PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into Bicycling...

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Softride Fastt (http://www.softride.com/product.asp?p=15)
This one is only $3200.00.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Trek Madone SSLX (http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1470000&f=1)

This one is only $10,000

LakePirate
03-16-2006, 09:37 AM
I am suing, discrimination against big boned people.

*Note: the FASTT beam has a maximum rider weight limit of 200lbs.

Sodar
03-16-2006, 09:46 AM
I was really into Mountain biking for a while. I was sponsored by Oakley in the Junior Boys Division through high school. I have since sold off my bikes because I do not have time anymore. In my opinion, biking is one of the best cross-training sports for waterskiing.

JimN
03-16-2006, 09:47 AM
You'd think that for 10 grand they'd put pedals on it.

TonyB
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I was a Cat III racer back in the 80's.

I'm old school. My Bianchi still has the brake cables flapping around in the wind, just 12 speeds, and toe clips.

And that bike was hella trick when I bought it. Bikes these days don't even look like bikes.

It's the tri-athletes and the time-trialers fault.

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

LakePirate
03-16-2006, 09:59 AM
My Bianchi still has the brake cables flappping around as well, and the gear shifters are on the down tube. That thing kicks my arse.

Leroy
03-16-2006, 10:00 AM
I have basically this softride. They do ride smooth, but want to sell now. Not a good commuter, 170psi 26" tires, speedplay pedals.

I commuted to work today and yesterday!

TonyB
03-16-2006, 10:03 AM
I have basically this softride. They do ride smooth, but want to sell now. Not a good commuter, 170psi 26" tires, speedplay pedals.

YEH YOU! GET OFF MY LAWN!!

{Dang kids - why don't they get a buick?}

Leroy
03-16-2006, 10:20 AM
THis is my commuter bike now!

Leroy
03-16-2006, 10:22 AM
That is the best think on a bike is those great shortcuts! Sorry about your flowers mister... 8p

YEH YOU! GET OFF MY LAWN!!

jrcarte78
03-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I think I can still ride a bike....... :confused:

JimN
03-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, you know the saying- "Once you learn to fall off a bike, you never forget".

PendO
03-16-2006, 05:13 PM

leroy, you have mail

Ric
03-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Bicycling isn't really big around houston... I wonder why? :rolleyes:

michael freeman
03-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Bicycling isn't really big around houston... I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Really, DFW area has a few bicycle tours/races. Biggest problem I see is traffic wanting to run you down while training, but the tours are usually reasonably safe.

Distance from home to work is usually too far in most Texas cities and bike routes do not exist outside of the burbs. (i.e., HWYs between home and work make it impossible to ride a bike)

Honkytonk
03-16-2006, 06:09 PM
I bought me and my wife a couple mountain bikes last summer so we could go ride outdoors on some trails. Its a ton of fun and great exercise. Cant wait for the days to be a little longer here in Arkansas so I can go riding after work. Ride On! :headbang:

SKI*MC
03-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Me and my dad bikeride ALOT in the summer. We do it to work out, i kinda gave it up this winter, but when summer rolls back around, i will be back to riding my 11 miles a day.

rodltg2
03-16-2006, 06:45 PM
i go 10speeding every so often to get some exercise...

PendO
03-16-2006, 09:58 PM
So ... any of you cyclists read VeloNews ... the march edition had another Tyler Hamilton story ... just hoping for a 2006 cycling season w/o americans doping

PendO
03-16-2006, 10:01 PM
I was a Cat III racer back in the 80's.

I'm old school. My Bianchi still has the brake cables flapping around in the wind, just 12 speeds, and toe clips.

And that bike was hella trick when I bought it. Bikes these days don't even look like bikes.

It's the tri-athletes and the time-trialers fault.

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

C'mon Tony, go get yourself a full carbon frame ... :)

TonyB
03-16-2006, 11:45 PM
C'mon Tony, go get yourself a full carbon frame ... :)
'If it doesn't have a "Reynolds 531" sticker on the seat tube it's not a real manly man's bike.'

(.....He says as he pulls lycra bib shorts over over his freshly shaved legs.)

RexDog1
03-17-2006, 12:27 PM
C'mon Tony, go get yourself a full carbon frame ...

:)

I 2 this

Carbon Frame is the only way to go, I have a Kestrel Talon SL
I have been biking for 25 years now and after I road a Carbon Frame
I will never go back to an Aluminum Frame yes that are pricey
But it is well worth it in the long run :twocents:

Eagle
03-17-2006, 01:45 PM
So ... any of you cyclists read VeloNews ... the march edition had another Tyler Hamilton story ... just hoping for a 2006 cycling season w/o americans doping
Yep, I subscribe to Velonews. The Tyler story is sad. I really want to believe Tyler but the evidence doesn't look too good.

This could be Floyd Landis' year.

I've been to watch the Tour five of the last seven years, but not going this year. I love bike riding in Europe.

My road ride is a Merlin Extralight. My trail bike is an Ellsworth Truth and I have dh bike for the park at Whistler.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-19-2006, 09:40 PM
I bought me and my wife a couple mountain bikes last summer so we could go ride outdoors on some trails. Its a ton of fun and great exercise. Cant wait for the days to be a little longer here in Arkansas so I can go riding after work. Ride On! :headbang:
What bikes did you get?

flipper
03-19-2006, 09:46 PM
I bought a couple mountain bikes about a year ago also. I think we rode them twice. Seem to like the ones with engines better. They go easier.

JimN
03-19-2006, 10:30 PM
TonyB- you want a man's bike? Try riding a Schwinn Varsity. I had one of those most of the way through high school and it just about killed me. Then, I rode my brother's Raleigh Grand Prix and didn't want to ride my Schwinn dump truck anymore. Next, I bought a Motobecane, which was incredibly stiff and weird feeling. That was stolen and I bought a Trek 400, with chrome-moly frame, which I still have and made it into a hybrid (the roads around here aren't for the squeamish). I went to a local shop Friday since Kryptonite still hasn't replied to my inquiry about my lock replacement and looked at some of the new mountain bikes. Amazing how much of a bike can be bought for under $250 now.

Nice to see that a Trek 400 (similar vintage) just went for $207 yesterday. That's not much less than I paid for mine and mine is in better shape than that one. Any takers? I have the OEM crank set, drop bars, etc. Nice bike if the roads are smoother than here. Winter kicks the crap out of them.

Larryp
03-19-2006, 10:48 PM
i ride a lot, got a restored 1981 gt 26" cruiser and 1998 mongoose pro with the ritchey tubing and all xt. If any of you guys were into bmx back in the '70's you should check the price on what that goes for on ebay. whenever an old fmf comes up, which is never it will go for at least 3000 grand.check this one out.http://cgi.ebay.com/redline-squareback-complete-old-school-bmx_W0QQitemZ6613982150QQcategoryZ35960QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

stumbledog
03-20-2006, 05:32 AM
i ride a lot, got a restored 1981 gt 26" cruiser and 1998 mongoose pro with the ritchey tubing and all xt. If any of you guys were into bmx back in the '70's you should check the price on what that goes for on ebay. whenever an old fmf comes up, which is never it will go for at least 3000 grand.check this one out.http://cgi.ebay.com/redline-squareback-complete-old-school-bmx_W0QQitemZ6613982150QQcategoryZ35960QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That is crazy. I remember always wanting that bike. We would ride up to the bike shop and stare at it every week it seemed. Ended up with a Schwinn Scrambler (Paper route can only buy so much).

Looks like I still can't afford one.

sizzler
03-20-2006, 06:45 AM
i've got one of these...

http://www.electrabike.com/06_new/flash_index.html

the rat fink cruiser

atlfootr
03-20-2006, 07:46 AM
I bought a couple mountain bikes about a year ago.
I think we rode'em twice, ones with engines seem better. They go easier.I use to ride my mnt.bike all the time back home in North Georgia on black diamond trails, during winter months especially to build up endurance for barefoot races. Any really steep hills I couldn't make it up, I'd tie his leash around the frnt forks and let him pull me up 'em.

Now that we've just moved further South, (Winter Haven) I can foot ALL YEAR long .

Though still occasionally, for "fido's" enjoyment I'll climb on and take him for a run.
He really seems to enjoy that alot. BIG DOG's need excerise.
I'd say, that he's in better shape than I am - right now. :purplaugh

jraben8
03-20-2006, 08:57 AM
MTB singletrack is my winter training around here especially this year since it has rained so little until recently. I absolutely love it. There's no way I could ride the roads in DFW though. I'll take my chances against a non moving tree anytime. I think I'll win about 98% of the time. The other 2% I should have slowed down for...

JimN
03-20-2006, 09:52 AM
LarryP- if you look at that BMX bike, there are no bids on it and the Buy It Now price is usually pretty high compared with what it would realistically sell for.

Honkytonk
03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
What bikes did you get?

I bought a couple low end Fuji bikes. Didn't want to get anything too expensive since we were just starting out. It came down between Fuji and Giant. I should have bought myself the Giant and my wife the Fuji so we could compare the two. My biggest quirk with the bike is that I will be on a trail and come off of some air and when I land the pedals will hit the ground. Don't know if that happens a lot or the shocks on the bike suck. But other than good times.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-20-2006, 11:31 PM
I bought myself a Specialized Hard Rock Pro last year. It's alright. I should have bought the Cannondale I wanted.

I want a new one, still thinking at this point.