PDA

View Full Version : Mopar Guys

LakePirate
03-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I am looking at trucks for my brother-in-law, he is 16 and I am looking for something reliable and full size to put him in. I have found a Dodge Ram Charger that is in the price range I am looking for. However, my question is how hard is it to work on Dodges? I can work on Chevys and Fords but have never popped the hood on a Dodge. Are they more difficult to work on? I heard somewhere that you have to be able to speak MOPAR to talk to them.

Thanks for any help.

jkski
03-17-2006, 10:58 AM
For what it's worth...
I've owned several MOPAR's and have had great luck with them. I do not tend to work on them very much myself, but then again, I have not had a lot of need to either.
One thing I can tell you is to watch-out for the front end on the trucks, they tend to chew-up front tires.
Good luck.

redmike
03-17-2006, 12:21 PM
ok, what year ramcharger, that makes a diff....and as far as workin on one, imo, they are easier...no messed up firing order(Ford) and no valves to adjust, can't be a tooth off puttin in the distributor, etc. so as far as speaking MOPAR, not sure about how I learned, but after all the years, I must be fluent.......
Seriously, if you can keep a FORD runnin, a dodge will be no problem....

lakes Rick
03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I have a 67 and it hasn't run since 1982.. Not much help here..

LakePirate
03-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Well I guess that answered the question. It has a leak on the front engine seal, but crate engines are only like 1500 or so if I have to replace. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting more of a headache than I expect.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I was typing away, then realized the "RAM" was in your post. I thought we were going to talk about the new CHARGER:D . Sorry the word Mopar got me thinkin/readin all wrong...:o

redmike
03-21-2006, 01:16 AM
pirate, if you are going to change the front seal (I am assuming you mean the timing chain cover) I would highly reccomend going ahead and changing the timing chain and gears unless it has been done recently. the ones the factory from the mid 70's-mid 80's are questionable after 100k or so, and due to stretching. I always change them, and it really brings the engines back to life. Like I said, this is assuming you are already in there fixing the oil leak.....just my thoughts.....

redmike
03-21-2006, 01:20 AM
I was typing away, then realized the "RAM" was in your post. I thought we were going to talk about the new CHARGER:D . Sorry the word Mopar got me thinkin/readin all wrong...:o

now you are talking, that is one bad ride....hope they build it like the show car, I'd have to buy one.....my insurance agent would love me :D

LakePirate
03-21-2006, 09:28 AM
pirate, if you are going to change the front seal (I am assuming you mean the timing chain cover) I would highly reccomend going ahead and changing the timing chain and gears unless it has been done recently. the ones the factory from the mid 70's-mid 80's are questionable after 100k or so, and due to stretching. I always change them, and it really brings the engines back to life. Like I said, this is assuming you are already in there fixing the oil leak.....just my thoughts.....

Thanks Redmike

Me and my brother just did the exact same thing to his 82 suburban.

lakes Rick
03-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Mopar crate motors are ALOT more expensive than the GM crate motors.. Price anything mopar BEFORE you assume costs.....

Bobby
03-22-2006, 08:31 PM
are you talking about the old 80's ramcharger suv type things? if so, get a bronco or a blazer/jimmy. at least they have removable tops and from first hand experience i know that the blazer K5's are very easy to work on and relatively cheap to fix. plus you can run over some trees and drive through some small ponds with it.