PDA

View Full Version : Trouble pulling propeller off

Skiufool
09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
I purchased both the Harmonic prop puller and the Pro Pull kit from Overton's and neither one has had any success in pulling my propeller off. I have an '84 and it is seeming more and more like the propeller is the original one too! I can't get this thing to budge! My next option that I'm debating on trying is using a small propane torch and heat up the propeller hub just enough to loosen it up and pop off.

Any other ideas before I bring the torch to the prop?

NeilM
09-21-2004, 09:45 PM
You're on the right track. If it's been on that long, some heat is probably the only way you're going to get it off.

Farmer Ted
09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
I sprayed mine down with some break free and let it soak in.

Got-r-done!

NeilM
09-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Good point, Farmer Ted... I shouldn't have assumed that would have been tried along with the pullers....

Skiufool
09-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Trust me...I've used PB Blaster and WD-40 several times. Then I would put the Harmonic puller on and whack it several hard times. Then take 2 hammers and whack the propeller hub on opposing sides all the way around the prop...and still nothing. The only other thing that could be done is use a hydraulic puller sort of thing...but that it is not in my tool box!

I think I'm going to try the torch tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Farmer Ted
09-22-2004, 07:25 AM
go back and whack it some more, spray it and whack it hard (BriEOD ignore this please, think of the children!)

If your prop has been on for awhile it will take some convincing. I doubt that mine had ever been taken off; 98 190, amazing that the boat hasn't run aground but I digress...it took some major penetrant and brute force to get my prop off.

Trust in the force Luke...

east tx skier
09-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Speaking of the force, I can't recommend highly enough picking up the original Star Wars Trilogy (somebody explain to Mark P what this is) on DVD. Watched two in a row last night - felt like such a geek.

lakes Rick
09-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Speaking of the force, I can't recommend highly enough picking up the original Star Wars Trilogy (somebody explain to Mark P what this is) on DVD. Watched two in a row last night - felt like such a geek.

Be careful or Mag red boating mate will call you pathetic too.....

Leec
09-22-2004, 04:11 PM
When you put the prop back on, please use some anti- sieze.

:smile:

Skiufool
09-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Well I went and purchased a small $20 propane torch and went back out for round 2 with this thing. As I was putting the Pro Puller (C clamp style) back on to apply pressure to the propeller once heat was applied...the propeller popped off! I guess all that PB Blaster I applied yesterday finally did its job and it came off like it was supposed to!

And yes, I did put anti-sieze on the new propeller before it went on. I'm a Marine Engineer and have rebuilt Marine Water pumps (both Salt Water and Fresh water) many a times...Anti-sieze is my best friend!

Thanks for the help guys!

east tx skier
09-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Be careful or Mag red boating mate will call you pathetic too.....

She don't scare me.

Hey, Lee, long time no see! :wavey:

Mag_Red
09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier]She don't scare me.

QUOTE]:popcorn: She's always lurking :wavey:

east tx skier
09-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Indeed, but with my location, I always have the upper hand.

Leec
09-24-2004, 01:30 PM
She don't scare me.

Hey, Lee, long time no see! :wavey:
Hey Doug I am a 9 to 6er now driving to Austin and back everyday,plus they have strict rules about company computers and what is business! So to make this legal I do sell Life Insurance for AAA! Yes it's the AAA Auto Club. It is very low priced as they are a member based Organization. So ask me if you are looking at getting what you already know your family needs should you die of a Heart Attack while on that strenous slalom run!
Back at ya Doug:wavey:

east tx skier
09-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the 9 to 6 club. You probably pass my sister-in-law on her daily commute from Austin to San Antonio.

MarkP
09-24-2004, 06:24 PM
HEY LEE:wavey:

Good to see your back.

Ah, What the heck, This deserves a dancing banana!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

Leec
09-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the 9 to 6 club. You probably pass my sister-in-law on her daily commute from Austin to San Antonio.
Doug maybe we can meet some day. Do they need Life Insurance?;)

Leec
09-24-2004, 07:21 PM
HEY LEE:wavey:

Good to see your back.

Ah, What the heck, This deserves a dancing banana!!!

Hey Mark. :wavey: I really haven't been gone just otherwise occupied.
Do you need any life insurance?