PDA

View Full Version : Watersports helmet?

Tom023
03-21-2006, 10:03 AM
I am curious about the use of watersports helmets. For those of you who use them, is the primary reason for impact protection with an object? Or do they help lessen the impact with the water on very hard hits? I've gotten my bell rung a few times while wakeboarding and am wondering if the helmet would help prevent those instant headaches.

88 PS190
03-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Helmets are interesting things, they are mainly for collision with objects (ramp, sliders, your own board/skis) They will help against water, but they can also catch water in them, which is bizarre.

Make sure they fit well, and i would not wear one for slalom skiing, personally.

michael freeman
03-21-2006, 10:46 AM
I heard that part of the reason is to protect your ear drums, but a helmet will be something new to me. They didn't exist when I was a kid.

88 PS190
03-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Interesting about the ear drum thing, they sell neoprene protectors for that, i find them difficult to wear, always squeezing.

Leroy
03-21-2006, 10:59 AM
I bought one last summer for wakeboarding and snowboarding. I can attest it is possible to get your bell rung still, but it helped I think.

WakeSeeky
03-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Got helmets when we got the Sky Ski. We bought the kind with the ear flaps, and I've been glad a few times I had mine on, when I landed on the side of my head. It interferes with my hearing, and that bugs me, but I guess I'd rather be annoyed than blow out my ear drum or hit my head on the board.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-21-2006, 05:26 PM
I imagine if you concerned about your eardrums, you could wear ear plugs too, that would stop the water from gettin in with force. Just an idea..... anybody ever try this? or how big of a problem is it for slalom skiing? I never heard of anyone having trouble with slalom skiing and eardrums, but I have with wakeboarding and foiling.....mabye the falls are different....? :confused:

PendO
03-21-2006, 05:36 PM
I imagine if you concerned about your eardrums, you could wear ear plugs too, that would stop the water from gettin in with force. Just an idea..... anybody ever try this? or how big of a problem is it for slalom skiing? I never heard of anyone having trouble with slalom skiing and eardrums, but I have with wakeboarding and foiling.....mabye the falls are different....? :confused:

my dad ruptured an eardrum skiing many years ago

my brother wears a helmet on the wakeboard and snowskis, since he goes upside down

PendO
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Helmets are interesting things, they are mainly for collision with objects (ramp, sliders, your own board/skis) They will help against water, but they can also catch water in them, which is bizarre.

Make sure they fit well, and i would not wear one for slalom skiing, personally.

its the whole surface tension of water at significant velocities that necessitates the use of a helmet

Foiler
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
A lot of hydrofoilers and some wakeboarders wear helmets for just for the ear protection. Ear injuries are more common because we're falling from higher distances than with say slalom skiing.

I doubt the helmet offers much protection behond that but some would probably argue. I know they do make special earplugs just for water sports and say it's dangerous to wear just regular ear plugs.

jimmer2880
03-24-2006, 06:43 PM
my dad ruptured an eardrum skiing many years ago

my brother wears a helmet on the wakeboard and snowskis, since he goes upside down

I have started wearing a neoprene one just for water to the ears. I pierced both of mine many years ago. That was absolutely the worst pain I have ever had.

AirJunky
03-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Another foiler who rides with a helmet all the time. It really depends on how agressive you ride & what kind of things your doing. It's not likely that I'll be hitting a slider or a ramp any time soon. But it's VERY likely that I'll under rotate a back roll & come down sideways at some point this week.
I've had my bell rung twice, both times the boat came around to me & I was blowin bubbles. So now I use a Protec Ace Wake. Cost about $50, very comfortable, snap in ear flaps & don't look totally dorky.
http://airjunky.com/temp/Bill21102.jpg

tex
03-24-2006, 09:30 PM
I wear protec. I wear it when I jump, foil, and sometimes when I board(depends on what I'm working on). It does help when you slap the melon on the water. Maybe I should have worn it when I was breaking in the new boat?

SteveO
03-25-2006, 08:21 AM
And he has a BIG mellon :uglyhamme

WakeSeeky
03-25-2006, 10:04 AM
That's what I have, the ProTech with the ear flaps. It's comfortable, just muffles sound, but it's not that big of a problem. I suspect ear plugs would be as bad or worse, but I've never tried them in the water.

Foiler
03-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Looking good there Wakeseeky...looks like you have a beautiful place to ride.

WakeSeeky
03-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Thank you... now if only I can remember to look up! 8p That picture is from the fly-in at Mead last October, what a blast. I learned a lot, met some great folks and watched some awesome riders. By next year hopefully I'll be doing a little more than just trying to stay upright. :D

atlfootr
03-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Next WINNING LOTTO TICKET ....NUMBER
AWESUM!
Get your head in one of these!

Watch It Work!
100% Submersiable ...

Watch It Work .. (http://www.barefootcentral.com/Videos/Headzone.wmv)

WakeSeeky
03-26-2006, 10:33 AM
That thing is cool! That looks like it would take care of my frustration with not being able to hear. Any idea what that costs? I don't see a price on the website.

ski_king
03-26-2006, 10:50 AM
That thing is cool! That looks like it would take care of my frustration with not being able to hear. Any idea what that costs? I don't see a price on the website.
Looks like $485.00 for the basic kit.
http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=102
Says they won't be available until July.

WakeSeeky
03-26-2006, 11:22 AM
:D I just found that myself and came back to update. It still looks cool, but for that price I don't think I'll be the first on my block to try it out.

atlfootr
03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Looks like $485.00 for the basic kit.
http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=102
Says they won't be available until July.Ouch ... :eek:
Wait awhile, like everything else in time - it'll drop in price.

TonyB
03-26-2006, 09:49 PM
I wear protec. I wear it when I jump, foil, and sometimes when I board(depends on what I'm working on). It does help when you slap the melon on the water. Maybe I should have worn it when I was breaking in the new boat?
When I first started jumping (think Wayne Grimditch era) helmets were rare. The first generation of helmets, as long as you weren't hitting solid objects (ramp, skis, etc.), were worse than nothing. They would "bucket" like the devil. Chin strap dang near de-capitated me on several occasions. Neck abrasions hurt like hell.

Subsequent generations of helmets were heavily marketed as "non-bucketing".

R-i-g-h-t.

TonyB
03-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Ouch ... :eek:
Wait awhile, like everything else in time - it'll drop in price.

Yep, they're dang near giving away those Goode slaloms these days.

And those EP jumpers I sold for $200 back in 1980 are all the way down to $400 on ebay.

(I know, nobody likes a smart ***.)

Tom023
03-31-2006, 05:54 PM
After reading everyone's replies, I decided to purchase a helmet. I went to www.protechelmet.com. Nice site (not the company's site) with great prices, so I placed on order for which I received an order shipment email the same day. No tracking number so I emailed the company, no response. Called the company, they wouldn't give me a tracking number but assured me it would arrive in a few days. After 10 days, no helmet and no ability to contact them...they only have an answering machine and stopped responding to emails. I sent an email requesting cancelation of my order and disputed the charge on my credit card. Got an email later indicating they credited my account...no helmet ever shipped.

Avoid this place like the plague, just my .02

atlfootr
04-04-2006, 08:18 AM
After reading replies, decided to purchase a helmet.
I went to www.protechelmet.com. I placed an order, no tracking number so I emailed the company, no response.

Called the company, wouldn't give me a tracking number, but assured me it would arrive in a few days. After 10 days, no helmet and no ability to contact them.. :noface:

Only have an answering machine and stopped responding to emails.
I sent an email requesting cancelation of my order and disputed the charge on my credit card.

Got an email later indicating they credited my account...no helmet ever shipped. :noface:
Avoid this place like the plague, just my :twocents:

Sounds like some GOOD ADVICE!

Contact Information: Protechelmet

Check / Money Order make payable:

PT Helmets
P.O. Box 1332
Monroe Michigan, 48162
USA

Ph: 1-734-384-5596
Fax: 1-734-384-5990 EST
Hours: 9am - 6pm EST M - F

"If you have product questions or you're having difficulty tracking a package please contact by email": service@protechelmet.com

craig3972
04-11-2006, 11:54 AM
i have had my ear drum broken wakeboarding, and believe me you won't like it. Not to mention your riding days are over for that summer.
i caught my edge and came down on the side of my head rather than my front or back of my head.

i was also pulling my brother tubing when he broke his ear drum, so that leads me to believe that some people are more suseptible than others. Why don't you ever hear of pro wakeboarders getting blown ear drums?

i tried ear plugs, but i find that my sence of speed is hindered. So then i tried custom moulded ear plugs with small holes in them, they are better, but the speed sence is still reduced, and when you crash they come out and get all tangled up in their lanyard. messy

So then i got the helmet with the ear gaurds (protec), which i find works the best, put some silicone in the snaps for the ear flaps to keep them from coming off in a crash. I also find that crashing with helmet decelerates my skull faster than my skinny head slicing thru the water. The larger surface area of the helmut, slows more quickly upon impact, making some types of crashes worse. small concusion headache to enjoy untill the next crash! :)

jimmer2880
04-11-2006, 04:51 PM
i have had my ear drum broken wakeboarding, and believe me you won't like it. Not to mention your riding days are over for that summer.
i caught my edge and came down on the side of my head rather than my front or back of my head.

i was also pulling my brother tubing when he broke his ear drum, so that leads me to believe that some people are more suseptible than others. Why don't you ever hear of pro wakeboarders getting blown ear drums?

i tried ear plugs, but i find that my sence of speed is hindered. So then i tried custom moulded ear plugs with small holes in them, they are better, but the speed sence is still reduced, and when you crash they come out and get all tangled up in their lanyard. messy

So then i got the helmet with the ear gaurds (protec), which i find works the best, put some silicone in the snaps for the ear flaps to keep them from coming off in a crash. I also find that crashing with helmet decelerates my skull faster than my skinny head slicing thru the water. The larger surface area of the helmut, slows more quickly upon impact, making some types of crashes worse. small concusion headache to enjoy untill the next crash! :)

Thanks for the info. That's interesting about the helmet making some crashes worse. Makes sence, but never really thought about it.

I pearced both my ear drums one summer - Not a fun summer. That is the absolute worst pain I've ever had.

Todd '04_PS197
04-17-2006, 11:15 PM
After reading everyone's replies, I decided to purchase a helmet. I went to www.protechelmet.com. Nice site (not the company's site) with great prices, so I placed on order for which I received an order shipment email the same day. No tracking number so I emailed the company, no response. Called the company, they wouldn't give me a tracking number but assured me it would arrive in a few days. After 10 days, no helmet and no ability to contact them...they only have an answering machine and stopped responding to emails. I sent an email requesting cancelation of my order and disputed the charge on my credit card. Got an email later indicating they credited my account...no helmet ever shipped.

Avoid this place like the plague, just my .02

My friend had a similiar problem with this company. The "first helmet shipped" never made it. He called them after 10 Business days. They said they'd ship another. He had to call again before they finally shipped the helmet. It ended up taking a month to get the helmet.
I'd recommend the helmet. I'd just recommend getting it somewhere else.

tex
04-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Maybe we could get Sizzler to purchase Waterbirds for us and ship them over here.

http://www.waterbird.co.uk/accessories.php

My favorite helmet of all time.

ShawnE
04-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Get the Ace helmet from Overtons. You know it will show up.

I ordered one for my son last summer....it showed up in 4 days UPS.
That was 1 day too late as he caught the toe edge and blew his ear drum big time....it was the last run of the day, butter smooth water and he was just lookin' to the boat after swinging wide. He gave me the nod just before he let go for a pickup and down he went...bad karma I guess.

He says whenever he falls it happens so fast he really doesn't notice if the helmet catches any water.

Mi.mc
05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=PendO]my dad ruptured an eardrum skiing many years ago

ya mine did too- he has been wearing an ear band to prevent future problems

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=PendO]my dad ruptured an eardrum skiing many years ago

ya mine did too- he has been wearing an ear band to prevent future problems

My wife has done this several times. She now wears ear protection and says, "Huh??" a lot.

jimmer2880
05-09-2006, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=Mi.mc]

My wife has done this several times. She now wears ear protection and says, "Huh??" a lot.

Perhaps I have done mine 1 time too many... I say huh all the time. When the helmet is on, I don't even hear enough to realize I'm supposed to say 'huh' :uglyhamme