PDA

View Full Version : Nascar: I Don't Get It...

vegashomeexpert
03-12-2006, 09:23 PM
I just got back from the race and am still trying to figure it all out. Woke up this morning and had 3 options: 1) snow ski, fresh snow at the local resort and best conditions all year, 2) work or pretend to work at home, 3) go to the race, never been but it is on my todo list. Son chose 1 or 3. Daughter spent the night at a friends house so no vote for her. Wife said she didn't care what my son and I did 'cause she had other plans. Chose to go to the race, called on tickets and they said they may have some if I come out. Aproached by "Marcus, the scalper" on the way to the ticket booth. After much stalking by Marcus we settled on $100/ea for 2 $150/ea tix. 3 hours before the race, found our seats. Awesome seats! Fear comes that the tix must be counterfeit. Oh well, we are at least in. Spend 2.5 hours fighting crouds shopping for stuff by running back and forth from the twelve #8 merchandise trucks, the four #24 merch trucks, and the one of everybody else trucks. Climb a rock wall (I rang the bell!!!), look at army gear, get pictures taken with several cars that look like they may have once been real race cars. Fight our way back in, decide we better get some food. Go to the inside booth cause there was no line. Get 2 cheese burgers, a beer and a coke.... $20. Go to the seats, people watch, watch cars, watch the big screen, get some peanuts, get another beer, go pee at the yellows, all this just waiting for something to happen. Finally, with one lap to go, one of the drivers spits out the car window and they throw a yellow. At least that is what I thought must have happened 'cause there were at least 3 other yellows that looked like it was just time for a commercial break or something. Then they have this Green, White, checker finish and finally something happens. We have a race and then it is done. the winner (Jimmy Johnson somebody) does a nice spinnout in the grass and we all run for the gates. 40 minutes later I am home wondering how NASCAR ever got on my todo list. And... I still don't get it? :huh:

erkoehler
03-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I would have rather waxed the bottom of the boat.....

vegashomeexpert
03-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I would have rather waxed the bottom of the boat.....
I did that recently and that was at least more satisfying! I did see a white F250 with Cali plates that had a team Mastercraft sticker.

Leroy
03-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I think most from the Nascar belt would have called that the perfect day! I don't see any race watchin until the final lap? Nascar fans could recap the whole race and strategy by each driver during the race!

Guess they need a west of the Mississippi version of Nascar! I have found if you really don't know the drivers, it's hard to get excited about the race.

JEREMY79
03-12-2006, 09:57 PM
That is something I can not get into. I will sit and watch an entire baseball game, not miss a pitch. just cant get into driving in a circle :noface:

RobertT
03-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Same thing here. I went to a race, was drunk as six sailors by the third lap, then figured out that I was about one hundredth into the thing. I left early.

On the other hand, I did go to the Richard Petty driving thing. It was actually awesome. Spent the day driving race cars, by myself. The radar detector in my car I won that day for having the fastest time. I loved driving the cars....but just cant get into watching it.

Oh well. A day with your son doing anything is valuable beyond all else. It must have been a great day. Congrats.

Hoosier Bob
03-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Oh I get it! May be you are just a DUMBARSE! :D

vegashomeexpert
03-12-2006, 10:16 PM
A day with your son doing anything is valuable beyond all else. It must have been a great day. Congrats.
And there you have it! Well said. It was a great day! :D

milkmania
03-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh well. A day with your son doing anything is valuable beyond all else. It must have been a great day. Congrats.

hey Robert....
you probably got some real nasty weather headed your way

/end derail

Byrdman
03-12-2006, 10:22 PM
We had the family over for a cookout, so no wakeboarding today :cry: . My father-in-law and I start watching the race after we eat. Well I dozed off and woke up in time to see the last 50 laps, Perfect. I didnt miss a thing.....

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2006, 10:26 PM
I may attend the race at Chicagoland Speedway this year. I hope I am approached again with some free tickets, I was offered some last year and I couldn't make it.

lakes Rick
03-12-2006, 11:03 PM
I call Nascar the " 500 mile" traffic jamb... BORING

tex
03-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Did you see the DLP car?

bret
03-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah but the F1 race was good!

stevo137
03-13-2006, 08:28 AM
I haven't actually been to a race for years and don't think that I want to take an entire Sunday to do that.
I do enjoy watching some of the races in big screen high definition though.
The last race that I went to was at MIS and I had pit and suite passes. It was very exciting down there.
Many people take RV's and it's just a big party for them.
I am not interested in sitting in the grandstands for hours watching the race.

Ric
03-13-2006, 08:54 AM
auto racing is something I don't mind having on the tv when I'm around the house but not really sitting and watching

there was an f1 race yesterday on speed. somewhere in a desert. very very cool racing. it's odd how nascar is so big here and f1 is not :confused: those guys REALLY know how to drive and have some amazing machines

jrcarte78
03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
auto racing is something I don't mind having on the tv when I'm around the house but not really sitting and watching

there was an f1 race yesterday on speed. somewhere in a desert. very very cool racing. it's odd how nascar is so big here and f1 is not :confused: those guys REALLY know how to drive and have some amazing machines

I'm with Ric, I'll have it on while doing whatever else around the house, but never just sit and watch intently.

lakes Rick
03-13-2006, 10:51 AM

When they went from 12 cylinders to 10 was bad enough, but racing tires with grooves in them??? Rules rules rules..... Gimme the good ole days with Smokey Yunick....

Ric
03-13-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm with Ric, I'll have it on while doing whatever else around the house, but never just sit and watch intently.
You have to take off your shirt and stand on the couch if you seriously watch nascar at home

Kevin 89MC
03-13-2006, 11:04 AM
I doubt I'd ever go to a race, even with free tix. It a good TV sport. As much as I like to do some of my own racing, it's just not that interesting to watch. The only thing I like is the crashes! Yeah, call me a heathen, but to me that's the entertainment, as long as no one gets hurt too badly.

SD190EVO
03-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I had no interest either until a guy friend got us tics for a 'guy weekend'.

He paid for everything and we used my 40' MH. Spent a long weekend camping at the track.

Was the most fun I've had with the camper. Can't wait to get back and bring the family as it was really family oriented.

The tailgating, the midway, the people watching, the pits... super cool.

Only bad thing for me is from Colorado every race is so damn far. I wish they would build a Denver track. If they did, I'd have season tics for life.

RobertT
03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
hey Robert....
you probably got some real nasty weather headed your way

/end derail

Yep. Its game on. The closest whitewater river is pumping!

I will be there most free time this week and all weekend.

The following week....my boat goes back on the lift!

The season hath begun :)

LakePirate
03-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Well about the Vegas race, went last year. It is a boring race, this one was a bit more exciting due to the finish. If you go to a race you have to have scanners. It gives you the opportunity to listen in on the drivers as well as tv and radio broadcasts. Keeps you in the loop for that strategy thing. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the experience, the smell of burning rubber, ears ringing due to all of the horse power. Now get this, in the south you can bring your own beer. That is correct, take you cooler in with your favorite brew in a can.

Oh yeah, those cautions were because of debris on the race track. The last one was because of a fender coming off of Kenny Wallace's 78 car.

vegashomeexpert
03-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Did you see the DLP car?
Yeah. Kept looking to see if Roger & Troy would make an appearance. Oh, yeah, that was a picture of them with your son a while back!

vegashomeexpert
03-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Well about the Vegas race, went last year. It is a boring race, this one was a bit more exciting due to the finish. If you go to a race you have to have scanners. It gives you the opportunity to listen in on the drivers as well as tv and radio broadcasts. Keeps you in the loop for that strategy thing. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the experience, the smell of burning rubber, ears ringing due to all of the horse power. Now get this, in the south you can bring your own beer. That is correct, take you cooler in with your favorite brew in a can.

Oh yeah, those cautions were because of debris on the race track. The last one was because of a fender coming off of Kenny Wallace's 78 car.
Now, I am not saying I didn't enjoy it. It would have been better if I had a scanner and new what was going on. They were very clear about the fender coming off on the TV broadcast (DVR'd it) but the track announcers and cameras were speculating it was caused by Tony Stewarts tire (this my spit comment). If you can bring your own beer, instead of spending $6 domestic or $8 import, it would definitely have more of a party/picnic atmosphere. As far as the race here goes, major renovation of the track started today and will be done by September. They say the idea is to make it as competitive as Atlanta. We'll see? Don't think you will ever catch me in a Home Depot jacket, though. Those are real fans!

LakePirate
03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
NASCAR is taking all of our races out of the south ;) so I guess they feel they should try and do something to make the tracks as exciting as our.

I almost had a coronary when we went to qualifying and saw the beer prices. It was 6 bucks for a 16 oz coors light.

Ric
03-13-2006, 10:33 PM
NASCAR is taking all of our races out of the south ;) so I guess they feel they should try and do something to make the tracks as exciting as our.

I almost had a coronary when we went to qualifying and saw the beer prices. It was 6 bucks for a 16 oz coors light.
7 bucks for a 16oz domestic at reliant stadium :noface:

André
03-13-2006, 10:52 PM
F1 race was good but i did enjoy NASCAR 2 weeks ago in Mexico on real race track!
Scott Speed is now in F1.A first since Andretti.
Watch out for Niko Rosberg with Williams in F1.Young kid had a hell of a drive yesterday in the Bahrein Grand Prix.So did Raikonen starting last and finished third.A lot of new rules this year,now using V8 engines that must last 2 races.Thoses things are reving 19 100 rpm in race configurations but somes claims 20 000 revs in private testing... :steering:

Vegas
How much your day end up costing you? :eek:

vegashomeexpert
03-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Tickets = $200 (great seats!)
Food = $44
Soda = $12
Beer = $18
Program = $15 (w/free? t-shirt)
total = $289

Spending the day with my son....priceless!

Ric
03-13-2006, 11:19 PM
F1 race was good but i did enjoy NASCAR 2 weeks ago in Mexico on real race track!
Scott Speed is now in F1.A first since Andretti.
Watch out for Niko Rosberg with Williams in F1.Young kid had a hell of a drive yesterday in the Bahrein Grand Prix.So did Raikonen starting last and finished third.A lot of new rules this year,now using V8 engines that must last 2 races.Thoses things are reving 19 100 rpm in race configurations but somes claims 20 000 revs in private testing... :steering:

Vegas

I saw a piece of that Bahrein race yesterday andre
that guy who slid out early in the race in a RH turn right in front of the camera running wheel to wheel amazed me, but the other guy not hitting him just blew my mind!
a couple of more in-car feeds of video and I was sold! Those guys have amazing machines when they can accellerate and decellerate quickly enough to blow your mind in your living room with a lackluster in-car camera setup :cool:

André
03-14-2006, 06:44 AM
I saw a piece of that Bahrein race yesterday andre
that guy who slid out early in the race in a RH turn right in front of the camera running wheel to wheel amazed me, but the other guy not hitting him just blew my mind!
a couple of more in-car feeds of video and I was sold! Those guys have amazing machines when they can accellerate and decellerate quickly enough to blow your mind in your living room with a lackluster in-car camera setup :cool:
Braking abilities of a F1 car are much more amazing then acceleration.
That's the main thing a new driver got to adapt to,braking much later then any car he drove before...

Ric
03-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Braking abilities of a F1 car are much more amazing then acceleration.
That's the main thing a new driver got to adapt to,braking much later then any car he drove before...
I want to drive one!!