View Full Version : Pets?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

bcampbe7
04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
No don't know him...
I was a Microbiology major.

jsonova99
04-22-2005, 02:32 PM
He better LOVE the boat because he won't have a choice. No, he already loves the water, but has not been exposed to a boat. We'll see how that goes next weekend.

My border collie took to it pretty quickly. I think the first time she was a little nervous at first. Onve we get going, she loves to bite at the wake coming up off of the side of the boat. Every once in a while one will catch her really good in the face and she run and jump in Mom's arms for a minute. The only thing I hate is that she won't rest, she's constantly running around the boat. Good way to tire them out though.

LakePirate
04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Unfortunatly due to the down turn of my personal economy prior to college I was unable to accecpt the invitation to attend the University of Tennessee...Broke My heart :cry: ....The out of state tuition was a whole lot more than free...(see HOPE Scholarship)So I had to drink my way through Georgia Southern. :toast:

east tx skier
04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I had posted a pic of my dog from last summer at the lake floating on a pool float. She was 14 years old and that was her last trip to the lake. She had to be put to sleep in Nov. She was so much like me, her biggest joy was seeing that boat being pulled out of the garage and equipment being loaded.

However it is time for a new baby in the house. I am now introducing Lexi.

Ron, I'm sorry about your loss. That's a beautiful new puppy. We lost our Golden to cancer after 7 years. I know how hard it is to put them down.

chfrogman
04-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Cooper and Lauren. :) This was taken last summer at the lake. They both love the boat and the water.

bradamerry
04-22-2005, 09:22 PM
That's a great pic!!! :D

Kell
04-23-2005, 12:36 AM
I had posted a pic of my dog from last summer at the lake floating on a pool float. She was 14 years old and that was her last trip to the lake. She had to be put to sleep in Nov. She was so much like me, her biggest joy was seeing that boat being pulled out of the garage and equipment being loaded.

However it is time for a new baby in the house. I am now introducing Lexi.

IMG_0138a

Ron,
I remember that picture as well and your comforting wishes when my Golden, Blazer, passed away last December. To this day I miss him so, but we have moved on and just picked up a yellow lab puppy last Friday. He is just a bundle of energy and I look forward to the day he is house trained and those needle teeth fall out! ;) And congrats on the new puppy, he looks adorable.

erkoehler
04-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Enjoy the time you have with your puppy, soon enough it will be alot bigger! They grow up so quick.

André
04-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Kell
So you finally picked up the puppy ! Congrats!
Guess what you have to do now ?

Kell
04-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Guess what you have to do now ?

Andre', you really are not going to make me guess are you! ;) The first couple of days were rough. No sleep for me, and I don't know why daddy gets delegated as house trainer. I've crate trained in the past, so I'm doing the same with Nike. After a couple of days of getting up every two hours to let him outside to pee, I'm exhausted. But last night was a break through.....he held it through the night, so I think we're past the worst part now. I hope......... :banana:

André
04-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Got picture of that pup ?

bradamerry
04-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Got picture of that pup ?
That's what I'm thinking!!! We like to see newbie's boats and everybody's dog!!!!

Kell
04-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Here is Nike, our newest addition to the family. Can't wait to see if he is a boat dog!:D

André
04-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Very nice puppy Kell!
Did you thought about a female at all ?
Nathalie said cute puppy and nice wife !!!

ski_king
04-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Cute pup Kell!
Looks like he is dog tired.

bradamerry
04-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Good looking pics Kell!!!! Andre' did say something about a wife :confused: , Toolman could be the best MAN!!!!! :banana:

Kell
04-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Toolman could be the best MAN!!!!! :banana:

Well I'm probably in hot water like Mag for posting an unauthorized photo of my wife, and in particular at 4:30 in the am. I'll be in the dog house with Nike this evening. Thank goodness the Toolman does not live near me! ;)

Kell
04-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Very nice puppy Kell!
Did you thought about a female at all ?
Nathalie said cute puppy and nice wife !!!

Andre', we did consider a female, but most of the females in the litter were spoken for, so we only had one choice of a female. Her coat, however, was much darker than the rest of the pups, and my daughter wanted a lighter color as she beleived it was more like a "princess". I'm just happy that she did not settle down on the name of Princess Muffin!

Ron Grover
04-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Kell,

Beautiful pup, but you better watch out for those red eyed people in the background. LOL

bcampbe7
04-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Beutiful puppy Kell! I sure the family is having a great time with the new addition.

dmac
04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Here is Nike, our newest addition to the family. Can't wait to see if he is a boat dog!:DI definately see a water dog - great photos.

jayocheskey
04-25-2005, 02:13 PM
I've showed you the puppy, now here he is with momma (my wife, Ally)

jayocheskey
04-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Here's one of Bowden with his real mother, our 3 year old yellow lab, Saedee, and also a nice close up of our pretty girl. She had 13 pups in her FIRST litter ever. We stayed busy for a couple of months!

jayocheskey
04-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Ron,
I remember that picture as well and your comforting wishes when my Golden, Blazer, passed away last December. To this day I miss him so, but we have moved on and just picked up a yellow lab puppy last Friday. He is just a bundle of energy and I look forward to the day he is house trained and those needle teeth fall out! ;) And congrats on the new puppy, he looks adorable.
I know what you mean about the "needle teeth" Check out this pic

dmac
04-25-2005, 02:38 PM
I know what you mean about the "needle teeth" Check out this picNeedle teeth and puppy breath - tons of fun! Great looking pups.

bcampbe7
04-25-2005, 02:46 PM
My wife and I were talking about getting our 3 year old lab a friend, but two dogs in the house may be too much to handle.

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 03:20 PM
That will leave a mark! :eek:

Jimmy O
04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
This is my dog Skipper. She is a 3 and half year old Irish water spaniel. Can't keep her out of the water or boat and she is a diver/ retreiver. She is an excellent bird dog.

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Gotta love those rock retrievers. Used to know of a lab who would get rocks off the bottom of the lake and pile them on her owner's lakefront property.

bcampbe7
04-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Gotta love those rock retrievers. Used to know of a lab who would get rocks off the bottom of the lake and pile them on her owner's lakefront property.

A lab that will build a retaining wall?!? They never cease to amaze me. :D

Ron Grover
04-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Jimmy,

That last rooster pic is my kind of dog. Where are you hunting, I'm in Kansas and go out west every fall to chase pheasants.

My old golden was good retreiving them, I'll wait to see if the new pup can be trained.

Ron

RackAtak
04-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Here's my knucklehead recovering from surgery performed on 4/25/05. Deformed leg so they had to go in and take an inch out of her ulna because it was not growing but the radius still was which resulted in her left foot kicking out at an odd angle. 6 to 8 week recovery period...thank goodness for good doggie drugs 8p That's a morphine patch on her rear leg :smile:

Jimmy O
04-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Ron, we hunt here in Saskatchewan in the southwest, south of Swiftcurrent along the creek. With Skipper it's a bonus when the birds fall in the water, as she will jump of the banks to retreive. Hunting is my passion along with skiing (snow and water) and hockey. I hear Kansas is great for pheasants. Good luck with your pup.

bucky
04-29-2005, 05:58 AM
This is my dog Skipper. She is a 3 and half year old Irish water spaniel. Can't keep her out of the water or boat and she is a diver/ retreiver. She is an excellent bird dog.

Your dog puts off a pretty decent looking wake!

JEREMY79
06-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Here is my new "kid" Only four legged ones for a while.
This is Gunner an 8 week old ARHA registed bluetick beagle.
Cant wait until hes old enough to start training.

bcampbe7
06-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Awesome looking dog Jeremy!

lakes Rick
06-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Before anyone tells me that "Rodman" is a dropkick dog, I had Great Danes for almost 20 years before I got him....

lakes Rick
06-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Try that again

X2M
08-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Do you think she is waiting for a ride? Must be a comfy spot. :)

X2M
02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
We have a new addition to our family, her name is Roxy. She is a 12 week old lab/border collie mix.
:)

X2M
02-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Roxy and Cooper learning to share toys.
:)

Danimal
02-01-2006, 04:06 PM
My wife and I are in the process of dog shopping. Currently we are looking for a reliable breeder of German Short Haired Pointers. I can't wait to get a new pup. It's been a long time.

jmyers
02-01-2006, 04:14 PM
I have a new one two!

jmyers
02-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Christmas morning! Santa brought Haley for him!

bcampbe7
02-01-2006, 04:21 PM
My wife and I are in the process of dog shopping. Currently we are looking for a reliable breeder of German Short Haired Pointers. I can't wait to get a new pup. It's been a long time.

I had an opportunity around Christmas time to get a purebred 8 week old German Shorthair for free! We have a 4 year old yellow lab and my wife did not want to have 2 dogs running around the house so we didn't bring her home.
I love German Shorthairs! :cool:

Danimal
02-01-2006, 04:25 PM
I love them too. I grew up bird hunting with one. I have seen GSH all brown/liver colored with no spots. I'd like to find a breeder in my area that breeds the solid color. I won't be showing the dog so I'm not too worried a non-conforming coat color.

Leroy
02-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Cute black lab jmyers, reminds me of two years ago!

Looks like the boy is a little deprived in this picture. We may have to take up a collection for him. ;)

Christmas morning! Santa brought Haley for him!

jmyers
02-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Cute black lab jmyers, reminds me of two years ago!

Looks like the boy is a little deprived in this picture. We may have to take up a collection for him. ;)
Yea that is my son Josh, he had a pretty tough Christmas! We also had 4 Chritmas's and his birthday is this Saturday! It was great at about 6:00 Christmas morning his new lab jumped into bed with him and couldn't figure out what is was because it was still dark and he was half asleep! Good times! :)

jayocheskey
02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Yea that is my son Josh, he had a pretty tough Christmas! We also had 4 Chritmas's and his birthday is this Saturday! It was great at about 6:00 Christmas morning his new lab jumped into bed with him and couldn't figure out what is was because it was still dark and he was half asleep! Good times! :)
The only problem with that "jumping in bed" part is when they get to be about 100 lbs and are still trying to do it. My wife and I have two labs - a yellow and a chocolate. They both slept in bed with us occasionally when they were pups. Now, they will try to sneak up into the bed from time to time.

jmyers
02-01-2006, 04:47 PM
The only problem with that "jumping in bed" part is when they get to be about 100 lbs and are still trying to do it. My wife and I have two labs - a yellow and a chocolate. They both slept in bed with us occasionally when they were pups. Now, they will try to sneak up into the bed from time to time.
I know what you are talking about! We have a 5 year old Choclate also and he is a little bigger now~! All we need noe is a Yellow, also have you herd of Silver's and Red labs?

BrianM
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I had an opportunity around Christmas time to get a purebred 8 week old German Shorthair for free! We have a 4 year old yellow lab and my wife did not want to have 2 dogs running around the house so we didn't bring her home.
I love German Shorthairs! :cool:
That's too bad. Great dogs although they have very long puppy stages.

I've got two of them and don't think I will ever own another breed. Awsome dogs although they can be a little high strung.
I love them too. I grew up bird hunting with one. I have seen GSH all brown/liver colored with no spots. I'd like to find a breeder in my area that breeds the solid color. I won't be showing the dog so I'm not too worried a non-conforming coat color.

Solid liver is actually a recognized color for the GSP by the AKC. They will have a small patch of white on their chest. The mother of my male GSP was solid liver. I prefer the heavy ticking though. Really makes them stand out in a crowd.

jayocheskey
02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Saedee & Bowden in the back yard.

jayocheskey
02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
puppy Bowden 1 year ago. He's a little bigger now.

Danimal
02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Solid liver is actually a recognized color for the GSP by the AKC. They will have a small patch of white on their chest. The mother of my male GSP was solid liver. I prefer the heavy ticking though. Really makes them stand out in a crowd.

Thanks for the info Brian. I was not aware of that. I like the ticking also but my wife doesn't care for it as much as I do. So, the solid liver color is a compromise so I can have my GSP.

Beautiful dogs in your avatar, btw.

BrianM
02-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Danimal,

Ever consider rescuing a GSP or do you have to have a puppy? Lots of GSPs out there looking for a home as they don't fit everyones lifestyle. Here is an all liver 7 month old male. http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5744702 and here is another http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5617142 or if you prefer a female http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5547085

My female was a 10 month old rescue puppy and has been great. they learn fast.

jmyers
02-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Danimal,

Ever consider rescuing a GSP or do you have to have a puppy? Lots of GSPs out there looking for a home as they don't fit everyones lifestyle. Here is an all liver 7 month old male. http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5744702 and here is another http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5617142 or if you prefer a female http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5547085

OMG I looked for labs in my zip code and found 450!! I wish I would have looked before! :confused:

Danimal
02-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Danimal,

I would consider it but my wife wants a puppy. I told her that they are so rambunctious that they act like puppies well into their second year. :D

Thanks for the links.

BrianM
02-01-2006, 05:09 PM
I told her that they are so rambunctious that they act like puppies well into their second year. :D

Try well into their fourth year. Did I mention that GSPs have a LONG puppy stage?

Danimal
02-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I remember them being a little spunky if they don't get the proper exercise. My Father says that he would have to run our GSP to the brink of exhaustion. He says that their energy is endless. 8p But, with that being said... they are a great family dog!

BrianM
02-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I remember them being a little spunky if they don't get the proper exercise. My Father says that he would have to run our GSP to the brink of exhaustion. He says that their energy is endless. 8p But, with that being said... they are a great family dog!
Yep !

Leroy
02-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Unlike ourselves....we are very good at keeping our black lab trim. She is about 65-68 pounds at 2 1/2 years old. Sleeps with us every night. More of a fight over who has the dog next to them! Definitely not like the 25 pound beagles I grew up with!

SOMEDAY SOON
02-01-2006, 05:52 PM
He was walking by and I shot this photo.... :headbang:

Ric
02-01-2006, 06:18 PM
We have a dog named yellow dog... He runs by now and then but doesnt stop

seaforth
02-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Caber, the gundog.

Ric
02-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Tiger, the dumdog

André
02-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Tiger, the dumdog
Is that the dog that was once "forgotten" at the campground??? ;) :guitar:

Nice dogs everyone!!!
We could certainly do a Lab calendar next year... :headbang:

Ric
02-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Is that the dog that was once "forgotten" at the campground??? ;) :guitar:

Nice dogs everyone!!!
We could certainly do a Lab calendar next year... :headbang:
good memory Andre. He is the one. Last week he tried to commit suicide because something caught his eye across the street and he went bolting..... RIGHT as a pickup was rolling by.... I swear he ran under the middle of the pickup as it went by :noface:

oh and he is the same one I left at home when I evacuated for the hurricane

kidding ump, just kidding

88 PS190
02-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Our watery jack russell terrier. Only issue with her is the insane barking at anything getting in or out of the boat.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/pb_hawkeye/DCP_1081.jpg

SteveO
02-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Tiger, the dumdog

Small dog, small wake, ..... what else can we say is small Ric?

Ric
02-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Small dog, small wake, ..... what else can we say is small Ric?
well I dunno but I am a bit homophobic steveo

firstmc
02-02-2006, 07:55 AM
This is Clyde my 2 yr old great dane. Just way to dam big for my boat (98 ps190). One hell of a fish finder though.....

oldschool84
02-02-2006, 09:33 AM
My 8 years old girl,Rexell...I know there is more Labs owners on the board,Leroy,Sully and others... :)
Have an eight year old Choc Lab named Phoenix he is one bad A** dog in the MARSH. Yea he might be alittle spoiled with two girls under the age of 4 around, he gets plenty of treats. Would post pics but I always have trouble with that stuff so maybe someday :rant:

BrianM
02-02-2006, 09:49 AM
This is Clyde my 2 yr old great dane. Just way to dam big for my boat (98 ps190). One hell of a fish finder though.....

Good looking Dane. My wife wants a Great Dane next time around.

Danimal
02-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Good looing Dane. My wife wants a Great Dane next time around.

I love the way a Dane looks but they are a little too big fom my tastes.

BrianM
02-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I love the way a Dane looks but they are a little too big fom my tastes.

We would definately need a bigger house before a Dane would be a possibility. Are house is cramped now with just the two of us and the two GSPs.

Danimal
02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I was actually considering a vizsla. Beautiful dogs and a managable size. Pretty hyper dog, though. Some friends have one and she is a ball of fire.

http://www.corsini.co.uk/fineart/images/prints/vizsla-js.jpg

Sodar
02-02-2006, 10:16 AM
This is my dog Sunny. She is a 12 year old golden retriever, who unfortunately has cancer in her back leg. She has been taking it like a champ though and was given 3 months to live over 2 years ago! Hopefully, she will keep going for another 2!

BrianM
02-02-2006, 10:28 AM
I was actually considering a vizsla. Beautiful dogs and a managable size. Pretty hyper dog, though. Some friends have one and she is a ball of fire.

http://www.corsini.co.uk/fineart/images/prints/vizsla-js.jpg

Very similar personality to the GSP. Everything I read says they are even more clingy to their people than a GSP though which is amazing my GSPs stick to me like glue. They want constant interaction with us.

Danimal
02-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Very similar personality to the GSP. Everything I read says they are even more clingy to their people than a GSP though which is amazing my GSPs stick to me like glue. They want constant interaction with us.

From what I've read about them, they can get separation anxiety pretty bad... Same as a Weineramer. (Another beautiful dog)

A quick question for you Brian... When hunting your dogs, how far ahead of you do they work? My father doesnt remember but he said that it was a very managable distance. Never too far ahead and never too close. I have heard that they usually work the field 60 to 70 feet ahead. Do you find this to be true?

BrianM
02-02-2006, 11:05 AM
A quick question for you Brian... When hunting your dogs, how far ahead of you do they work? My father doesnt remember but he said that it was a very managable distance. Never too far ahead and never too close. I have heard that they usually work the field 60 to 70 feet ahead. Do you find this to be true?

HaaaHaaa! The only things my dogs hunt are frogs, spiders and the couch. When I got my male I was originally going to hunt with him (quail in Arizona) but he turned out to be extremely gun shy. That combined with my lack of time equals couch potato. My female was a show queen reject (to tall).

That being said everything I have read and heard says they have a great medium range hunt distance. Great for a walking upland hunter.

Danimal
02-02-2006, 11:36 AM
hehe Thanks Brian. When I get my pup I will be taking him out shooting all the time. It would suck to get a gun shy bird dog. If I do... I might have to take up frog hunting also. 8p

SOMEDAY SOON
02-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I have a 2yr old wiemeramier and he is clingy to all family members always wants to know where everyone is... Geat dog lots of energy....

BrianM
02-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I might have to take up frog hunting also. 8p

Annie: 2005 Tree Frog Hunting Champion :D
In Action! She has one right under her nose!

Danimal
02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Beautiful dog... love the tickiing!

BrianM
02-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Beautiful dog... love the tickiing!

Thanks. We actually call her the ugly duckling. She is the show reject but we still love her. I think my male (Wyatt) is better looking.

LakePirate
02-02-2006, 12:38 PM
You need to get that dog some longer ears....

tex
02-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Jimmy Buffett

LakePirate
02-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Another Pic of Elvis the Giant Coon Dog

SteveO
02-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Does anyone own a Labradoodle (Labradoodles are sociable, friendly, non aggressive, and extremely intuitive. Their intelligence and high trainability make them well suited for guide dogs, therapy dogs, and other assistance dogs. Their non allergic coats make them popular among people who have not been able to enjoy pets because of their allergies) or Goldendoodle. I like the idea of a medium size dog that does not shed. Just thinking about getting back into the dog game again. All these pics make me miss having a 4 legged friend around the casa.

beef
02-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Does anyone own a Labradoodle

Here is a picture of my mine. Got her before Labradoodles were very popular. She is a very smart & friendly dog. I had a black lab before, so I can attest to how nice it is to now have a non-shedding dog. One other benefit: they do not smell like a dog. ever. Their fur is more like hair, non-oily and no smell at all. I've got plenty of pictures. Let me know if you'd like any more info about the breed.

rodltg2
02-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Jimmy Buffett
looks like old dog wilbur. man was he hyper

atlfootr
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Here's my dogster, Chaz :love:

André
02-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Looks like rod's avatar!
Intimidating!

Hoosier Bob
02-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Nothing like a good Rotty! :D What do you do if a Rottweiler is making friends with your leg? :D

and the answer is: Fake an or@*@*!

JEREMY79
02-02-2006, 08:41 PM
No bird dogs but here is my rabbit dog ARHA bluetick beagle named Gunner. He is mid circle on a rabbit.

Waketn
02-02-2006, 09:06 PM
My 109 lbs lab/doberman mix..

rodltg2
02-06-2006, 04:59 PM
sammy boy!

BeavenX5
02-07-2006, 10:46 AM
My 13 year old black lab. She is 60lb and still very active.

André
02-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Nice Lab JC! :love:
Mine is somewhere in this thread...

Just looked in it's gone with all those pix that were deleted... :(
Gonna have to start saving for a camera!

redmike
02-07-2006, 11:10 PM
my aussie mutt Kallie

1984StarsandStripes
02-08-2006, 09:44 AM
This is Machine Gun Annie as a pup. She just turned one in Jan and this past Duck Season (Oct-Nov, Dec) she retrieved her first ducks (getting the first one mounted a huge Mallard. She is great in the field and her water work is unbeviable. She has a great desire and she is steady on the shot. She picked up her first training double at 5 months, sure wish I could shoot a double on the water. :(

RexDog1
02-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Rex And Randy

BeavenX5
02-08-2006, 11:35 AM
This is Machine Gun Annie as a pup. She just turned one in Jan and this past Duck Season (Oct-Nov, Dec) she retrieved her first ducks (getting the first one mounted a huge Mallard. She is great in the field and her water work is unbeviable. She has a great desire and she is steady on the shot. She picked up her first training double at 5 months, sure wish I could shoot a double on the water. :(
Quite different attitude than my 13 year old lab (see tread #348). We never trained her for hunting... it was fun last year to see how she reacted when we brought the 2 baby ducks home. She looked at them for a few minutes with curiosity and the ignored them totally. She does not have the hunting instinct anymore...

1984StarsandStripes
02-09-2006, 09:43 AM
I have quite a bit of time wrapped up into training her but it is a lot of fun to see the rewards! She retrieved her first live bird at 10 weeks, gotta start them early! Once she got to the feathers she was hooked!

Ric
02-22-2006, 01:27 PM
dumdog making love to the kid's new stuffed toy

rodltg2
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Rex And Randy

those are very cool dogs!

richardsoncd
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM
My two boys....Rebel and Raja

richardsoncd
02-22-2006, 01:35 PM
One more of the boys in the kitchen

jayocheskey
03-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Holy Dog -

H20skeefreek
03-01-2006, 04:04 PM
looks like she's about to get 2 lbs. heavier.

bcampbe7
03-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Holy Dog -

That's great Jay!

Leroy
03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Cocoa cooling down after frisbee!

atlfootr
03-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Had to throw one in .. :dance:

Leroy
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
That is soooo wrong Ric!

thornappleWB
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Sophie waits anxiously for warmer weather.

atlfootr
03-21-2006, 11:14 PM
That is soooo wrong Ric!Maybe, but funny as h :purplaugh ll :uglyhamme

tommcat
03-22-2006, 07:37 AM
this is Cooper, he's an Alaskan Malamute. he weighs 120 pounds

atlfootr
03-22-2006, 07:45 AM
good look'n dog ...

Brent
03-22-2006, 07:54 AM

Jimmy O
03-22-2006, 08:19 AM
This is Skipper. She is an an excellent bird dog in holding, flushing and retreiving. She is an Irish Water Spaniel and lives for water. She is 4 years old

atlfootr
03-22-2006, 08:22 AM
I coudn't make it out .. sorry.

atlfootr
03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
How old's Shadow?
I owned 6 or 7 Rottie's before Chaz ( posted above)
oldest lived 14 yrs, his name was Bear.

mbeach
03-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Holy Dog -
jay -- what a priceless picture! don't lose it as your family and
son will enjoy it for a lifetime.

ksmaristar91
03-22-2006, 09:07 AM
This is Jersey, she is a 2 yr old weimaraner, and a complete mess! She is just starting to like the boat/water!

beef
03-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Always loved weimeraners. Yours looks a little crazy!

Brent
03-23-2006, 07:35 AM

atlfootr
03-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Shadow will be 6 in May & Cole will be 4!
I think Cole aged Shadow prematurely, always in his face & chewing on his ears.
Both are great dog's. :)Reason I asked, I had a rotti named "Bear," lived to be 14 yrs old.
He was the "Best Darn Dog" in the world, other than Chaz.

MarkP
03-25-2006, 08:15 PM
My 10 yr olds new pet..

Danimal
03-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, we finally pulled the trigger on our German Short Haired Pointer. We just put a deposit down for pick of the litter. Pups should be ready to come home mid June. They just bred her and are waiting to see if it took. We are really excited. We are going with a male. Current names in the running are Atticus or Finch... any other suggestions for a cool name for a male?

Kell
03-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Time for an updated picture of my yellow lab puppy Nike. He just turned one last week. I took him out to Liberty Lake for some bumper work and swiming today. Sunny day but I'm sure the water temp was cold.

André
03-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Nice pic Kell!
I like yellow Labs with pink nose...

jlf
03-27-2006, 07:21 PM
My 4 month old border collie, Shelby

jlf
03-27-2006, 07:22 PM
And another, I can't wait to get him on the water this summer.

André
03-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Nice puppy!
I heard boarder collie very dominating with other dogs.Are they?
Not sure if they're water dogs...

jlf
03-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Not so far, he is scared of most dogs yet until he gets to know them better. He plays pretty well with my brother in laws labs, better with the female than the male. So far he doesn't seem to mind the water, at least when we give him bath.

André
03-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Reason i was asking is one of the neighbors on the lake has an Australian sheppard or Collie(?) and my Lab can't get nowhere near this dog.
Maybe different then Border Collie caracter wise...
They are surely dominating around sheeps anyway!!!

jlf
03-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Reason i was asking is one of the neighbors on the lake has an Australian sheppard or Collie(?) and my Lab can't get nowhere near this dog.
Maybe different then Border Collie caracter wise...
They are surely dominating around sheeps anyway!!!
We have cows in the back yard and so far he hasn't gone after them, as he gets older though he is getting more and more brave. We will be putting in one of those invisible fences in as soon as the frost is out of the ground. Hopefully that will keep him from trying to heard the cows. He is full of energy though, no such thing as a nap for Shelby.

Leroy
03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Mark; What fish is that, bluegill? You are staying very quiet lately, all ok?

My 10 yr olds new pet..

Leroy
03-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Nice looking lab Kell! Are you planning on hunting with him?

Time for an updated picture of my yellow lab puppy Nike. He just turned one last week. I took him out to Liberty Lake for some bumper work and swiming today. Sunny day but I'm sure the water temp was cold.

tex
04-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I just got back from the vet. I had to put my 12 year old dalmation(Jimmy Buffett) down. It was very tough. He was old and had hip issues and the quality of life was just not there. My vet is an old skiing buddy/date that made it alot easier. We took him outside of her clinic in the country and put him down in the grass. It was very peaceful but still very hard to do. Margaritas in honer of JB tonight!

ski-aholic
04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
:cry:

I'm so sorry to hear about your old buddy Tex. Losing a pet/friend is never easy ...

Here's to J.B. :toast:

Ski-Aholic's Wife

atlfootr
04-11-2006, 04:33 PM
It was very peaceful but still very hard to do. Margaritas in honer of JB tonight!Sorry tex, I really do know how you feel. :(

Kell
04-11-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Tex. JB is beautiful dog, he had a full life, lots of love Tex. It does not make it any easier, but he will always be in your memories. I lost my 11 year old golden in 11/04 and I know how you feel. I still think of him to this day but I'm blessed for the memories and photographs I have of him. It took me quite some time to think about getting a new pup, but I have a puppy now and the relationship is completely different and takes nothing away from my memories of my pal, Blazer!

Here's to J.B.!

JEREMY79
04-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Tex sorry to hear that. that is rough dude, but he is better. I lost my female beagle two years ago in July. She went everywhere with me. It is like having a best friend that never leaves. I still think of her everyday when I get in the truck.

6ballsisall
04-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Man sorry to hear it Tex. JB is in a great place. Enjoy a few rita's and remember great times you have had with him. Great looking Dog.

bcampbe7
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Man that's tough to read Tex.
JB looked like a great friend.

Toast to JB! :toast:

LakePirate
04-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Tex - sorry to hear that man.

We had a loss in the family today as well. My parents beagle/daschund mix died today. She was 17 or so. My mother is pretty upset. I am going to miss her. Yesterday she ran a yellow lab out of the yard as her last hurrah. Today she had 2 episodes and finally passed at about a quarter to 7. They had a ceremony and buried her at the lake house.

6ballsisall
04-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Sorry to hear it LP. Sounds like the little guy had a good life of 17 years though. Pull up a chair at the TMC bar and enjoy a few on us.

bcampbe7
04-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Man, this is a heart breaking day!
Sorry to hear that Lake.

tex
04-11-2006, 10:53 PM
LP Sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks to everyone. It has been a rough day. My best friend called out of the blue and just happened to be on his way to my house. We enjoyed the ritas and toasting to what a great dog he was. Everyone loved JB!

Did I mention that you guys are great!

Thanks!

LakePirate
04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys.

She will be missed. Having some coors lights on her behalf tonight.

mgurley
04-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Sorry to hear...Tex/Pirate

André
04-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Tex
Sorry to read that.Keep all those wonderful moments that JB gave you in your memory.
Too bad dogs can't live longer.
/Hugging my almost 10 years old Lab real strong now...

All dogs go to heaven! :headbang:

Same for you Lake P

atlfootr
04-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Tex
Sorry to read that.Keep all those wonderful moments that JB gave you in your memory.
Too bad dogs can't live longer. Hugging my almost 10 years old,
Lab real strong now... All dogs go to heaven! :headbang:

Same for you Lake P
Dogs in heaven (http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~cypert/dick/inheaven.html)

An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt road with fences on both sides, they came to a gate
in the fence and looked in, it was nice - grassy, woody areas, just
what a 'huntin' dog and man would like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' so they walked on.

They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white robes standing there. "Welcome to Heaven" he said. The old man was happy and started in with his dog following him.

The gatekeeper stopped him. "Dogs aren't allowed, I'm sorry but he can't come with you." "What kind of Heaven won't allow dogs?

If He can't come in, then I will stay out with him.
He's been my faithful companion all his life, I can't desert him now.
Suit yourself, but I have to warn you, the Devil's on this road and
he'll try to sweet talk you into his area, he'll promise you anything, but, the dog can't go there either.

If you won't leave the dog, you'll spend Eternity on this road
"So the old man and dog went on.

They came to a rundown fence with a gap in it, no gate, just a hole. Another old man was inside. "Scuse me Sir, my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in and sit in the shade for awhile?"
"Of course, there's some cold water under that tree over there.

Make yourselves comfortable " "You're sure my dog can come in?
The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed anywhere."
"Would you come in if you had to leave the dog?"

" No sir, that's why I didn't go to Heaven, he said the dog couldn't come in. We'll be spending Eternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some shade would be mighty fine right about now.
But, I won't come in if my buddy here can't come too, and that's final."

The man smiled a big smile and said "Welcome to Heaven."
"You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed?

How come that fellow down the road said they weren't?"
"That was the Devil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a life long companion for a comfortable place to stay.
They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late.
The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there.

GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven.
After all, HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would he
separate them in death?"

Author Earl Hamner
The Twilight Zone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jorski
04-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear this news Tex...we lost our Golden this winter...bottom line is it just sucks.

jordan

kalanic
04-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss Tex & Lake. Never an easy time. Enjoy the memories!

kalanic
04-13-2006, 09:38 AM
My boy is startin to get big. 14 weeks. Startin to show his yellow. Finally got all his AKC paperwork. He's fetchin his toy Mallards already.

André
04-13-2006, 08:29 PM
My boy is startin to get big. 14 weeks. Startin to show his yellow. Finally got all his AKC paperwork. He's fetchin his toy Mallards already.
Nice to see a new puppy to bright things up here!
Good looking dog kal! :)

RackAtak
07-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Miniature Bull Terrier. She's ready for a day on the lake!

wakebroad
07-05-2006, 09:03 AM
That dog is cute!!! Here's a picture of the gremlin when we first got her.

kalanic
07-05-2006, 09:27 AM
He was on Flag Duty!

kalanic
07-05-2006, 09:29 AM
She's So Sexy!

bigmac
07-05-2006, 09:40 AM
We have three golden retrievers - this is Rio in the Whaler. He's an enthusiastic boater...obviously loves boats..

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32060171.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32060180.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32060183.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32060184.jpg

RackAtak
07-05-2006, 09:49 AM
That dog is cute!!! Here's a picture of the gremlin when we first got her.
Is that one of the forbidden party pics? :D

bigmac
07-05-2006, 09:52 AM
I just got back from the vet. I had to put my 12 year old dalmation(Jimmy Buffett) down. It was very tough. He was old and had hip issues and the quality of life was just not there. My vet is an old skiing buddy/date that made it alot easier. We took him outside of her clinic in the country and put him down in the grass. It was very peaceful but still very hard to do. Margaritas in honer of JB tonight!

It's never easy to say goodbye to a loyal friend like that. We've been there - we lost Sassy (http://mccollister.info/sassy/sassy.htm), one of our Golden Retrievers to an aggressive cancer of the spleen a couple of years ago. That was hard.

RackAtak
07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
My late Lab Jessi. She had 14 great years...Tough on pheasants.

André
07-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Nice dogs everyone!!!
Especially kalanic yellow Lab... :love:

tex
07-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Kismet,

Took ownership on the 4th of July!

wakebroad
07-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Y'all have very nice lookin' pets! 8p

atlfootr
07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Y'all have very nice lookin' pets! 8pThanks WB, here's mine :D
Where's your's :)

dog paw
07-24-2006, 09:27 AM
A dogs work is never done

dog paw
07-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Stand down for a cool float on the noodle

jlf
07-24-2006, 10:13 AM
This is Shelby's first tube ride. He is a 9 month old Border .

jlf
07-25-2006, 08:53 AM
lets see if we can get the picture to show up

jlf
07-25-2006, 08:57 AM
This one is better

dapicatti
07-25-2006, 10:03 PM
This is our Chow Chow Angelo, who we lost to bone cancer 2 years ago. He loved to go on the jetski- note that he has 3 legs at this point. Even during chemo he loved to go jetskiing. He would stand on the shore of the lake and bark and bark until we would take him out.

dapicatti
07-25-2006, 10:19 PM
These are the new chows- Jezebel and Marcus- both rescue dogs!
They don't get to go boating.....

Leroy
09-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Trying out my D50 on Cocoa!

Leroy
09-04-2006, 11:19 PM
She never misses!

C36
02-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Our hound - Jasper.

André
02-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Good looking dog!
His coat looks like from a Weimaraner

PaulW
02-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Here is my puppy. He is such a boating slut. I have to leave him in the garage when we go boating with out him, or he gets pissed off and pees in the house. If I get my shorts on or get the wakeboard out he goes nuts and jumps in the van. He will sit there for hrs waiting to go.

André
02-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Very good looking German shepperd!
Conformity to the race standards seems really good!

C36
02-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Good looking dog!
His coat looks like from a Weimaraner

That is correct! :)

suedv
02-25-2007, 04:12 AM
These are the new chows- Jezebel and Marcus- both rescue dogs!
They don't get to go boating.....

Those are nice looking dogs with thick looking fur. How long do they take to dry if they get wet?

michael freeman
02-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Here is my puppy. He is such a boating slut. I have to leave him in the garage when we go boating with out him, or he gets pissed off and pees in the house. If I get my shorts on or get the wakeboard out he goes nuts and jumps in the van. He will sit there for hrs waiting to go.

why not take him with ya???

I bring my Giant Schnauzer when I go out, and haven't had too much trouble save when I want to wakeboard and she wants to wait on the swim platform until I get back in the boat.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/IMG_0024.jpg

michael freeman
02-25-2007, 09:02 AM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/IMG_0031.jpg

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-25-2007, 10:20 AM
That picture of the wiemer is just too priceless! :) I love to see when dogs get their FULL attention occupied by watching a bird or chipmunk or something......priceless.

Gosh I need a dog. :(

02-25-2007, 10:23 AM
HEY! I have a question for everyone here with dogs taht take them in the boat.

How do you deal with the dogs toenails not ripping/tearing/puncturing the vinyl seats in your boat????? THis is one issue that would really concern me. If/when I do get a dog, I certainly want to take it out in the boat with me, but I obviusly want to keep the seats intact.

any solutions?:confused:

PaulW
02-25-2007, 01:13 PM

How do you deal with the dogs toenails not ripping/tearing/puncturing the vinyl seats in your boat????? THis is one issue that would really concern me. If/when I do get a dog, I certainly want to take it out in the boat with me, but I obviusly want to keep the seats intact.

My dog comes with me about 75 to 85% of the time. Some times it just to hot and he bakes in the sun. We put down a towel on the seat when he jumps in, but he jumps right over it and lands on the floor. Never had and rips or tears in the seats and he has long toenails, hates to get them cut. We would keep him off the seats most of the time and it seemed to work. My last boat a 01 X30 he was welcome almost any time, but with my new boat 06 Xstar I am freaking out a little. I am going to look into some dog boat shoes for him this year. If, or when, you get a dog, they are cool to have, if you get him young make sure you allways cut his nails and play with his paws. They get use to it and will like to get there nails cut, its the real petacure, not what humans do.

PaulW
02-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Michael Freeman,
Nice colors on the X-30, my new boat is the same color with out the black stripe. What year is it? The dog matches the boat.

JohnnyB
02-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Here's my 1yr old lab "Murphy"....picked him up on St. Patty's day last year. The wife and I were sitting in a bar after picking him up and came up with the name over some green beers....

milkmania
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Here's my 1yr old lab "Murphy"....picked him up on St. Patty's day last year. The wife and I were sitting in a bar after picking him up and came up with the name over some green beers....

good lookin' dog!:headbang:

guess it was better then naming him Patty;)

michael freeman
02-25-2007, 04:27 PM

I have my dog's nails cut every month when I have her groomed. I then walk her on the trails (concrete) which takes the sharp edge off the end of the nail. I haven't had any trouble with the MC seats but she usually lays on the carpet next to me.

michael freeman
02-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Michael Freeman,
Nice colors on the X-30, my new boat is the same color with out the black stripe. What year is it? The dog matches the boat.

Its an '06.

Paul, be sure to post a picture of your boat on the site so we can all see it. Always good to see another yellow MC out there. :)

atlfootr
02-25-2007, 06:47 PM
We caught this one today, Chaz released it w/ a kiss 8p

ctkiteboarding
02-25-2007, 07:28 PM
here ya go

puck_11
02-26-2007, 12:39 PM
My roomates 3 and 1/2 month old golden retreiver, Dakota. He's gonna be a big dog, he weighs like 45 pounds already, and he's the most chill dog ever.

slink976
02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
okay so this is one of mine, dumber than all hell but can play fetch for 2-3 days in a row.

Danimal
02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Here's a pic of my GSP - He's 5 months in this picture.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/Sully_5mo.jpg

Sodar
02-26-2007, 05:46 PM
My roomates 3 and 1/2 month old golden retreiver, Dakota. He's gonna be a big dog, he weighs like 45 pounds already, and he's the most chill dog ever.

I love goldens... I want another one soooo bad, but I am going to wait until I have more time to spend with a dog...

slink976
02-26-2007, 06:14 PM

This looks like a professional picture here!

P-Rod
02-26-2007, 07:28 PM

This one is from last duck season

02-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Great lookin GSP Danimal!!!:) :)

dapicatti
02-26-2007, 10:15 PM

This one is from last duck season
That is one dedicated lab....good looking dog.

Danimal
02-26-2007, 10:17 PM

Nope - Our neighbor took the photo. She does have a real sweet Digital SLR, though!

Great lookin GSP Danimal!!!

Thanks UMP. Sully's around 10-11 months now and a real pain in the arse. The boy has some energy!! All in all he is a great dog. Extremely smart.

mash
02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
This is our Australian Shepard "Bailey". She's 8 years old now but still loves to play ball. We trim her coat in the summer (sheds in the boat badly). Second picture is her with a full coat. Last pic is her just chillin'.

BrianM
02-27-2007, 09:24 AM

Great looking GSP. Looks a lot like my female.

P-Rod
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
That is one dedicated lab....good looking dog.

Dapicatti,

Thanks, he is one of the most dedicated labs that I have owned. He lives to retrieve and is one heck of a family dog.

jraben8
02-27-2007, 10:54 AM
This is out newest addition; Polly. She is a soft coated wheaten terrier and about 4 months old when these were taken. She is one of the best puppies with kids that I have ever seen...8p

Willski
02-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Looks like mine. She is about a year. Not sure though. We got her from a shelter a few months ago.

Monte
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Uno.... With his smart smile on8p

Maristar210
02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Monte

Nice looking dog my friend. Hope things are getting better for you.

Willski's and Danimal's dogs could be brothers !~!!

Steve

Monte
02-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Monte

Nice looking dog my friend. Hope things are getting better for you.

Willski's and Danimal's dogs could be brothers !~!!

Steve

Thanks Steve, It still stinks that Montana is no longer with us, but at least we still have Uno.

Prostar19
02-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Our dogs helping me look for debris

Danimal
02-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Great looking GSP. Looks a lot like my female.

Thanks Brian. He is built a lot like a female also. His mother was small but the father was monster. We were hoping to get something in between. Currently Sully is 10 months old tomorrow, according to the wife, and he is 50 pounds. I think he should get about 60 pounds when full grown.

Looks like mine. She is about a year. Not sure though. We got her from a shelter a few months ago

Beautiful GSP willski! I just love these dogs. Grew up with them and they have always been great companions!

02-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I sure miss having a dog.......:cry: :(

BrianM
02-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Brian. He is built a lot like a female also. His mother was small but the father was monster. We were hoping to get something in between. Currently Sully is 10 months old tomorrow, according to the wife, and he is 50 pounds. I think he should get about 60 pounds when full grown.

Funny, my female is built like a male. She is over standard for height and weight of a female GSP which is why we adopted her from the previous owner who originally wanted to show her. She outgrew the standard at 9 months.

My male on the other hand is undersize. He is about the size of most small femal GSPs.

atlfootr
03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Chazster a rock'n stud ....

jlf
03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
I have to take Shelby my one year old Border Collie to the Vet on thurs. He is going to have xrays on his legs. He seems to really limp on his rear leg when he gets up after laying down for a while. It is almost like his leg goes to sleep. Once he is up for a minute he appears to be just fine. We can't get him to flinch at all when we move his leg through the full range of movement. The vet looked at it once when he was in for his shots and said without putting him under and doing xrays it is hard to tell if there is a problem. It was suggested to give him a couple weeks of no walks and let him rest a possible pulled muscle. We have done that for almost a month now and it doesn't appear to be improving at all so we decided to go ahead with the xrays to see if more can be determined. If we do play hard with him or go for a walk the stiffness gets worse. They don't think it is arthritis or hip displacia. I'm not sure what to think?

dapicatti
03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I hope that its just a minor thing...we will be thinking about you and Shelby tommorow. We have lots of experience with torn ACL's and other things. The X ray hopefully will clear it up. Our chow Marcus is back to 95% normal after his ACL surgery.

jlf
03-08-2007, 07:51 AM
I really hope it is something simple too, he really is our baby. He snuggles with me in the morning after my husband gets out of bed. He is my walking/running partner, he never complains he is too tired to go, usually beats me to the door and it waiting for me. I've missed our walks/runs, while he's been trying to heal. I really hope they can find something actually because there is something wrong, he shouldn't be so stiff like that when we gets up.

Faded & X9-Rated
03-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Here's a few pictures of our Chihuahua! He's the coolest! (My girlfriend picked it out.. but I got to name him... HEMI!!

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/119964.jpg

He's also my Co-Pilot!

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/119963.jpg

jlf
03-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Shelby is home from his X-rays, the news is hip dysplasia and arthritis at a very early age. Sucks, he is my baby and I hate to see him in pain. The first thought from the vet was a pulled muscle so we had been told no exercise to try to heal the muscle. Now we've been told the lack of exercise in the last two months have done more damage than good. We always used to walk him at least once a day two miles. Now he has to lose 8 lbs (who doesn't) and we are on strict orders to walk him at least once a day to keep his joints lubricated and his muscle tone good and now to help lose the extra pounds. He is on a diet as of yesterday and now we are going to try giving him the dog version of glucoseamine and condroitian (sp) to help with his joints. I have lost my running partner as well, Shelby and I used to go for a run almost every morning and I was told not to run him at least for a while, if ever. Any one else have a dog with hip dysplacia and were you able to still give your dog a relatively painless life?

Maristar210
03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Bummer Carissa. Sorry to hear that. My running partner and I had an incident where he got some tendons cut and had to have surgery but he is better now.

I don't know about your question. I'll just hope for the best for your bud.

Steve

billr
03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
We have a Chocolate Lab with the same condition. Used the pills for about two years, ( about $1. a day ) and then switched to Pro Plan with those ingredients in the food. I can't tell the difference between the two, so I am staying with the Pro Plan.

dapicatti
03-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Our vet from WSU had us use Move Free- a people pill- on our chow. It was way less expensive and really worked. I think it really helped him with his joints.

Monte
03-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Our vet from WSU had us use Move Free- a people pill- on our chow. It was way less expensive and really worked. I think it really helped him with his joints.

Is that legal????:) :D sorry D had to;)

dapicatti
03-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Is that legal????:) :D sorry D had to;)
I wouldn't expect any less of you Monte.....
Apparently it is similar to the animal formula- this from the head of the oncology dept of the WSU Vet School and Hospital....so I think it's OK.8p

Monte
03-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't expect any less of you Monte.....
Apparently it is similar to the animal formula- this from the head of the oncology dept of the WSU Vet School and Hospital....so I think it's OK.8p

Oh , I don't doubt you on the meds.

dapicatti
03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh , I don't doubt you on the meds.
We used this with our chow who had bone cancer- wound up having his right front leg amputated and had arthritis in his back leg. He ran around just fine on 3 legs. And still rode the jetski.

Monte
03-09-2007, 09:08 PM
We used this with our chow who had bone cancer- wound up having his right front leg amputated and had arthritis in his back leg. He ran around just fine on 3 legs. And still rode the jetski.
A trooper huh?

dapicatti
03-09-2007, 09:10 PM
It's amazing what dogs can do. I miss that dog every day. Have 2 new ones (rescues) that are great but its not the same.

bigmac
03-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Shelby is home from his X-rays, the news is hip dysplasia and arthritis at a very early age. Sucks, he is my baby and I hate to see him in pain. The first thought from the vet was a pulled muscle so we had been told no exercise to try to heal the muscle. Now we've been told the lack of exercise in the last two months have done more damage than good. We always used to walk him at least once a day two miles. Now he has to lose 8 lbs (who doesn't) and we are on strict orders to walk him at least once a day to keep his joints lubricated and his muscle tone good and now to help lose the extra pounds. He is on a diet as of yesterday and now we are going to try giving him the dog version of glucoseamine and condroitian (sp) to help with his joints. I have lost my running partner as well, Shelby and I used to go for a run almost every morning and I was told not to run him at least for a while, if ever. Any one else have a dog with hip dysplacia and were you able to still give your dog a relatively painless life?I'm very sorry. Hip dysplasia is difficult, and the prognosis for a long painless life in 1 year-old isn't great. One of our golden retrievers had hip dysplasia in both hips that the vet discovered when she was a pup - he checked the hips while she was anesthetized being spayed. We took her to the University of Minnesota where they have some great canine orthopedists. She subsequently underwent two separate hip operations (osteotomies). She's 8 years old now and still runs like a nut. Not even a hint of a limp.

Check with your vet about surgical solutions. Shelby might be too old for this simpler surgery to be effective, but it's worth checking. You might even want to check with your nearest veterinary school and get another opinion.

It is worth noting that the surgey on our golden's hips was only a little less than $1500 per hip....

Slinkyredfoot
03-09-2007, 09:14 PM
It is always such a drag when our pets hurt because we hurt too, being an animal lover says something about a human being

Monte
03-09-2007, 09:18 PM
It's amazing what dogs can do. I miss that dog every day. Have 2 new ones (rescues) that are great but its not the same.

Right there with you, Montana, my lab....... man I miss her, she was a good dog. We still have her puppy UNO, he likes the wife though:(

dapicatti
03-09-2007, 09:20 PM
JLF-
If you are near a vet school I highly reccomend getting an opinion. The beauty of it is that all the equipment and salaries are. generally already paid for by the university...leaving you to only pay actual costs. Plus, they usually have equipment local vets can't touch due to price etc. We were terrified to take ours to the vet school, turned out to be the best decision we could have made.

André
03-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Big Mac
What's your opinion on glucosaemine and others humans remedes for dogs articulations?
I know you're not a vet but...:)
Rescued another Lab last week.That makes 2 of them now...
Both are over 10 years old.
How can you get rid of a 10 years old Lab???
Don't understand humans sometimes...

whitedog
03-09-2007, 09:28 PM
jlf: Check with vet school at UW Madison. I know its a couple of hours away but they do some good work. I have sent animals there with good results.

bigmac
03-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Big Mac
What's your opinion on glucosaemine and others humans remedes for dogs articulations?
I know you're not a vet but...:)
Rescued another Lab last week.That makes 2 of them now...
Both are over 10 years old.
How can you get rid of a 10 years old Lab???
Don't understand humans sometimes...There aren't any studies that validate glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate as an effective treatment, and a couple that demonstrate it to be ineffective in humans. However, there is anecdotal evidence that it helps...and the stuff is pretty cheap and it's pretty harmless, so I'd definitely go for it in a dog with such problems. Another common treatment is Rimadyl, which is ibuprofen, but this stuff can be dangerous in dogs, especially older dogs on it for long term -- liver damage.

bigmac
03-09-2007, 09:40 PM
jlf: Check with vet school at UW Madison. I know its a couple of hours away but they do some good work. I have sent animals there with good results.

Definitely worth a try - I'd agree with consultation there. See if a triple osteotomy is feasible...

http://vmthpub.vetmed.wisc.edu/sa_services/surg/orthopedics/orthopedics.htm

jlf
03-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I never thought of doing something like that taking him to a vet school. How do I go about getting a hold of somebody to make an appointment? We are going to try the glucoseamine (it is a dog version, and for the rymidol they recommended, we are just giving him 325mg of people aspirin up to twice daily for the pain if we feel he needs it) for now and see if we notice any improvements, I also understand we have to stick with it for a while for it to build up in the body before we notice any results.

jlf
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
His hips weren't horrible, but you could tell they weren't not normal either. I am hoping with getting him back on his walking and exercise schedule and shedding a few pounds this will help him a lot. He's been pretty lazy the last three months and gained a few pounds as a result, we thought we were nursing a pulled muscle. Guess not.

jlf
03-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Okay never mind the link Bigmac has posted has most of the information I need. Thank you. It is something Lance and I will have to discuss and think about. Didn't realize such resourses were out there. The things you learn on a boating web site are amazing. Thanks guys.

I sat down on the floor with Shelby yesterday and he climbed up in my lap like he used to do when he was smaller and just laid there, I couldn't help it I started crying. I can't imagine life without him anymore and I can't stand to see him limping and in pain, and at such a young age.

dapicatti
03-10-2007, 06:37 PM
JLF
I am glad the TT family could help. Your story brought back so many memories for me, good and bad. We also found support through the internet- groups on Yahoo had a bone cancer group for dogs. I don't think we would have had such a positive experience without everyone's support. Keep us posted.

JKTX21
03-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your predicament JLF. My girls are getting old now, and one of them can't seem to keep any weight on, she used to weigh 25lbs, and now only about 16lbs. :(

After my German Shepard died, we went down to the Humane Society to find another big dog. In the middle of the room, in a pen, were these two little puppies, chasing each other around and moving the cage all around the room! So we ended up with two spunky Boston Terrier mixes.

I love them to death, even though they are heathens (I can hear them outside barking at the moment) and I will definately shed some tears the day they both are gone.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/JKTX21/LE.jpg

dapicatti
03-11-2007, 03:19 AM
They look very happy that you rescued them...............

jlf
03-12-2007, 10:03 PM
We are dealing with it as anyone would if it was their child. Shelby is on a diet to help shed the extra pounds, been going for a walk every day, doctors orders and he takes his vitamin like a champ, twice a day. It is amazing, but I think the real key so far has been getting him back into our walking routine. He already is showing more energy and less stiffness. The first day or two he was pretty stiff, but it is getting better. We are praying that with some diet and exercise we can keep it under control and will not have to resort to more serious measures (at least not yet).

The Boston Terriors are sure cute. I bet they can cause a few headaches around the house. They sure are worth it. Shelby was by my side when I was going through the emotions and pain of losing my baby. He let me snuggle with him and cry on his shoulder. He was sort of my rock along with my husband.

André
03-13-2007, 06:47 PM
We are dealing with it as anyone would if it was their child. Shelby is on a diet to help shed the extra pounds, been going for a walk every day, doctors orders and he takes his vitamin like a champ, twice a day. It is amazing, but I think the real key so far has been getting him back into our walking routine. He already is showing more energy and less stiffness. The first day or two he was pretty stiff, but it is getting better. We are praying that with some diet and exercise we can keep it under control and will not have to resort to more serious measures (at least not yet).
That's what you should do i think.Keep up the vitamins ,good food ,a lottalove and normal walks and plays(Just don't overdo it).
:) Hoping for Shelby to get better!
Sometimes the hips don't go too bad and some dogs lives quite a normal and long life!
Animals are very different from humans when it comes to pain...

atlfootr
03-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Video: How Dogs Became Man's Best Friend
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ogs-video.html (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/01/070125-dogs-video.html)