PDA

View Full Version : Honda fans.. If you survived.....

Pages : [1] 2

Workin' 4 Toys
03-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda recall, might wanna ease on the gas with this one (http://autonet.ca/Maintenance/Recalls/story.cfm?story=/Maintenance/Recalls/2005/11/10/1301012.html)

This one was sent to me... I am not sure why. But I figured it might come in useful here since I have seen on the board one or two folks that prefer hondas. Hope they catch them all, I'd hate to see where these end up in a few years as used cars.

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Being a Honda fanatic I say it is very cool that a dealer discovered the fault and took needed action before a problem did arrise. I don't remember a recall ever coming from dealership input. Usually multiple accidents then someone gets paid off, Then further coverup, then someone dies and all is fixed. Did anyone notice the number recalled? Look at the other manufacturers and 25,000 will look very minimal. :D

milkmania
03-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Honda recall, might wanna ease on the gas with this one (http://autonet.ca/Maintenance/Recalls/story.cfm?story=/Maintenance/Recalls/2005/11/10/1301012.html)

This one was sent to me... I am not sure why. But I figured it might come in useful here since I have seen on the board one or two folks that prefer hondas. Hope they catch them all, I'd hate to see where these end up in a few years as used cars.

I thught you were going to say the little wind up spring broke:(

flipper
03-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Don't have the power to crash all that hard! :purplaugh

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Milky, my Hondas are faster than you think! All except the scooter! :D

milkmania
03-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Don't have the power to crash all that hard! :purplaugh

you know if you back them up even further, the little spring gets really tight and it goes a little faster....

you just back them up till you hear that clicking noise, let go, and watch out!:eek:

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/poke2.gif

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Difference is they never stop *&^%^$#$#@%! ;) I am sure what you are pushing just goes click, click puff! :D Wait until WFT signs on Milky and I will debate both you girls! 8p

flipper
03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Milky, my Hondas are faster than you think! All except the scooter! :D

I love it. Now my wife wants to know "What's so funny" Do the ones with huge exhaust tip have a bigger spring?

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 09:01 PM
I'll go get some beer and you girls get ready! ;) So what you are saying Flip is she did notice! ;)

milkmania
03-23-2006, 09:05 PM
I love it. Now my wife wants to know "What's so funny" Do the ones with huge exhaust tip have a bigger spring?

what about that shopping cart handle they put on the trunks?

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I do not own a Tuner/Civic. That being said you would rather own a Neon, Focus or Cavalier than a Civic? How about a Taurus, Malibu or Stratus than an Accord? Nothing wrong with that but I have an Accord, Valkyrie and many more of the dirt variety. The Accord and Valkyrie are made in OHIO! The Valkyrie and Goldwing are available in one country only, AMERICA. The Valkyrie has more US content than the HD. Wait until Toyota owns your arses then give me a call. How's your stock doing GM? GMAC their only source of profit is for sale? Honda and Toyota sales faltering! Not! Market share increases every year! We and you my brother better figure it out. Ignorant buyers are no longer abound! HA HA HA HA! :D Don't it just make your blood boil! :mad: Way to go WFT! :headbang:

flipper
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
I'll go get some beer and you girls get ready! ;) So what you are saying Flip is she did notice! ;)
Once she read it she laughed. She had a civic when we first go together.

The shopping cart handles are for down force of a front wheel drive car.

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 09:21 PM
No offense to a particular state right below Indiana but I have always called those K******Y Go Fasts! I know, I know Indiana is worser!
I figured UMP would have chimed in by now being as he is from the Automobile capitol of the Norhtern, Midwestern right above Indiana part of the world! No offense and so far being in the automotive field it does appear the American Auto Industry has begun to roll up it's sleeves. We can't expect people to buy American just because it is American. If anything we have to be better. :twocents:

flipper
03-23-2006, 09:37 PM
I do not own a Tuner/Civic. That being said you would rather own a Neon, Focus or Cavalier than a Civic? How about a Taurus, Malibu or Stratus than an Accord? Nothing wrong with that but I have an Accord, Valkyrie and many more of the dirt variety. The Accord and Valkyrie are made in OHIO! The Valkyrie and Goldwing are available in one country only, AMERICA. The Valkyrie has more US content than the HD. Wait until Toyota owns your arses then give me a call. How's your stock doing GM? GMAC their only source of profit is for sale? Honda and Toyota sales faltering! Not! Market share increases every year! We and you my brother better figure it out. Ignorant buyers are no longer abound! HA HA HA HA! :D Don't it just make your blood boil! :mad: Way to go WFT! :headbang:

For a small car, or any new car, other than something to have fun with, I would have to go with a mazda 6. As for bikes either Suzuki or Honda. I have a GXR 750. Not a big fan of any cars really other than muscle cars.

Just noticed I quoted the wrong guy earlier, met to quote milk about the shopping cart handles, not hoosier.

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Oh yeah the GIXXER! Mazda 6 is very cool! I am not saying I would rather buy Honda or Mazda or anything else. What I am saying is that I expect more from anything that wears the badge USA. I feel I have not been attracted to the product for quite some time with the exception of big ole diesel Fords! Watch for the new American made autos in the near future. There future will depend on them. So far I have seen some very nice models. I also like Muscle cars and would love to have an 08' Camaro or Cuda in my garage. We still build obnoxious and sex better than any one! You/we will have to earn my business not expect my business.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I am not gonna get into the car wars. Really, I am not. I have nothing against Toyota, Honda, etc.... I think they make fine automobiles and the US automakers could learn from them. Just because I work at a GM dealer dont mean I wear chevrolet underwear. Trust me, I see lots of retarded things GM does....LOTS! I am not gonna get into it all here.

I am gonna agree with whatever HB says anyway so preach on brutha hoosier!! :toast: If he told me to jump off a bridge I would say, "which one"???

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Didn't you post some pics of a really cool bridge?

03-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Yea, wanna see them again?

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 10:16 PM
But of course!

03-23-2006, 10:23 PM
OK, I posted them over on UMPs nonsense thread so we dont threadjack this anymore :)

Leroy
03-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Maybe I'm biased, sounds like a positive story, things go wrong, they admitted it, they found problem, solution, only 25k vehicles, fixing all of them for free. I can't think of anything more I would ask for from them. Sounds better than Jr's story.

Hoosier Bob
03-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Nice one Leroy! You do understand that you will now be joining me in the DEEP SOUTH! WFT has started some fun and once again he is not here. I am sure once third shift is over he will sign on and while we are all sleeping he will leave presents for all! ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Maybe I'm biased, sounds like a positive story, things go wrong, they admitted it, they found problem, solution, only 25k vehicles, fixing all of them for free. I can't think of anything more I would ask for from them. Sounds better than Jr's story.
Only a true diehard import fan would look at this story in that perpective. I guess those mechanics need work too. Thanks for keeping them busy.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Nice one Leroy! You do understand that you will now be joining me in the DEEP SOUTH! WFT has started some fun and once again he is not here. I am sure once third shift is over he will sign on and while we are all sleeping he will leave presents for all! ;)
I do not work 3rd shift.
I did just now walk in the door from a great evening among friends at the local Hooters. And I did not even think about what any of them drive, not even once.

You can have all you want, they will make more. Just for you. They build them one junk at a time, almost non-stop, just for people like you. I certainly will not participate in your malicious rambling to promote such vehicles. I do however intend to support such grand efforts to protect our way of life. If I saved just one life (or potentially many more) by having someone read this message and have there POS honda repaired because of it, things are good, and I have completed my mission, Thanks for keeping this thread towards the top.

jraben8
03-24-2006, 06:51 AM
what about that shopping cart handle they put on the trunks?

I always thought it was so that you could lift the rear end up to slide it over if it was in your way... Just pick it up and take it with you.

oldschool84
03-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Once she read it she laughed. She had a civic when we first go together.

The shopping cart handles are for down force of a front wheel drive car.
AND the BIG EXHAUST PIPE MAKES IT GO FASTER TOO :rolleyes: LIKE THEY NEED DOWN FORCE. PINKS HAS A GREAT NEW SHOW WITH A HONDA Getting smoked by a FIREBIRD. I could watch that over and over, the HONDA had NO CHANCE. I come from a family that has deep roots with GM so its BAD BOW TIE all the way for me. PLUS the new Honda Ridgeline is one of the UGLIEST CARS ON THE ROAD
.02 :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 08:24 AM
I am not gonna get into the car wars.
Then back away.... But don't put out the white flag before the fun even begins.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 08:35 AM
I do not own a Tuner/Civic. That being said you would rather own a Neon, Focus or Cavalier than a Civic?
Focus or cavalier, for sure.
How about a Taurus, Malibu or Stratus than an Accord? Malibu without a doubt
Nothing wrong with that but I have an Accord, Valkyrie and many more of the dirt variety. The Accord and Valkyrie are made in OHIO! The Valkyrie and Goldwing are available in one country only, AMERICA.Yes, and nice bikes I might add. Well the Valkyrie anyway.
The Valkyrie has more US content than the HD. Wait until Toyota owns your arses then give me a call. How's your stock doing GM?
Not bad.

Don't it just make your blood boil! :mad:
Nah

oldschool84
03-24-2006, 08:38 AM
I LIKE YOUR THINKING WFT :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 08:59 AM
I LIKE YOUR THINKING WFT :toast:
If it were left up to the bobs and leroys of the world, We will eventually all be working overseas Riding dirt bikes and mopeds working for a few dollars a day.

03-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Then back away.... But don't put out the white flag before the fun even begins.

I just dont like to get into car arguments. I used to engange in them. Being in the car biz, people try to get me to argue/discuss all the time. See, I wont take either side because I see valid points on BOTH sides of the arguement. I agree we need to retain our american jobs, he11 my job is directly affected by the domestic auto market, its how I make MY living too. If we dont sell cars, I dont make money, meaning I dont eat or have gas to go skiing. Our american workers are losing jobs everywhere because of cutbacks. So I know very well how important it is to retain our jobs and how it affects our economy as a whole. I see it everyday. We are losing our foothold ecnomically as an industry and we need to get it back! AND, I also the other side of the coin. I see how poorly these vehicles are produced. I see the wasteful spending of money that GM( I also worked at a Ford dealer for 5 years) has a problem with. I get to see it because of my job. Uneccesary spending, excessive spending, poor decisions, poor quality of components, poor workmanship. Its for real. I submit all the warranty claims for our dealership so I see all the things that go wrong with these vehicles. Wanna know how many stupid repeat problems I see? Things that just should not happen, and things they just dont fix or correct? I could go on and on and on with this on both sides. I agree we need to preserve our jobs so we can all prosper and have a good quality of life, support our family,raise our children, have health care, and a retirement income for our latter years. But I also agree we need to produce better cars in a more economical way, or we will be in trouble. There are things that could be done to improve this situtation, but they dont seem to be doing them. I wish I could offer better solutions, but I cant. There will always be a Domestic VS. Import debate, thats just human nature. as long as two different companies are producing product "A" and product "B" there will be a debate of which of the two is better. But I am not going to argue either side of it because I cant. I see both sides of it. I am stuck in the middle. :twocents: Take it for what its worth, its just my opinion, its no better than anyone elses. You can agree, disagree, its all good. (now if you get me on skiboats or guitars and amps I will eagerly take a side of which is the best and debate till the cows come home!)

See, Its not wonder I will be a good politician. I didnt commit to anything on my first issue! I didnt take either side ,I am like a duck on water with this stuff! ;) :uglyhamme

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Anybody with the exploding expeditions get a call yet that they have the replacement part for your cruise control? Mine's been disconnected since November!!!

On the other hand, my honda with 116,000 miles on it is still running like a top. This won't be my last accord for sure.

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, I'll answer my own question. I just called my Ford dealer. Despite the fact that I left my contact info with both the dealer and Ford proper, nobody bothered to call me and let me know that the parts came in in February.

So anyone else that's wondering about this, you might need to call your Ford dealer.

03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I never disconnected my cruise on my truck eastie. I thought, hey its been ok for 9 years, its not gonna blow up now, and if it does, let er go! I wouldnt bring it in for the disconnect, I waited until parts were available, then brought it in, but it turned out mine was one of the ones that didnt need it. That thing really ticked me off. I thought they should have issued a recal for tie rod ends on the expeditions. I talked to our local Fomoco dealer and they said it was an issue they have seen repeatedly on expeditions going out on the highway on people, and they went on my truck, but no recall..... :noface: hows that for a safety issue?

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 11:08 AM
When I first heard about it, I called and they said no recall. Then later, they finally do. I guess they were crunching the numbers to see what it would cost to replace versus what it'd cost them if one blew up and hurt someone. It's not like mine was any more or less dangerous.

The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth. The not letting me know the part had come in for a month is just the latest. Overall, the truck runs fine. Apart from regular maintenance, the only thing major that's happened is an a/c manifold leak. $$$.

It's got 84K miles on it. Then there's the honda with 115K miles and a year older. Just new tires and a tune up under my watch. Had the timing belt thrown in when I bought it.

milkmania
03-24-2006, 11:11 AM
If it were left up to the bobs and leroys of the world, We will eventually all be working overseas Riding dirt bikes and mopeds working for a few dollars a day.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/Thread-Rocks.jpg

Maristar210
03-24-2006, 11:12 AM
UMP,

There are now three classes of vehicles
Domestics
Imports
NEW Domestics

New domestics report a higher level of domestic parts containment than traditional domestics. Confused? me too...

Now what?

Steve

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 11:31 AM
UMP,

Domestics
Imports
NEW Domestics

New domestics report a higher level of domestic parts containment than traditional domestics. Confused? me too...

Now what?

Steve

I am as confused as you Steve!

It use to be that Ford, GM and Dodge were the domestics and pretty much everyone else were the imports. I don't thing this is true today.

If Ford, GM, and Chrysler are not going to get their chit together and produce reliable vehicles with reliable service when needed, they will become a thing of the past.

Most car buyers do not buy a vehicle because it says Ford, GMC, or Chrysler on the front.

I also don't see how saying "I will only buy Ford or GMC because they are American" holds any weight in todays World.

If I am way off, please correct me.
Somewhere on here there is a breakdown of the percentage of where certain car manufacturers build their vehicles and buy their parts.

I am all for buying "Made in America' products, but a lot of things that are "Made in America" and have heavy overseas ties.

03-24-2006, 11:42 AM
UMP,

Domestics
Imports
NEW Domestics

Now what?

Steve

Mari, This is confusing I know. its hard to figure out anymore with components from outside the US, but assembled in the US, and vice versa, and backwards forwards side to side, etc.... ITs just too complicated. I do have to agree with Eastie the that particular recall was NOT handled well. and it does make you think that they really may have been crunching numbers to weigh out waht they were gonna do, with no true regard for human saftey. Thats how I took it too. If they think that there is a chance that even ONE single person could be injured or die from a mfg defect, they **** well better do something and be quick about it. at that point, it has NOTHING to do with cost or the bean counting dept. Its about safety, and safety has NO price!!!

BTW, eastie, I was wrong, I did have the recall part put on mine, I remembered incorrectly. sorry.....

03-24-2006, 11:46 AM
:mad: I just realized, you guys are draggin me into this arguement now!! Once the safety thing hit me, I really started thinkin and gettin angry about the way us auto makers handle recalls.....I gotta be careful....I might go back to the darkside and start arguing again..... :eek: You guys are drawing me in......must....resist....teh ...urge......to.....argue.....

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I think the great thing about America is our system allows us to chose the best product available. Imagine the quality of our products if everyone purchased solely according to loyalty and not competition. George Orwell thought of a similar system. I applaud you loyalty and will say this: All things being egual my loyalty will be American products but I will not compromise quality. Malibu, Cavalier are you sreious? No offense but have you seen the resale? Can anyone say a Malibu/Cavalier comes even remotely close to a Honda regarding resale? Your brothers are stealing from you and me! Because of them I cannot reap the reward of $2 an hour labor. Because of them I am paying $25000 for an Accord that could be sold for around $18000! They are stealing from us all! I wish I could tell someone my cost of funds is too high and the gods would pass it on to my competition! WFT Good points and I still love you man! When are we riding some rice burners? :D If it were left up to the bobs and leroys of the world, We will eventually all be working overseas Riding dirt bikes and mopeds working for a few dollars a day.

03-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Your not riding any rice burners anytime soon with this campaign in full swing HB, get over to the campaign thread. :mad:

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Ump don't mistake passion for a belief as an argument. We all believe what we say and are not affraid to say what we believe. The great thing is we will all be skiing together soon behind our American made ships! Of course I will drop the rope right after WFT gets in the water and motor off! ;) :mad: I just realized, you guys are draggin me into this arguement now!! Once the safety thing hit me, I really started thinkin and gettin angry about the way us auto makers handle recalls.....I gotta be careful....I might go back to the darkside and start arguing again..... :eek: You guys are drawing me in......must....resist....teh ...urge......to.....argue.....

Maristar210
03-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Hey look everybody Hoosier Bob is making serious and cognative comments ;)

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't know why I do this to myself! Thanks Steve! Back to work! 8p

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Hey look everybody Hoosier Bob is making serious and cognative comments ;)
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

ZING!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Anybody with the exploding expeditions get a call yet that they have the replacement part for your cruise control? Mine's been disconnected since November!!!

On the other hand, my honda with 116,000 miles on it is still running like a top. This won't be my last accord for sure.
I still wonder where this faulty cruise control you speak of was made. Do I suspect they sabotage these parts to make the others brands look better..... I suppose its possible some have said. Was it they were trying to be cost efficient purhcasing said parts from elsewhere, was it good business practice to try and save a few bucks in manufacturing. I suppose, but look at the end result...... Some do I imagine.

Maristar210
03-24-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't know why I do this to myself! Thanks Steve! Back to work! 8p

Lunch TIme Bob. 12:08 in the eastern zone. Eating grilled chicken salad and drinking water....LAME

Big Show tonight for us Bob?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 12:14 PM
I am as confused as you Steve!

It use to be that Ford, GM and Dodge were the domestics and pretty much everyone else were the imports. I don't thing this is true today.

If Ford, GM, and Chrysler are not going to get their chit together and produce reliable vehicles with reliable service when needed, they will become a thing of the past.

Most car buyers do not buy a vehicle because it says Ford, GMC, or Chrysler on the front.

I also don't see how saying "I will only buy Ford or GMC because they are American" holds any weight in todays World.

If I am way off, please correct me.
Somewhere on here there is a breakdown of the percentage of where certain car manufacturers build their vehicles and buy their parts.

I am all for buying "Made in America' products, but a lot of things that are "Made in America" and have heavy overseas ties.
I don't have an answer to your question. But I can answer it with questions.
Where does the "Bottom line $" go?
Where does the majority of the "labor" go?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Its about safety, and safety has NO price!!!

Yea, and it's a good thing they took back all those tires in the last few years.. Now that those tires are gone, how many reports have been filed. I wonder now, was it the tires, or the trucks.... Noone seems to know. But again, since they pulled the tires, how many more reports have been filed...?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 12:22 PM
:mad: I just realized, you guys are draggin me into this arguement now!! Once the safety thing hit me, I really started thinkin and gettin angry about the way us auto makers handle recalls.....I gotta be careful....I might go back to the darkside and start arguing again..... :eek: You guys are drawing me in......must....resist....teh ...urge......to.....argue.....
Nah, its ok if you still in the corner and watch. Some of us choose to do that as well.
Funny thing though, this thread started out on a good note to keep a mental note for people in the future when you go to buy a used Honda someday what suprise might be in store.
The whole DRIVE BY WIRE idea still has me nervous. By the way, where are those controls made?:o

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I still wonder where this faulty cruise control you speak of was made. Do I suspect they sabotage these parts to make the others brands look better..... I suppose its possible some have said. Was it they were trying to be cost efficient purhcasing said parts from elsewhere, was it good business practice to try and save a few bucks in manufacturing. I suppose, but look at the end result...... Some do I imagine.

My beef is not so much that there was a problem with the part, but rather the time between when some were recalled and when mine, apparently having just as bad a part was recalled. Then, when I take it in, they just disconnect the CC and wrap it in tape. Now, after waiting four months for the part, neither Ford nor my Ford dealer, both of whom were given all of my contact info, bother to call me and are unapologetic about it.

Who knows if foreign companies sold the part and sabatoged it? I'm sure it's possible, but since I've seen absolutely no evidence of it in this instance, I'll continue to operate under the presumption that my 6 year old Honda Accord that I paid $6,700 for will continue to run well with basic maintenance just like my last one did.

Frankly, if I didn't need to tow the boat, I wouldn't have ever traded my first accord in on the expedition. I weigh 170. 4 cylinders churning out 150 hp is more than adequate to get me around.

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Nah, its ok if you still in the corner and watch. Some of us choose to do that as well.
Funny thing though, this thread started out on a good note to keep a mental note for people in the future when you go to buy a used Honda someday what suprise might be in store.
The whole DRIVE BY WIRE idea still has me nervous. By the way, where are those controls made?:o

It's just new civics, right? I know that my year Honda had some transmission issues for which the warranty was extended to 100K miles. So I do think about that. But I'm at 116k miles and still chugging. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my car will not develop such symptoms.

And I don't mean to sound altogether down on Ford. My wife's 97 Exploder is pushing 225k miles with such minimal maintenance it's incredible. Only major maintenance was to replace the radiator at 50k miles. Since then, it's just been tires, breaks, oil, tranny fluid, tune up, etc. Oh, and she paid $140 trying to chase down a noice and to have a giant grasshopper cleaned off the throttle body. It's been an amazing car.

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 12:30 PM
I weigh 170

On which planet?!? :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 12:31 PM
I think the great thing about America is our system allows us to chose the best product available. Imagine the quality of our products if everyone purchased solely according to loyalty and not competition. George Orwell thought of a similar system. I applaud you loyalty and will say this: All things being egual my loyalty will be American products but I will not compromise quality. Malibu, Cavalier are you sreious? No offense but have you seen the resale? Can anyone say a Malibu/Cavalier comes even remotely close to a Honda regarding resale? Your brothers are stealing from you and me! Because of them I cannot reap the reward of $2 an hour labor. Because of them I am paying $25000 for an Accord that could be sold for around $18000! They are stealing from us all! I wish I could tell someone my cost of funds is too high and the gods would pass it on to my competition! WFT Good points and I still love you man! When are we riding some rice burners? :D
Well, I never could have made $1000 profit on a car I drove for 5000 miles paid next to nothing for, did some minor engine repairs and resold 2 months later if there wasn't a strong market for these junk cars. I HATED EVERY SINGLE SECOND I WAS IN IT OT HAD TO LOOK AT IT!!! I can't believe people actually enjoy getting in these things. And to defend them. I guess I don't really know what I am talking about until I one day will have a dream of getting in one again.
HB,
DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I would not go buy a malibu, new or used. Would I buy one before a Honda, heck yes. However, if someone I know says I want a new car, I have this much to spend, you NOW know where they will be sent. For myself, the question is irrelevant.

And you asked about riding... I have been waiting for the invitation. Where and when!?!?!?

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 12:34 PM
On which planet?!? :D

Earth baby! Amazing what giving up those drinks with all the sugar in them will do. Close to 30 lbs in 2 months. No lie. :D

milkmania
03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
proudly displayed on all my vehicles:headbang:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/usa1.gif

it's probably made in China:rant:

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Earth baby! Amazing what giving up those drinks with all the sugar in them will do. Close to 30 lbs in 2 months. No lie. :D

Just giving you crap!

Good for you!

I gave up caffeine around October of last year. That was the chittiest week of my life!
I only drink water, grape juice and Tangerine Pom juice now. Have been watching what I eat also. Not eating so much. I'm not sure how much, if any weight I have lost, but I feel lighter! :)

boatless
03-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I live in Michigan. Own a 1997 Ford explorer, spend around $8,000 to fix the the truck during the time it was running. It is now sitting in my drive way waiting for a new engine. :rolleyes: Bought a 1998 Ford Expedition, the tranny were gone around 35,000 miles. Brought it to the dealer for warranty fix. Got charge for half the cost, was told that I should not be paying for anything due to a tranny warranty 60,000 miles. Went back to the dealer for the money back. Got nothing til today.

I live in the USA, would love to buy stuff from the US. But face it people. In the future, there won't be much made in the USA anymore. GM and Ford parts are being made over seas.

Instead of talking back and forth of which car from which country we should buy. Why don't we try to build a better car to compete with the world. As for me, from now on. I will try to buy a car that would last longer and will not break down when considering new. I am still looking for a good and reliable mini van, any idea ? :D

boatless
03-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Oh ! one more thing. I hope Mastercraft is not buying their parts from over seas. Cause if they do, I will move to China and live with Mao. :rant: I almost forgot, I don't own an MC yet. :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Before we go on about whos vehicles last how long with what maintenance. Think about this. Are you sure you want to get into it? I have LOTS to talk about if we really want to get into it. But shouldn't we change the thread and let others join that road to nowhere?

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 12:45 PM
How 'bout them Braves?!?

milkmania
03-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Before we go on about whos vehicles last how long with what maintenance. Think about this. Are you sure you want to get into it? I have LOTS to talk about if we really want to get into it. But shouldn't we change the thread and let others join that road to nowhere?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/Thread-Direction.jpg

;)

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 12:50 PM

If I log in after lunch and this thread is gone, I'll not lose sleep over it. We can all talk until we're blue in the face and it won't make a difference. So let's just move on. I've made my decision and I doubt this honda will be my last.

For what it's worth. A lot of it was made in Ohio. Many of the tune up parts were installed in my driveway in Texas. All the guys that sold it to me and worked on it installing the timing belt at the dealership are Americans near as I can tell.

I'm going to lunch.

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 12:51 PM
How 'bout them Braves?!?

Forget the Braves. How 'bout them Longhorns!

/has never seen a team hit as many 3s as WV did last night. Good thing it's not about how many 3s you hit as it is when you hit the 3s.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 03:03 PM
If I log in after lunch and this thread is gone, I'll not lose sleep over it. We can all talk until we're blue in the face and it won't make a difference. So let's just move on. I've made my decision and I doubt this honda will be my last.

For what it's worth. A lot of it was made in Ohio. Many of the tune up parts were installed in my driveway in Texas. All the guys that sold it to me and worked on it installing the timing belt at the dealership are Americans near as I can tell.

I'm going to lunch.

Personally, I'd like to see you tow the MC with the honda.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Forget the Braves. How 'bout them Longhorns!
They both Suk...!

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Personally, I'd like to see you tow the MC with the honda.

Uh, it's an accord. Why not ski behind a row boat. Not really the point of it. My plan is to hang on to this expedition I've got for as long as possible, driving it about once a week or so in addition to towing the boat with it as needed. For those situations where I need to move me and maybe a couple of other people (about 95% of my driving), I'll leave the expedition at home. That's just my situation. If I didn't have the boat, I wouldn't have a truck.

Sort of a related topic since the thread hasn't died, which American cars would you buy with 100k+ miles on them assuming all maintenance was in order? And I mean cars, not trucks.

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Not trying to threadjack here but what are you guys talking about related to blown up cruise controls.

Oh.... i wont even get started on my love of a certain US Automaker. I will say this though, after talking with our attorney he said in this order (worst to not as worse) these are the least responsive automakers

1. General Motors
2. Daimler Chrysler
3. Ford

He said imports are great to work with because they always come thru quick and easy with any claims. This comes from someone whos been doing this for 15 years..

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Uh, it's an accord.
I knew that......8p

Sort of a related topic since the thread hasn't died, which American cars would you buy with 100k+ miles on them assuming all maintenance was in order? And I mean cars, not trucks. Easy question to answer, there are alot of options...
Bonneville, Grand Prix, Impala, Grand Marquis, Caprice, Monte Carlo, Riviera....
Was there a certain size limitiation I was suppose to consider?

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 03:23 PM
which American cars would you buy with 100k+ miles on them assuming all maintenance was in order? And I mean cars, not trucks.

none..........

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Not trying to threadjack here but what are you guys talking about related to blown up cruise controls.

Oh.... i wont even get started on my love of a certain US Automaker. I will say this though, after talking with our attorney he said in this order (worst to not as worse) these are the least responsive automakers

1. General Motors
2. Daimler Chrysler
3. Ford

He said imports are great to work with because they always come thru quick and easy with any claims. This comes from someone whos been doing this for 15 years..
Well its a good thing its big brother is Mercedez Benz, or we could still call it Domestic right?
And you still haven't figured out what is wrong with your truck? What is the problem again?

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Well its a good thing its big brother is Mercedez Benz, or we could still call it Domestic right?
And you still haven't figured out what is wrong with your truck? What is the problem again?

Oh I figured out a LONG time ago what was wrong with it. The fit and finish is a joke. I've ridden in 20 year old farm trucks that had less squeaks and rattles than this thing does with 30k of all road miles.

redmike
03-24-2006, 03:33 PM
ok wft, I agreed with you for years, I've been travelling for work alot lately, and have been driving rentals getting a new one every month, my take is that the NEW domestics are just not as well built on average. New expedition (<5k miles), driving down the freeway, and the window trim blew off.....My accord has >112k, runs/drives great gets better mileage, and has a better resale than ANY domestic car in it's class....As far as a truck goes, there is No import that has impressed me or will last as long as my CUMMINS......

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 03:38 PM
8p
Easy question to answer, there are alot of options...
Bonneville, Grand Prix, Impala, Grand Marquis, Caprice, Monte Carlo, Riviera....
Was there a certain size limitiation I was suppose to consider?

No, I was just thinking cars as opposed to SUVs and trucks. We have had awful luck with American cars. I once had a mustang and my wife had a sebring. Both were horrible vehicles and were enough to convince us that we wouldn't own another Ford or Chrysler car. For some reason, I feel differently about Ford trucks as far as owning one.

My point was that I bought my current Honda with 110k miles on it and didn't worry a bit that I couldn't at least hit 200k miles. For whatever reason, and based partially on our personal experience with two American car makers' cars, it'd be hard to convince me to buy another one. Sure, I know I didn't try Chevy. But that is two of the big 3 that we had and because of the experience, from a car standpoint, we've turned our back on them.

Again, I feel there is a difference b/w their cars and their trucks for whatever reason.

redmike
03-24-2006, 03:38 PM
after saying all of the above, I am still waiting for the new challenger to come out.....hope they don't sc$#w it up!!!!

03-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Just from my expereince in the car biz, I would buy an Impala with 100k without thinking twice about it. Those have been awesome for our dealership. Keep in mind I submit all teh warranty claims, those cars have been terrific for us. I really would buy one with 100K if I felt the previous owner had taken care of it well. My uncle traded his in with 100K and could have sold that car 4 times that week. We got top dollar for it too. I am just speaking from my personal expereinces, I know there are probably people that hate the impalas and have had trouble with them. Put it this way, I would buy an impala before ANY other american CAR. My Girlfriend is moving here soon, we were considering getting her a Subaru Outback, camry, Rav 4, Chev Equinox, trailblazer and others....but she decided to go with a used Impala, so I got my eyes peeled. I know its switching from apples to oranges, but I can cherry pick a real nice used Impala and pay wholesale for it because of my job, and have a he11 of a good car for way less money. I will say this, I will not let her buy a trailblazer from what I have seen....too many things go wrong with them...nickel and dime stuff. I am not impressed with those equinoxes yet either, poor gas mileage, I think they are priced too high too for what you get, same with the trailblazer. :twocents: if you really want a good value for your dollar, get a used buick century, Butt ugly car, but cheap used, and darn near bulletproof. We have no problem taking those in with 100K, they are good cars, ugly, but good if your into value.

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I will say my 1st car was a 87' Chrysler Lebaron Coupe that I bought from a family member at 76k miles. That car was one tough cookie. It survived me til 110k miles of sheer utter abuse (read: dukes of hazzard) and survived a 1 1/2 years of my sister and her multiple wrecks before it finally became to costly to fix. I suppose by todays standards thats not that great as for total miles but I was fairly impressed considering the abuse that car took

captain planet
03-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I hate to jump in the middle of this, but I just can't keep my hands from typing on this subject....oh and sorry for the thread jack, but it has already gone WAY off subject.

Anyway, one of the following things are true:

1. I have had hardly ANY problems with my American vehicles and am just lucky, or,

2. The rest of you that have all these problems just beat the chit out of everything and then get pissed when it breaks.

I put 100K on a Ranger and had two problems over 8 years. The Ranger before that one I put 78K on and only had to replace the breaks. I have a focus that currently has 63K miles on it and I still have the ORIGINAL rotors. Now, I will say that when the fuel pump went out on the Focus, I was a bit miffed (mostly cuz I couldn't fix it myself) but beyond that, it is a great little car. Gets 30+ mpg and is pretty fun to drive. I would take it over a Civic any day of the week.

Either the rest of you just don't take care of your cars, or you really have bad luck. Oh and just for the record, Toyota and Honda have had increases in the number of recalls over the last two years.

I have to say I'm with Milk, Workin 4 toys and oldschool on this subject.

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
CP

what year Rangers? I had a 94' that was a GREAT lil truck, shouln't have gotten rid of it. Later on I bought a 00' Ranger (my first new car) it had those hypereurchractic (sp) pistons (when they were new tech) and it was a POS. 2 trans, 2 motors, all less than 20k miles. Needless to say Ford bought that one back without me even getting to fussy with them.

I wouldn't consider myself hard on vehicles (now, can't say that when I was a teeny bopper) but I do expect my vehicle to perform. I do all regular maintenence and keep up on tire rotations every 6k miles and all that other junk. Yet, I still can't say I have had overwheling luck with any brand american made. I did enjoy my last Ram with the Cummins, but what I really enjoyed was the Cummins, the ram wrapped around it was just ok.......

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Captain, as for me, I take good care of my vehicles. My wife has always been reasonably good about maintenance as well. I can't really speak for the Sebring she owned as she'd had it for a while before we met. But at any rate, I wouldn't say we'd done anything too differently between those cars and other cars we own.

Anything you know about me, you know from this site. I think you can look at pictures of my boat on here and know that I take better than average care of my toys. Anything other than basic maintenance, I leave to the pros.

As I said before, I draw a distinction b/w American cars and American trucks. I just think the trucks are better built. And I own one.

But when it comes to cars, I've had one Ford and two Hondas. If it was a matter of luck, then the Hondas are really lucky and the Ford was cursed.

boatless
03-24-2006, 04:03 PM
No, I don't abuse my cars. I paid for it with my hard earn money so I tend to taking good care of my stuff.

The problem with my explorer and expidition was, oohh!! I am going to get burn by this. It was built by Unio&*%^s employee and engineering.

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 04:05 PM
No, I don't abuse my cars. I paid for it with my hard earn money so I tend to taking good care of my stuff.

The problem with my explorer and expidition was, oohh!! I am going to get burn by this. It was built by Unio&*%^s employee and engineering.

:eek: :eek: :eek: hope you got your flame suit on!!!

03-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Uh-oh, this definetaly isnt good.....yea.....yea....denfinetly not good......yea.....Uh-oh....yea.....defineatly gonna be a problem....
http://www.televisione.it/fnts/televisione/immagini/278x182/rainman.jpg

im waiting for hte big booom........

http://www.sightandhearing.org/news/healthissue/old/images/plugging-ears.jpg

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I hate to jump in the middle of this, but I just can't keep my hands from typing on this subject....oh and sorry for the thread jack, but it has already gone WAY off subject.

Anyway, one of the following things are true:

1. I have had hardly ANY problems with my American vehicles and am just lucky, or,

2. The rest of you that have all these problems just beat the chit out of everything and then get pissed when it breaks.

I put 100K on a Ranger and had two problems over 8 years. The Ranger before that one I put 78K on and only had to replace the breaks. I have a focus that currently has 63K miles on it and I still have the ORIGINAL rotors. Now, I will say that when the fuel pump went out on the Focus, I was a bit miffed (mostly cuz I couldn't fix it myself) but beyond that, it is a great little car. Gets 30+ mpg and is pretty fun to drive. I would take it over a Civic any day of the week.

Either the rest of you just don't take care of your cars, or you really have bad luck. Oh and just for the record, Toyota and Honda have had increases in the number of recalls over the last two years.

I have to say I'm with Milk, Workin 4 toys and oldschool on this subject.

My Dad is a loyal Ford buyer. He will not buy anything but Ford.
He just bought a used 2000 Ranger 4.0L V6 with, I think, 120K miles. He has had it about 1 month and has already had to put new heads on it!
Previous owner took meticulous care of it.

jrcarte78
03-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Personally, I think Pennzoil is a much better motor oil than Quaker State.

Uhhhhhhh...... OOOOHHHH...... DOH!!!

This thread is about motor oil...... Right??

Sorry.

:D

bcampbe7
03-24-2006, 04:16 PM

I agree...

03-24-2006, 04:16 PM
McDonalds rules, BK is garbage! ;)

redmike
03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
mcdonalds is garbage, wendy's rules

Maristar210
03-24-2006, 04:18 PM

Cuuussshhhh (Sound of a beer opening)

I think I'll sit back and watch the fireworks....Especially since I manage 50 Union workers who are sometimes very talented yet and sometimes very stupid........ :popcorn: :popcorn:

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Personally, I think Pennzoil is a much better motor oil than Quaker State.

Uhhhhhhh...... OOOOHHHH...... DOH!!!

This thread is about motor oil...... Right??

Sorry.

:D

Amsoil!!! :rolleyes: :D

captain planet
03-24-2006, 04:28 PM
jrandol, my first Ranger was a 93' 2-wheel peel with the 3.0 L standard transmission. Now, I was NOT friendly to that truck, meaning I drove it hard since it was a stick. My second was a 96 STX, 4WD, 4.0 L. I think the only thing it didnt' have was leather interior. WHAT A GREAT TRUCK!!!!!!!! Hands down the favorite vehicle I have ever owned. I got it with 34K on it and it had 125K on it when I got rid of it. I had to do a ball-joint job on it with 109K and had to put a EGR on it with 116K (rusted out). It looked as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it. I still wish I hadn't sold it, I have YET to find ANYTHING that drove as good as that little truck did in the snow. Friend of mine has a co-worker with a 97' Ranger with the 4.0 L and has 240K on it, original tranny, original engine. Those 96, 97 Rangers with the 4.0L are bullet-proof.
I now have a Suburban and it is nice, but I still love that little Ranger.

I am unfamiliar with what you are talking about, the hypereurchractic pistons? Don't know what they are.

I have a 2000 Ranger for a company truck and I have to say, it isn't as much a truck as my 96 was.

boatless
03-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Maristar210,

Don't you get me introuble here, I didn't say Union. You said it. :uglyhamme

milkmania
03-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Just from my expereince in the car biz, I would buy an Impala with 100k without thinking twice about it.

I feel the same way about my subs:steering:

1995 K1500 124,000 miles
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/white_sub.jpg

captain planet
03-24-2006, 04:54 PM
I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by implying that the rest of you beat your cars, I just don't seem to have many of the problems that many people have with thier cars. :wavey: bygons, fishism.

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 04:58 PM
You didn't ruffle my feathers. Just 'xplainin' that I go pretty easy on the equipment around my house. And again, to distinguish, I don't consider a Ford Ranger a car.

With my mustang, the problems began when the starter went out the day after the 1 year (yeah, one year) warranty was up. It was downhill from there.

On another note, my wife's stepmother's 92 Explorer sport got 180k miles out of the original clutch.

captain planet
03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
You didn't ruffle my feathers. Just 'xplainin' that I go pretty easy on the equipment around my house. And again, to distinguish, I don't consider a Ford Ranger a car.

With my mustang, the problems began when the starter went out the day after the 1 year (yeah, one year) warranty was up. It was downhill from there.

On another note, my wife's stepmother's 92 Explorer sport got 180k miles out of the original clutch.
What year Mustang?

milkmania
03-24-2006, 05:03 PM
sounds like they put a count down timer in that Mustang.....

ding, time's up:eek:

03-24-2006, 05:03 PM
I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by implying that the rest of you beat your cars, I just don't seem to have many of the problems that many people have with thier cars. :wavey: bygons, fishism.

Ruffle feathers?? this whole thread is about ruffling feathers!! ;)

WFT, dude you cant sit back now, Boatless basicaly called you out!! This is like wrestling......waitin for someone to wack someone else over the head with a chair :popcorn: Can I be the lippy instigating manager that carries a tennis raquet? ;)

milkmania
03-24-2006, 05:06 PM
This is like wrestling......waitin for someone to wack someone else over the head with a chair :popcorn:

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/chair1.gif

captain planet
03-24-2006, 05:09 PM

WFT, dude you cant sit back now, Boatless basicaly called you out!! This is like wrestling......waitin for someone to wack someone else over the head with a chair :popcorn: Can I be the lippy instigating manager that carries a tennis raquet? ;)
Shouldn't you be carrying a bull-horn like the "Mouth of the South"? :purplaugh

boatless
03-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Ok guy, I am going to pack up my tail and I am oute here. Have a nice weekend youl.

03-24-2006, 05:18 PM
You cant leave now!!! I just found my tennis raquet!! Milky found a chair! (you rule milky!!! :D ) this is just getting good. I demand to see action here!! :mad: I almost get my a** whuped here over a few polls, so this thread should really produce some whoop arse!! ;)

east tx skier
03-24-2006, 05:30 PM
What year Mustang?

89 4 cylinder.

03-24-2006, 05:36 PM
alright man, Im ready, milk grab the chair!!! :D
http://www.therealmccoys.com/images/signed/wa01202.jpg

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Great thread until Milk took a pic of his neighbor's burban! We all know you drive a 1981 VW Rabbit! Do you think we don't remember the,"Hey anyone tow a MC with a Rabbit?" thread! One of many! ;) I feel the same way about my subs:steering:

1995 K1500 124,000 miles
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/white_sub.jpg

milkmania
03-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Great thread until Milk took a pic of his neighbor's burban! We all know you drive a 1981 VW Rabbit! Do you think we don't remember the,"Hey anyone tow a MC with a Rabbit?" thread! One of many! ;)

another feeble attempt at a derail ahead:steering:
I've got the cargo doors on my trucks...
I want to add my MasterCraft decal to the back, got any ideas how to span the gap of the doors in the center?:(

the trim on the glass spans 1 1/2 inches total

btw.... I detest decals on vehicles...
except one:rolleyes:

03-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Did you grab that chair yet milk?? dont fail me now!!! :mad:

Nice burb BTW!!! :D

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I would go smaller and put a decal on the drivers side window only up or down. A nice MC in the bottom right pass side would also look cool but subtle. Perhaps a hint of gold leaf to set it off! ;) Oh yeah a cool HONDA emblem may help with the resale! :D

03-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Like milk is gonna take advice from you :uglyhamme

milkmania
03-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Nice burb BTW!!! :D

thanks, put it in my driveway for under 6K:D

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=114405&postcount=2

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Sorry to jack but that is awesome! Are you sure it isn't the neighbors? ;) Nice job!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 06:44 PM

I must have missed the "calling" out. What did I miss? This thread has been pretty busy lately and I am playing catch up.

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 06:47 PM
A lot of posturing and name calling. No blows yet. I think we are just going to wrestle each other to the ground and spoon for awhile!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
89 4 cylinder.
And this is what you have to drop the domestic vehicle lineups?!?!? I guess I see your side now...:o

6ballsisall
03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
wrestle each other to the ground and spoon for awhile!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Maristar210
03-24-2006, 06:54 PM
A lot of posturing and name calling. No blows yet. I think we are just going to wrestle each other to the ground and spoon for awhile!

First time I laughed out loud all day

03-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I must have missed the "calling" out. What did I miss? This thread has been pretty busy lately and I am playing catch up.

I was just referring to his comment about union workers, figured it would have lit you up and got a responce.

03-24-2006, 07:09 PM

Do Ever hang out at the Blue Oyster bar HB??

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:11 PM
This may be a coincidence but yes I have hung out at The Oyster Bar in Broadripple. I for some reason do not think that is what you meant though! My only question would be; DO THEY SERVE BEER? Wait is this some kind of Reeper/Godzilla joke?

03-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Yea, Its a Buck Darhma joke. "so the grim reeper and Godzilla walk into the blue oyster cult bar and the bartender says....." :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I was just referring to his comment about union workers, figured it would have lit you up and got a responce.

And WHAT ABOUT ME MAKES YOU THINK THAT!!!:mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 07:37 PM

Oh this.......... I got it now.
Hey, take it how you want it. I am not about to throw stones.... There are good and bad workers in EVERY field.

03-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Oh this.......... I got it now.
Hey, take it how you want it. I am not about to throw stones.... There are good and bad workers in EVERY field.

I just thought being you were pro american, that the union thing would have stirred you up. I assumed, and I was wrong. Sorry dude. didnt mean to upset you. I can admit when I **** up and this is one of those times. :o

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:43 PM
We are all pro AMERICAN! But some Americans are pro's at doing nothing! :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 07:45 PM
I just thought being you were pro american, that the union thing would have stirred you up. I assumed, and I was wrong. Sorry dude. didnt mean to upset you. I can admit when I **** up and this is one of those times. :o

What bothers me, is people assuming they know me.....

03-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Dude, I told you I am sorry. I wasnt assuming I knew you, I just assumed that you might have gotten stirred up by that post. I dont know what else to say man. I was wrong, and I am sorry. See, UMP should have kept his STUPID mouth shut and stayed out of it. Lesson learned.

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:49 PM
WFT! You sound like every hilljack I know! ;)

03-24-2006, 07:50 PM
You sound like every hilljack I know! ;)

what does that mean? :confused:

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Sorry UMP I edited! This should help, ahem, GIT R DONE! :D

oldschool84
03-24-2006, 09:19 PM
:purplaugh Sorry UMP I edited! This should help, ahem, GIT R DONE! :D
THEY CALL ME TATER SALAD :D

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Very funny! I thought I was the only one who got it! Can't wait for WFT to get back and light me up!

03-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Very funny! I thought I was the only one who got it! Can't wait for WFT to get back and light me up!

I wouldnt worry about you, I think he's PO'd at ME! :o

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 10:01 PM
WFT! You sound like every hilljack I know! ;)
I thought the term for people like yourself was "Hillrod"......or was it "Dillrod"? Either way....:rant:

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
I thought that might get you up! Allright, lighten up frances! See you on the Hoosier thread as I am done already! Thanks, Hillrod! :D I thought the term for people like yourself was "Hillrod"......or was it "Dillrod"? Either way....:rant:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2006, 10:05 PM
I thought that might get you up! Allright, lighten up frances! See you on the Hoosier thread as I am done already! Thanks, Hillrod! :D

TUNER BOB has exited all reality...

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 10:06 PM
UMP, WFT is like a big ole Rottweiler! He just wants to hump on ya for awhile but after that he calms down and hangs around. :D I wouldnt worry about you, I think he's PO'd at ME! :o

03-24-2006, 10:09 PM
UMP, WFT is like a big ole Rottweiler! He just wants to hump on ya for awhile but after that he calms down and hangs around. :D

Well, I dont know him that well like you do. I got the impression he didnt like what I typed.

Maristar210
03-24-2006, 10:10 PM
JEEEEZZZZ

With all due respect and without attempting to offend anyone...

SHUT THE HE!! UP

Gawd guys ....come on already..

S

Hoosier Bob
03-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Just let him finish and all will be OK!

Leroy
03-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Flame on Wayne! Been on the bus for 8 hours going to Memphis for soccer college showcase!

Had a reply earlier, but hit Backspace by mistake....it's not me or HB making up statisics about the quality of brands of automobiles or laying off people or shutting down plants or offering money for workers to leave, just the free market at work. I try to stay with the facts, I just want to spend as little as possible on car ownership while getting what I want.

It's not that I hate Ford or GM, I would love it if I had owed one of them and never had problems and had great service experiences. The one's I picked were dogs, there are I think great vehicles in each brand still, corvettes, ford trucks, etc. I've just had bad experiences with both to the point I may never own another, but I keep an open mind and the 07 Tahoe looks really great. You can say whatever you want about Honda and Lexus vehicles, I have combined >35 years of ownership with them, not trouble free, but when there was a problem felt it was handled quickly and to my satisfaction. I've had a recall on my 2004 Odyssey, was easily handled, experience was total pain with my Windstar, again and again.

I'll defend the union workers, I don't think they are the problem I think it is executive mgt at the top making $1-50M salaries. They set the direction of the company or lack of. Note Dorton, the leader of Mastercraft, great leader, visible, evangualizes quality, excellence, and advancing the industry, is the GM CEO doing the same, when did he give a message like that? I've never seen the GM guy. They are the ones that make a difference between A Toyota or MC and GM. One is gaining market share, never had a layoff, the other has been losing market share and is at risk of junk credit rating. Workers at Honda Maryville plant are no different than the GM Detroit workers, executive management is.
This shows management execution: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GM&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=hmc,tm,f

http://ohio.honda.com/ohio/direct.cfm

The other thing to realize is employment goes in cycles, in 1800's farming employed like 98% of the people of the country, in the early 1900's manufacturing employed most of the people and only 1-2% farmers, now we are transitioning from manf to new industries. Dominate professions and industries now: medical (Lilly, J&J, Medtronic, hospitals, etc), banking, insurance, shipping (fedex, UPS), global manufacturing conglomerates (Jabil, Flex, etc) and lawyers.

Tom023
03-25-2006, 07:59 AM
I agree with you Leroy pretty much up to where you place all the blame on management and none on the unions. I agree management has the responsiblilty to set the direction and develop the culture, but they only can work with what they have, and the unions fall into that mix, something the transplants don't have to deal with. The reason why you can have a great experience at Lexus and a poor one at Ford, is partly due to the amount of money each company has to satisfy the customer and built quality products. With the domestics currently trapped in contracts where their union workers make exceptionally high wages as opposed to their non-union counterparts, yeah, it hurts the ability for the company to be competitive and have the ability to put money into products and customer satisfaction. I'm not saying it's all the union's fault, and it's really not their workers fault although there does seem to be a feeling of entitlement within UAW workers, but the unions (management) have to share in a lot of the blame when it comes to the state of the U.S. auto industry.

As far a top executive salaries, tough subject to debate. I'll just leave it by saying Bill Ford made $0 last year, and for many years before that, and his top managers are paid considerably less than other top executives in other companies.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Now that this thread has completely redirected.
I would not hesitate to buy a new Bonneville. Oh wait I can't anymore. Then they give us the Solstice... Neat, but should have stayed a concept. Athough very inexpensive, hope to see some at the track one day.

oldschool84
03-25-2006, 02:40 PM
mcdonalds is garbage, wendy's rules
Wendy's Sucks too it is all s*it SUBWAY RULES :rant:

Leroy
03-25-2006, 02:49 PM
That really drives me crazy is the churn of brand names. It takes a lot of money to make a brand name and look at all of them over the years.

Now that this thread has completely redirected.
I would not hesitate to buy a new Bonneville. Oh wait I can't anymore. Then they give us the Solstice... Neat, but should have stayed a concept. Athough very inexpensive, hope to see some at the track one day.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 02:58 PM
GTO, now that is one that should have stayed in the retirement books.

Leroy
03-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Agree, and it was PAST executive mgt created the enviroment for the unions and negiotated the contact to the point where they are now. I agree this makes it difficult, but they made their own bed.

Bill Ford is the one exec I have seen and I do like him.

I agree with you Leroy pretty much up to where you place all the blame on management and none on the unions. I agree management has the responsiblilty to set the direction and develop the culture, but they only can work with what they have, and the unions fall into that mix, something the transplants don't have to deal with. The reason why you can have a great experience at Lexus and a poor one at Ford, is partly due to the amount of money each company has to satisfy the customer and built quality products. With the domestics currently trapped in contracts where their union workers make exceptionally high wages as opposed to their non-union counterparts, yeah, it hurts the ability for the company to be competitive and have the ability to put money into products and customer satisfaction. I'm not saying it's all the union's fault, and it's really not their workers fault although there does seem to be a feeling of entitlement within UAW workers, but the unions (management) have to share in a lot of the blame when it comes to the state of the U.S. auto industry.

As far a top executive salaries, tough subject to debate. I'll just leave it by saying Bill Ford made $0 last year, and for many years before that, and his top managers are paid considerably less than other top executives in other companies.

Leroy
03-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Remember the Toyota Rollova :D

http://www.joslinhall.com/cars.htm

east tx skier
03-25-2006, 03:29 PM
And this is what you have to drop the domestic vehicle lineups?!?!? I guess I see your side now...:o

Yes. A car is a car. Why offer it if it's garbage. And then there was the sebring. The only thing reliable about that car was the Mitsubishi engine (but we blame them for the sebring, too. Just for good measure). Friggin' axle fell off the car. Door handle came off in my wife's hand one day. Junk! Junk! Junk!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:36 PM
I am not sure if I would prefer the axle falling out, the door handle being pulled off, or the ENGINE FALLING OUT of a toyota corrolla. Sorry, not a fan of toys either....... Its a good thing the dealer only wanted $550.00 to change an engine mount after 70,000 miles. Must be too much power.:rolleyes:

oldschool84
03-25-2006, 08:40 PM
I have had great luck with every CHEVY I have ever owned. :steering: I will say the 2002 Impala LS Sport I had was a great car and still running strong with 150,000 and almost no problems. My dad owns a Honda Quad and if I every Bought one I would look at the Honda's First!

redmike
03-25-2006, 08:42 PM
GTO, now that is one that should have stayed in the retirement books.
agreed, along with the 4 door charger????? who comes up with these, HEMI is cool, 4 doors on a charger is not....my rebel flag paited on the roof would look funny..... :uglyhamme

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Ever wonder why they are still called Civics and Corollas after 30+ years? No reason to hide! Why do imports rarely if ever change the name of a vehicle? How many entry level vehicles have the big three gone through? Too many to count! I will take the word of the big three over anyone elses! If they are so great why change the name? Witness protection? If I change the name of My Accord to Big Stick I have lost all credit the Accord has earned. EXACTLY! I would guess they change the name for fear the turd they build this year will ruin all they have worked for! Just a thought! :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:46 PM
I own a honda lawnmover and snowblower.:eek: I guess its a good thing I don't have to cram myself into them and drive them down the street. I might have to take back all my comments....:eek3:

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Maybe Honda will buy the rights to the name CAMARO, GTO and TRANS AM! Where the **** did they go? How do you let all that has made you disappear? My 98 TA would sh** and get and carry an entry door in the hatch! Yeah baby!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:48 PM
I have had great luck with every CHEVY I have ever owned. :steering: I will say the 2002 Impala LS Sport I had was a great car and still running strong with 150,000 and almost no problems. My dad owns a Honda Quad and if I every Bought one I would look at the Honda's First!
Look at Arctic Cats second.... They use Suzuki engines....:eek: :cool:

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 08:49 PM
So how big are you? 6'6", 275? I just want to know how far to push this! :D I own a honda lawnmover and snowblower.:eek: I guess its a good thing I don't have to cram myself into them and drive them down the street. I might have to take back all my comments....:eek3:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Maybe Honda will buy the rights to the name CAMARO, GTO and TRANS AM! Where the **** did they go? How do you let all that has made you disappear? My 98 TA would sh** and get and carry an entry door in the hatch! Yeah baby!Don't tell me you had a Ram Air WS6?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:50 PM
So how big are you? 6'6", 275? I just want to know how far to push this! :DYou hit the " part give or take 6" but the rest is questionable...;)

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 08:51 PM
NO! It was for the little lady! R4/305 hp 5.7! Now if it was up to me? The little bugger would still fly! I don't know that I would be able to top an R4 with a 6 spd without a lot of practice. Very fun car but hard on tires!

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 08:52 PM
That makes you my size! I am guessing not 7'2"! Wait, how much weight? :D KICK HIS A** SEABASS!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:55 PM
NO! It was for the little lady! R4/305 hp 5.7! Now if it was up to me? The little bugger would still fly! I don't know that I would be able to top an R4 with a 6 spd without a lot of practice. Very fun car but hard on tires!WOW..... LISA is a car chic.... I like her more everytime you bring her up....

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:56 PM
A Ford Car I would buy.....

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 08:56 PM
A chevy car I would buy.....

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Actually she wants to find an 00-02 WS6. When her lease is up on the Trailblazer she is going back. She is cool and is easy to talk into cool toys! When she goes back I will have to drop the Accord (I know you are heartbroken) and get a 4x4 F250 Q cab Deisel! OH YEAH! I am holding out until Honda makes the purchase though! ;)

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Marauder? Impalla SS 96 vintage 350 LT1? Not a fan of the 4.6 but the Impalla SS has it all! Gangster, Blacked out and big HP with unlimited possibilities!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Actually she wants to find an 00-02 WS6. When her lease is up on the Trailblazer she is going back. She is cool and is easy to talk into cool toys! When she goes back I will have to drop the Accord (I know you are heartbroken) and get a 4x4 F250 Q cab Deisel! OH YEAH! I am holding out until Honda makes the purchase though! ;)
I hope you hold your $ until the new (highly anticipated) twin turbo comes out with I believe the 6.4L. Or if not new, get 99-02 IMO.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Marauder? Impalla SS 96 vintage 350 LT1? Not a fan of the 4.6 but the Impalla SS has it all! Gangster, Blacked out and big HP with unlimited possibilities!
Did you say unlimited? And since I was on a twin turbo kick with the next gen Superduty I felt this was appropriate on a 350....:D

milkmania
03-25-2006, 10:16 PM
A chevy car I would buy.....

did you see Tim Allen's?

http://www.timallen.com/interests/img/impala.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Yes I did... And the rest of his collection.....:eek:
did you see Tim Allen's?

http://www.timallen.com/interests/img/impala.jpg

03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Is it safe for me to come back on this thread with out getting my *** kicked?? I promise not to create havoc. :o

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 11:11 PM
JEEEEZZZZ
Gawd guys ....come on already..

UMP... I think Steve pretty much sums it up.....8p

03-25-2006, 11:17 PM
OK :D :friday: were cool then :)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 11:19 PM
OK were cool then
I am not sure I'd go so far saying Cool:cool: going to yoda and all......:o

Hoosier Bob
03-25-2006, 11:20 PM
UMP I think what M210 was saying was get it on! Stop talkin and kick some arse! Hurry up already!

03-25-2006, 11:24 PM
you mean yoda as in slang for toyota? :confused: I didnt buy a toyota? but the GF was considering them, and its her car, so she decides.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-25-2006, 11:27 PM
you mean yoda as in slang for toyota? :confused: I didnt buy a toyota? but the GF was considering them, and its her car, so she decides.
Yoda...
No that thing you do when you wrap your legs around your head..... (It was a sarcastic comment) And yes I know its called yoga....

03-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Yoda...
No that thing you do when you wrap your legs around your head..... (It was a sarcastic comment) And yes I know its called yoga....

Am I stupid :uglyhamme I totally missed that! I thought since we were talking about cars, it was a ref to toyota. totally forgot you guys rip on me about the yoga :D OK, joke makes sense now!!! :toast: well, were cool on the car thing anyway, sound better?

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Glad to see everything got worked out here while I was gone. Still don't get the engine falling out comment after my last post. That's one thing that hasn't happened to me yet. Although in my old Jeep, it almost did. AMC, I guess that counts for ownership of about 3 or 4 brands there.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Glad to see everything got worked out here while I was gone. Still don't get the engine falling out comment after my last post. That's one thing that hasn't happened to me yet. Although in my old Jeep, it almost did. AMC, I guess that counts for ownership of about 3 or 4 brands there.
Toyota Corrolla.... Its a common problem you would come to find out about AFTER you get sucked into buying one..:o .. If you get past the $1500.00 repair when the timing belt blows, which apparently is also NORMAL. Oh, and the coolant that looks like BLOOD when it gets few thousand miles on it. I guess those people that think they are reliable take those repairs as just the norm.... I don't get it.
I know it has nothing to do with Honda.... But neither does most of the other stuff that come up here so far.

On the flip side..
I was surprised to see 74% of the ISUZU pickup truck was US/Mexico parts. I wonder if the diehard anti-domestic brand loyalists buy isuzu because they are domestic, or because the name makes you think it is foreign. I will have to think about that one for awhile.
Same with Honda I guess, since I keep hearing about how unrealiable some think domestics are, and how reliable imports are but are built domestically with domestic parts.
The clearer it becomes the fuzzier it gets.:confused:

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 08:46 PM
So what is the difference? Some would say management and some would say labor. I won't mention any names but numerous people I know take advantage of this Union situation we speak of. Clock in and go ride the Harley all day! Clock out and ride home! Oh yeah it is a pain in the arse stopping by to take a lunch. Wheel hanger can't work because lugnut guy is off. In my business everyone works harder to cover deficiencies. United Auto Workers are affraid pick up that lug wrench as it may put a sick or lazy mcycle riding buddy out of work. We have a ton to figure out! So the Corrolla sucks and it costs $1500 american to repair, they still call it a corrolla! People still buy a Corrolla! Until you can respond again you must list all of the automobiles names the US automakers have run away from over the time the little POS Corrolla has been around. We had a Vega! My neighbors had a Corrolla! I just want to see all of the names you can come up with. Remember the Corrolla was and is an affordable entry level auto that's name alone would be purchased for billions by any US auto maker! I love this thread! Can you feel it! Can you feel it!

flipper
03-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Never saw a car without some kind of problem, but it is still fun to make fun of them. :banana:

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 08:48 PM
I agree flipper! We need to kick their arse! Loyalty will only take you so far! If the divorce rate in America isn't proof enough I don't know what is!

Tom023
03-27-2006, 08:56 PM
I love it when a friend of a friend of a friend has a problem with a car and all of a sudden it's common to all of them. Bottom line, warranty cost per unit are much higher for domestics than Toyota and Honda, and past three years in service, they disparity becomes even greater. I wish the domestics would fair better, it would be good for the U.S. overall with 1 in 7 jobs tied to the industry.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 08:59 PM
So a good car is rated by how long the name stays around? Tucker..8p

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:02 PM
No one wants them to go away. Just the opposite. Do a better job. I believe it is the plain and simple fact that the guys that work here (USA) at Honda and Toyota feel they make a better product, support a better product and take ownership of their product. To me this is the only difference other than the fact that just because your last name is ford you have a job! If your last name was Honda and you were some video game playing lackey you would, well I know we have all seen "Gung Ho" so I won't go there!

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
I typed a whole freakin' page for that! C'mon WFT let's play! Just kiddin' I was actually just seeing what kind of mood you were in with the above comments! :D So a good car is rated by how long the name stays around? Tucker..8p

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 09:06 PM
You think the "labor" makes them better/ more reliable because the "builders" respect their product more?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I typed a whole freakin' page for that! C'mon WFT let's play! Just kiddin' I was actually just seeing what kind of mood you were in with the above comments! :D
I see this comment all the time. Why do people say "ABOVE" comments, when everything you just typed is UNDER mine?
I am in "A" mood of sorts. You got somethin' for me myster!?!

Whats the name of that "dirt bike" you want me to ride again..?

03-27-2006, 09:14 PM
YOu guys are still goin on this thread hey? wow, I figured you would have been beatin each other with clubs by now :uglyhamme

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Can I say it? It is not American! You will enjoy both! KTM 300 MXC and an Honda XR400 fairly modified. Fun wheelie's all day and hill climbing machines. The KTM is fast! You can also come down and play on the Valkyrie! I love the smell of rubber pretty much any time of day!
PS. I saw Leroy posting but he must have known better! We almost had him! :wavey:

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:17 PM
UMP we are going to settle this in a very civil manor! In the dirt. He has promised to bring his all American dirt bike and I will run the biggest POS Honda has to offer! :D YOu guys are still goin on this thread hey? wow, I figured you would have been beatin each other with clubs by now :uglyhamme
PS For those of you new to the thread please be advised this is the Debate Club portion of Team Talk. WFT unfortunately drew the "Support our Domestic's" while I, Hoosier Bob so luckily drew the Ace! WFT, I assure you has a garage full of imports! From that little weed eater to that wonderful snow glider! ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 09:20 PM
I love it when a friend of a friend of a friend has a problem with a car and all of a sudden it's common to all of them. Bottom line, warranty cost per unit are much higher for domestics than Toyota and Honda, and past three years in service, they disparity becomes even greater. I wish the domestics would fair better, it would be good for the U.S. overall with 1 in 7 jobs tied to the industry.
If I did not have a leg to stand on I would have shut up a long time ago. Just a few "SMALL" examples in personal experiences. Had a 96 Chevy Blazer 4X4. Bought with 4 miles on it, actually ordered it. Every 3000 miles had the dealer change oil, trans fluid every 25K. One problem in 70K.. I took it in for a recall on the wiper motor at 20K(in which mine did not have a problem)sold it with 70K. Ordered a 1997 E250 5.4L, had one oxygen sensor go out at 50K and sold it at 80K, Ordered a 2002 F250 Crew Cab Pstroke 4X4 picked up with 6 miles on it.. 78K later one problem...had a Cam position sensor go out(normal problem at any mileage as I found out) In this mix I had a '92 Bonneville I bought used for a run around car with 70K, in three years it had 130K on it and one problem had one ignition coil go out at 110K, it still got me home on 4 cyl..Sold it with 130K.
Maybe I am just lucky, but I doubt it. Is it maintenance? I don't know. I just don't have anything to complain about.
ALL my vehicles even the Pstroke got oil and filter at 3K.

Is it me?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 09:23 PM
YOu guys are still goin on this thread hey? wow, I figured you would have been beatin each other with clubs by now :uglyhammeIt's like that hemoroid you just can't get rid of....

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:27 PM
4.3, I would run to the end of the Earth! All of my US products have been extremely reliable. I will say that my inports run as they did at 10k at 100k! My domestics needed much more suspension work and overall fit and finish slipped, hinges, pwr windows/s roofs slowed, and even general cabin noise increased much more on the domestics. There are still a ton of domestics I would love to own. We need to do a better job is my only point.

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:27 PM
I have been called worse! ;) It's like that hemoroid you just can't get rid of....

Tom023
03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
If I did not have a leg to stand on I would have shut up a long time ago. Just a few "SMALL" examples in personal experiences. Had a 96 Chevy Blazer 4X4. Bought with 4 miles on it, actually ordered it. Every 3000 miles had the dealer change oil, trans fluid every 25K. One problem in 70K.. I took it in for a recall on the wiper motor at 20K(in which mine did not have a problem)sold it with 70K. Ordered a 1997 E250 5.4L, had one oxygen sensor go out at 50K and sold it at 80K, Ordered a 2002 F250 Crew Cab Pstroke 4X4 picked up with 6 miles on it.. 78K later one problem...had a Cam position sensor go out(normal problem at any mileage as I found out) In this mix I had a '92 Bonneville I bought used for a run around car with 70K, in three years it had 130K on it and one problem had one ignition coil go out at 110K, it still got me home on 4 cyl..Sold it with 130K.
Maybe I am just lucky, but I doubt it. Is it maintenance? I don't know. I just don't have anything to complain about.

Is it me?

Probably not, I've actually had good luck with the Fords that I had in the past, more squeeks and rattles than I care for, but mechanically never a major problem. That's why it always amazed me when reviewing warranty cost data that the domestics always were magnitudes higher than Toyota and Honda, and why the manufacturers don't rely on a survey of one, there are always good and bad units out there. I do know that Ford, internally, always has been envious of Toyota quality reports.

Edit: Come to think of it, I've had more problems with my Mastercraft than I ever had with a domestic car, yet I wouldn't buy anything else!

03-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Whatch out WFT, I think Hoosier is still planning to Spoon with you. He mentioned that before here. just be careful man..... ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I have been called worse! ;)I was refering to the thread.....:cool: 8p

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Oh it's gonna happen! That or he is swimmin' back! ;) Whatch out WFT, I think Hoosier is still planning to Spoon with you. He mentioned that before here. just be careful man..... ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 09:39 PM
4.3, I would run to the end of the Earth! All of my US products have been extremely reliable. I will say that my inports run as they did at 10k at 100k! My domestics needed much more suspension work and overall fit and finish slipped, hinges, pwr windows/s roofs slowed, and even general cabin noise increased much more on the domestics. There are still a ton of domestics I would love to own. We need to do a better job is my only point.
I took a 4.3 out of a '95 blazer and stuffed it into my Jeep wrangler. I had a 4.3:1 atlas II transfer case, 4.88:1 Axles and a 4L60E tranny. In first gear it would scream, but was required in rock crawling at times. It was IMO the ultimate Jeep engine. And ran perfect all the time. Again, no complaints.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Can I say it? It is not American! You will enjoy both! KTM 300 MXC and an Honda XR400 fairly modified. Fun wheelie's all day and hill climbing machines. The KTM is fast! You can also come down and play on the Valkyrie! I love the smell of rubber pretty much any time of day!
PS. I saw Leroy posting but he must have known better! We almost had him! :wavey:
You would be proud of me. I actually took a second look at the yamaha 50's the other day. They had a 50 2 stroke and a 50 4 stroke side by side. The 4str weighed a ton. I did not and could not bring myself to it, but I looked twice.....;)

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Once again something we agree on but where is the 4.3 now? I5, I6 or what ever they are doing! Cool Jeep!

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:45 PM
The PW? The KTM 50 senior is bad a**! The PW is a blast and ultra reliable. The XR 50 is a blast but the 70 is not much bigger and has more usable power w/o a clutch. How old is Jr?

Leroy
03-27-2006, 09:50 PM
That was true on the corolla when they had zero clearance valve/piston. When the belt broke the pistons kept moving and hit open valves cracking pistons, breaking valves etc. They got over that problem. Many cars had that problem. I can tell you about the value I felt from my Vega vs my first Honda just couple of years apart, or the chevette. THis problem is still on many cars; http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=12021 You must not have changed your oil.....if I hear another stupid response like that I'm just jumping over the counter.....

All cars have problems, the difference is how the car dealers and companies treat their customers. That was in a link I posted earlier aboutToyota customer satisfaction. They have defects, but when you leave the dealer more people feel happier about the situation than when you walk away from F/GM/C. When I have to go to the Lexus dealer there is no other experience that compares, the Honda dealer, you feel like you are dealing with professionals, when I owned my Windstar, I thought I would have a seizure everytime I went there, which was often. It's not that the people were not qualified or good, they seemed handcuffed by some corporate philosophy to piss me off. Again I go back to executive management and the goals they set for everyone. I have the feeling my Honda dealer had the goal of making me happy, I always get a survey that is sent back to corporate asking if I was happy and they always call to make sure I was happy and will turn in a good report card, for the Windstar dealer revenue and repeat business in the service dept seemed to be their goal, and they got me. They never asked if I was happy, I think they could tell not, I never filled out a customer satisfaction card. I'll never buy another Ford. Here was my Windstar experience told by many other people http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_windstar.htm

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Are you speaking of the complimentory HJ? :D Sorry Leroy but I had to! :o
When I have to go to the Lexus dealer there is no other experience that compares,

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, the whole timing belt thing is something you have to deal with on some cars. I forget the name of distinction, but with accords, if that belt goes, you got problems, as opposed to some other cars where, if you lose the belt, the car just stops. When I bought my car, since it had 110k miles on it, and we couldn't tell without taking it apart if it had a new timing belt as it should have gotten at 105k miles, I got it thrown in.

I never really thought of myself as antidomestic. I really saw it as having bad experiences with a couple of brands of domestic cars versus really good experiences with honda. Seemed like a really easy and logical choice for me to get another one. And the way this one has shaped up so far, it won't be my last. But I don't really have an agenda when it comes to cars. It's not as if I'm trying to talk someone else into one.

Plus, reading the article that kicked off this thread, I find it pretty great that they caught this problem before many of the vehicles were even sold. Compared to the cruise control switch on my expedition where a couple had to go up in flames before anything was done about it (which didn't include mine initially even though there was apparently a problem). Man, it hacks me off just to think of the number crunching. :rant:

This whole thing has just made me love that accord that much more. I'm glad it was posted.

Toyota Corrolla.... Its a common problem you would come to find out about AFTER you get sucked into buying one..:o .. If you get past the $1500.00 repair when the timing belt blows, which apparently is also NORMAL. Oh, and the coolant that looks like BLOOD when it gets few thousand miles on it. I guess those people that think they are reliable take those repairs as just the norm.... I don't get it.
I know it has nothing to do with Honda.... But neither does most of the other stuff that come up here so far.

On the flip side..
I was surprised to see 74% of the ISUZU pickup truck was US/Mexico parts. I wonder if the diehard anti-domestic brand loyalists buy isuzu because they are domestic, or because the name makes you think it is foreign. I will have to think about that one for awhile.
Same with Honda I guess, since I keep hearing about how unrealiable some think domestics are, and how reliable imports are but are built domestically with domestic parts.
The clearer it becomes the fuzzier it gets.:confused:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Once again something we agree on but where is the 4.3 now? I5, I6 or what ever they are doing! Cool Jeep! It was the ultimate Jeep. Too bad I get bored with stuff REALLY easy.
I hear ya on the I5. Some technology just comes before its due.:o

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:00 PM
When I have to go to the Lexus dealer there is no other experience that compares,
I have found they do have some nice looking women shopping there. And some working too. Do they use that as a strategy to get me in the door. I do window shop for eye candy... I do love Hooters...and the restaurant too.

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I took a 4.3 out of a '95 blazer and stuffed it into my Jeep wrangler. I had a 4.3:1 atlas II transfer case, 4.88:1 Axles and a 4L60E tranny. In first gear it would scream, but was required in rock crawling at times. It was IMO the ultimate Jeep engine. And ran perfect all the time. Again, no complaints.

You mean my AMC/Dodge 360 with a motorcraft 2 barrel wasn't the ultimate engine? :(

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:02 PM
You mean my AMC/Dodge 360 with a motorcraft 2 barrel wasn't the ultimate engine? :(
Not in a Jeep Wrangler... Maybe in A VW beetle...;)

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:03 PM
;) ;) Take The Test Drive!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:03 PM
;) ;) Take The Test Drive!
In what??????

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Talk about junk in the trunk. Going downhill, I could almost get 11 mpg out of that bad boy.

Leroy
03-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Well I never thought about that, ;) but there are some beautiful ladies there!

Hey Bob; The Lexus board I visit has Team Late Night TLN with members numbers, I think your chance to be TTLN #1, I think you are definitely in the running for that! What do you think?

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I would have to say the early 360 left me wanting much more! I can't remember who it was but CJ 5 I6 258 is an awesome power plant! 304 is very AMC and nice as well. I love I6's and with the exception of the 300 ford the 258 was as sweet as they came (ok, I had an Iron Horse in an old Nova with a P-glide that was cool! Shut up WFT!)!

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:08 PM
I don't know what you are saying but I been lik'n TT's for as long as I can remember! :D If that makes me number 1 I accept! 8p Well I never thought about that, ;) but there are some beautiful ladies there!

Hey Bob; The Lexus board I visit has Team Late Night TLN with members numbers, I think your chance to be TTLN #1, I think you are definitely in the running for that! What do you think?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:08 PM
I would have to say the early 360 left me wanting much more! I can't remember who it was but CJ 5 I6 258 is an awesome power plant! 304 is very AMC and nice as well. I love I6's and with the exception of the 300 ford the 258 was as sweet as they came!
My first Jeep had the 304, good for rammin the nose into whatever I wanted to go over....Second had the 258, needed more power. Then the 3rd had a 258 but was immediately removed for the 4.3. No comparison. That injected 4.3 was perfect.

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Good points WFT! I don't have enough experience! I will say I never met a 4.3 I didn't like!

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I would have to say the early 360 left me wanting much more! I can't remember who it was but CJ 5 I6 258 is an awesome power plant! 304 is very AMC and nice as well. I love I6's and with the exception of the 300 ford the 258 was as sweet as they came (ok, I had an Iron Horse in an old Nova with a P-glide that was cool! Shut up WFT!)!

If you think it left you wanting more in the CJ, try having it (at 20 years old (the engine not the driver)) push an SJ at 6,200 lbs.

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
8p You put it in a Mercedes?

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Picture added above for your enjoyment. That was Matilda. Sort of like a Mercedes, but classier (see wood paneling). She was a lot of fun and a car I knew I'd be paying to drive even though I paid cash. I've heard of guys dropping Caddy engines into those old jeeps. Wish I still had the picture of one pulling a tractor-trailer out of the mud.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Good points WFT! I don't have enough experience! I will say I never met a 4.3 I didn't like!
And they fit nicely too....:D (I couldn't find a "completed" project picture, this was still testing phase during the buildup, my wires were hidden shortly thereafter)

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
OK WFT spill it! What do you do that you can spend time creating projects like that and maintain enough to actually get bored with! You are gonna have to take my dumbarse riding! What no reply to the spooning comment?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:24 PM
WFT, I assure you has a garage full of imports! From that little weed eater to that wonderful snow glider! ;)

Just noticed I missed this one.:o I have a Honda lawnmower, a Honda Snowblower, and a John Deere weed eater. Does this mean I wouldn't buy a domestic. HE!! NO, I have yet to find one.:(

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:26 PM
You need to read faster! I don't want to say it but I would pay for this kind of fun every night! OK so I do occasionally but this is fun!

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
So WFT does that mean you missed post 200? I am hurt! :friday:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
OK WFT spill it! What do you do that you can spend time creating projects like that and maintain enough to actually get bored with! You are gonna have to take my dumbarse riding! What no reply to the spooning comment?
Right, NO REPLY!
It took two attempts for me to get it right. I put the motor and NP231 and 4L60E in it. After exploding axle shafts, driveshafts, and u joints everytime I took it out. I completely disassembled the Jeep. I had a Dana 44 High pinion built for the front with 4.88's and detroit locker and yukon axle shafts, and Manual hubs. The rear I built a Ford 9" with detroit locker and 4.88s and of course again High pinion with strange axles and 4 wheel disc brakes. Then I put in the Atlas II and strapped it to the 4L60E. Had Woody's driveshafts built. Had a full roll cage built with 5 point harnesses, installed a full assortment of Autometer gauges, bushwacker flares, Centerline wheels, 35" Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips, and for the heck of it put in a AGR steering box and pump along with a hydraulic assist steering set up. Built custom steering system using QA1 spherical rod ends a 1 1/2" tube on a high steer set up from Dynatrac.

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
You call that an answer?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:41 PM
You call that an answer?
What else you wanna know. It had a spare tire carrier built for my "new" 5 on 5 1/2" wheel bolt pattern, housed a Hi-Lift jack. Had All LED lights(except for headlights) a CB built into the roll cage at the roof for easy access, a K40 antennae, a Bestop top and Bestop soft doors, Be cool aluminum radiator, Spal cooling fan, custom built aluminum vacuum canister and overflow tank, Bilstein 7100 remote reservoir shocks(custom built to my specs), Earl's fuel, brake, & trans lines all around, K&N filter,
oh and one child seat in the back....

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:43 PM
What about the spooning? Now my feelings are hurt! Where did Leroy go! One spooning comment sure can ruin a thread! So are you swimmin? ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:48 PM
What about the spooning? Now my feelings are hurt! Where did Leroy go! One spooning comment sure can ruin a thread! So are you swimmin? ;)
Swimmin'!!!8p

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
That was my choice Charlie! You may now have the Chocolate factory!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Whatch out WFT, I think Hoosier is still planning to Spoon with you. He mentioned that before here. just be careful man..... ;)
Please explain the conversation you had with HB behind closed doors. Exclude ALL comments about the YOGA!!!

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I told you post 200! Oh yeah and the fact that I compared you to a rottwieler! Anyway thanks for the help on the Muscle Car thread!

Leroy
03-27-2006, 11:00 PM
That's a lot of parts....where did you ride it?

What else you wanna know. It had a spare tire carrier built for my "new" 5 on 5 1/2" wheel bolt pattern, housed a Hi-Lift jack. Had All LED lights(except for headlights) a CB built into the roll cage at the roof for easy access, a K40 antennae, a Bestop top and Bestop soft doors, Be cool aluminum radiator, Spal cooling fan, custom built aluminum vacuum canister and overflow tank, Bilstein 7100 remote reservoir shocks(custom built to my specs), Earl's fuel, brake, & trans lines all around, K&N filter,
oh and one child seat in the back....

Workin' 4 Toys
03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
That's a lot of parts....where did you ride it?
Parts and 2 years labor. Well 6 months the first build, 1 1/2 the second time around.
Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan, Attica Indiana, and Marceilles(Spell check) Il. And some on the street to the local car/truck gatherings. Got about 18 mpg on the highway and 18GPD in the mud, sand, & rocks...:D

Hoosier Bob
03-27-2006, 11:12 PM
I am blind and out!!!

03-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Please explain the conversation you had with HB behind closed doors. Exclude ALL comments about the YOGA!!!

It was when you guys were aruguing about the imports vs domestics, and I was joking about you guys fighting and saying this thread was getting like professional wrestling, I said that I was waiting for someone to hit someone over the head with a steel chair :popcorn: , and HB piped up and said he would only be wrestling you to the ground to spoon a while. :uglyhamme

HB is a prize, isnt he? :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I am blind and out!!!
UMP190- This post says it all.....

03-28-2006, 08:49 AM
I have been trying to figure him out, and I have come to the conclusion that HB would would have put Freud in the funny farm. :)

BrianM
03-28-2006, 09:58 AM

Is it me?

Getting to this thread late but wanted to respond. Foreign or domestic doesn't make a difference to me. I buy what fits my budget and my needs. I think W4T hit the nail on the head. Routine maintenance and general car care make all the difference. I take great care of my cars and have regular maintenance done and generally have no problems with my vehicles. My Dad is the same way. My inlaws on the other hand are the opposite. They change the oil when they think about it (which is rare) never rotate tires, rarely wash them, do brakes when they are grinding, drive them hard, etc and then wonder why they have problems. They have a Toyota Camry with about 70k on it and have had quite a few issues that I just generally chock up to poor maintenance and general care. The car looks and drives like it has 150k miles on it. My '03 GMC truck has 78k on it and I had one small issue during the warranty period (failed fuel tank sending unit) and the recal on the tailgate supports which was nothing. My truck looks and drives like the day I bought it with 12 miles.

In the past 7 years between my wife and I we have had '99 Civic SI bought new sold with 57k not one issue, '00 Nissan Sentra bought new sold with 35k cam shaft sensor went out and left me stranded on a 24 mile long bridge with no emergency lane. I couldn't forgive the car for that so I traded it for an '01 Honda Civic LX bought new traded it at 65k not one issue. '03 GMC truck with 78k as mentioned above and an '05 Subaru with 37k and not one issue.

My dad had a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee that got slammed in various reviews for reliability issues. He put 185k on it over 10 years and never had any problems with it until ithad about 120k on it. Over the next 65k he had a few things here and ther but nothing major and he used that vehicle. Did a lot of true 4x4 off roading, regurally towed long distances and a daily driver. Again regular maintenance and care I think was the key.

Generally my philosophy is take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

Leroy
03-28-2006, 10:21 AM
With cars today it is about percent of cars that have problems and all of the manufacturers have made great gains. Aside from specific problems with specific cars I think most GM/F cars are ~80% no significant problems and Honda/Toyota are around 90-95% no significant problems. There are a lot of owners that will never have any problems with any car today.

I happened to pick Ford Windstar van which had a design flaw. What got me at the time was the badgering from the Ford dealer on what I did wrong, same message from people in this link. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_windstar.htm

I also agree service plays a key role, but no amount of service would have helped my Windstar.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-28-2006, 10:27 AM
I can add to the maintenance tips. I talk to a guy regularly that bought a new Chevy malibu last year. He drives about 1/2 as much as I do. Bought the car drove it without EVER opening the hood, not once. He has ZERO mechanical ability. I am surprised he knows how to tie his shoes.(oh wait he wears loafers, doesn't have to do that either) Anyway, brought his car in for his FIRST oil change with 18,000 miles on it. Intends to do about the same the next time around if he thinks of it. (he actually finds it funny)

On the flip side, I know someone with an '01 expedition. Had the engine replaced after one year. It locked up. Now was he expected to know he ran it out of oil, or should an idiot light have come on before that happened. Was it buring oil, or did it leak out, or did the "quickie lube" not fill it all the way or if at all? We may never know.
Check, check, double check.....

east tx skier
03-28-2006, 10:31 AM
This is the part where I mention that on that mustang, I had the oil changed by our long time mechanic every 1,800 miles. Outside of warranty, the Honda requires changes every 7,000 miles. I do it a favor and get it done every 3k.

BrianM
03-28-2006, 10:37 AM
I do my oil changes at 5k. Manual for the Subaru and the GMC both say 7500 (the boat gets changed every 50 hours). That seems a bit long to me but from what I read 3k especially with the driving I do (mostly highway) is overkill and kind of a waste of money and natural resources. I rotate tires every other change and keep an eye and ear on things.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-29-2006, 03:54 PM
I do my oil changes at 5k. Manual for the Subaru and the GMC both say 7500 (the boat gets changed every 50 hours). That seems a bit long to me but from what I read 3k especially with the driving I do (mostly highway) is overkill and kind of a waste of money and natural resources. I rotate tires every other change and keep an eye and ear on things.
I'd go to 7500 if I switched to Amsoil.....:rolleyes:

redmike
03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
ok wft, got a new rental yesterday, on your word, got an 06 impala ltz, fully loaded, so far, it is not a bad car, will see. If it breaks down, I will expect you to come rescue me.....jk!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2006, 08:59 AM
ok wft, got a new rental yesterday, on your word, got an 06 impala ltz, fully loaded, so far, it is not a bad car, will see. If it breaks down, I will expect you to come rescue me.....jk!
I am sure that is a decent car, I have not driven or looked into the new ones. If you are talking about the car mentioned early on in this thread, we were talking about what would I buy with 100K on it. This is the Impala I was talking about...

redmike
03-30-2006, 03:58 PM
I know man, I was just messing with you! it is a nice car, not great, but nice, ride is a little too cooshy for me, and the seat is like sitting on a sofa no side support at all. But I wil agree the last of the rear wheel drive impalas were good looking rides!