PDA

View Full Version : trouble painting vinyl coverering on motor box cupholder

dwe
09-23-2004, 12:46 AM
I recently spray painted the cupholder on the motor box. I followed the directions, but it didn't seem like it was drying, and was sticky. It was a plastic paint, but when I reread the can, it said do not use on vinyl (oops). I then used acetone to clean off the old paint. I re-sprayed it again (once all the paint and stickiness was gone) with a vinyl paint. It looked good and dried well. However, in a month,it has gotten sticky again. You can leave a thumb print if you touch it. It's almost like the old paint is continuing to degrade the vinyl into a goo. Can it be saved? should I get a new piece of vinyl and form and glue it? Any tricks for getting the vinyl to stick down in the corners and depressions under stretch?

Thanks!
David

SD190EVO
09-23-2004, 10:13 AM
One yard of the highest quality marine vinyl is $7 and new plastic cup holders are $1.99 from BoatersWorld. Might consider just doing a total refurb?

dwe
09-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Any ideas for how to make the vinyl stick into the depressions? I would guess you'd heat it, and use a contact cement?

94PS190
10-04-2004, 12:57 PM
This project is a nightmare! I tried to have my drink holder recovered by a local upholstery shop. This shop is pretty good , I had a whole boat done a few yrs ago, and it turned out great. First problem is getting the old vinyl off. The vinyl is vacumed glued to the plastic. It took a few hours, but I got the old vinyl off, wish I never would have done it. The new ninyl won't stay attached. We have tried a couple of different glues, but nothing yet. Right now it looks like @!#$. Iam going to try to buy a new one this winter. Any ideas on where to find one? Trust me, stick to painting or live with it faded, I wish i would have.

Dave

dwe
10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
That's what I was afraid of. The edges were coming unglued, and I repaired that, but man was it a pain. I couldn't imagine how I would get new vinyl to take the shape of the whole cupholder. Painting works well, if I'd started with the right paint. I think the stuff I used first is just continuing to degrade the vinyl into a sticky goo. Let me know if you find a solution.

SD190EVO
10-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Dammit! Sorry I even suggested the vinyl idea. Can you post a pictures. Maybe get some other inspiration if we could see what you are dealing with.

Sorry again.

94PS190
10-06-2004, 08:40 AM
I will snap a few today, then try to post them. It's not pretty.

H20skeefreek
10-06-2004, 08:54 AM
DWE,

I tried the EXACT same thing on my Mustang door panels. It just keeps getting worse. I ended up having to replace them. good luck bro.

94PS190
10-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Haven't had a chance to post pic's. Does anyone know how I can buy a new cup holder? The one on the back of the motor box for a 94 Pro Star

jimmer2880
10-18-2004, 07:25 AM
I have no idea how this would hold up, but instead of vinyl, could you try using some kind of fabric? I'm thinking something along the lines of the headliner material.

just a thought - pls don't blame me if it comes out like cr@p...

H20skeefreek
10-20-2004, 07:57 PM
I have no idea how this would hold up, but instead of vinyl, could you try using some kind of fabric? I'm thinking something along the lines of the headliner material.

just a thought - pls don't blame me if it comes out like cr@p...

nope, tried it, looks like crap. you can't get it to lay down in the creases.

Dan K
10-20-2004, 11:05 PM
I haven't tried either of these, just a couple of thoughts...
Use spray on truck bed liner or
Use the liquid rubber that you dip tool handles in

I am not sure what color your looking for.

94PS190
11-19-2004, 01:54 PM
that's not a bad idea - I think I am going to try a plastic spray coating

dwe
01-04-2005, 01:20 AM
I took another shot at painting my cupholder, and I think its going to turn out this time. I stripped all of the old paint that had turned sticky with laquer thinner, and then washed it well with soapy water. I then sprayed it with many coats of XIM primer, and then sprayed it with a vinyl color paint. The XIM seems to be the key since where the vinyl tucks underneath shows a little stickiness (didn't get coated very well with primer. It's been painted for about a month now, and so far so good.

jimmer2880
01-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Great - thanks for the update!

MarkP
01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Good to know dw..

milkmania
01-07-2005, 12:20 AM
how about this.....

finding a good quality vinyl, and the bestest glue you can find

stretching the vinyl, getting it glued where you want it, then slip into one of those Vacuum space bags I keep seeing on tv?

the vacuum would make the vinyl conform to the recessed areas that you've been unable to get the vinyl to stick.

just a thought:)

one bag's only like $6.99
http://store.yahoo.com/organizeeverything1/spacebag.html (http://store.yahoo.com/organizeeverything1/spacebag.html)

http://store1.yimg.com/I/organizeeverything1_1828_309759967

dwe
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM
I thought of trying something like that, but the suction would have to be really strong. That vinyl is thick, and doesn't stretch easy. You can actually see the tiny holes in the plastic which I guess is what the factory used to suction the vinyl down onto the plastic.

nattylightmike
01-19-2005, 09:06 PM
I used truck bed coating. It looks alot better than it did.

JimN
01-20-2005, 12:32 AM
If the paint and primer don't work, it'll need to be removed again. Vinyl usually isn't painted, it's dyed. Spray vinyl dye is available from auto parts stores and suppliers for upholstery shops. Ususlly used for changing the color of car interiors and repairs to cuts in vinyl. Otherwise, look up vinyl repair in the phone book. They'll be able to help. If you can't find anyone who does this kind of repair, call the service department of some car dealers. They use this service all the time.

jimmer2880
01-20-2005, 07:38 AM
I used truck bed coating. It looks alot better than it did.

Looks good! great idea.

I hope to do the tub of my Jeep this summer with that stuff. That ought to be fun!