PDA

View Full Version : Should officials be able to search lockers?

M-Funf
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Saw on the news that people are resisting the search of lockers at junior high and high schools...they say it's an invasion of privacy...

What say ye? Should school officials or law enforcement be able to search lockers at random, any time they want, or not?

Mag_Red
03-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Sure they should..........the kids don't own the lockers....my tax dollars paid for them. Besides........there shouldn't be anything illegal in them any way. 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
03-23-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd say yes....

But it's a good thing they never checked mine in my day...:o

richardsoncd
03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Locker's are school property, and if it saves a kids life from some poor loser that was given a wedgy and turned around and shoots up the cafeteria I say go for it.

Where did all the Ogar's in the world go?

Leroy
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Our HS has unannounced shut downs where sniffer dogs go by lockers, through the rooms, etc. I think that is a pretty good deterrent.

Ron Grover
03-23-2006, 06:12 PM
I was vice president of our local school board in the '90's. We not only give notice to students that lockers were subject to search at any time, we DID IT. In addition we reguallry brought in drug dogs to sniff lockers.

After I got off the board they actually begin walking the dogs through the student parking lot and if they got a hit the sheriff was called and the student was asked permission to search.

PendO
03-23-2006, 06:40 PM
constitutionally there is a lower expectation of privacy to your school locker than there is to someone's house or home ... you can only have an "invasion" of privacy where someone has a heightened expectation of privacy ... search them whenever and as often as they like, but the same goes for the lockers that belong to those pot smokin' teachers:)

Saw on the news that people are resisting the search of lockers at junior high and high schools...they say it's an invasion of privacy...

What say ye? Should school officials or law enforcement be able to search lockers at random, any time they want, or not?

SKI*MC
03-23-2006, 06:42 PM
We had a random drug search in our school about a month or so ago, they brought in drug sniffing dogs and everything. We had to sit in our classes for 2 hours!

Granite_33
03-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Any time. Public Property.

Had mine searched a few times in HS. Nothing found, no crime, no foul.

maristarman
03-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Where did all the Ogar's in the world go?

All the Ogar's are now pumped full of Ridlin starting in the second grade, after they exhibit the slightest tendency of being a "normal" boy.

Public school.

Emphasis on "Public".

No right to privacy in my book. Search away.

twieder
03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
I think they should have a reason to search, not just because!
Yes, a school locker is 'public' property, but just try and search your own kids locker and see what they tell you.

If the school wants to bring in a drug dog, fine, but just to pick a locker at random.... well I think thats wrong.I would even agree if another student reported something 'illegal'in a locker, but have a reason!

erkoehler
03-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Search them anytime, anyday...... :D

88 PS190
03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
A drug dog is definately a way of limiting down what sort of search you are allowing. Drug dog goes nuts, then that's atleast some reason to enter the locker.

But allowing random searches allows you to open a locker and then see if there is anything suspicious. Which i find to be wrong, it is school property, but there can be a reasonable expectation that personal legal items be kept safe and private, atleast at certain levels.

Gunpowder residue sniffer pick something up, ok enter it. But just going around and opening stuff, i'm not down for that.

And no they would not have found anything in my locker in highschool. But there is sensible then there is paranoid.

atlfootr
03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Sure they should..........the kids don't own the lockers....my tax dollars paid for them. Besides........there shouldn't be anything illegal in them any way. 8pWhat he said ... :toast:

atlfootr
03-23-2006, 09:02 PM
A drug dog is definately a way of limiting down what sort of search you are allowing.
Drug dog goes nuts, then that's atleast some reason to enter the locker.
Gunpowder residue sniffer pick something up, ok enter it.

But just going around and opening stuff, i'm not down for that.So, tell us what it is your hidding. :popcorn:

agua4fun
03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Back in HS, they used to randomly have drug dogs that would walk up and down the halls, and sniff lockers for drugs. we would have to sit in our locked class and wait.
I wasnt into drugs, but a few of my buddies were. they always laughed because they kept everything in their pockets, (in the locked class) where the dogs couldnt go. worked so many times!

milkmania
03-23-2006, 09:33 PM

I read the poll and voted (yes, with reason) before reading your message, and after learning you were speaking of schools, then I say, yes anytime any reason!

I initially thought the poll was refering to lockers at the train station & airports8p

atlfootr
03-23-2006, 09:43 PM
bumprs ....

atlfootr
03-23-2006, 09:46 PM
I read the poll and voted (yes, with reason) before reading your message, and after learning you were speaking of schools, then I say, yes anytime any reason!

I initially thought the poll was refering to lockers at the train station & airports8pIt pays to be educated ... by "Hook'd On Phonics", way to go Milkster ... :noface:

flipper
03-23-2006, 09:47 PM
I say yes, not so much for drugs, because they are going to be around any way, but more for the weapons. To many fights are leading to deaths of kids that shouldn't have to die.

milkmania
03-23-2006, 09:49 PM
It pays to be educated ... by "Hook'd On Phonics", way to go Milkster ... :noface:

what can I say, I ate my books:(

rough childhood

twieder
03-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Ok, it seems yhe general concensus is 'any time any where' as far as locker searches.

What about the teachers desks and their personal property? The desks are school property too!
If you're gona search the kids, search the teachers too!

I'll put money on the first time a teachers desk is randomley searched, there will be a lawsuit! If not filed bu the teacher, then by the union. Double standard? Wouldn't be America with out it!

maristarman
03-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok, it seems yhe general concensus is 'any time any where' as far as locker searches.

What about the teachers desks and their personal property? The desks are school property too!
If you're gona search the kids, search the teachers too!

I'll put money on the first time a teachers desk is randomley searched, there will be a lawsuit! If not filed bu the teacher, then by the union. Double standard? Wouldn't be America with out it!

There's already been a lawsuit......

Government employees do enjoy some protection from searches under the Fourth Amendment. In O'Connor v. Ortega, the Supreme Court extended Fourth Amendment privacy protection to public workplace. In that case, the Supreme Court recognized a reasonable expectation of privacy in the governmental workplace. However, that expectation of privacy can be affected by office policies and practices. The plaintiff employee in O'Connor was found to have had a legitimate expectation of privacy in his desk and file cabinets. But, the rights conferred under O'Connor are narrow.

The government still has the right to perform searches that serve interests in promoting efficient operation of the workplace.

Government employers can also weaken expectations of privacy by informing employees that they do not have an expectation of privacy, or that their desks, computers, and lockers may be searched.

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Sure they should..........the kids don't own the lockers....my tax dollars paid for them. Besides........there shouldn't be anything illegal in them any way. 8p

TRU DAT :headbang: