PDA

View Full Version : Yoga

richardsoncd
03-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Anyone here ever do yoga? My lower back gets worse and worse, and I really think it is from sitting in a chair behind my desk dailey. When I am on vacation for a few days it starts to get better. A girl I know recommended yoga....anyone ever tried it? I figure if my back is more flexible I might not get as sore skiing.

east tx skier
03-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Check out this thread.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7589&highlight=yoga

richardsoncd
03-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks Tex....probably should have searched YOGA, guess I figured no one had done it.

east tx skier
03-23-2006, 10:53 AM
To date, that's the only thread I remember seeing on the subject. For flexibility, it's my opinion that it's a great thing.

Byrdman
03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Have you ever seen the Jacka$$ episode when Johnny Knoxville goes to the Yoga class? I hope that does not happen in your class....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Anyone here ever do yoga? My lower back gets worse and worse, and I really think it is from sitting in a chair behind my desk dailey. When I am on vacation for a few days it starts to get better. A girl I know recommended yoga....anyone ever tried it? I figure if my back is more flexible I might not get as sore skiing.

Dude, I am taking Yoga classes now. I like them. I am starting to notice a bit of strength and definately more flexability from it. I walk taller and straighter, it improves my posture. I like the relaxation part most. My brain needs relaxed more than my muscles need stretched cuz I stretch and excercise at the gym regularly anyway. but yes, it targets different muscles, and the stretching is great! I would definetly try it. there are several poses that focus on back muscles. If your back is hurting you, you could also benefit alot from excercising on a roman chair. I do that too, and it terrific for my lower back. But before you do that, you should consult with a physical therapist or trainer or doctor or something if your already having back pain. I dont want to advise you to do something that could make it worse. So check into it with your doctor first. I just notice that the stretching is very good though. If you strengthen your abs, that helps your back too. Strong abs tie all your core muscles together and help out your lower back.

and beware, if you talk about Yoga around this crowd, the jokes are gonna fly!!!! They roasted me when I started my thread......course they like to roast me for just about any reason :D :uglyhamme

richardsoncd
03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't mind getting ragged on...if doing yoga means I get more sets in with no pain and minimal soreness I'll deal with it.

Leroy
03-23-2006, 12:16 PM
OMG! :eek: I can't believe this thread after all the stuff in UMP's Yoga thread!

TO your question, probably more than will admit. My brother in law who is 6' 7" had a bad back. He started yoga 2-3 years ago and he has not had any pain or problems since. He speaks very highly of it.

03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
OMG! :eek: I can't believe this thread after all the stuff in UMP's Yoga thread!

TO your question, probably more than will admit. My brother in law who is 6' 7" had a bad back. He started yoga 2-3 years ago and he has not had any pain or problems since. He speaks very highly of it.

Of course he speaks "highly" of it, he's 6 foot 7!!!! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme WOOO HOOO!! you walked right into that one Leroy!!!

_DiZZ_
03-23-2006, 02:34 PM
I just started... Had my third class yesterday. Just let the instructor know your limitations... some will give you other exercises that will help that target area. :worthy:

LakePirate
03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
This is not meant as a joke.

Don't drink so much beer.

You are less active when you get that desk job than you were in college.

My back takes a beating because I will not listen to my on advice.

richardsoncd
03-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Heard that....I limit it to Thurs-Sun, when possible.

LakePirate
03-23-2006, 02:50 PM
I am assuming that you are having lower back pain so I will offer you this tip

If you think it is your chair at work that is causing it, lie on you back on the office floor with you feet up in the chair this should take the pressure off of you lower back and offer some relief. If the boss man sees this a couple of times you could even get a new chair....Hey it worked for me.

03-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Very inventive way of getting a new chair. Your a genius Lakey! Thats why your my campaign manager!!! :D

LakePirate
03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Very inventive way of getting a new chair. Your a genius Lakey! Thats why your my campaign manager!!! :D

Do what I can to try and help out.