PDA

View Full Version : Stock Mirror on a 93 Prostar

east tx skier
09-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Anybody who has/had a 93 Prostar (George, Mark), what kind of mirror came stock on your boat? I had a gladiator mirror 7x14 with a Ram ball and socket-looking mount. The old mirror would always vibrate down and I was constantly adjusting it. I just replaced it with a CIPA Comp and am confident that that thing isn't moving much. I may put the Gladiator on the observer side and just have a lot of rear view. I was just curious if this was something the prior owner put on there or if this used to be stock pre-CIPA.

G-man
09-23-2004, 02:25 PM
a cipa mirror was stock, some people mount them on the drivers side and some put them on the walk through section

east tx skier
09-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks, George. I thought about putting it on the folding glass, but figure it'll make it a pain for me and the people that end up going up into the bow. The mount on my old mirror was easier to install, but the new one is much sturdier.

stan
09-23-2004, 04:48 PM
I have the full length windshield mirror and it works great, no vibrations at all. I will check tonite and see who makes it.

G-man
09-23-2004, 05:41 PM
full length mirrors don't work well on open bow boats unless your into the Limbo. There great on closed bow's.

east tx skier
09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Stan, is this the one with staggered mirrors, alternating directions? If so, I've been in a boat that had one of those, and it was sweet. Agree that it would probably be more trouble than it's worth on a walk through, but I'd be very interested to know who makes it, just for grins.

MarkP
09-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Im using a 4x11 CIPA something or other. I wouldnt mind a bigger mirror but I have an open bow boat so I have seen the small side mount mirror from CIPA that I may add at some point.

stan
09-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Sorry I noticed after I posted your boat is an open bow. I looked last night and there are no markings of any kind, only a mastercraft sticker across the front.

stan
09-24-2004, 12:19 PM
And yes the mirrors are staggered.

east tx skier
09-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Stan, I used to know the name of those mirrors, but don't any longer. Mark, you've got pleny of room for a CIPA comp 7x14" mirror on either side of the walk through.

MarkP
09-24-2004, 06:16 PM
I guess your right Doug

The one Im using now I lucked into for next to nothing on a day that I really needed a mirror, so I cant complain. I may look around this winter for a bigger one.

AirJunky
09-27-2004, 01:58 AM
a cipa mirror was stock, some people mount them on the drivers side and some put them on the walk through section

How about on both sides? ;)

captkidd
09-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Airjunky, that actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. I replaced the much smaller stock CIPA mirror last summer with one of the 7x14 CIPA Comps (on the driver's side) and I really like this one a lot better because I can see a lot more of what's going on behind me. Now if I could just get everyone to quit hitting it as they walk through.

east tx skier
09-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Capt., you said it. Why is it that people mistake the mirror for a grab rail when they're walking through?

I've been contemplating putting my old mirror (also 7x14) on the observer side. If one is good, then two would logically be better, right?

AirJunky
09-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Capt., you said it. Why is it that people mistake the mirror for a grab rail when they're walking through?

I've been contemplating putting my old mirror (also 7x14) on the observer side. If one is good, then two would logically be better, right?

You got it, East TX Skier.! Two mirrors allows me to fix one on either side of the wake so I see all the way across.
These are the Cipa 7"x14" with factory Calabria brackets. I also found similar brackets at the CC dealer. They are different than the stock MC in that the bracket has a thumbscrew to clamp down on most windshields. I think the stock MC screws into the frame itself.
I debated using tower brackets too but decided this was better because the mirrors fold down under the cover.... out of sight, out of mind.

east tx skier
09-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Bill, neither of my mirrors is stock. The Cipa Comp I has thumb screws and a non-maring clamp. The Gladiator is the same, but isn't quite as stable as the CIPA. Both are 7x14 so I should have a pretty good view.

AirJunky
09-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Yea, I have a buddy with the Gladiator on his 'bu & while it's the same size, it vibrates so much that not much is in focus. He messes with it a lot too. I mess with mine maybe 3 or 4 times during a long ski day, usually due to someone hitting it or us driving over some monster wake.

east tx skier
09-28-2004, 10:51 AM
The issue with my Gladiator mirror isn't so much the focus, but rather that it loses angle at a pretty much constant rate. You really have to crank down the tightening screw on that thing.

On the plus side, it's really easy to install/uninstall.