PDA

View Full Version : Replacing teak platform

Skiufool
09-24-2004, 11:53 PM
I just got some bad news from my roommate - who had to put away my boat for me today because I had to rush off to work - that he backed the boat up too far and damaged/broke the teak platform. I haven't seen it for myself yet, but I think he may have broken part of the handle grips of the platform.

Anyway, does anybody know where and how much a new platform would cost if it is beyond repair? The only place I can imagine is a Mastercraft dealer. And I had a good day at the lake today before I had to come into work...it all just went downhill!

ski_king
09-25-2004, 07:24 AM
There always seems to be one for sale on Ebay.
Do a look up on Teak Platform.
In addition to the used ones, there is one auction for a new one, custom made to fit.

André
09-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Depending on the damages,maybe a good wood working person could fix it.
It's only wood,expensive one but still wood!

H20skeefreek
09-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Depending on the damages,maybe a good wood working person could fix it.
It's only wood,expensive one but still wood!

I've been talking to a local guy who deals in "premium" lumber. He says you could build a platform out of Ipe, for 1/2 the price of teak, and it'd look better. I'm thinking of trying it. If i do, i'll design it after the current MC platforms w/o the slots. I'd make it longer too. If i wasn't flat broke, i'd build one and sell you my old one for a good price.

Skiufool
09-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Awww...come on SkeeFriek...hook a brother up! haha...thanks for the help!

H20skeefreek
09-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Awww...come on SkeeFriek...hook a brother up! haha...thanks for the help!

sorry bro, i'll reiterate the FLAT BROKE statement. Now if you wanna give me 350 bucks for it, that's a different story :D

tph
09-25-2004, 01:05 PM
I just got some bad news from my roommate - who had to put away my boat for me today because I had to rush off to work - that he backed the boat up too far and damaged/broke the teak platform. I haven't seen it for myself yet, but I think he may have broken part of the handle grips of the platform.

Anyway, does anybody know where and how much a new platform would cost if it is beyond repair? The only place I can imagine is a Mastercraft dealer. And I had a good day at the lake today before I had to come into work...it all just went downhill!

I built a Marine plywood platform for my '83 a few years ago. It is two thicknesses of 1" plywood covered with marine resin and carpet. I enlarged the size by 6 inches front to rear and it's almost as wide as the stern. It's great for putting on boards and skiis.

Leroy
09-25-2004, 06:06 PM
I tried to find the company that makes the platforms, could not, but did see many teak outside furniture companies (same wood?). Seems like they could make and ship a special piece of teak. How many boards are ruined? Could you get a board and rebuild it or is most of the platform damaged?

Skiufool
09-25-2004, 07:32 PM
I went and inspected the damages today and its not as bad as I thought. Only the outer stringer piece was broken. I removed that one piece and not even the support beams underneathe were damaged. I found a guy on the internet that furnishes teak platforms and I gave him the dimensions and he should be returning with a quote some time later today. I also talked with the dealership and he said he could repair it no problem, but was looking at about $150! I thought that was a little steep! I'll see what happens and let everybody know!

Here's a picture of the damage...Needless to say, a refurnishing of the teak will be taking place!

H20skeefreek
09-25-2004, 09:47 PM
I went and inspected the damages today and its not as bad as I thought. Only the outer stringer piece was broken. I removed that one piece and not even the support beams underneathe were damaged. I found a guy on the internet that furnishes teak platforms and I gave him the dimensions and he should be returning with a quote some time later today. I also talked with the dealership and he said he could repair it no problem, but was looking at about $150! I thought that was a little steep! I'll see what happens and let everybody know!

Here's a picture of the damage...Needless to say, a refurnishing of the teak will be taking place!

150 seems a bit high

check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2491434706&category=26455

G-man
09-26-2004, 07:02 PM
See if your local dealer has a teak transom protector. You could shape it to fit. Most transom protectors are larger than what you would need.

jake
09-27-2004, 12:30 PM
You could fix that pretty easy with a few basic tools. You're looking at about $22 for a piece of teak (roughly 4"x60" ~ 1.75 board feet @ $15/board foot). Just be sure to use a poly glue like Gorilla Glue, not basic yellow wood glue.

I built a whole new platform for my 93' for about $200, but I got a pretty good deal on the wood.

Here's a good source for the wood. They'll cut it to size and ship it to you. They might also be able to get you a better deal than $15/foot because they maintain a pretty good stock of shorts. Good chance they may have a small piece about the size you need.

http://www.highlandhardwoods.com/unfinished-hardwood-floors.html

I agree you could shape a teak transom protector like George said, but the dealer is going to charge you close to $100 for a $25 piece of wood.

Even with paying shipping, you'd be money ahead if you went to a hardwood dealer.

east tx skier
09-27-2004, 05:18 PM
That doesn't appear to be too difficult a fix. Just a matter of shaping/cutting the wood and attaching it. Good luck!

rasmithaz
09-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Check out "teakworld" in lebanon tn. They built your platform and he makes replacement teak for all platforms. He is reasonably priced and since he built in the first place your not going to have any problem describing the piece. easy fix ...good luck

Tom Wortham
09-28-2004, 04:18 PM

Saw another teak platform on E-Bay. Auction ended. Sold for $92

east tx skier
09-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Was that the one for a centurion?

Skiufool
09-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Hey Rasmithaz, Does that Teakworld have a web site or no? I couldn't find it on the internet. I'm in CA, so maybe you could get me a phone number or something? That sounds like a good way to go! Thanks!

rasmithaz
09-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Here you go my friend....Teakworld...lebanon, tennessee....
615-444-7269.

Skiufool
09-29-2004, 03:04 AM
Awesome Ras...thanks a bunch!

Skiufool
09-30-2004, 06:22 PM
I just spoke with Teakworld in Lebanon, TN and I just purchased a new stringer piece. Cost for the new piece plus shipping to CA was only $60! Plus, Tommy at Teakworld is more than helpful in offering advice in restoring, repairing or replacing your teak platforms! I highly recommend him to anybody looking for some help on their teak platform!

Thanks Ras!

bcampbe7
09-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Awesome to hear. I am only an hour from Lebanon, TN...