PDA

View Full Version : I just had to share-back on line at home!

Kevin 89MC
03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
While my work connection is lightning quick, we had a dial-up connection at home. Needless to say, I didn't do much surfing there! We upgraded our Mac to OS X 10.4, and couldn't get back on line. I'll be nice and just say their tech support did not really help, probably because it's a Mac. The wife was going crazy at home - couldn't even check e-mail.
To make a long story short, we just got DSL in our neighborhood (first ring suburb of Minneapolis, not exactly out in the sticks.) Didn't want cable, already have DirecTV. We took a small leap, and got the 256k DSL connection rather than the 1.5M speed (too much $ for now). The 256 is "pretty darn quick", sure beats the dial-up! Geez, sometimes I felt like I could get a catalog in the mail quicker than some websites would launch!
Anyways, just felt like letting some e-friends in on the celebration!
:toast:
I think I'll go crack open a real one . . .

erkoehler
03-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Congrats on the upgrade, I couldn't even imagine using dial up! :eek:

TMCNo1
03-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Kevin89MC, I'm with you brother, and I am presently feeling your old pain. We have dial up now and on the 22nd of March getting Time Warner Cable with full digital cable, complete package of digital phone service with unlimited long distance included and Road Runner DSL computer hookup for $13 more a month than we are paying individually now. I haven't been on computer long, but long enough to see I've been spinning my wheels with dial up, especially with no phone except cell while on the computer. Last month went $27 over on cell minutes because of it, so I'll probably come out cheaper in the long run, all things considered! :D
When everyone goes High Tech we'll all have a Pirate Parrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty! Right UMP? :banana: :banana:

milkmania
03-15-2006, 08:53 PM
great to hear!!!

We actually had to campaign our local telephone compant to get DSL "in the sticks"!!!

A telephone installer buddy of mine gave me his work orders to have filled out....
his boss was going to give us 2 weeks to get 10 people that would commit to a 1 year contract.....then they would consider us for their next DSL drop at the quarterly big wig meeting............... I turned in 17 people in 5 days!

we got the drop about 3 months after that, but they had to add an ampliphile to the sub station in the nearest town to us, then brought it out here.....

I hooked up on 1.5 and upgraded to 3.0 as soon as I heard a rumor it was coming...39.95 a month. I'd upgrade once they got faster too.

another small town near us just got fiber to the door! that's a fiber connection to everyone's house:eek: I'm so green with envy

milkmania
03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Kevin89MC, I'm with you brother, and I am presently feeling your old pain. We have dial up now and on the 22nd of March getting Time Warner Cable with full digital cable, complete package of digital phone service with unlimited long distance included and Road Runner DSL computer hookup for $13 more a month than we are paying individually now. I haven't been on computer long, but long enough to see I've been spinning my wheels with dial up, especially with no phone except cell while on the computer. Last month went $27 over on cell minutes because of it, so I'll probably come out cheaper in the long run, all things considered! :D
When everyone goes High Tech we'll all have a Pirate Parrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty! Right UMP? :banana: :banana:

had a computer customer on
dial-up (slow speed)
dish network
southwestern Bell

Switched her over to
Cox Communications for Cable & Broadband
Vonage telephone communication

and she came out a few dollars a month cheaper!!!
for high speed cable modem, cable and vonage.

It made her day to tell SWB off

TMCNo1
03-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm gonna let TWC do the Bell South song and :banana: dance, They port my tele. no. and everything, but takes 10 days and I think some time soon BS will get the message. Our 1 line home phone with blocked LD and no other services with close local is $16.45/mo.+taxes, fees, surcharges, 911 and :eek: KY Jelly = $28.69/mo. Can't wait! Tired of this 2 cans and a string crapola! :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Dial up? They still have that? I thought that went out with 8 track players. My Bad...;)

Leroy
03-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Great going Kevin!!!! Glad you can post in the same day now!!!

Granite_33
03-16-2006, 01:45 PM

I went with this about 1 year ago. You will definitely like it.
Was running a very, very old IBM thinkpad with dial up and PCMCIA card and wanted to upgrade.
The Time Warner people showed up and laughed at me when they saw what I had. They said that the Road Runner would not work on the computer. It was a tad old............
Of course now I have a new computer too.