PDA

View Full Version : Which wakeboard?

iokua
03-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Looking for advice on wakeboards for a beginner; I've always just skied but would like to wakeboard more (tried a few times). I don't want to spend an arm and a leg (under $300 w/bindings, if possible). I know I can get one off craigslist or go down to the local sports store and get one, but there are so many models and brands....what should I look for?

Thanks

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 11:43 PM
What weight and level? I have an s-load of crap around! If I don't have it I may know where you can find it!

iokua
03-25-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm about 150 (give or take 10 depending on season); so a range of maybe 140-180 (for friends/brother, too). Beginner level; I've only gone a few times.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 03:15 PM
O'brien oasis.....

firstmc
03-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I have and Obrien with Obrien Link bindings.. it awesome and comfortable... I bought it during the season from West marine for about $250.00. Defitnely worth it!!! Comfortable binding is what you want!!! here one that is close to mine...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/143552/10001/12204/360/23

River Rat
03-25-2006, 04:02 PM
go to your local pro shop, I just bought a 2005 Hyperlite State and lace up boots for under $200 Close out special on 2005 stuff

RackAtak
03-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Looking for advice on wakeboards for a beginner; I've always just skied but would like to wakeboard more (tried a few times). I don't want to spend an arm and a leg (under $300 w/bindings, if possible). I know I can get one off craigslist or go down to the local sports store and get one, but there are so many models and brands....what should I look for?

Thanks
A word of advice from another beginner. Buy the best boots you can afford. Alot of package boots are very uncomfortable and they will make your feet miserable. After using the Spin Boots that came with my package, I ended up buying a pair of 2005 Hyperlite Byerly's off of E-Bay for $170.00 shipped. regular retail is over $300.00 I use a Hyperlite Motive 144cm board.

SteveO
03-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Don't know what area you are at, but TX MC in DFW has some good prices...http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6537. The state combo as mentioned earlier in the link is an awesome starter setup

iokua
03-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the info, guys!

3event
03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm on a Hyperlite Belmont with some dated but decent Hyperlite hiwraps. I'm sticking with that brand, good results and everyone I know is using them and also pleased. I have bought from:

www.buywake.com
(a friend of mine knows the owners, but I didn't need his help to get taken care of, great service)

Others on the board have used this place, and I see lotsa deals:

www.wileyski.com

But local proshops with leftover gear from last year can be the best deal if you find anything.

Nuts4Water
03-27-2006, 07:22 PM
The Hyperlite Motive is one of the best beginer boards that a person can grow into. Hyperlite has sold that design for a long time and it has stood the test of time. It is one of the best all around boards I have ever ridden. As a matter of fact I still have one that I use to teach my friends to wakeboard on. You will not be disapointed.

bkhallpass
03-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Here are some internet sites which have discount and clearance gear. I agree with an earlier post- buy better boots if you can afford it. Last year's upper end Liquid Force and Hyperlite boots are all over the net for $130-170. Many of these sites also sell on ebay, and the buy it now prices are sometimes better than on their websites.

evogear.com
uswakesupply.com
munsonski.com
adrenalinesports.com
grizzly-sports.com
wakegiant.com
the-house.com
midwest mastercraft (don't remember the url)
boardco.com

If you know the model you are looking for, you can do a froogle search on google and that is also helpful.

BKH

Footin
03-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Last year I bought an Obrein Science with Link bindings from Overton's.
It was "last years" colors so it was on sale. After all the discounts, I got it for 199.00 shipped to my door. I have been very happy with it so far.

jraben8
03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
2-3 weeks ago I picked up a '05 Liquid Force Team 139 for $150 off ebay. I already have bindings that I like. It's not a bad place if you are careful and patient.

Ramhouse
03-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I have some stuff laying around..what is your weight and shoe size...i have an O'brien board and a pair of Hyperlite Era bindings for about $150.00 pluus shipping. Both are new but a year or so old model. Board is 03 and bindings are 04...Let me know...

iokua
03-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Wow, great info keeps coming - thanks guys!

Ramhouse - I am about 150lbs and have a shoe size 9-9.5.

Am interested in your board/bindings - would like to do some research on them though for personal interest. Thanks for the offer; I'll let you know.

jsonova99
03-30-2006, 12:16 AM
A word of advice from another beginner. Buy the best boots you can afford. Alot of package boots are very uncomfortable and they will make your feet miserable. After using the Spin Boots that came with my package, I ended up buying a pair of 2005 Hyperlite Byerly's off of E-Bay for $170.00 shipped. regular retail is over $300.00 I use a Hyperlite Motive 144cm board.

This is how I bought my Hyperlite, about the same price even. there were a lot of brand new ones really cheap on Ebay.

Maristar210
03-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Rack said exactly what i was going to.... Buy the nice boots. Although I did not get my Byerly's for $170 like him I paid in full $329 plus tax and the board...

Steve

kalanic
03-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Nice boots make all the differance! I found my Hyperlite Murrays on ebay for $175 delivered. They were $295 at the recent boat show. You can't settle for cheap boots, You'll pay later with tore up, cramped feet. Not fun!

iokua
04-01-2006, 09:42 PM
OK, was at a local pro shop today (actually, same shop two different locations):

First location told me:

Hyperlite State 135 with any in stock (comparable) 2005 boots (hyperlite Era) for $250. He said they didn't have any Bylery boots but the other store did. He would still do the deal with boots from the other store.

Second location told me:

$250 is too cheap; we can only do it for $287 with the Byerly's - $250 with Era's.

Thoughts? Seems to me $287 is still a good deal. The second store tried calling the first store to talk with the salesman but he was with another customer. I also found out the State 135 was a demo although it looked brand new. They admitted the cost of the byerly's was their cost ($155).

Eagle
04-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Personally, I wouldn't go with the State board. It has an asymmetric outline for folks who have trouble with their toesides. I think that if you're beginning, it's better to learn to ride properly, in particular, how to ride toeside, to start with. I'd recommend the Hyperlite Motive. It's a great board, one of the best ever designed and has stood the test of time. It's great for beginners all the way to pros so it's a board you can learn on and stay with.

bkhallpass
04-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Iokua,

I'm not a pro wakeboarder, but I would say

1) Try on the boots. The Eras and the Byerly's are much different in fit. I like the Parks, my buddy like the Temets (predecessor to the Murrays). I hear Liquid Force Alphas are great, and some of the Obrien and CWB boots look pretty good to me as well. Once you've found a boot you think is comfortable, leave it on for at least 20 minutes, both feet. Now that you know the boot and size, look online for prices. Use the pricing to negotiate at your local shop. If it's close, I say give the business to the local guy. If the boots are $20 more than you want to spend, buy it anyway, you won't regret it if you've found the right boots.

2) Don't just take the boards they have at the shop. I agree Hyperlite motive is a great board beginner to advanced intermediate. CWB sol is supposed to be excellent.
Liquid force Evo or Blindside session would be fine as well. At 150 lbs, you can use
a 134 or 135 and these are easier to find one year old on the net. If budget is an
issue, then spend the money on the boots. There are at least a half dozen new, beginner boards on Ebay between 89 and 109 at the buy it now price. You may outgrow them in a year, but so what. That's a year away, you'll know more about what you want, and you can always sell the board for 50 or 75 bucks.

My $.02 BKH