PDA

View Full Version : Fat seat vs Sofa Style

ksdaoski
03-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Looking to add ballast and thought the new Fly High Seat looked like a good option, as its constructed with their high impact, low puncture material. However, it doesnt have a back like the sofa styles do. Is the seat comfortable? Add good weight? Anyone used these? Thanks

SKI*MC
04-02-2006, 11:09 PM
The one thing about the seat, it just goes flat after you take the water out, the only way for it to keep its form to sit on it after you empty the water is to fill it with air. What boat are you planning on going with this in?

ksdaoski
04-03-2006, 07:41 PM
it will be for an 88 Prostar. Is it bad to take the boat out of the water, with the fat sack filled?

I figured it would get a combination of water and air to keep shape-

The one thing about the seat, it just goes flat after you take the water out, the only way for it to keep its form to sit on it after you empty the water is to fill it with air. What boat are you planning on going with this in?

erkoehler
04-03-2006, 07:42 PM
it will be for an 88 Prostar. Is it bad to take the boat out of the water, with the fat sack filled?

I figured it would get a combination of water and air to keep shape-

That is alot of extra weight that is on your trailer, I would not consider it a good thing, and I would never do it.

DanC
04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't think there will be any problem with your trailer, pulling out with your sofa sack full. It would be the same as pulling the boat out with 4 people in it or loaded up with houseboating supplies :toast: and I did that all the time (if your tow vehicle can handle it). However, you may have a tough time getting the boat on the trailer correctly, or traction on a wet ramp, depending on the angle of your ramp. Remember, your boat will be riding a lot lower in the water.

Issues with sofas are;
-they have baffles inside so they can be very difficult and time consuming to fully empty
-You will need to offset it with 40% of its weight in the bow

SouthWaker
04-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I've taken mine out the water with two lounges full to make a short trip to the gas station and back. No problems except you know your boat has gained a little weight. :steering:

ksdaoski
04-03-2006, 09:48 PM
the boat ramp is literally across the street and down 3 houses....1.5 minute walk. I was just thinking it would be nice if I didnt have fill and refill all the time....hit the lake after work, and then again on the weekend...

Im thinking about getting this one:

w710
http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/fly_high_ballast_bag/fly_high_fat_seat_sac_w710

no back rest though....anybody use one?

SKI*MC
04-03-2006, 10:21 PM
i would still drain it
not all the way... but having all they weright isnt too good for the trailer..

SouthWaker
04-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I'll have to agree, even though I took a trip to the station with them full, over night would be a different story. I've always drained mine at the end of the day. I just got two new 750 pound sacs with two of the newer pumps though. So fill time should not be a 30 minute process for me anymore.

BrianM
04-04-2006, 12:26 PM
I tell you life is so much easier when you are just trying to keep your boat light for no wake. All this fat sac business make me tired just thinking about it.