PDA

View Full Version : Speeding!

kalanic
03-16-2006, 03:46 PM
This dude is nuts..I wanna see the price of the ticket! Fastest I ever got was 85 in a 65. Man Hit 155 MPH On Motorcycle, Troopers Say

POSTED: 9:08 am PST March 14, 2006

LIVINGSTON, La. -- Brian Samuel Willis is in the cooler, accused by troopers of setting a blistering speeding record.

Louisiana Trooper Ryan Riley said Willis was clocked doing 155 mph on Interstate 12, more than double the speed limit of 70.

Riley said there are no formal records kept, but no one can remember anyone who was caught going faster.

Willis was jailed Sunday, with a bond hearing set for Tuesday.

According to Riley, Willis told troopers he thought he was only doing about 120 mph on his black Yamaha R6 motorcycle.

Riley said Willis pulled over once he realized state police were after him.

Sodar
03-16-2006, 03:55 PM
I was in traffic school with a guy who got caught on a motorcyle speeding around 130. I guess since the cop cars can not keep up with the bike they use a helicopter. One more thing that I did not know, and I could be a complete fool for evening believing this, but I heard that there is a way to calculate speed from the air by using the dotted lines on the road. Has anyone heard this?

east tx skier
03-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Got tagged for 92 in a 55 once. Got deferred adjudication.

kalanic
03-16-2006, 03:58 PM
I heard of that & also them using side markers on the freeway..

etduc
03-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Got tagged for 92 in a 55 once. Got deferred adjudication.

I got tagged for 59 in a 55!

I guess you carry, that special get out of jail card.

milkmania
03-16-2006, 04:09 PM
One more thing that I did not know, and I could be a complete fool for evening believing this, but I heard that there is a way to calculate speed from the air by using the dotted lines on the road. Has anyone heard this?

never heard dotted lines, but have heard milemark clocking.

east tx skier
03-16-2006, 04:12 PM

I guess you carry, that special get out of jail card.

Not exactly. I was in college at the time. I drove to Burton, TX and talked until they got tired and threw me a bone.

In Houston, there was a lawyer that would handle other lawyers' traffic tickets for free though. It was a nice perk. No defensive driving. No deferred adjudication. He either got it thrown out, took it to trial and won, or you paid it. I never had to pay one.

rodltg2
03-16-2006, 04:16 PM
ive " heard " certain of lawyers, who if you pay enough , will guarantee getting a DUI thrown out..

etduc
03-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I heard of that & also them using side markers on the freeway..

Yep, mile markers.
1 mile in 60 seconds. = 60mph. 30 seconds =120mph

JimN
03-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Sodar- the broken line isn't a valid way to check speed but theu usually have other markings that are at a specific distance and if they're overhead, they can time you and calculate the speed. If they're on an angle that's close to verticle, they can get pretty close, but unless they have extremely accurate equipment that proves you were going that fast, it won't stick. They can, however, shoot video with time code and prove it that way. That has resolution to the 1/100th of a second.

etduc
03-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Not exactly. I was in college at the time. I drove to Burton, TX and talked until they got tired and threw me a bone......

Translation:

Eastie - "Well, judge it's like this. I was minding my on business. Oh, let me show pictures of the boat, I'll someday have....yada,yada....

Judge - (Saying to himself, "This boy won't ever quit talkin'. Probably owns a 'bu. Don't think I can take another hour, of this.) Time for lunch.
We'll, defur this till a later time.

8p

LakePirate
03-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Yesterday I went to traffic court to fight a 70 in a 55 in a small town here in Georgia. They did not have the required signs posted to be able to use radar equipment. I printed off my Georgia Code and sat in court for 3 hours. When the deputy got there he saw the ticket and they called me over to the side and he said that he was going to drop the charge because of some signs that are not there. I told him that is why I was there. I actually won. Pretty amazing, I was fully prepared to get shafted and have to pay the fine.

I know that there are some counties in Georgia that use airplanes to monitor speed control and they dispatch out squad cars to initiate the stops. Like JimN says they have markings on the sides of the highway that they use. Gwinnett County uses this method on I-85 so be careful if you are traveling through there.

east tx skier
03-16-2006, 05:12 PM
ive " heard " certain of lawyers, who if you pay enough , will guarantee getting a DUI thrown out..

At least in Texas, lawyers are ethically prohibitted from guaranteeing results.

east tx skier
03-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Translation:

Eastie - "Well, judge it's like this. I was minding my on business. Oh, let me show pictures of the boat, I'll someday have....yada,yada....

Judge - (Saying to himself, "This boy won't ever quit talkin'. Probably owns a 'bu. Don't think I can take another hour, of this.) Time for lunch.
We'll, defur this till a later time.

8p

No boat at the time, but yeah, that's about right. Paid a pretty penny to keep that one off my record.

Ric
03-16-2006, 05:18 PM
I was in traffic school with a guy who got caught on a motorcyle speeding around 130. I guess since the cop cars can not keep up with the bike they use a helicopter. One more thing that I did not know, and I could be a complete fool for evening believing this, but I heard that there is a way to calculate speed from the air by using the dotted lines on the road. Has anyone heard this?
ummm I would have wanted to see the ticket if I were in traffic school with a joker who said he got caught speeding at 130. SOmething tells me the honorable blu-blub-blaaahh would have disallowed traffic school as an option for a ticket like that. I'm just that way about bs.. there is alot of that in houston as well 8p

etduc
03-16-2006, 05:26 PM
No boat at the time, but yeah, that's about right. Paid a pretty penny to keep that one off my record.

Just jerkin' yer chain a bit.

THREAD-JACK - Forgot to email you. and other ArkLatex guys.
Went by Perky Power Plant Lake (Hallsville,TX), last week. Water is at regular levels.
No launching problems. Didn't get water temp. Stay away on windy days, as lake doesn't have any wind (trees) brake. Plus, wind blows thru mine area first, giving you a good sand blasting. End of Jack.

east tx skier
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Further jack. Caddo is at about early to mid summer levels. We were out and skiing last weekend. I estimate water was in the low to mid 60s. We skied in board shorts, no wetsuit.

Looking for more rain this weekend.

NORTHERN LIGHTS
03-16-2006, 05:32 PM
1988 got stopped doing 125mph in an iroc camaro. Young punk from maine in georgia. long story short-2 troopers kick my *ss 4 about 5 minutes and relieved me of 500$ cash. told me to never come back. I got the message.
boy the stupid things you do when you are young...

Ric
03-16-2006, 05:34 PM
1988 got stopped doing 125mph in an iroc camaro. Young punk from maine in georgia. long story short-2 troopers kick my *ss 4 about 5 minutes and relieved me of 500$ cash. told me to never come back. I got the message.
probably worth every penny though huh?

SKI*MC
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
I got pulled over saterday, expired tags on the car. No ticket thankfully!

NORTHERN LIGHTS
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
probably worth every penny though huh?
every penny!
he said to me quote: you gonna like our jails boy! (then punched me in the face) I hit the ground and he stepped over me and said "unless we can come to some sort of arrangement.
I though i was in some sort of movie-- this sh*t really happens!!!
(again, i was 18. dumb-dumb-dumb)

michael freeman
03-16-2006, 05:51 PM
ummm I would have wanted to see the ticket if I were in traffic school with a joker who said he got caught speeding at 130. SOmething tells me the honorable blu-blub-blaaahh would have disallowed traffic school as an option for a ticket like that. I'm just that way about bs.. there is alot of that in houston as well 8p

Funny thing is most cops that I have passed going over a hundred on the sport bike don't even attempt to give me a ticket. All they would have to do is turn on their lights and I would pull over, but I guess most bikes run so they don't even bother.

100-120mph on a sport bike is nothing. I can drift up to that speed without even realizing, but I try to keep it within 20mph of speed limit.

If you see the judge he/she can allow you to take traffic school for 130, but that is not the norm. I think 25 mph over is the highest that is allowed without seeing the DA or going to court. I had a 88 in a 45 and it was defered for 180 days and a stiff fine (but less then ticket).

michael freeman
03-16-2006, 05:57 PM
every penny!
he said to me quote: you gonna like our jails boy! (then punched me in the face) I hit the ground and he stepped over me and said "unless we can come to some sort of arrangement.
I though i was in some sort of movie-- this sh*t really happens!!!
(again, i was 18. dumb-dumb-dumb)

Had one of the girls in my sport bike club pushed off her bike, and thrown on the hood of the car. They then put her in jail, stepped on her paperwork to prevent her from posting bail before the weekend and wouldn't allow her to take meds she needed to take.

It was thrown out after a lot of money was spent fighting and about 30 days of her sweating a court date.

If a cop punched me in the face I would do what was needed at the time, but I would have reported him the next day. That isn't right. Oh and $500 cash is a lot cheaper then taking it to court, but as soon as he punched you in the face the ticket was worthless. ... assuming you the judge believes your side of the story.

NORTHERN LIGHTS
03-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Had one of the girls in my sport bike club pushed off her bike, and thrown on the hood of the car. They then put her in jail, stepped on her paperwork to prevent her from posting bail before the weekend and wouldn't allow her to take meds she needed to take.

It was thrown out after a lot of money was spent fighting and about 30 days of her sweating a court date.

If a cop punched me in the face I would do what was needed at the time, but I would have reported him the next day. That isn't right. Oh and $500 cash is a lot cheaper then taking it to court, but as soon as he punched you in the face the ticket was worthless. ... assuming you the judge believes your side of the story.
I was in georgia!!! I'm from maine- who am i going to report it too?
They would laugh at me and punch me again.- I just got the hell out of there. Like you said-iprobably got off easy for 500. Steaks on me for the good ole' boys in georgia for that month!!
Funny part is that I was warned by my dad not to screw around down south.
I just ran into a couple boys who saw an opportunity-and a payday!
Me being the northern yankee, well that's how it goes-- lesson learned!
p.s.-the girl on the bike--that's not right either--

Maristar210
03-16-2006, 07:33 PM

YUP....... ;)

Sodar
03-16-2006, 08:12 PM

You are probably right, but what made me think the guy could have been close to telling the truth was because it was not a basic traffic school class; It was "second offender" traffic school, which is 40 hours of classroom, rather than the basic 8 hours and you had to have the judge's permission to go... I don't know. Its like my dad's best friend always says, "it does not need to be the truth, it just needs to be enertaining!" ( Can you tell he is a salesman!!) HA HA

AirJunky
03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
I played poker with a Montana State Patrolman a few weeks ago. When he told me what he did for a living, I asked him a few questions about speeding in MT. Basically, anything under about 30 over is a $ 25 - $55 ticket, payable to the cop at the time or the judge on Monday. He said it's amazing where people will find $55 to get out of going to jail. They take checks, Visa, & MC.

A buddy of mine took his Porsche 944 to MT a few years ago, specifically to run it as fast as possible. Got up to 189 mph & snapped a picture of the speedo. :steering:

Fastest I ever saw was 145 on I-90 between Issaquah & Bellevue back before there was traffic.... in a buddies '70 Firebird, 400, 4 sp. 2.92 rear end. Took a while to get there but that car love to haul a$$!!

Maristar210
03-16-2006, 08:47 PM
A buddy of mine took his Porsche 944 to MT a few years ago, specifically to run it as fast as possible. Got up to 189 mph & snapped a picture of the speedo. :steering:

Porsche nut here calling bu!!****. 944 has a inline four cylinder that struggled to hit 110. Unless it was highly modified or another model all together it did not happen. Sorry AJ

André
03-16-2006, 09:29 PM
944 turbo will do 260 kmh...
about 160 mph.

michael freeman
03-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I was in georgia!!! I'm from maine- who am i going to report it too?
They would laugh at me and punch me again.- I just got the hell out of there. Like you said-iprobably got off easy for 500. Steaks on me for the good ole' boys in georgia for that month!!
Funny part is that I was warned by my dad not to screw around down south.
I just ran into a couple boys who saw an opportunity-and a payday!
Me being the northern yankee, well that's how it goes-- lesson learned!
p.s.-the girl on the bike--that's not right either--

First I wanted to say, if I was young and this happen to me, I probably would have done the same thing.

But if a police officer crosses the line you report him to the police. In your case, I would have left the area and write off the cash. Then I would go to the next city and file a report with that city's PD. They could get pictures of you and record the unlawful action. Bad cops piss me off and should be removed from the Police force.

shepherd
03-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Some guy told me once that he got a warning at a tollbooth based on the time it took him to get there from the last toll booth -- the time stamped on the ticket.

I don't know... True story? Anybody had the same experience? I can see how it's possible.

Maristar210
03-16-2006, 10:19 PM
944 turbo will do 260 kmh...
about 160 mph.

You are correct. A "turbo" will do about 160 (157) but 189MPH is Porsche 959 territory no matter what anyone says, I still call BS. I had a V8 928 and I know these things get sketchy over 140. If he made 189 then my McLaren topped 230 :eek:

Steve

atlfootr
03-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Clocked @ 155 MPH
Speed Limit 70 MPH

Difference of 85 MPH

Said to of thought doing about 120 MPH
Posted Speed Limit was still 70 MPH

Difference of 50 MPH

As if, that's any less dangerous :noface:
Guess, you'd have a few more extremeties attached when they scraped you off the highway.

Went to look up any article re: speeding story above and found this ..
Just goes to prove my point :rant:
Cycle Rider Killed In Collision With Patrol Car
Livingston Enterprise (http://www.livingstonenterprise.net/)

78skier
03-16-2006, 11:51 PM
I must be both stupid and lucky because I got stoped I was doing 115 in a 45 good for me the two cops where not in there car nice night well 4:00 in the morning no one else on the road at the time. I told the cop I did not know how fast I was going he never clocked me but I did agree on a tickit for 70 in a 45.

However my friend much stupider 130 on his R6 rater than stop he took off cops set up road block. A cop jumped out in front of him and my friend hit him not going all that fast but he did go to jail and lost his license for one year and probation for 2 years.

maristarman
03-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Some guy told me once that he got a warning at a tollbooth based on the time it took him to get there from the last toll booth -- the time stamped on the ticket.

I don't know... True story? Anybody had the same experience? I can see how it's possible.

Probably a true story.

I have relatives that have gotten tickets in New Jersey this way.

They still drive fast, now they just make sure they stop at a rest stop or two when passing through.

shepherd
03-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Made several trips between DC and Orlando. My record was around 12 hours. Averaged about 75 miles per hour, including fuel/food/bathroom stops, including one stretch where I joined a "convoy" of about 6 cars going 95 mph for 120 miles straight along the entire length of GA and some of SC. Fun trip, driving solo with the tunes blasting in my new '96 Impala SS. My wife was surprised and suspicious when I arrived home about 3 hours earlier than expected. :rolleyes:

Currently working on my "record" between Panama City and Orlando. So far, it's 5 1/4 hours -- about 75mph average. (It would be faster, but I have to drive 55 miles before I get to the interstate, which takes about an hour)

6ballsisall
03-17-2006, 12:19 AM
I did Greeley, CO to Salt Lake City, UT once in 5 hours and 7 minutes. This was about 5 years ago, my average speed was just over 100 mph. Lots of fun in my supercharged F150 :D

shepherd
03-17-2006, 12:23 AM
I did Greeley, CO to Salt Lake City, UT once in 5 hours and 7 minutes. This was about 5 years ago, my average speed was just over 100 mph. Lots of fun in my supercharged F150 :D

Cool jr. I'd like to do that on my runs to Orlando, but I don't want to push my luck too far. I hear the troopers down here in the South will punch you in the nose for that! :rolleyes: :noface:

shepherd
03-17-2006, 12:30 AM

I got pulled over on I95 in Georgia once with the wife in the car, doing 85 in a 65. It was a double -- one cop pulled over me and the kid in the car that I was following. The Georgia trooper saw the way my wife was looking at me, took pity, and wrote me a ticket for doing 72 or something, the whole time making the kid in the other car wait. Cop called me "sir" and treated me nice. As I drove off, the cop was walking to the kid's car to take care of him. I think the cop was cracking his knuckles while he walked. And, I'm not sure, but I think the car had Maine license plates. 8p

Farmer Ted
03-17-2006, 12:34 AM

not the dotted lines, there are white spots (circles about two feet wide) painted on interstates (at least in Iowa) they time you from dot to dot and calculate your speed off of how long it took you to get to and fro....

AirJunky
03-17-2006, 03:13 AM
Porsche nut here calling bu!!****. 944 has a inline four cylinder that struggled to hit 110. Unless it was highly modified or another model all together it did not happen. Sorry AJNo sweat, I'll see if I can dig up the picture. I've been in the car when it did car more than 110 though so you'd better check your stats.

bigmac
03-17-2006, 08:14 AM
September 2004, a Minnesota State Trooper in an airplane clocked a guy on a modified Honda RC51 at 205.11 mph on Minnesota highway US 51. The guys' father is a deputy sheriff in the next county over. News story HERE (http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-09-21-speeder_x.htm)

Pretty impressive, but I gotta say that at those speeds, a couple of tenths-of-a-second stopwatch error could have significant effect on the final number. Even so, the State Patrol stood by the ticket.

http://mccollister.info/speed.gif

NORTHERN LIGHTS
03-17-2006, 08:56 AM
I got pulled over on I95 in Georgia once with the wife in the car, doing 85 in a 65. It was a double -- one cop pulled over me and the kid in the car that I was following. The Georgia trooper saw the way my wife was looking at me, took pity, and wrote me a ticket for doing 72 or something, the whole time making the kid in the other car wait. Cop called me "sir" and treated me nice. As I drove off, the cop was walking to the kid's car to take care of him. I think the cop was cracking his knuckles while he walked. And, I'm not sure, but I think the car had Maine license plates. 8p
good one :D

michael freeman
03-17-2006, 08:58 AM
September 2004, a Minnesota State Trooper in an airplane clocked a guy on a modified Honda RC51 at 205.11 mph on Minnesota highway US 51. The guys' father is a deputy sheriff in the next county over. News story HERE (http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-09-21-speeder_x.htm)

Pretty impressive, but I gotta say that at those speeds, a couple of tenths-of-a-second stopwatch error could have significant effect on the final number. Even so, the State Patrol stood by the ticket.

http://mccollister.info/speed.gif

205!? That must have been a highly modified RC51 to get even close to that number. My honda 929 (old liter bike) will do 180s w/ a professional rider that tucks in very tight and clean (i.e., not me). Drag vs Velocity is V^2 so that extra 25mph on the top would take huge amounts of HP to overcome.

BTW, it is all about the curves with sport bikes. Anybody can go fast in a straight line. ;)

NORTHERN LIGHTS
03-17-2006, 09:02 AM
blink wrong @205 and your mush.
did about 155 once in my vette. used walkie talkie's to clear the road ahead. fast enough--I'm to old for that horsesh*t anymore

bigmac
03-17-2006, 09:29 AM
205!? That must have been a highly modified RC51 to get even close to that number. My honda 929 (old liter bike) will do 180s w/ a professional rider that tucks in very tight and clean (i.e., not me). Drag vs Velocity is V^2 so that extra 25mph on the top would take huge amounts of HP to overcome.

BTW, it is all about the curves with sport bikes. Anybody can go fast in a straight line. ;)

Yeah, there was some controversy about the accuracy of the guy with the stopwatch. They did question the owner of the shop that modified the Honda and he said it was possible with that particular bike. Nevertheless, there's certainly reason to be skeptical, IMHO. Timing someone going that fast agains a couple of marks on the side of the highway from an airplane seems to be a little dicey. Even if the trooper was off by 50 mph, though, the rider was charged with reckless driving rather than speeding and even 150 mph is enough to get you there.

michael freeman
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
I've done 150ish on my bike and 145 in a Trans Am.

The Trans Am was floaty and dangerous. The bike feels much better at high speeds, but wind buffeting makes it a lot harder to see the road. I had a top of the line race helmet at the time and was tucked under the small windshield and it was like looking down a vibrating tunnel. Everything beside me was blurry and the center view was very ruff. I then hit a very slight dip in the road and flew several yards with my wheels an inch or two off the ground and realized I needed to end my little speed run.

I still ride fast on Sunday morning rides, but I leave the 10/10 riding for the track where I have run offs and an ambulance standing buy… and no cage drivers that will run me down. ;)

Brent
03-17-2006, 09:48 AM

hacker
03-17-2006, 10:30 AM

WOW, that's just totally harsh! Never heard of anyone even being pulled over at only 4 above!

6ballsisall
03-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Cool jr. I'd like to do that on my runs to Orlando, but I don't want to push my luck too far. I hear the troopers down here in the South will punch you in the nose for that! :rolleyes: :noface:

In Wyoming the Highway patrol pass you if your doing 90 in a 75 and get pissed at you for driving to slow! :D

Funny thing was when we got back I was talking to one of my uncles about the road trip and not getting a ticket etc.... He and his family drove to Salt Lake about a month later from Denver. He got a nasty ticket in Wyoming for doing 92 in a 75 :rolleyes:

captkidd
03-17-2006, 03:13 PM
No sweat, I'll see if I can dig up the picture. I've been in the car when it did car more than 110 though so you'd better check your stats.
Having owned a 944 I'm sure it will do more than 110, but not 189 with a stock engine, and probably not with a single turbo. Photo or no photo. Besides, I doubt that the speedo registers more than 140 or 160, so how did he come up with 189?

AirJunky
03-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Having owned a 944 I'm sure it will do more than 110, but not 189 with a stock engine, and probably not with a single turbo. Photo or no photo. Besides, I doubt that the speedo registers more than 140 or 160, so how did he come up with 189?
Yea, I don't doubt the speedo accuracy, or lack of it! But it's was gawddamn fast, thats for sure!!! Heres a pic of the car. Still looking for the speedo. It was a few years ago...... before digital cameras. :steering:

Ric
03-18-2006, 09:30 AM
back to the tollway timer..

How'd they know how long it took him? He have an ez pass? If they start that shidd here I'll be paying cash for tolls from then on! (or at least half of them :rolleyes: )

JEREMY79
03-18-2006, 11:20 AM
I hit 147 on my bike. That was all I wanted. Could have gone faster just didnt want to.

flipper
03-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I have hit over 160, not sure how fast, that is how high the speedo goes. That was enough though.

captkidd
03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Yea, I don't doubt the speedo accuracy, or lack of it! But it's was gawddamn fast, thats for sure!!! Heres a pic of the car. Still looking for the speedo. It was a few years ago...... before digital cameras. :steering:
That's a 944 Turbo, which gives a little more credence to his claim. It also appears to have aftermarket rotors and calipers, so maybe he modified the engine also. Not saying it didn't happen, just being my usual skeptical self. Good looking car though.

AirJunky
03-20-2006, 05:43 PM
I talked to the owner/driver this weekend for a bit. He's long since lost the pic of the speedo he took that day. So whether it be the fact that there are no pics or the speedo accuracy, that story will remain just a story.
Then he told me that he passed a Honda like it was standing still. Wonder if the Porsche flying by would blow the little car around a bit. The guy must of crapped his drawers!

Ric
03-20-2006, 06:00 PM
back to the tollway timer..

How'd they know how long it took him? He have an ez pass? If they start that shidd here I'll be paying cash for tolls from then on! (or at least half of them :rolleyes: )

urban legend???????????????????