PDA

View Full Version : I Quit!!!

RackAtak
03-24-2006, 08:14 PM
My last attempt to stop smoking was on January 17, 2006. I went 3 weeks without a cigarette with the help of the patch. When I ran out of patches I told myself I didn't need them anymore, went another week or so without them and bingo! I started smoking again. :(

Well, it's time to quit again. Starting tomorrow I am going to put the patch back on and do it!

milkmania
03-24-2006, 08:17 PM
My last attempt to stop smoking was on January 17, 2006. I went 3 weeks without a cigarette with the help of the patch. When I ran out of patches I told myself I didn't need them anymore, went another week or so without them and bingo! I started smoking again. :(

Well, it's time to quit again. Starting tomorrow I am going to put the patch back on and do it!

the patch only works if you smoke it8p

seriously, hope you have luck with quitting

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Buy lots of straws! Cut them in half and fill up an old pack with them! When you want a fire stick pull out a straw and chew, blow, suck I don't care! Next, if you really must have one do pushups and situps! You will hate those more than you like fire sticks! Last, get the word C out of your vocabulary! Nothing makes me want one more than a damn cancer ad, change the channel! I and all are here for you and I promise I am done as well!

Andrť
03-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Good luck Rack,you CAN do it!!! :dance: :toast:
My dad stopped at 70 after a stroke.Said he should have stop before.He feels good now at 76.The food taste a lot better too... :twocents:

erkoehler
03-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Thats great guys, good luck!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 08:41 PM
I heard someone mention to me today, they are preparing to outlaw smoking in all restaurants and bars in the area. By this time next year as I heard. I will investigate this claim tomorrow. But so far... Sounds like a great idea.

Rack, I wish you all the luck quitting. I love to hear about people successfully kickin' it. Keep us posted.

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Rack is a bad arse and the little three inch stick ain't gonna take him in! Now Clint Eastwood in that movie where the kids stole them cows, that would be different!

rodltg2
03-24-2006, 08:53 PM
no likes quitter :D

RackAtak
03-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Rack is a bad arse and the little three inch stick ain't gonna take him in! Now Clint Eastwood in that movie where the kids stole them cows, that would be different!
That three inch stick runs my life...oh, wait a minute, I was confused about which stick you were talking about :D

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 08:54 PM
I don't let mine run my life! I do go to it alot for advice though!

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 09:07 PM
That's awesome Rack!
:toast:

Keep us posted.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Good luck Rack! Just give it your all! You CAN do it! :wavey:

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 09:17 PM
You can do it (in my best voice of the guy from Waterboy) :toast:

milkmania
03-24-2006, 09:22 PM
You can do it (in my best voice of the guy from Waterboy) :toast:

http://www.krstarica.com/slike/magazin/biografije_poznatih/rsnaider.jpg

TMCNo1
03-24-2006, 09:26 PM
I started wearing the patch the other day for Budweiser, A label off a 20 oz. Bud light, double stick taped to my arm. I now hate the second hand beer smell, when you walk by the local bar!

River Rat
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Good luckÖÖ quitting after 19 years was the hardest thing Iíve ever done in my life! I quit short term many times but it never stuck (up to 6 months one time). One day I was changing out the toilet in my house stood up and could not breathe. I smoked my but off that night and havenít picked up one since. You mind has to be made up itís time or you are just wasting it. After 2 weeks my wife sat me down and told me to get outÖ..donít come back without gum or cigs :o . I was real nasty to everybody for that first 2 wks. Came back with gum but I was already over the hump. After the first 6 months I had lost most of my cravings but every now and then I get one, and itís been 6 years for me. :steering: I wish you all the luck in the world cus once you kick it youíll wonder how you ever did it in the first place. Iím to the point now that I can enjoy a good cigar from time to time. (About 2 or 3 time a year)

and the food does tast better :rolleyes:

88 PS190
03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Make yourself abide by the rewards deal, instead of buying X packs a day. I want you to put the money into a fund, and when you get to a certain amount, say a ski's worth, or whatever you want, something else you love whatever it is (new MC)

By the time you save that kinda cash you really won't want a ciggy.

Good luck man, everyone has it in them.

Still trying to get my brother to quit.

Wanting to quit is half the battle.

RackAtak
03-24-2006, 10:34 PM
I started wearing the patch the other day for Budweiser, A label off a 20 oz. Bud light, double stick taped to my arm. I now hate the second hand beer smell, when you walk by the local bar!
You crack me up. You're a certifiable whack job!!! :D :D Your wife is a saint to put up with you after all these years! Ha Ha 8p

TMCNo1
03-24-2006, 11:24 PM
You crack me up. You're a certifiable whack job!!! :D :D Your wife is a saint to put up with you after all these years! Ha Ha 8p

Goin' on 35 years and she tells everyone, that she never knows what will come out of my mouth. But, its all good, cause you might as well have fun, just keep it between the banks of the river. :steering:

By the way? Are the smiles moving tonight? If not how do you get them to move, they did yesterday?

Leroy
03-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Way to go RackAtak and Hoosier Bob! Hold strong! My parents each quit when they were around 55. Enabled them to have many more years of quality life.

THey did eat a lot of cabbage, needed something to eat, things taste better, did not want to gain too much weight, etc.

Andyg
03-25-2006, 01:00 AM
I know how you are feeling. I quit chewing on January 5th this year after 15 years, it is amazing how fast time goes. I kept telling myself I will quit eventually. Well I finally told myself enough was enough. I said if I could quit my $150 a month habit I would reward myself with a new truck. Well it has been over 3 months now and guess what, I have a brand new 2006 F-150 sitting in the garage. I still think about it daily, especially if I go out for a few drinks. I just kept reminding myself of that bright red F150 sitting in the garage and the cravings miraculously go away.

Brent
03-25-2006, 08:54 AM

mitch
03-25-2006, 09:14 AM
I hit 3 years last week you can do it!!

I tried the patch, but as soon as I stopped using them I had wicked cravings again. I quit cold turkey. Actually made a bet with a buddy who also smoked $500--->1st one to smoke pays up, great incentive. I collected my 500 and kept my quit :D He's still smoking today, but he was cool, he payed up, and I accepted :banana:

Good luck!

east tx skier
03-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Good luck, Rack.

JEREMY79
03-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Well he!!, You all have. I decided to quit. Today was the first day without nicotine. A little grumpy and edgy, but it was ok. Tommorw will be kinda rough though.

bcampbe7
03-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Awesome Jeremy!
Hang in there!

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Find something to do! Pollish your boat or go for a run! Way to go J79! :D

JEREMY79
03-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Felt like I have starved to death all day. Got to not replace it with food. Think I might go work on the boat.

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Starving or more of an upset stomach and flu like feelings are probably the norm. I will say after (I won't say how long) awhile you won't believe how great you feel. I don't care what kind of tobacco it is it is good get it out of your system. Take care!
PS I have found I see the Hoosier thread much more clearly since I quit!

erkoehler
03-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Jeremy, congrats man.....thats AWESOME!!!!

Tell the wife, your going to continue to put that saved money into boat projects! That should keep you busy and your mind occuppied.

twieder
03-26-2006, 02:15 AM
I started when I was 15. Thought it was 'cool' and impressed the chicks. :noface:
Quit 5 years ago and lasted about a year and a half before sparkin back up again. :noface: :cry:
I gave up cigs last summer for cigars, but I'm not sure if one is the lesser evil or not.Instead of a pack and a half, I generally go thru 4 or 5 cigars a day. (Blackstone, Swisher, and the like) It is deffinately alot cheeper though. I can get 10 Blackstone tipped cigars for about $3 and that will last a day and a half atleast! Compair that to alittle over $4 a pack for cigs would cost me about 6 a day.

Still, no excuse and I hope someday I can build up the courage and willpower to quit for good.

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 08:04 PM
How we doin' with all of the clean air and extra energy Rackman? What are you buying with all of that extra cash?
HB

School Skier
03-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Good Luck Rack! It's not worth wrecking you're health or dying for. Keep motivated!

RackAtak
03-29-2006, 10:05 PM
So far so good. 5 days and a definite battle! Suprisingly good mood. So far my wife still likes me.

6ballsisall
03-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Alright Rack!! Keep up the good work!!

JEREMY79
03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I bombed. Back to normal

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Way to go! You never told us what you were going to buy with all of that extra cash! New ski, boat or house?

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2006, 10:10 PM
You took a break, fell off, now get back on! :o Yeah, I bombed. Back to normal

6ballsisall
03-29-2006, 10:14 PM
C'mon Jeremy, you can do it!! :guitar:

RackAtak
03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Way to go! You never told us what you were going to buy with all of that extra cash! New ski, boat or house?
I'm thinking a subwoofer and a gym membership and maybe if I'm really good, my wife will cave for the X-9 but I think she wants a new diamond first :eek:

LakePirate
03-29-2006, 10:19 PM
I once tried to quit dipping snuff in college....made it all day...until about 10 o'clock, had my roommate, who I had given my snuff to, pinned up against the wall demanding it back. Haven't tried to quit since. I have cut down, but I don't really want to quit so attempting is futile at this point. To those of you who do here are some stats.

After 72 hours the nicotine is out of your system and the cravings for nicotine will stop. The real battle is stopping the oral fixation, those cravings don't stop near as fast.

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Diamond? I have been dodging that one for awhile! Go with the gym! At least until the SS thread is restored! Home sub or boat? I just blew one of my home subs and am having the amp repaired! Way to go! Did you just call Jeremy a pu***? C'mon Jeremy can do it!

JEREMY79
03-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I made it almost all day. I dont really want to quit. That really makes it hard.

RackAtak
03-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Diamond? I have been dodging that one for awhile! Go with the gym! At least until the SS thread is restored! Home sub or boat? I just blew one of my home subs and am having the amp repaired! Way to go! Did you just call Jeremy a pu***? C'mon Jeremy can do it!
Boat sub, the home sub is working fine. Hey Hoosier you starting stuff over here now? Whatever you do don't get this one locked!!! This is support!

Going through swimsuit withdrawls and nicotine withdrawls at the same time is more of a test than any man should have to go through!

LakePirate
03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
I made it almost all day. I dont really want to quit. That really makes it hard.

It was the down time at home that got me....drank a few beers, played some madden 98, got bored, needed some snuff.

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I am sorry but we may need a "Hoosier quit startin' crap!" thread! I don't know what to do! The cigarettes I can do with out! If WFT or UMP or Brian or Milky or Jeremy or Erk or Steve or Stevo or Beau or Jeff or Pencaseo or Rod or whomever else are getting along this becomes some kind of love in! I ain't havin that! Where is WFT when you need him?
PS I don't think it was me that got anything locked! I may however have endorsed a product that I do believe in vehemently! :D

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey Lake the how you can fall off and start back again thread has not been started yet! This is for how you quit and in the least what to avoid (that is usually what gets me)!! We want to hear how you stopped, today, and never picked it back up! :D It was the down time at home that got me....drank a few beers, played some madden 98, got bored, needed some snuff.

LakePirate
03-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Hey Lake the how you can fall off and start back again thread has not been started yet! This is for how you quit and in the least what to avoid (that is usually what gets me)!! We want to hear how you stopped, today, and never picked it back up! :D

So does the wife....

Sorry, "feeling their pain"

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
I am sorry but we may need a "Hoosier quit startin' crap!" thread! I don't know what to do! The cigarettes I can do with out! If WFT or UMP or Brian or Milky or Jeremy or Erk or Steve or Stevo or Beau or Jeff or Pencaseo or Rod or whomever else are getting along this becomes some kind of love in! I ain't havin that! Where is WFT when you need him?
PS I don't think it was me that got anything locked! I may however have endorsed a product that I do believe in vehemently!
I don't know what your point is here..:rolleyes: . But we are happy to see some members are givin' up on the tobacco train. :toast:
NOW, YOU on the other hand, apparently need some help getting off the "wacky tobacky" train. Stop smokin' that stuff, between you and your insanity plea and UMP on the YOGA, I am getting the "munchies"....:D

bcampbe7
03-30-2006, 11:02 AM
...If WFT or UMP or Brian or Milky or Jeremy or Erk or Steve or Stevo or Beau or Jeff or Pencaseo or Rod or whomever else are getting along this becomes some kind of love in!...

I don't understand either Bob.

Weren't you the one that wanted to spoon with W4T?

Keep up the fight guys! :toast:

Hoosier Bob
03-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I am just moody that's all! I wasn't saying I wanted to spoon! In my mind what I was trying to present was one of those situations where two bad arses yell and push but never get to swinging! They wrestle around for a bit then quit! I added the spoon part for color! :D Are you fightin' or spoonin'?

bcampbe7
04-03-2006, 11:31 PM
bump...

How are things going?

JEREMY79
04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Still bombed. Dipping like normal. :noface:

RackAtak
04-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Still on the wagon. Doing pretty good mood wise. More of a mind over matter thing at this point. I'll update next week...stay tuned... :o

beef
04-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Nice job. Stick with it, it will help your skiing! I did the same thing a few years back. You just have to constantly remind yourself not to smoke, at this point.

River Rat
04-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Keep it up :banana: :steering: :banana:

JEREMY79
05-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Yesterday made three weeks for me. No skoal. :wavey:

RackAtak
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
You're doing better than me! Keep it up.

JEREMY79
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
first week was hell. After that it wasnt too bad. There is still sometimes That I want one. Like after a beer and or a meal.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Keep on a keepin on guys! you can do it. :wavey:

Hey, speaking of this thread, wonder if HB is still trying to wrestle and spoon?? :uglyhamme

pq2
05-31-2006, 01:06 PM
its so hard, i had tried 3 times, here i go for the fourth. wich kind of patches do you recomend guys????

JimN
05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
I have heard contraceptive patches are good for kicking other things like tobacco. Oh sure, you may be moody, bloated, have other cravings (chocolate is a big one) and may cry a lot, but there's a good chance that you'll forget about whatever it was that originally made you put the patch on.

I have also heard that these patches eliminate that unsightly body hair. :uglyhamme

LakePirate
06-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Not to encourage anyone to keep using tobacco, but if you go to Sam's and ask for the 2 for 4.99 (or your local cost, I know it is more in Louisiana) Skoal box you can get it for 1.88 a can.

Hoosier Bob
06-26-2006, 10:53 PM
You forgot Merril Streep movies! Man I cried at that one! :o I have heard contraceptive patches are good for kicking other things like tobacco. Oh sure, you may be moody, bloated, have other cravings (chocolate is a big one) and may cry a lot, but there's a good chance that you'll forget about whatever it was that originally made you put the patch on.

I have also heard that these patches eliminate that unsightly body hair. :uglyhamme

Hoosier Bob
11-20-2006, 10:02 PM
OK! I quit smoking last Thursday! Not a one except for the one I have been smoking for the last 4 days! Not lighted of course! So far I get it and I do not need it! It was KILLING me! I never smoke that much but it still has an impact on my quality of life. I understand if you do not want Hoosier around anyway but as long as I have known I could just quit like that! "Like that" is tough! Every time I want a Cig I just post and I have been posting more as of late!:o

erkoehler
11-20-2006, 10:08 PM
OK! I quit smoking last Thursday! Not a one except for the one I have been smoking for the last 4 days! Not lighted of course! So far I get it and I do not need it! It was KILLING me! I never smoke that much but it still has an impact on my quality of life. I understand if you do not want Hoosier around anyway but as long as I have known I could just quit like that! "Like that" is tough! Every time I want a Cig I just post and I have been posting more as of late!:o

I've noticed....

bigmac
11-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Chantix.

http://www.chantix.com/

So far, this stop-smoking drug looks very promising.

Hoosier Bob
11-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I have been using HONDA! The more I spend on these bikes the les I have for smoke! I will post pics as I have been modifying daily!

Bruce
11-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Those cravings are worse when associated with certain activites. When I was trying to quit I was asked if I always smoked after sex. Truthfully I never looked!

pram
11-21-2006, 02:22 AM

Keep up the good work HB. Post until you can't feel your fingers (the skin will grow back I promise).

Mar 5 it will be 3 years for me and I feel better now than I have in years. Keep at it and each day overall will get easier and easier to deal with.

Just keep on doing what ever it takes to make it through the 15 - 20 seconds that you are having the craving. It will pass

Chief
11-21-2006, 06:23 AM
I am trying also. Like some I don't smoke much, but smoking is smoking. I am currently taking Zyban and I have my ups and downs. I am suppose take two a day and quit in the 4th week but some days I just have to light one up or someone dies!

djhuff
11-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I quit Aug 30th. Grandmother passed from smoking related complications and I haven't wanted one since. Went two days, got the shakes really bad during a dart match, lit one up, took a couple of drags, felt better, never lit again.

I now have to either hurt myself riding, or someone has to remind me that there are others waiting their turn because I can ride forever now.