PDA

View Full Version : A few basic questions from a new owner

hz900
03-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi all, new owner of a '92 Prostar 205.

Just took the boat out for the first time this weekend since purchase and noticed a few things and have a few questions.

I ran it for about an hour just testing things out since it just got summerized. Was quite pleased that after getting it started (had a little issue there) it ran quite well. I noticed right before I was loading it up that the oil pressure guage was reading a little low (I am a bit of a gearhead when it comes to cars so this is my point of reference). It was reading about 20 psi. I am a chevy 350 guy and most of my motors run about 40-60 psi. Is this normal range or low? I was loading it so I didn't bother looking to see if the oil level was right, but will do so before taking it back out.

Also can someone tell me what kind of engine was put in these? It has a Holley carberator on it, is that stock? Also anything I should keep and eye on? I'm pretty anal when it comes to properly maintaining anything I own so I'm just trying to be thurough.

Thanks is advance.

tommcat
03-27-2006, 01:54 PM
the general rule of thumb we always use with chevy small blocks is 10psi for every thousand RPM. 20 psi at idle is perfectly normal.
holley carbs are factory from MC

BrianM
03-27-2006, 01:55 PM
You most likely have a Ford 351w and a Holly 4010 carb. Oil pressure seems about right. The gauge probably isn't the most accurate but at idle 20psi is ok at speed you should probably see the 40 to 60 range.

Change your raw water impeller annually, change the oil every 50 hours, keep up with 100hr or so service of plugs, rotor, cap and wires and if it is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks Stabil the fuel. Besides that gas it and use it. These boats like to run so generally the boats that get used and regurally maintained have the best reliability.

G-man
03-27-2006, 02:08 PM
check out the faq section, loads of information

hz900
03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
You most likely have a Ford 351w and a Holly 4010 carb. Oil pressure seems about right. The gauge probably isn't the most accurate but at idle 20psi is ok at speed you should probably see the 40 to 60 range.

Change your raw water impeller annually, change the oil every 50 hours, keep up with 100hr or so service of plugs, rotor, cap and wires and if it is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks Stabil the fuel. Besides that gas it and use it. These boats like to run so generally the boats that get used and regurally maintained have the best reliability.

Thanks. I was planning on doing the plugs/wires/cap/rotor in the next month or so anyway, just to be safe. The previous/original owner knew very little about working on it so he had it serviced every year and took their word for it, so he couldn't tell me much other than it was serviced yearly.

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Replied to another thread about the 4010 carb. If it has a dual/forked feed on the starboard side of the carb, it's the stock 4010. If it's a single feed, it's a stock 4160 (I say stock because 4160s are available in dual feed configurations). If it's the 4010, you have the 351 HO. If not, you have the 351 (at 250 hp I believe).

I had lots of trouble with the 4010 and have mentioned that in your other thread.