PDA

View Full Version : Color Laser Help....

vegashomeexpert
03-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Anybody from this vast knowledge base have any personal experience/recomendations for a color laser printer? Best bang for the buck? :confused:

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 02:14 PM
What are you planning to use it for?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Had the HP 4550 and had too many problems.

Went back to ink for now(HP Inkjet 2300n), but if I am going to jump back to laser, I will probably go with the Ricoh CL2000 or similar, should be around $800 or so I think.

PendO
03-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I have the 2550L at home ... no problems, but I get pissed when I have to buy new toner:( You can get a refurbished on from HP for 299 2550L (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?landing=outlet_store&category=refurb_printers&catLevel=3&storeName=storefronts&subcat1=laserjets&product_code=Q3702AR%23ABA)

I think it was replaced with the 2600N (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=printers&category=laserjets&orderflow=1&a1=Color+printing&v1=Color&product_code=Q6455A%23ABA&catLevel=2) (which is nice b/c it is already to be plugged in to your router w/o s separate print server) and new is only 399

vegashomeexpert
03-25-2006, 11:37 AM
What are you planning to use it for?
Direct mail (postcards) and flyers, mainly. My big concerns are paper handling capabilities, output quality, and cost of toner.

east tx skier
03-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Gotcha. Just making sure it wasn't pictures.

/got nuthin'

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Direct mail (postcards) and flyers, mainly. My big concerns are paper handling capabilities, output quality, and cost of toner.
What do you NOT like about inkjobs....

Utahfoiler
03-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Go with Okidata, cheaper and better quality.

bigmac
03-26-2006, 03:50 AM
Had the HP 4550 and had too many problems.

Went back to ink for now(HP Inkjet 2300n), but if I am going to jump back to laser, I will probably go with the Ricoh CL2000 or similar, should be around $800 or so I think.

I've had the 4550N here at home for about 3 years/ >10,000 pages without a single problem. The only thing I don't like about it is the long warmup time from when it goes into power save mode to print. Great longevity from the drum and toner cartridges. We have a few of the newer HP Laserjets at work and that startup problem is pretty much solved. Those things REALLY get a workout and have also performed very well in a pretty high volume environment.

vegashomeexpert
03-27-2006, 11:03 AM
What do you NOT like about inkjobs....
I have always used ink and love the quality. Just thinking of stepping up the quantity and the propaganda says the cost per page is cheaper for high ouput with laser.

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Slight threadjack, but for photos, has anyone gone with a dye sublimation printer? Is that what they are using for photoprocessing for digital pics at Walgreens and the like?

Okay, so maybe that's more than a slight threadjack. Disregard if you dare. ;)

bigmac
03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
I have always used ink and love the quality. Just thinking of stepping up the quantity and the propaganda says the cost per page is cheaper for high ouput with laser.

The newer laser printers have pretty good specs for resolution, but I suspect that you still would get better photo printing from an inkjet than a laser printer. If we're only talking about text and graphics, then yes, a laser printer will do the same quality job, and do it faster and cheaper, and with far less hassle.

I make prints of a lot of photos, and from my standpoint the pain of clogged jets, worn heads, and expensive, multiple short-lived ink cartridges was just too much. I found that I can upload my photographs to Kodak Gallery (http://www.kodakgallery.com/) and get them printed with less hassle, better quality, and cheaper than I could with my own inkjet printer.

bigmac
03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Slight threadjack, but for photos, has anyone gone with a dye sublimation printer? Is that what they are using for photoprocessing for digital pics at Walgreens and the like?

Okay, so maybe that's more than a slight threadjack. Disregard if you dare. ;)

I have a buddy who's a professional photographer. His studio uses a desktop in-house dye sublimation printer for printing out proof booklets and the quality is quite good. But for final prints, he uploads them to a photo lab (White House Custom Color) which, like most of the labs where quality counts, uses more conventional CP49E chemistry such as from a Fuji Frontier printing system. It's better quality and allows use of better paper than you can get with dye-sub. Again, the cost for printing consumer-level volumes from such a lab is less than it would cost to own and maintain a dye-sublimation printer.

I don't know what the kiosk-type discount-store retailers use for such printing, but we have a local 1 hour photo place with kiosk around here and they use a Fuji Frontier system. I don't use them because their prices are about 20% higher than Kodak Gallery.

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks. At walgreens, a 4x6 costs $.29. I think if you order more than 40, it goes down to $.20 or so. Upload online and they're ready in 40 minutes to an hour. Quality appears as good as any 35 mm I ever had done there.

bigmac
03-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks. At walgreens, a 4x6 costs $.29. I think if you order more than 40, it goes down to $.20 or so. Upload online and they're ready in 40 minutes to an hour. Quality appears as good as any 35 mm I ever had done there.

I agree, the quality from most of those places is good.

From my perspective, I use Kodak for cost and convenience. It's cheaper (15 cents per 4x6), and their turnaround is faster for me - my prints show up in my mailbox faster than I can arrange a trip to my nearest WalMart/Walgreens etc, which are all 15 miles away. Another nice feature with Kodak Gallery is that your prints are all stored on their server, and if you elect to share those galleries, friends and family that you allow can log on and buy their own prints, framed prints, mugs, calendars, T shirts - all that other stuff.

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Ooooh, that' is cheaper. Is shipping free?

If walgreens would just combine the prescription drive through and the internet photo prints, they'd really be onto something.

bigmac
03-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Ooooh, that' is cheaper. Is shipping free?

If walgreens would just combine the prescription drive through and the internet photo prints, they'd really be onto something.

No, no free shipping. FedEx is available, but I usually elect US Mail, which gets them here in about 2-3 days.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 08:40 PM
What I like about the 2300n is it has replacment ink as all do, black, cyan, magenta, and yellow color cartriges. BUT it also has replaceable Printheads as well. It gets a work out, and so far has long outlasted the 4550. The 4550 was ok if you didn't mind the long wait time for it to run its cycle before it actually spits the first sheet out. I hated that. The the "boards" started "going" and the 4th or 5th repair was proposed at $1200.00 I drew the line. It went right in the trash along with the $500.00 worth of toners. Needless to say, it was a bad experience.
The black laser we have now is a IBM 1422, it works pretty good and is fast, but IBM had to issue an accessory support bracket for the front door because the hinges were so cheesy it fell off a few times with a load of paper (what else would I put there:rolleyes: ) . With the steel brackets, all is well now. But again, its black only.