PDA

View Full Version : Another heater Y-adapter thread...

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey all,
I was searching the forum for Y adapter install tips, but the most promising thread's pictures aren't showing up for me.

Here is the thread. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2532&highlight=Heat)

From the thread:

"I am going to put mine between the water pickup grate and the raw water pump (the one with the impeller in it)...The Y faces back towards the water pickup grate."

and...

"The Y adapter replaces the hose normally on the water pump."

Can someone confirm these are accurate?

Thanks all!

AirJunky
03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
"The Y adapter replaces the hose normally on the water pump."

True. I specifically removed the hose from my water pump, plugged it, and installed the Y with the outlet hose installed here. This forces the raw water pump to pull the water thru the core at a higher rate than the engine water pump is capable of doing.
Touch base with the guys at Heatercraft if you like. They were a big help for me.

VTJC
03-22-2006, 10:31 PM
The Y pipe is installed between the Raw Water pump and the water intake, with the Y pointing towards the intake. It does replace the hone normally connected to the engine water pump. I found it really improved my heat at idle. Jamie

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. I will do the install tonight.

When I water tested the ballast system on Sunday, I also tested the heat and got none. The boat had been running for approximately 30mins. However, I never left dock or spooled the RPMs up past ~1000-1200. Hopefully the Y adapter will do the trick.

Thanks again.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Shees...

A buddy (who runs another make!) actually found... this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6211&page=1&pp=10&highlight=idle+adapter) that shows where many of you had a detailed discussion on this.

My bad for not finding it. :o

Kell
03-23-2006, 02:48 PM
There used to be instructions on how to install the Y-adapter on another website f/k/a MBO complete with pictures, but I can't seem to find it. However, I did find the attached in a thread. Member states that he got this attachment directly from the manufacturer, Heatercraft. Hope it helps.

Kell
05-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Well I went to install the low rpm heater adapter (Y-adapter) this evening and it all went to hell right from the beginning. Lesson learned if its not broke don't mess with it.

So I disconnect the heater return hose from the circulation pump and next step is to remove the remaining brass barb. So I slip a wrench on the barb fitting and there is very little room. It barely fits, and being brass and a soft material I didn't want to crush the fitting. So I tried some sockets but they would not fit between the brass fitting and the cast part of the circulation pump Why wouldn't they leave enough room to get a wrench or socket on there?

Anyway, put the wrench on as best as I could and gave it a go. Well the brass fitting is now an oval and I can't shake it loose. Tried PB Blaster (penetration oil) and heating it up with a torch .... nothing will break it loose. Now that the brass fitting is an oval I can't even put it back together and scrap the project.

To make matters worse...yes, it gets worse. In an attempt to get a better grip on the brass fitting I loosend up the s-belt by removing the "spring" loaded pulley tightner and all of a sudden a 1/4" chunk of my lower alternator bracket falls in the bilge. So I loosen the alternator bolts from the bracket to inspect closer and lose my grip on the alternator and it falls several inches before I am able to grab it again, but in doing so, two wire connectors break that attached to the alternator. :cry:

So, at this point Iím frustrated as he**. One project has now turned into several more projects, e.g., repairing the alternator wire connectors, reloading the s-belt spring tensioner, figuring out how to remove that brass fitting in the water pump without screwing anything else up.

Saturday I was going to start the install for my zero flex tower, but I think I'll hold off for the moment as bad karma is hangin with me.

Here is a pic of my mess!

So, any ideas on what I should try to get out that brass fitting? I'm also not sure how to put the s-belt back on with the spring loaded tensioner, that thing has some serious resistance, so help with that would also be appreciated. You gotta love working on a V-drive, my back will be sore on Saturday from all the contorsions. Thanks in advance.