PDA

View Full Version : Why???

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Is there a reason a doc can't highly recommend someone stop smoking? Reason I ask why I was in the ER today there was a lady in her 50's in the same room (cheesy hospital with curtains between stations) and she sounded horrible. I heard her breath it was saddening, and when she talked you could tell she was a chain smoker........ turns out the lady had a tumor and had 1mil air passage (ok, i was listening in, what else you gonna do laying there in one of those lovely hospital gowns?) The lady frieked out and asked the nurses, doctors, everyone, to start praying for her.... it was kinda sad. What really shocked me is NOT ONCE did the docs tell her she had to quit smoking as it was killing her.

Can they not tell people that? Is there some antibuse type drug they can give smokers to quit smoking??

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 06:13 PM
They can and they do...

I worked in the radiology department while in college. I mainly worked in the Special Procedures area, where they do arteriograms and such. We had a patient come in and while he was in the holding area, before his procedure (arteriogram on his leg, he later had to have the leg removed), the surgeon came in to talk to him. After their talk he basically asked him if he was going to stop because at this point he had put his daughter through college due to the income off of the surgeries that this guy had already had. Guy said he could not stop.

Those that smoke know what they are doing to themselves. They can stop if they truely want to. If they don't stop they should be prepared to face the consequences.

Keep in mind though that not all lung, throat and mouth cancers are caused by smoking.

:twocents:

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't feel bad for smokers, we all reap what we sow. I guess I was just shocked that no where in the conversation did the docs or nurses tell her she needed to stop smoking. It was amazing hearing all the meds this lady was on there must have been 20+ meds for heart, liver, kidneys, blood pressure, etc... I am sure this lady has to know smoking is killing her but you'd think the Doc would at least try and "remind" her

RackAtak
03-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Those that smoke know what they are doing to themselves. They can stop if they truely want to. If they don't stop they should be prepared to face the consequences.
:twocents:
I have already had a shot fired over the bow by my cardiologist. If I don't quit now, he will see me in the ER by the time I'm 50...I'm 43 now. I am a very strong willed person in every aspect of my life except my ability to quit smoking. I recently went without smoking for over 2 1/2 years. Had a couple and before I knew it I was smoking again. As far as the statement that a person can stop if they truly want to, with all due respect, if you have never smoked, you have no idea how strong the addiction really is and if you were a smoker in the past and you quit I'm open for some tips!

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 06:36 PM
I have already had a shot fired over the bow by my cardiologist. If I don't quit now, he will see me in the ER by the time I'm 50...I'm 43 now. I am a very strong willed person in every aspect of my life except my ability to quit smoking. I recently went without smoking for over 2 1/2 years. Had a couple and before I knew it I was smoking again. As far as the statement that a person can stop if they truly want to, with all due respect, if you have never smoked, you have no idea how strong the addiction really is and if you were a smoker in the past and you quit I'm open for some tips!

Nope, never touched the stuff.

But don't get me wrong, I am not belittling the addiction. However, people quick smoking every day. By you saying you quit for 2 1/2 years tells me that you have the ability to quit.
What made you have the first cigarette after 2.5 years of not having one?

Quitting any adiction is a lifelong decision and something you have to be committed to for the rest of your life. It's not something that will happen overnight by any means.

I think the first way to beat an addiction is to not start. ;)

If I could help you quit, I would in a heartbeat.

JEREMY79
03-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Smoked all the way through school. High school and Tech school. Quit for a year and started dipping. Even worse to try to quit.

milkmania
03-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Smoked all the way through school. High school and Tech school. Quit for a year and started dipping. Even worse to try to quit.

when I think of dipping, I think of Crawl in the movie Son in Law

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 06:45 PM
I have recently quit cold, 1 month. I just don't like the taste or the smell any more. I was never a pack a day person but always had my share. I am just happy that alchohol has no side effects! Can I get an amen to that!

JEREMY79
03-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Dont think I have ever seen it?

milkmania
03-24-2006, 06:53 PM
I have recently quit cold, 1 month. I just don't like the taste or the smell any more. I was never a pack a day person but always had my share. I am just happy that alchohol has no side effects! Can I get an amen to that!

smoked since 1982, had quit for a year around 1999...
house fire in 99 caused me to start back, yes, that is an excuse:rolleyes:

takes approx. 30 to 35 hours to smoke a pack of Marlboro Lights over the last 15 years.
I began smoking in school when I was staying with a girl from school, (long story)... was having a lot of back pain, she said these would help relax me.
Well, I got hooked, and I still have the back pain, but now it's compounded by injury, and the extra weight I've put on since injury.

I never cough. unless it's from sinus drainage.
I have no alergies.
I don't get the flu.
I do not wake up needing to cough up a lung before breakfast, but I do notice shortness in breath attributed to smoking & the weight gain.

milkmania
03-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Dont think I have ever seen it?

typical cheesy corny Pauly Shore stuff

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108186/

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Why are your posts so friggin long? I think the rule is if there is a blank space large enough to be occupied by breasts then it needs to be occupied by breasts!

RackAtak
03-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Nope, never touched the stuff.

But don't get me wrong, I am not belittling the addiction. However, people quick smoking every day. By you saying you quit for 2 1/2 years tells me that you have the ability to quit.
What made you have the first cigarette after 2.5 years of not having one?

Quitting any adiction is a lifelong decision and something you have to be committed to for the rest of your life. It's not something that will happen overnight by any means.

I think the first way to beat an addiction is to not start. ;)

If I could help you quit, I would in a heartbeat.
I have absolutely no excuse for starting again. I blame no one but myself and I kick myself in the azz everyday for starting up again. Especially here in Calif where you can't smoke anywhere. Time for the patch...again... and maybe we need to start a stop smoking support thread. How about it Hoosier?

Maristar210
03-24-2006, 07:03 PM

RACK

Hardest thing I ever did, by far. I've quit drinking, that was waaaay easier. Nicotene is similar to Heroin in its addiction power. I still miss it but know that it is bad so I don't ever think about having just one, I'm past it now even running which I could never do before.

You can do it, you have to WANT to do it, badly. IMO

Best of Luck - Steve ;)

milkmania
03-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Why are your posts so friggin long? I think the rule is if there is a blank space large enough to be occupied by breasts then it needs to be occupied by breasts!

the enter key on this key
boar
d
sti
sks

8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-24-2006, 07:04 PM
I know its not a chemical addiction or dependancy, but I dealt with the demon of weight loss. Now I believe that its a matter of choice, as was stated before, you need to WANT to quit. You have to make that choice for the rest of your life. I did this very thing. Some of you here know I used to be 311 lbs. I led a very unhealthy lifestyle. No activity, ate large amounts of bad foods. I hated myself. I was FAT. I had no one to blame but ME. it wasnt my parents fault, it wasnt my teachers fault, or whatever. I had to decide to make that change. Everyone asks HOW I did it. and I just dont know what to tell them... I played guitar in a concert and it was video taped. My parents and I watched the tape after. I was a land whale. I looked like 311 lbs of **** on that stage. I sat and watched that tape over and over.... I sat and thought. about 4 months after that, I woke up one day.....and I was lying there in bed, sore back from nothing but being too big. It hurt my back to even sleep I was so big. I said, thats it. Thats enough. I starred at my ceiling of my bedroom for about an hour that day. I knew I had to change my life or I was gonna die very young and be miserable until I did. I started that day. it will be my 4 year anniversary of that on March 26. I changed my life forever that day. March 26th, 2002. I never looked back. It took me a little over 1 year to lose 125 lbs. I busted my a$$ to do it. excercised 6 days a week. dieted. I endured, I persevered and I won. my goal was to get under 200 lbs. as long as I live, I will NEVER forget the day I got on that scale and it said 197. It was the one of the greatest days of my life. I believe its all mental. its in your head, you need to reprogram yourself. Its all in what you WANT more. do you want that cigarette, or bag of potato chips more than you want to be healthy and live longer. Its all about choice. I can say this. I have never understood the power of confidence and health that I would achieve by losing that weight. I am stronger physically, mentally and emotionally. Its done things for me that I could have never imagined before when I was heavy. and It allowed me to get back on my waterski after 7 years of being far too heavy.

This is my take on it. Right or wrong, its what I believe. I am living proof people can beat their demons. I lived with mine for 29 years. It took me one year to beat it. It can be done, it CAN be done! :twocents:

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Rack I am there! You start it! I have kind of used the Hey Hoosier what are you Drinkin' thread (thanks Steve/M210) as my crutch. I have found that the pictures relax me! I just sit there with my beer and a bunch of morons entertain me! What could be better!

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:07 PM
UMP I am a smoker/ drinker and I have ADD! What were you saying?

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:08 PM
So who is that skinny guy in all of your posts? ;) Way to go! I am trying to lose 10 lbs just to get back to playing weight!I know its not a chemical addiction or dependancy, but I dealt with the demon of weight loss. Now I believe that its a matter of choice, as was stated before, you need to WANT to quit. You have to make that choice for the rest of your life. I did this very thing. Some of you here know I used to be 311 lbs. I led a very unhealthy lifestyle. No activity, ate large amounts of bad foods. I hated myself. I was FAT. I had no one to blame but ME. it wasnt my parents fault, it wasnt my teachers fault, or whatever. I had to decide to make that change. Everyone asks HOW I did it. and I just dont know what to tell them... I played guitar in a concert and it was video taped. My parents and I watched the tape after. I was a land whale. I looked like 311 lbs of **** on that stage. I sat and watched that tape over and over.... I sat and thought. about 4 months after that, I woke up one day.....and I was lying there in bed, sore back from nothing but being too big. It hurt my back to even sleep I was so big. I said, thats it. Thats enough. I starred at my ceiling of my bedroom for about an hour that day. I knew I had to change my life or I was gonna die very young and be miserable until I did. I started that day. it will be my 4 year anniversary of that on March 26. I changed my life forever that day. March 26th, 2002. I never looked back. It took me a little over 1 year to lose 125 lbs. I busted my a$$ to do it. excercised 6 days a week. dieted. I endured, I persevered and I won. my goal was to get under 200 lbs. as long as I live, I will NEVER forget the day I got on that scale and it said 197. It was the one of the greatest days of my life. I believe its all mental. its in your head, you need to reprogram yourself. Its all in what you WANT more. do you want that cigarette, or bag of potato chips more than you want to be healthy and live longer. Its all about choice. I can say this. I have never understood the power of confidence and health that I would achieve by losing that weight. I am stronger physically, mentally and emotionally. Its done things for me that I could have never imagined before when I was heavy. and It allowed me to get back on my waterski after 7 years of being far too heavy.

This is my take on it. Right or wrong, its what I believe. I am living proof people can beat their demons. I lived with mine for 29 years. It took me one year to beat it. It can be done, it CAN be done! :twocents:

JEREMY79
03-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Dam Ump, what a story.

Happy for ya!

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 07:11 PM
That is an incredible story, worthy of a book or something!! Nice UMP :banana:

ski_king
03-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Way to go UMP!

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:14 PM
I was thinking the same when I finally read it! UMP is our Jarred! UMP you should have sold that story! You would have that 197 you always wanted! So am I a D*** or what? Sorry UMP!

ilikeitglacy
03-24-2006, 07:24 PM
great story UMP. i quit smokin a mounth ago...my daughter helped me when she told me she would not kiss an ??????? :mad: ...isn't that inspiring.. :D

hleepert
03-24-2006, 07:25 PM
UMP you are right on the money! It is a lifestly change. It's amazing what you have accomplished and you are an inpspiration. I have struggled long with my weight. I realized when I was breathing hard just walking with the kids upstairs to put them in bed. Every winter I would put on the weight and work like made early spring to get in shape. My Chloresteral hit 277 and this year I kept the weight gain to only about 5 punds and I just made it under 200# for the first time in 15 years. It's a difficult choice to make because food is a passionate thing. What helps to keep my eating habits in order is remembering how much easier it is to ski without the extra weight. Skiing/Wakeboarding/ watersports is such a passion for most on this board and I find inspiration almost every time I read through the posts. It really helps keep me focused. My family is the most important thing to me and Skiing helps keep me in shape so I can be here for them when they need me.

QUOTE=Upper Michigan Prostar190]I know its not a chemical addiction or dependancy, but I dealt with the demon of weight loss. Now I believe that its a matter of choice, as was stated before, you need to WANT to quit. You have to make that choice for the rest of your life. I did this very thing. Some of you here know I used to be 311 lbs. I led a very unhealthy lifestyle. No activity, ate large amounts of bad foods. I hated myself. I was FAT. I had no one to blame but ME. it wasnt my parents fault, it wasnt my teachers fault, or whatever. I had to decide to make that change. Everyone asks HOW I did it. and I just dont know what to tell them... I played guitar in a concert and it was video taped. My parents and I watched the tape after. I was a land whale. I looked like 311 lbs of **** on that stage. I sat and watched that tape over and over.... I sat and thought. about 4 months after that, I woke up one day.....and I was lying there in bed, sore back from nothing but being too big. It hurt my back to even sleep I was so big. I said, thats it. Thats enough. I starred at my ceiling of my bedroom for about an hour that day. I knew I had to change my life or I was gonna die very young and be miserable until I did. I started that day. it will be my 4 year anniversary of that on March 26. I changed my life forever that day. March 26th, 2002. I never looked back. It took me a little over 1 year to lose 125 lbs. I busted my a$$ to do it. excercised 6 days a week. dieted. I endured, I persevered and I won. my goal was to get under 200 lbs. as long as I live, I will NEVER forget the day I got on that scale and it said 197. It was the one of the greatest days of my life. I believe its all mental. its in your head, you need to reprogram yourself. Its all in what you WANT more. do you want that cigarette, or bag of potato chips more than you want to be healthy and live longer. Its all about choice. I can say this. I have never understood the power of confidence and health that I would achieve by losing that weight. I am stronger physically, mentally and emotionally. Its done things for me that I could have never imagined before when I was heavy. and It allowed me to get back on my waterski after 7 years of being far too heavy.

This is my take on it. Right or wrong, its what I believe. I am living proof people can beat their demons. I lived with mine for 29 years. It took me one year to beat it. It can be done, it CAN be done! :twocents:[/QUOTE]

milkmania
03-24-2006, 07:31 PM
yes, it is a lifestyle change.
people can beg & plead with you to quit, and you're not going to quit until you are ready.

last month I drove myself to the hospital with chest pains. (muscle spasm feeling)
test results came back clear, the Dr. attributed it to the massive amounts of Code Red Mountain Dew & coffee I was consuming.

I dropped the Code Red cold turkey!
and I'm down to 16 ounces of coffee per day.

The muscle spasms in my chest have stopped

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Very cool topic and may even encompass an entirely new thread! How many here are more active in the water arts due to a complete lifestyle change? Other than Glassy's HASHTRAY comment which I hope was a typo we have relatively minor problems. Nothing a very small change in our day to day lives can't cure. I have the cure in summer but winter is a beast! Great stories and obviously more talkers have more in common!

03-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks everyone! :) I should get some before and after pictures posted. I will see if I have any before ones on here. I may have to get some from my parents. I appreciate the compliments. :toast: I like to inspire anyone I can to do the same. SOmetimes it helps to hear a real life success story from someone you know.

JEREMY79
03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
HASHTRAY

Dont keep the ashes, that is evidence :D

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:41 PM
UMP great story but this is one thread I don't remember anyone asking for pics! 8p Love you bro! :D

03-24-2006, 07:43 PM
HB, are you saying you DONT wanna see a picture of my fat ***??? :mad: What kind of friend are you? ;)

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:44 PM
The kind that knows when to say when my brotha! I am not much into the skinny version either! :D

03-24-2006, 07:45 PM
quit pickin on the fat kid! :mad:

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Sounds like we can't anymore! Hey look at the pipe cleaner! Do you have to run around in the shower to get wet!

03-24-2006, 07:57 PM
I am gonna find some before/after pics and post them just for you HB

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 08:04 PM
If you must I will have to defer to the lovely Lisa for her input as I am not an expert in the field! NOT THAT IT IS A BAD THING!

03-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Good, I value her opinion way more anyway!

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 08:10 PM
UMP, I kinda knew about your weight-loss from previous posts but didn't know the extent of it. That is awesome that you were able to lose the weight and keep it off.

03-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks Beau! :)