PDA

View Full Version : Good to see Texas working on real problems

Tom023
03-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Texas arresting people in bars for being drunk

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

88 PS190
03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
people get drunk in bars these days? what are they thinking.

X-45
03-22-2006, 09:01 PM
It's just not safe to go out anymore.

:uglyhamme

ski36short
03-22-2006, 10:06 PM
I didn't think Texans would put up with such gestapo crap...

Leroy
03-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised those boys didn't pull out the guns and start firing.

LakePirate
03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Somebody should call Ron White

michael freeman
03-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised those boys didn't pull out the guns and start firing.

Not allowed to take your gun in a place that makes more then 51% of it's income from alcohol. ;) :D

richardsoncd
03-23-2006, 09:22 AM
In Texas????? That would have been the last state I would have figured. I would imagine the alchohol industry would try to fight this one.

richardsoncd
03-23-2006, 10:38 AM
One question for anyone who knows:

If bar is a privately owned establishment and there are requirements (age) to get in, then how is it PUBLIC intoxication? I understand if you walk out of the bar, but not IN the bar!!! That sucks.

Ric
03-23-2006, 11:18 AM
sounds like a hoax?

entrapment?

Eastie?

Texas arresting people in bars for being drunk

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

east tx skier
03-23-2006, 11:35 AM
No comment on entrapment.

Had I written this article, I might have begun by writing,

"Having solved all of the rest of the State's problems, 'Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk.'"

Ric
03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Tom, did this come to you via email or did you actually pull the quote from a reuters article?

Tom023
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Reuters article on Yahoo news.

jraben8
03-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Sounds like the state government needs some additional income...

Ric
03-23-2006, 11:57 AM
last time I got that way(ok it was a long time ago), all they did was shake me while my buddy was getting a table dance and my head was on the bar and they said "sir, you cannot sleep here" Now they've resorted to THIS!?

Tom023
03-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Sounds like the state government needs some additional income...

It does, that's why they are also in the process of trying to sell highways to a group of foreign investors (Spanish) for several billion $$ to run them as toll roads. I think Indiana is trying the same thing with the same group.

jraben8
03-23-2006, 12:00 PM
It does, that's why they are also in the process of trying to sell highways to a group of foreign investors (Spanish) for several billion $$ to run them as toll roads. I think Indiana is trying the same thing with the same group.

Yea, I've got one of those too about 3 miles from my house. 1 of 2 ways in and out of the area... Thank goodness it won't be a complete highway for about 6-8 years.

tex
03-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I'll show them. I'll get drunk at the airport tonight!

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-23-2006, 01:56 PM
I heard on the radio this morning, but can't vouche for the DJ's accuracy, that some of the "bars" they targeted were hotel bars. So, don't even think about getting drunk and then walking up to your hotel room! :confused:

jraben8
03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Silly me... I thought that was the beautiful thing about staying at a hotel.

AirJunky
03-23-2006, 02:18 PM
So next thing you know you won't be able to get drunk in the hotel room either. Or at home!! Their all public to some extent. What a crock.

LakePirate
03-23-2006, 02:59 PM
last time I got that way(ok it was a long time ago), all they did was shake me while my buddy was getting a table dance and my head was on the bar and they said "sir, you cannot sleep here" Now they've resorted to THIS!?

I thought I was the only one who had done that.

Amazingly they said the same thing to me.