PDA

View Full Version : how do I install a steering cable

atlfootr
03-20-2006, 06:53 PM
How do I install a steering cable on an Inboard :steering:

erkoehler
03-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Um, in case you hadn't figured it out, you have an out board!

atlfootr
03-20-2006, 06:57 PM
this Q is not for me, but for a friend.

JimN
03-20-2006, 07:23 PM
First, make the rudder stay where it is (preferably straight).

Remove the cable from the tiller arm and attach a cord or wire to it, then pull it toward the helm after making sure it's totally free of any wire ties, etc. Once it gets to the helm, remove the cord/wire and attach it to the new cable. Have someone pull the cord/wire to the rear while you feed the new cable back. Once it's in place, reconnect it to the tiller arm and attach it in the bilge with wire ties, the way it was before. Mount it to the helm and make sure the wheel is in the same position as it was with the old cable. This can be done by one person, especially if it's a direct drive ski boat. Don't force anything and take your time.

You'll probably need to remove the rear seat and possibly a floor panel, if it's a ski boat.

flipper
03-20-2006, 07:44 PM
I used one of those "fish tapes" or whatever they are called for running electrical wires through walls of houses in my friends boat. Worked good, strong, and flexible. Make sure you tape the hell out of them though for at least 6 inches overlapped. It sucks when the come apart, it's always somewhere it is hard to get to.

atlfootr
03-20-2006, 10:40 PM
JimN-flipper,

Thanks to both for the advice, I passed it along to my friend.
I guess we'll see how it turns out.

SKI*MC
03-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Um, in case you hadn't figured it out, you have an out board!
HAHA! Smart arse!

skitilldark
03-24-2006, 11:21 PM
I agree with this, but I just taped the new cable to the old and pulled the new in out with the old. It IS a MAJOR pain making the turn just under the dash, however. everything else is pretty easy.

First, make the rudder stay where it is (preferably straight).

Remove the cable from the tiller arm and attach a cord or wire to it, then pull it toward the helm after making sure it's totally free of any wire ties, etc. Once it gets to the helm, remove the cord/wire and attach it to the new cable. Have someone pull the cord/wire to the rear while you feed the new cable back. Once it's in place, reconnect it to the tiller arm and attach it in the bilge with wire ties, the way it was before. Mount it to the helm and make sure the wheel is in the same position as it was with the old cable. This can be done by one person, especially if it's a direct drive ski boat. Don't force anything and take your time.

You'll probably need to remove the rear seat and possibly a floor panel, if it's a ski boat.

Bobby
03-25-2006, 12:51 PM
I had to do this to my parents' '82 Nautique. It wasn't fun to say the least but a few beers and scraped knuckles later it all worked just fine.