PDA

View Full Version : Boat bra for towing?

bmxracer4
09-22-2004, 09:08 PM
I have a black 04 X-7. Does anyone know who makes towing bras for boats? Within the first month I can see small rock chips in the clearcoat (from towing the boat down to the lake). Look like I will be pulling the boat from Portland to Phoenix in the spring, and I need something to protect the bottom.

Any help will be appreciated,

Racer

lsupcar
09-22-2004, 10:09 PM
I've seen protectors for sale in a catalog, maybe Overtons. It kind of looks like a tent mounted vertically in front of the boat. Don't know if they work. Goodluck. Bill Z

paragod
09-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I make custom tops and have made some bra's for large offshore fishing boats I do all of Daryl Moores tops for Master craft in Houston I can pattern just about any Comp ski boat and send it to you bras are lined with a soft felt and a duck material to keep it nice and soft on your boat when trailering J&B Marine 832-326-5563

SD190EVO
09-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Here is what you are looking for... have no experience with it myselft, just saw it on this site.

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/boat_accessories/rockGard.htm

erkoehler
09-22-2004, 11:25 PM
I have seen these as options, but only with the new malibu boats.

Bert
09-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I make custom tops and have made some bra's for large offshore fishing boats I do all of Daryl Moores tops for Master craft in Houston I can pattern just about any Comp ski boat and send it to you bras are lined with a soft felt and a duck material to keep it nice and soft on your boat when trailering J&B Marine 832-326-5563

Can you post pics. I would be interested in one for a Pro Star

east tx skier
09-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Paragod, do you do the biminis for dmoore as well? If so, thanks for mine.

I've seen an article on the malibu owners' board about this as well.

lsupcar
09-23-2004, 11:40 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0023872016354a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0023872&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true I found the one I was thinking of. Try this. Goodluck. Bill Z

NeilM
09-24-2004, 10:07 AM
bmxracer:
I saw 3 boats from Edmonton (where Roswell is) this summer, all with the rockguard installed - a MasterCraft, a Tige, and a Centurion. Owners say they're real easy to mount and do the job. I didn't ask how much.

bmxracer4
09-24-2004, 01:30 PM
I have an email out to rockgard and am considering the bow guard from cabelas. I will let everyone know which one I get and how it works.

Thanks for everyones help :)

Leec
09-24-2004, 01:44 PM
I have an email out to rockgard and am considering the bow guard from cabelas. I will let everyone know which one I get and how it works.

Thanks for everyones help :)
Well there is the brush looking flap all across the underside of your tow vehicle in back of rear wheels like for RVs that would protect it as well.
:smile:

captkidd
09-27-2004, 09:35 AM
I went a different route (as usual). I built some oversize mud flaps that install on my trailer hitch to prevent rocks from being thrown up toward my trailer/boat.

I had my father-in-law weld up some 2x2 tubing that would slide into each end of my trailer hitch and bought two tractor-trailer type mudflaps and cut them down to size and mounted them to the tubing. I then drilled holes through the bottom of the trailer hitch and into the tubing, tapped these and installed a thumbscrew on each side to hold the tubing in place. I had to add a piece of 1"x3/16"x 12" flat metal to the bottom of each mudflap to keep them from sailing out. (I don't have a good picture of them, and the digital camera is in the shop.)

They sure don't add anything to the looks of my rig, but I only use them when towing and I always use them when towing. The cost was probably less than $25 and it just seems to make more sense to stop the flying objects before they get back to the boat/trailer. I'm sure these bras work, but they only cover a limited area of the boat and don't cover the trailer or windshield area at all.

On my previous tow vehicle I used a different set up, but it didn't work on my current truck because the trailer hitch is set further under the truck. On my old set up I simply used a piece of 2x2 wood the same width as the truck and bolted the mudflaps to that (I painted it black, but a piece of 2x2 steel tubing would look better and be more durable). I put the 2x2 over the top of the hitch and bolted it in place with a square u-bolt that was easily installed and removed. This was close enough to the vehicle that it also did a good job of blocking stuff from being thrown back by the tires.

jimmer2880
09-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Capt... that's a good idea. I was thinking of something similiar also. I think that I'll get a longer shank hitch (don't we all want a long shank? :eek: ). I'd use a single piece of 2.5 x 2.5 inch tubing about 1.5 inches long to slip over the 2x2 hitch before it enters the receiver. Then on the 2.5x2.5 - I'd then weld some 1.5x1.5" tubing (or angle) to bolt the mud-flaps onto.

Good idea on the flat-bar to keep them from sailing. I doubt I'd be able to get my wife to agree to the chrome strippers the truckers have on theirs :D .

captkidd
09-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Jimmer, I really like that idea. It wouldn't be too hard to extend the slide-in hitch, and as long as the tubing fit fairly tight around it there shouldn't be any rocking/tilting. I'll probably try this on my next tow vehicle.

Picture below shows my current "rock catchers". Like I said, not too pretty, but certainly functional.