PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

ski_king
03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
What cell phone do you have and what carrier?

List likes and dislikes of your phone and carrier.

east tx skier
03-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Samsung. Service through Sprint. Lots of dropped calls and dead spots, but can anyone say he's never had a dropped call. I like the phone, but after dropping it a couple of times, the battery tends to come loose shutting the phone off if I flip it closed too hard.

I see cell phones as a necessary evil these days. So I don't get too fancy with 'em.

#47of100TeamMC
03-22-2006, 02:35 PM
T-Mobile, had them for 2 years. Good service have a samsung E(something) flip camera phone. Nice, plenty of features. battery life sucks now, I'm looking at the T809 slider phone from Samsung. I kind of want to get the bluetooth for use in the vehicle and with the computer.

T-Mobile is getting better and better, (as are most carriers I guess) Nationwide no roaming. was in Hawaii a few summers back after I got the plan and it was crystal clear and covered in the plan.

ski_king
03-22-2006, 02:37 PM
I have a LG VX8100 and use Verizon Wireless.

So far I like the phone and its features although it is not perfect. It does have MP3 function, but it is a battery hog in that mode.

Verizon Wireless is my carrier unfortunatly reception is poor at both my home and camp, but they have the best coverage in this area.

We have the family plan with 4 phones.

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/lg/lg_vx8100.jpg

bcampbe7
03-22-2006, 02:40 PM
I have a Kyocera Slider (SE44) from Verizon.
I hate this phone.
My wife just got a Motorola E810 or something like that. It has been a great phone so far.

PendO
03-22-2006, 02:41 PM
this is the phone w/ verizon Motorola E815

PendO
03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
here is the bluetooth earpiece I use Motorola HS850

#47of100TeamMC
03-22-2006, 02:45 PM
...Can you hear me now?

mitch
03-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Love LG phones. Here's a little trick that forces the phone into analog mode. This is the only mode that works at my camp. Unfortunantly the new phones will go after 1 bar digital vs. 4-5 bars analog. Here;s the procdure- hit menu key, and then hit 0 (back door code) phone will display 'service code' and 6 question marks. hit zero six times as that's the service code password, and then step down to 'force mode' (#3 on my LG) and hit OK, then select analog only and hit OK. Works like a charm for me. Phone reverts back to 'automatic' when you power off/on the phone *or* you can run thru the menu fuctions and select automatic and hit OK. try it!

I have a LG VX8100 and use Verizon Wireless.

So far I like the phone and its features although it is not perfect. It does have MP3 function, but it is a battery hog in that mode.

Verizon Wireless is my carrier unfortunatly reception is poor at both my home and camp, but they have the best coverage in this area.

We have the family plan with 4 phones.

milkmania
03-22-2006, 02:49 PM
...Can you hear me now?

Hellomoto!!!

two Motorola V400 camera phones with Cingular service
very few dropped calls, decent coverage area, nationwide calling

my son's got the V500, and the only difference I see it that his will record video

bcampbe7
03-22-2006, 02:50 PM
this is the phone w/ verizon Motorola E815

That's it Pendo...

BrianM
03-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Treo 600 with Sprint

Been pretty happy with Sprint service and can't imagine not having the Palm, Web and phone in one. The only thing is I wish it was able to analog roam. The Treo is all digital and there are times that I would like to be able to force to analog. The other bummer is that cell cervice at my house is terrible at best but that is with all carriers and all phones. Go down the street a few blocks and no problems

AirJunky
03-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Verizon & a Motorola flip phone. The Motorola appears to be good for about 1 yr. This one isn't far from being replaced. But Verizon has great coverage here due to all the money that McCaw Cellular & AirTouch dumped into cell towers in the Pacific NW. We even get coverage when riding dirt bikes in the mountains, skiing on just about any area lake or skiing at any of the snowski areas in the region.
Cingular/AT&T blows here......huge dead areas right on the I-90 corridor.
It really depends on the area your in as to what service works best.

milkmania
03-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Love LG phones. Here's a little trick that forces the phone into analog mode. This is the only mode that works at my camp. Unfortunantly the new phones will go after 1 bar digital vs. 4-5 bars analog. Here;s the procdure- hit menu key, and then hit 0 (back door code) phone will display 'service code' and 6 question marks. hit zero six times as that's the service code password, and then step down to 'force mode' (#3 on my LG) and hit OK, then select analog only and hit OK. Works like a charm for me. Phone reverts back to 'automatic' when you power off/on the phone *or* you can run thru the menu fuctions and select automatic and hit OK. try it!

There's a old contractor in my area that's still got his true to form bag phone!!!! battery pack in bag & all!
he's made sure not to let any service lapse, becuase they are constantly badgering him to switch to digital.
He refuses to switch, because his phone has (I think) 4 full watts of power and the little digitals we use these days only have a portion of a single watt
or something like that.

like this:
http://www.privateline.com/war/Motorolabagsmall.jpg

http://antennaguy.com/Images-BagPhone/BagPhone-137.jpg

redmike
03-22-2006, 03:01 PM
verizon with an lg non camera phone, can't have a camera at work, and verizon is the only carrrier in my area that has coverage worth a darn; problem is if we are out, everybody has to burn my minutes to make thier calls cause their phones don't work!!!

School Skier
03-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Cingular and a Nokia phone with no bells and whistles.

gene dobies
03-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Dont have one and wouldn't own one.

jrcarte78
03-22-2006, 03:11 PM
I have Cingular service w/ an LG phone. No complaints. Like ETS said--it's a necessary evil these days so I tend not to get too fancy.

richardsoncd
03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
T-Mobile, decent coverage....no service "off the beaten path", Cingular has the best range around here. But good customer service and competitive pricing.

Phone is a Motorola flip. Battery lasts about 3-4 days which isn't bad with a flip phone.

milkmania
03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
can't have a camera at work

security & clearance issues?

they don't want you taking pictures of the red button labeled Missle Launch?

lol

brianaw26
03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Verizon wireless. "Its the Network" LG 8100. I work for them. :D

Leroy
03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Basic non-flip nokia for me with Sprint service for >2 years now. I've been very happy with the service and phone. Charge up on Friday will last until Monday, just barely.

Family has 3 flip picture phones on Verizon. Seems to work well for them.

redmike
03-22-2006, 03:33 PM
security & clearance issues?

they don't want you taking pictures of the red button labeled Missle Launch?

lol
well milk, yes, and now that I have told you, my people will have to meet you. seriously, work around classified cr*p sometimes, and management decided for security reasons, no cameras years ago. It is getting tough to find a phone with no camera on it though....

sberry3827
03-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Nextel/Motorola

I cant think of one thing I like about either. O wait, there is one good thing, my contract is up soon.

east tx skier
03-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Dont have one and wouldn't own one.

I wish I could pull this off. I've been threatening to ditch mine for years. But with the kid I sort of feel the need to keep it.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
I had an old style bag phone for years. then I canned it. Got along "ok" without it.....but there were times I felt I "needed" one. I considered many plans, and the tracphone thing too. I coudlnt bring myself to pay $45 a month for a phone for the little I really use it. I finally decided on Alltel's prepaid service by the minute. See I hardly ever use a cell phone, only to line up skiers,drivers, spotters, if I am away from work or home, or if I am in need of help or something. Or if I am on a trip. So not that often. so for me, that plan was tailor made. No monthly bills, no contract, only pre pay for the minutes I use, and the minutes DO NOT expire! I bought 500 minutes and it will take me a long time to use them. 15 cents a minute, $50 for the Motorola V262 phone and I am stylin!!! I like it so far. it serves the purpose for not much money at all. I have an inner cheapskate that just loves to save money on stuff like that so I can spend it on guitars and skis!!! :banana:

sassydog
03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
as a carpenter, i use the nextel two way constantly. And although their customer service is godawful, my phone is a tank. it gets beaten up daily and i once dropped it from 25' in the air onto a concrete slab and it works swimmingly. i used to have verizon and i currently hate them. for fun my friends would call me from the same room or the back seat of teh car we were both in, cause i never received those calls and they knew it woudl piss me off.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I have a lineup of motorolas but my current model in use today is the I850 with Nextel. Minimal problems with all the phones. I think I have been with them for 10 years now.
I will probably switch over to cingular soon, they seem to have the best coverage in the areas we travel most.

TMCNo1
03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Nokia/Verizon

88 PS190
03-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Samsung A870 w/ verizon service.

I'll say this, verizon has a sucky dl service for ringers, and such pain in the but, but they OWN the highways, I almost never have bad signal on the road, which is probably where its most important.

Service at my house sucks, but stuckoo has wiremesh, which is great at blocking radiosignals... so i don't blame the phone or verizon

_DiZZ_
03-22-2006, 07:53 PM
i have a Blackberry 7290 on cingular. Sevice get sketchy in the rual areas... but i dont really care... its really nice not to have the thing ring for a while :uglyhamme

oldschool84
03-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Nextel service and 870 flip phone Nextel is about the best around here in the city :rant:

_DiZZ_
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
While we are on the subject of Cell Phones; whats your highest phone bill.

Mine was 2500 dollars last month :eek: Thats right 2500. :cry:

Bobby
03-22-2006, 08:32 PM
i still have a motorola V400. they are crap but ive rigged mine to work until I am "available for an upgrade" in May. Those phones seriously suck.

NeilM
03-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Treo 650 on Rogers network (GSM/GPRS).

Best quality cell phone (crystal clear, great coverage) I've ever owned, but the Palm OS sucks for all of the other things it does.

My biggest bill is 'only' $1100 -- most of that was data, not voice.

PendO
03-22-2006, 09:07 PM

you win man ... W T F ... get one of those cricket phones;)

erkoehler
03-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Verizon Wireless, and I change phones to often to care about what is good or bad.

erkoehler
03-22-2006, 09:20 PM

Better hope the company pays that bill :eek:

bcampbe7
03-22-2006, 09:43 PM

Holy chit!
Were you on the phone 24/7?!?

milkmania
03-23-2006, 09:20 AM
forgot to mention my phone's camera sucks!:rant::rant::rant:

but, it does better when I clean the lens with a Qtip:o

milkmania
03-23-2006, 09:25 AM
I wish I could pull this off. I've been threatening to ditch mine for years. But with the kid I sort of feel the need to keep it.

you can't imagine how many times I've put the truck window down with intentions of pitching it out:rant:

ski_king
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
forgot to mention my phone's camera sucks!:rant::rant::rant:

but, it does better when I clean the lens with a Qtip:o
I have never seen a phone that took a great picture. Its just nice to have it handy should something come up you want to take a quick photo that dosnt need great quality.

Under the right conditions, mine takes "decent" pictures. These were taken on a very overcast day and didn't turn out too bad.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=3125&stc=1

_DiZZ_
03-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Better hope the company pays that bill :eek:

they did... I was traveling for two weeks and they had me on a local plan... So i was roaming for two weeks 8p

erkoehler
03-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Um, I put mine in the washing machine last night by accident.

ski_king
03-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Um, I put mine in the washing machine last night by accident.
I have heard this before. If you take out the battery, open it and put it key side down and let it dry a few days, there is a chance (slim) it may work again.

Edit/
A friend dropped his off the dock into 2 feet of water and got it out in a matter of seconds and was able to save it.
If your went thru a complete wash cycle, I bet it is junk.

milkmania
03-23-2006, 07:46 PM
If your went thru a complete wash cycle, I bet it is junk.

but, also the cleanest it's been since ya had it:rolleyes:

vegashomeexpert
03-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Motorola V551 and Cingular. Cingular has the best service out on Lake Mead but is spotty at my house. The phone has been in the lake as I was dumped off the pier once. Immediatly took it out, removed the battery, and let it sit there til we loaded up. Let sit overnight and the next day. Works great but time for a new phone...

MarkP
03-25-2006, 08:09 PM
What cell phone do you have and what carrier?

List likes and dislikes of your phone and carrier.
Likes and dislikes, and donít cares.

I like that I can use it to make a phone call. Donít like that at a lot of lakes the coverage is poor. Donít care that it has the ability to take a really bad photo.

I forget who made/makes the phone but its Verizon.

Footin
03-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Cingular and Motorola world phone. Works pretty good here and very good in Europe and Asia.