PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Conditioning, Whats your routine?

Maristar210
03-24-2006, 01:22 PM
I have been working pretty hard at getting in shape so that I can "hold on" longer when summer comes. I really noticed my leg strength was not up to par last year and I am trying to fix that. Don't get me wrong I still like beer and pizza. I have been trying to a few miles three mornings a week and Thursday I actually ran a loop without stopping. I also have been doing core type excercises like pullups and dips along with squats.

Whats everyone else been doing especially us notherners?

Steve :wavey:

hleepert
03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
I've been running four days a week, 4- 6 miles per run, walking one day a week and I brought a ski handle to work, attached it to my office door and am pulling about 20 reps on side and 20 off side three or four times during the day. I now have a heel spur that's keeping me from running so am doing leg exercises instead. Hoping the spur is gone soon!

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
I run 2.5 miles per day 3--4 times per week. I do strength training on a bowflex 3--4 times per week. That is year round.

I read about lots of people doing rowing in the off season to prepare for skiing during the on season. I think BrianM just got a rowing machine.

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 01:34 PM
You guys are making me tires just reading this stuff!

I only run if I'm being chased!

I may do some walking around the sub division, but that's about it...
I really need to hit the weights, but I can't seem to get motivated.

jbfootin
03-24-2006, 01:39 PM
I need ot get into a routine again, but with travel, family and work I haven't. The best that I found was biking.

For a few summers I was biking up to 40 Miles at a time and my endurance skiing, mostly footin, showed much improvement! :twocents:

Mag_Red
03-24-2006, 01:40 PM
I work out twice a week with a personal trainer. BFI is at 20% right now. Since last week, added 2 lbs.............I'm hoping that was muscle :D

jraben8
03-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Mountain bike 13-17 miles at least once a week with a 8 mile loop in there somewhere and in the gym at least 3 days working upper body.

starman205
03-24-2006, 01:47 PM
I use a bow flex 3 times a week and ride my bike 3 times a week. My bike is mounted on a cyleops fluid 2 trainer stand that increases the resistance as I work up the gear ratio's. Personally I tried to increase skiing endurance by running but never saw results. I have had better results using the bike (both cardivascular and leg strength). :wavey:

3event
03-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Bowflex for me, every 2nd-3rd day as business travel allows. On days between Bowflex, occasionally treadmill, elliptical/stepper depending if at home on on the road.

Not doing enough leg work, as usual, in the bowflex routine. Gotta get more of that in. If anyone has suggestions on best leg exercises I would be interested. I can do squats, extensions, and press on this machine...hip flexor deal too.

Won't know how well this all worked until season opener. But our lake is still full of ICE, it's gonna be cold water when we get in it....

tex
03-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Sunday-Grill and Martinis
Monday-Wine
Tuesday-Wine
Wednesday-Wine
Thursday-Wine/Martini
Friday-Wine/Martini
Saturday/Beer/Wine/Martini

Jump sets whenever possible.
Why does my jumpsuit shrink every winter?

captain planet
03-24-2006, 02:12 PM
I have always worked out on a normal basis, when I'm not traveling, and run 1.5 miles 2-3 days a week (again when not traveling). This year I have been working on getting my feet tough. I have been working with a 1" wooden dowel rod and rolling it with my feet when standing on it. I have started to walk around outside on rough asphalt (when there isn't any freaking snow on the ground :noface: ). We'll see how well this works.

I will probably start on my legs soon, but it seems that mo matter what you do to your legs, slalom gets those muscles (or parts of them) you just can't get in a gym.

bucky
03-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Let's see,

8 minute abs every day
1 hour with weights 4 days/wk
186 vertical feet of stairs on workdays (14 days out of 28)
2 mile run the 3 days of the week I'm not lifting
going to try to start biking
No supplements beyond a daily vitamin.
The excercise is easy, I just can't get the diet part right. Rotating shift is hell on your schedule.

richardsoncd
03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
running a few times a week,
polates (SPP??) for abs,
weight training a couple times a week...but I am fighting genetics to be a big guy so I should probably be doing a lot more.

jmyers
03-24-2006, 03:41 PM
I am getting ready mentally for now! One more trip to China and I will be ready for spring! Every time I leave the last thing I see is the boat when I close the damn garage! :mad: I guess all the running around is exercise like it or not! :D

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Once a week I carry 500-600 beer cans to the curb! Actually I am out of breath upon my return. I stop and lean on the mail box to catch my breath! ;)

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Once a week I carry 500-600 beer cans to the curb! Actually I am out of breath upon my return. I stop and lean on the mail box to catch my breath! ;)

LOL!!! Sounds like a true hoosier!!

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm heading home momentarily to do some 16 oz curls.

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Doing some 32 oz curls myself........Gatorade that is :D

jimmer2880
03-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Sunday-Grill and Martinis
Monday-Wine
Tuesday-Wine
Wednesday-Wine
Thursday-Wine/Martini
Friday-Wine/Martini
Saturday/Beer/Wine/Martini

Jump sets whenever possible.
Why does my jumpsuit shrink every winter?

That is more along the lines that I do to stay "in shape". Can't let that alchohol tolerance get too low.