PDA

View Full Version : Balance Trailer Tires?

timandjesi
09-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Do you think that trailer tires should be balanced? Would there be a benefit to balancing them? I just bought a 2005 and the trailer tires are not balanced, there are no wheel weights anywhere. This could be a rainy day project, jack up the trailer and get the tires balanced!! :D

River Rat
09-23-2004, 09:13 AM
I balance mine. I would think the vibration is not good for the bearings.

Dan K
09-23-2004, 09:19 AM
When I recently purchased new wheels and tires for mine several stores told me it was not necessary. I ultimately purchased elsewhere and had them balanced. It is a marginal cost item and when towing every little bit helps IMO.

Bert
09-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Do you think that trailer tires should be balanced? Would there be a benefit to balancing them? I just bought a 2005 and the trailer tires are not balanced, there are no wheel weights anywhere. This could be a rainy day project, jack up the trailer and get the tires balanced!! :D

It can't hurt. Tire shops always say it's not required. I don't know why, after all they get paid to balance and you would think the tires would run smoother and last longer

east tx skier
09-23-2004, 10:48 AM
I balanced mine when I switched over to Marathons. I feel I'd notice the vibration.

NeilM
09-23-2004, 12:49 PM
I balance 'em. It's one less source of vibration.

captkidd
09-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Ever seen one of those cars going down the highway with one or more tires bouncing like a basketball? My guess is that this is the result of either a tire/wheel that is out of balance, a worn out shock/strut, and/or improper wheel alignment. You would want to balance a trailer tire for the same reasons you balance a car tire: handling, ride, tire wear, etc.