PDA

View Full Version : re-adjust timing after breakerless ignt. install

DooSPX
03-17-2006, 09:04 AM
do you have to re-adjust the timming after doing a breakerless ignition install on a 91 351W?

Brn85ss
03-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Yes you do,it probably won't even be close when you fire it up after the install.

jayderwin1
03-17-2006, 09:55 AM
do you have to readjust the timing when you take out the resistor beacuse the person that had the boat before you put in electronic ignition and did not take out the resistor?

DooSPX
03-17-2006, 10:00 AM
do you have to readjust the timing when you take out the resistor beacuse the person that had the boat before you put in electronic ignition and did not take out the resistor?

im going to be doing the install... it still has points...

JimN
03-17-2006, 10:09 AM
The resistor doesn't affect timing, it affects the voltage going to the coil, which affects the spark intensity. If the points are going, then yes, the timing needs to be reset. If you have access to a dwell meter, check that too. It should be about 26-34 degrees.

DooSPX
03-17-2006, 10:17 AM
The resistor doesn't affect timing, it affects the voltage going to the coil, which affects the spark intensity. If the points are going, then yes, the timing needs to be reset. If you have access to a dwell meter, check that too. It should be about 26-34 degrees.

thanks... what is the initial and total timming on the 351W indmar?

east tx skier
03-17-2006, 10:24 AM
According to my manual, it's 10 degrees BTDC (that's total a/k/a top dead center, right?).

DooSPX
03-17-2006, 10:25 AM
thanks easty!!

tph
03-17-2006, 10:50 AM
thanks... what is the initial and total timming on the 351W indmar?

I think it's 6 degrees BTDC on some models.

east tx skier
03-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I should have specified that all engines in the 91--93 Prostar manual list timing as 10 degrees BTDC. I don't know if it's different for other years.

JimN
03-17-2006, 11:15 AM
BTDC is Before Top Dead Center.

Base tining will be either 6 or 10 BTDC, depending on the vintage and whether it was a PCM or Indmar motor. Most of the PCM I saw were 6 degrees advanced and teh Indmar were +10. Total advance is determined by the advance wieghts and springs, and how well they move at speed. IIRC, they add about 20 degrees at WOT.

The pivots get sticky and the springs change their response over time, so they shouldbe checked or replaced if they're more than about 10 years old.

Many of the MC boats with the 351 had a sticker on one valve cover with tuneup specs on it.

DooSPX
03-17-2006, 11:41 AM
thanks all...
its a indmar....
what is needed for a electronic conversion? breakerless kit, rotor cap, coil, and of course wires and plugs while your at it.? do you still twist the rotor cap to change the timing?

NSXBill
03-17-2006, 02:54 PM
thanks all...
its a indmar....
what is needed for a electronic conversion? breakerless kit, rotor cap, coil, and of course wires and plugs while your at it.? do you still twist the rotor cap to change the timing?
You rotate the DISTRIBUTOR to change the timing...after you've loosened it slightly.

JohnnyB
03-18-2006, 03:02 PM
I seem to remember there being a pointer and mark on my boat.....its slumbering right now so I can't look.....will be out very soon though...40deg here today and rivers are open :banana: :banana:

TMCNo1
03-18-2006, 04:18 PM
On a Ford you should have on the fuel pump side[left side][observer side] of the front of the engine,a pointer that looks like a nail coming off the block barely over the harmonic balancer, on the harmonic balancer there are 2 line indentions, one going all the way across the surface and one 1/2 way across the surface. The long line is Top Dead Center. Bump the starter till those lines are near the pointer. One simple way to increase seeing these marks in daylight or in the dark is to mark these indentions in the harmonic balancer with a "White Out" Liquid Paper pen. You will have to loosen the hold down bolt under the distributor, so you can barely move the distributor to adjust the timing. Be sure the engine is properly warmed up prior to checking timing.
I installed a pointless Prestolite electronic ignition kit in 2003 and 2 degrees had to be added to the timing after the conversion over the stock point ignition timing. Cut off engine and recrank several times to be sure timing is set properly. A ill starting engine is a good indication the timing may be off some. A properly timed Ford will crank instantly like a Chevy most always does!

minimadfish
04-04-2006, 04:04 AM
Would anyone know the BTDC for Indmar year 2000? Having problems adjusting the timing here in Malaysia. Thanks!

JimN
04-04-2006, 04:29 AM
Base timing is 10 BTDC, but the motor needs to be in diagnostic mode to defeat spark stabilization. If you have a scan tool, you can do this and then raise the RPM to 1000 to check or reset the timing. Your profile shows that you have the Predator motor with TBI. If you have a different boat now, with multiport injection, you won't be able to change the timing since it would have the Northstar ignition.

Why do you want to check or change the timing? Do you have performance issues?

josephjulius
05-30-2006, 11:15 PM
I put in breakerless points last summer - seemed to work out great. In checking the timing over the winter however, I found that my 1986 with 351 Indmar has a distributor that I can't rotate. I have taken off the retaining bolt but the distributor still won't budge. It must be rusted in place. Any ideas on freeing it?? The engine runs fine except it won't idle after coming off full throttle. It will idle once restarted.

JimN
05-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Give the base a squirt of penetrating oil. I prefer PB Blaster. Let it soak in for a while and try to loosen it.