PDA

View Full Version : THE First MasterCraft Boat!

daveg
03-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the help on changing the size of the file from the post I put up earlier today. The tutorial that Leroy sent was great. I was looking through some boats pictures the other night, and came across one I thought everyone on this forum might enjoy.

About 10 years ago I was visiting my family just north of Indy (Noblesville/Fishers area) and I stopped in the previous MasterCraft dealer in Castleton. There was some sort of special promotion going on, and they had the original MasterCraft boat at their store. So, sensing a historic photo op, I promptly jumped in, and had my picture taken in this boat. Never dreamed I would be posting it here, so....don't pay any attention to that man behind the steering wheel :rolleyes: Sorry the nose of boat didn't make it in the picture.

By the way, I love vintage toys, and would love to find a classic S&S to tow behind my '68 F250. Had a few CC's before, but boatless right now, but do have a couple of SeaDoo's. I ski at a private ski site that has a '97 SN. This is a really GREAT forum!!!!

X-45
03-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I'd love to see the first one.

daveg
03-19-2006, 03:33 PM
I just found the promo post card that Skier's Choice sent out to let customers know that they had the first MasterCraft at the upcoming boat show. Its amazing the stuff I hang onto!!

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I remember when they had the boat here. They no longer own the franchise here in Indy. I thought they said the 68 was originally owned by someone in Ohio. I could be wrong. Ron Stoltz (?) who now owns the local Skier's Edge I believe was the local MC dealer at that time. I was into CC as well back when. Very cool pic! Friends of the family back in ohio had one just like that on the Scioto (Perini famliy, I am sure I spelled it wrong). :banana:
PS. I could have read the above post! Their number is still the same!

mattsn
03-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Yes, Ron Stolz was the MC dealer at that time. Still has Ski shop.

east tx skier
03-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Very nice Pic!

erkoehler
03-19-2006, 08:57 PM
WOW, times have really changed....

Leroy
03-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Wow! That is really neat boat, wonder where it is now?

ski_king
03-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Here is a picture of it at the factory.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=305&stc=1

SKI*MC
03-19-2006, 10:10 PM
The Factory has it. They found the actual first one made (not one of the first), they gave the guy either 10 or 20 k for the boat, and any new MC he wanted. The first MC is at the Factory.

X-45
03-19-2006, 10:22 PM
I know some of the history of other boat manufacturers started with someone at MasterCraft leaving the company and starting another company. But what was there before Mastercraft.
:confused:

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2006, 10:26 PM
MasterCraft I believe began as a dedicated Tow Boat. CC had already been around I believe since the 20's or 30's as an inboard. CC and Chris Crafts, and the old Century (resorter) boat company could probably lay some claim. Anyone remember the Bueler Jet boats of the early 60's?

88 PS190
03-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Correct craft has definately been making towboats for years and years, atleast back into the 40's, with the aqua skiers. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/ has some of the history of correct craft etc.

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Very cool site. The 64' appears to be the first dedicated ski boat. Until then old wood DD runabouts appear to be the ticket.

X-45
03-19-2006, 10:39 PM
I seen some of the old wooden inboard CC boats but I just never notice a ski pylon. I always thought they were more of a V hull. Guess that is why MasterCraft was created. :toast:

daveg
03-19-2006, 10:39 PM
HoosierBob, I remember the Buehler Jet Boats. I grew up in Noblesville IN, and my dad used to take me skiing at Morse Reservoir in Cicero with our little Chrysler boat. There used to be a couple of Buehler jets up there. Saw one get a ski rope sucked into the jets once too. Those guys were not happy!

Also, I talked to a sales rep at a local ski boat company a few weeks ago. He told me that the very first MasterCraft prototype was actually a SN that Rob Shirley had bought from CC and modified (widened and lengthened) to come up with the MasterCraft hull design. Has anybody heard this, or could there be any validity to it??

Hoosier Bob
03-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I loved those old jets! I never skied behind one and imagine you could pull it all over. The spray was not horrible behind them. I rode in one once and I had a blast. If you ever get back this way look Leroy or myself up for a pull!

SKI*MC
03-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Also, I talked to a sales rep at a local ski boat company a few weeks ago. He told me that the very first MasterCraft prototype was actually a SN that Rob Shirley had bought from CC and modified (widened and lengthened) to come up with the MasterCraft hull design. Has anybody heard this, or could there be any validity to it??

I have never heard of that, it could be true, but until i see hard proff or many people agreeing with it, i don't think there is a lot of truth to it.

ski_king
03-19-2006, 11:16 PM
In 1957 Leo Bentz built the first fiberglass Ski Nautique and offered to sell the design to Correct Craft. Correct Craft wanted no part in the Ski Nautique design as they had “never seen a fiberglass tree.”
In 1961 Correct Craft finally agreed to purchase the Ski Nautique design.

Then in 68 Rob Shirley built the first MasterCraft and the real ski boat industry was born.

atlfootr
03-19-2006, 11:39 PM
The Factory has it. They found the actual first one made (not one of the first), they gave the guy either 10 or 20 k for the boat, and any new MC he wanted.Not a bad deal, if you ask me :popcorn:

10 or 20,000
any new MC I wanted
:rolleyes:
Now who wouldn't take that?

milkmania
03-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Correct craft has definately been making towboats for years and years, atleast back into the 40's, with the aqua skiers. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/ has some of the history of correct craft etc.

cool, thanks for the link....
it's got the Borg warner Velvet drive installation manual & service manual as a bonus:dance:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6mxo8/downloads/Velvet_Drive_Inst_Manual.pdf

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6mxo8/downloads/Velvet_Drive_Serv_Manual.pdf

88 PS190
03-20-2006, 12:14 AM
yea... can't say those aren't handy, since i've got the older boat, that's how i found that site, looking for velvet drive info, since mine is sooooo noisy.

Leroy
03-20-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't remember seeing it on the tour....wish they would show their special boats if they keep them actually at the factory. THis is really neat stuff, love hearing about the early days of ski boats!

The Factory has it. They found the actual first one made (not one of the first), they gave the guy either 10 or 20 k for the boat, and any new MC he wanted. The first MC is at the Factory.

TMCNo1
03-20-2006, 01:16 PM
John Dorton's father brought the Serial #1 boat to a Pro Tour event in the "Big Red Rig" to High Point, NC several years back. He said the then owner had been approached several time by MC to purchase the boat and he refused to depart with it even though his wife disliked boats it and she wanted him to get rid of it. The owner got sick and passed away and the widow wanted to get rid of it and MC obtained it from her for an undisclosed amount. MC then did a small amount of reconditioning and tune-up to it to make it run and for appearance purposes to be shown on occasion and to be photographed for brochures and such. ICBW

Leroy
03-20-2006, 01:54 PM
TMC1; great post, but you cannot put ICBW at the end. I'm believing and hanging on your every word! :worthy:

SkiDog
03-20-2006, 04:11 PM
:D :D I wonder if that boat will make it into the Museum, Hall of fame, outlet store, & proshop?!?!?!? :D :D

TMCNo1
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
TMC1; great post, but you cannot put ICBW at the end. I'm believing and hanging on your every word! :worthy:

Leroy, thanks for the encouragement.
There are those out there that have considerably more knowledge about some of this stuff, but on occasion I feel the urge to tell what I have experienced and as with alot on here it subject to correction for multiple reasons. That's just my opinion! Kidding! :confused: 8p :D

Instead of ICBW, I should have said I don't think John Dorton Sr. would have any reason to pull my leg, but that was too long a statement!

TMCNo1
03-20-2006, 04:30 PM
:D :D I wonder if that boat will make it into the Museum, Hall of fame, outlet store, & proshop?!?!?!? :D :D

It's already there cause it is serial #1.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-20-2006, 04:38 PM
This entire thread is awesome! THe pic is too cool, and I love the stories. I would like to see that boat sometime......maybe someday if they have it on display. COOL!!! :)

SkiDog
03-20-2006, 04:39 PM
It is my understanding that the corner office dudes have now contacted Splatter for his contribution! :D :D :D

TMCNo1
03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
It is my understanding that the corner office dudes have now contacted Splatter for his contribution! :D :D :D

MasterCraft doesn't have that much white, black, teal and gray laying around to splatter and make a display for his rig and besides if he gave them all his stuff, the Museum would be full of his stuff alone and room for nothing else. :toast:

jbfootin
03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
The heck with having my picture in a boat on a trailer...I WANT TO GET IT WET AND SKI IT!!

:toast: :steering: :toast:

Now that would be an awsome story, to say that you were pulled by the first MC! :rolleyes:

east tx skier
03-20-2006, 06:45 PM

This is the version of the story that I'd heard as well.

SKI*MC
03-20-2006, 11:49 PM
I know that they have some of the first MC's in the back parking lot. From what i have heard. Along with proto-type x-80 hulls, and even the X-TREK.

erkoehler
03-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I know that they have some of the first MC's in the back parking lot. From what i have heard. Along with proto-type x-80 hulls, and even the X-TREK.

NO, they gotta store those in doors..... :eek:

Leroy
03-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Oh! But so much better in this thread!

Instead of ICBW, I should have said I don't think John Dorton Sr. would have any reason to pull my leg, but that was too long a statement!

SKI*MC
03-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Chad said X-80 hulls (just engine, floorboards, steering wheel, and throttle) were just rammed up on shore, just to test new placements for ballast. He said he saw a few X-80 hulls in the back field (no trailer i don't think) and the X-Trek parked somewheree in the back. I might be wrong, or they might have moved it in, i could be wrong.

LakePirate
03-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Power Hour had this boat on it the other day...will have to check the TiVo for the date. It was the Matt Curmi episode, he went to the factory...pretty cool. They had it sitting outside with no cover....well at least for TV they did.