PDA

View Full Version : How about this used Suzuki ATV?

mitch
03-22-2006, 09:42 AM
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/143847313.html

Guy sent me a note, extremely well maintained, needs nothing. What do you think? What should I look for? I know nuthin' Thanks much!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-22-2006, 10:00 AM
A 250 cc 1992 for $2000.
Are you set on the size or brand?

2005 300cc (http://adcache.atvtraderonline.com/5/7/8/83255078.htm) for $4200

mitch
03-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I have a $2K ceiling, (previously allocated for a sled, but switched priorities) 4x4 and plow would be nice, as I could clear the driveway at the lakehouse, and with a winch it would assist in clearing some trees on the back lot. And 4x2 mode should let me buzz around the camp roads in the summer (ie., golf cart mode) and buzz around on the ice in the winter. Don;t want to get anything at the end of it's useful life. It 1300 miles a lot for a 1992? Thanks!

SD190EVO
03-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Seems like a lot of machine for the money. I've had Suzukis in the past and have been very happy with them. If it starts and runs well and appears generally well-kept I don't see how you could get hurt on that deal.

mitch
03-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Seems like a lot of machine for the money. I've had Suzukis in the past and have been very happy with them. If it starts and runs well and appears generally well-kept I don't see how you could get hurt on that deal.

Thanks for the reply. Is that expected milage? How fast would something like that go in 4x2 mode? 40? How are the plows controlled? Could I spread loam with the plow? Thanks much!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is that expected milage? How fast would something like that go in 4x2 mode? 40? How are the plows controlled? Could I spread loam with the plow? Thanks much!
Plow Up and down is controlled by elec winch, switch is probably on left side, angle on the blade probably a manual lever up front.

Maristar210
03-22-2006, 12:14 PM

Mitch

That is what I would call low mileage. About 40 is as fast as you would want to go on that trust me. Plows are usually hand operated and I would not expect to clear more than a few inches of snow without the addition of plowing accessories to the wheels.

All in all it looks clean. If it has a kick start depress it slowly and see if it takes some effort to push. Lots of effort = compression which = good if it depresses easily it is loose and in need of rings or the like. Look at at the chain, wiggle it side to side between the sprockets, if it moves side to side more than about an inch and a half, its junk, if its rusty, its junk. If nothing else it may be a bargaining tool. the blue book on it is around $1400 but that is in average condition, this one is above average. Use that as a bargaining tool also. $2000 is a bit much though, $1700 is what I would offer assuming the mechanicals check out okay.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Steve

Maristar210
03-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Okay I missed the winch part. $2000 is not that far out of line. $1800 maybe...?

Oh and I know I could get that stuck.

Him saying you can't get that stuck is unrealistic and insulting to anyone who knows anything about these. The biggest baddest ones on the planet get stuck. Why do we put winches on them? I thought so....

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
03-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Who knows at this point, it might have a winch, but the cable might only be about 3' long, just enough for the plow.

mitch
03-22-2006, 01:07 PM
""Winch w/50 ft. Cable and Remote Control""

And I did believe the not getting stuck part :o

I sent him another note asking if there;s been any mtr work done, and if there is a front and side pic avail. He sent me high res pics and it does look clean. Thanks guys!

mitch
03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
""Winch w/50 ft. Cable and Remote Control""

And I did believe the not getting stuck part :o

I sent him another note asking if there;s been any mtr work done, and if there is a front and side pic avail. He sent me high res pics and it does look clean. Thanks guys!

...and I had visions of plowing massive amounts of snow. That was going to help w/ selling this to the wife........

Does it have a cupholder? :banana:

mitch
03-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Went to look at the Suzuki and it was a major POS :mad:

I'm thinking I should just go new or leftover. How are the Kawasaki's? They seem pretty cheap. I like the look of the Honda's. What the minimum size I should get? I'm thinking 4x2 utility style. Thanks!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Went to look at the Suzuki and it was a major POS :mad:

I'm thinking I should just go new or leftover. How are the Kawasaki's? They seem pretty cheap. I like the look of the Honda's. What the minimum size I should get? I'm thinking 4x2 utility style. Thanks!
4X2 is somewhat of a waste of time IMO. If you must go 4X2 you better get something fun.

mitch
03-23-2006, 04:58 PM
How about this one for $5K. A guy bought it, and traded it in a month later for a sport model. 0 miles and it's green, fav color. Seem like a deal?

http://www.northreadingmotorsports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09648401X3K23K2006J3I12 I39JPMQ1341R0&veh=21582&pov=303642

4X2 is somewhat of a waste of time IMO. If you must go 4X2 you better get something fun.

SD190EVO
03-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Mitch -

I favor Polaris but my coworker and her husband have Kawis and have had them coming on 10 years and love them. She has a cabin in the hills so they have countless hours on theirs. She drags flagstone home with them. She says when times comes to upgrade, she will stick with Kawi.

Good luck!
Everett

mitch
03-23-2006, 09:38 PM
yea, the Polaris atv's look hot and I like arctic cats too. How much do the dealers generally move off of MSPR? Thanks!