PDA

View Full Version : Damaged rub rail

iokua
09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
I just purchased my first boat, and am happy that it's an '85 Mastercraft S&S! It needs quite a bit of work, and being a newbie, I'm sure I'll be referencing this site quite a bit.

One of the first projects is to clean up the fiberglass. The rub rail has taken some pretty hard hits; the metal rail is bent down in a couple locations and rivets broken or bent. My question is whether or not I'm opening up a can of worms by drilling out the rivets and replacing the bent sections of rail? I've learned that the deck and hull are riveted together; I'm assuming the rub rail rivets are also the rivets that hold the hull and deck together. The rail has to be removed to repair a small hole in the nose, and I would prefer to "do it right".

Has anyone done this?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help! I can list the specific overall condition of the boat for anyone who is interested.

MarkP
09-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Congrats on the mastercraft and welcome aboard.. :headbang: As for the repair job, go for it :banana: :banana:

JimN
09-22-2004, 11:35 AM
If you remove the rub rail, it won't separate the 2 halves. If you really want to fix it up right, replace the whole rail and insert. A hot day is best for this because the rail and insert don't cooperate when it's cold. If the rail is dark, it can also lighten(or, worst case, snap) if it's bent while cold. Heat lamps aren't very expensive, so if you need to heat it to bend it, keep them far enough from the plastic so they don't melt.

After the rail is removed- a great time to reseal the hull/deck joint.

Crash
09-22-2004, 12:26 PM
After guideance from others on the old website I decided to try on my own. I had a 5 foot section that was real loose and undid the bracket in the back and pulled the rub rail out, drilled the old rivet head off, poked the rest of the old rivet into the boat, caulked the seam, and inserted new rivet with washer on the inside of the boat (to give it something strong to pull on). It went so well we did a 10 foot section and reinserted the rubrail (used same old one). Like I said, went so smoothly I bought a new rubrail and will redo the whole boat this winter.

Go for it!

Joe aka Re-coil Fan

iokua
09-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies!

I'll remove the rail and insert in the next couple of weeks.........

erkoehler
09-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Lets see some pics of the "new" boat

iokua
09-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Well, this is the best I could do for now....I'll try and get some better pictures up.

The upholstery was redone about 5 years ago; I'll probably let it go for another year. Carpet will be redone this Winter. Color is brown/white (cream, actually), which I can put up with for another year to two before repainting.

I could go on and on with the to do list........

Hopefully the pics next spring will be a little different!

H20skeefreek
09-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Well, this is the best I could do for now....I'll try and get some better pictures up.

The upholstery was redone about 5 years ago; I'll probably let it go for another year. Carpet will be redone this Winter. Color is brown/white (cream, actually), which I can put up with for another year to two before repainting.

I could go on and on with the to do list........

Hopefully the pics next spring will be a little different!

the main hull color is brown?? that's sweet! I didn't know that was an option. Don't change it, just learn to love it, you've got a rare one.

oh, and your skins should still be available through MC. the texture of the '85 vinyl is sweet, really fitting for that boat.