PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Ignition

BrianM
09-21-2004, 02:45 PM
I need to redo the left side of the dash on my '88. The plastic piece that holds the hour meter, ignition, safety lanyard, and a non working depth finder is cracked and looks like garbage. Since I am going to have a new blank plastic piece that I can configure however I want I was thinking about switching over to a keyless setup for the ignition.

I think I would put the hour meter on top in its current position along with the safety lanyard. That would leave the bottom half for me to put my ignition setup (I'm not going to replace the depth meter).

The questions for everyone is what do you think? I was thinking of putting two toggles that match the ones on the other side for Ignition on/off and Accessory on/off along with a start button. I am thinking of doing this for one the cool factor and two ease of use (never forget the key again). I figure that having an ignition key is a joke anyway since a theif could hotwire the thing in 10 seconds anyway.

Also what amp switches and start button would I have to use?

ski_king
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I don't know what amp switch is required.

I have seen something like this before on an older inboard. They added a second ignition switch hidden up under the dash wired in series with the one in the dash. If they were leaving the boat for a long period of time they would reach up under the dash turn it off.

Just a little more peace of mind knowing it is a little harder for a thief to figure out.

bret
09-21-2004, 03:24 PM
I have one of the Code 5 keyless ignitions but I don't think they're in business anymore. Mercruiser makes one you can install, but for what you're talking about I would suggest this:

A race type battery on/off switch under the engine cover, of which the handle or key is removable anti joy rider/theft switch)
A black plastic covered toggle, two way, power button and ignition circuit.
A single black plastic covered push button for start

check Pegasus Racing for supplies. good luck

NeilM
09-21-2004, 10:25 PM
If the ignition switch is going to be only for ignition, any commercially available toggle switch that matches the other ones in your boat is more than enough. The amps aren't needed for the ignition - they're needed for your accessories that get power from the same place (like your 21.1 gigawatt stereo..;) )

Same is true for the starter button.. Any marine button switch will work because all you're doing is completing the circuit to the solenoid.

Accessories - see above - depends what you're running.

... also, I strongly suggest the 'in series' switch as well.. it'd slow down the average moron...

JimN
09-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Not that a keyed ignition switch is tremendously secure, but why not make it "really hard to start if you don't know the right way"?

jclose8
09-22-2004, 10:53 AM
How about this?

http://www.janssports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=103&HS=1

The price is right, and it has an electronic "combination lock"

jimmer2880
09-22-2004, 01:02 PM
That looks cool... hmmm.... it definitely got some wheels turning!

SD190EVO
09-22-2004, 11:04 PM
I think that rectangle version is the 'last years model' and it has been replaced with this:

http://shop.boatersworld.com/product/690159.htm

I would like this myself but it is easier (on my wallet) to leave the key in than drop $170 bucks.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
09-22-2004, 11:29 PM
being an OEM dealer, i know for a fact that the model shown is an older version. The newer ones are round - about 2 1/2" in diameter.

here is the current

http://shop.boatersworld.com/product/690159.htm

* Security code programming – a definite theft deterrent
* Weather sealed protected keypad for trouble free operation
* Auto-blower functions to control the fume blower
* RPM sensing circuitry eliminates inadvertent grinding of the starter
* Audible beeping signals provide the operator with user-friendly feedback
* Easy add-on design to replace or supplement your boat’s current ignition switch

CTPJ
09-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Will this work on other engines besides Merc.?

Lake_Tippy_Skier
09-23-2004, 10:56 AM
yes it should.