PDA

View Full Version : Mulch

Cloaked
03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Don't know how true this is but it makes sense.

http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/termites/

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this year. After the Hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over. These trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid of tons and tons of this mulch to any state or company who will come and haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country were the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country that we have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own homes to avoid cheap mulch and know were it came from.

Farmer Ted
03-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Don't know how true this is but it makes sense.

http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/termites/

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this year. After the Hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over. These trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid of tons and tons of this mulch to any state or company who will come and haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country were the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country that we have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own homes to avoid cheap mulch and know were it came from.

Sporty,

I think I heard somewhere they wanted to mulch the trees but were burning them instead due to the termite issue.

Might have been on the local radio here in Shreveport.

6ballsisall
03-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Wow! THanks for the post Sporty!! And to think I am weaks away of buying several yards of mulch!! :eek:

Farmer Ted
03-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Looks like there is a plan, but we all know how well the folks incharge down here follow the rules.

I bet the spread of the Formosan Termite will be an excuse for the Dems to bash the president some more....

http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/en/environment/insects/Termites/formosan_termites/Efforts+under+way+to+prevent+spread+of+Formosan+su bterranean+termites+in+mulch+from+Louisiana+follow .htm

Efforts under way to prevent spread of Formosan subterranean termites in mulch from Louisiana following hurricanes Katrina and Rita
Efforts are under way to prevent the spread of Formosan subterranean termites in mulch from New Orleans and Louisiana following hurricanes Katrina and Rita. It is true that there is a lot of cellulose debris (wood, paper and their products) in Louisiana following these two hurricanes. Yes, Formosan subterranean termites are found in the parishes affected by the hurricanes and will get in mulch. However, the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF) in Louisiana imposed a quarantine for the Formosan subterranean termite on October 3, 2005, in Calcasieu, Cameron, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa and Washington parishes (the parishes affected by the hurricanes).

Provisions of the quarantine imposed by the LDAF include:

Movement of wood or cellulose material is prohibited unless either (1) it is fumigated or treated for Formosan subterranean termites and is approved for movement by the commissioner or his designee(s) or (2) written authorization is given by the commissioner or his designee(s) for the movement of untreated wood or cellulose material from the quarantined parishes.
Temporary housing cannot be moved from the named parishes until written authorization is given by the commissioner or his designee(s).
All architectural components (beams, doors and salvaged wood) cannot be sold or placed in any structure in any parish until the architectural components are fumigated or treated for Formosan subterranean termites.
Additionally, it is strongly recommended and urged that all new construction and reconstruction of structures in the quarantined parishes use termite-resistant materials. Termite-resistant materials include pressure-treated wood (borates, ammonical copper quat or copper azole) or non-cellulose materials.

The quarantine is in effect until it is rescinded by the commissioner of agriculture. If a waiver of a requirement or an authorization to carry out one of the prohibited acts is granted, it does not rescind or modify the quarantine.

Related links:

Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry

LSU AgCenter termites

Keep Formosan Termites From Spreading After Hurricanes

Quarantine on wood, cellulose material after hurricanes Katrina and Rita

Cloaked
03-11-2006, 01:32 PM
That is somewhat of a relief to see the quarintine efforts. I was about to get pissed...

Farmer Ted
03-11-2006, 01:34 PM
That is somewhat of a relief to see the quarintine efforts. I was about to get pissed...

I'd still be reluctant to buy cheap mulch....next thing you know you'll be buying a Malibu....

6ballsisall
03-11-2006, 01:35 PM
I'd still be reluctant to buy cheap mulch....next thing you know you'll be buying a Malibu....

rotflmao!!! :worthy:

Farmer Ted
03-11-2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/NR/rdonlyres/E260F816-3695-47BC-A6BC-CFB6FB4448CD/18092/termiteFactsheet1.pdf

says mulch is termite food....

Leroy
03-11-2006, 01:42 PM
:uglyhamme A plan in place for termites and mulch when there hasn't been a plan for anything else? I'll be buying 16-18 cu yards shortly, looking for a good deal!

TOO funny FT!

TMCNo1
03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
We don't use any mulch round our Single Wide, the pit bull just chews up old tires off the 11 El Caminos I have disassembled in the front yard and he places the pieces in the natural areas alongside the underpinning of fenders, hoods, bumpers and trunk lids. We be bilding a swing set for the grandbabies out of the steel belts and beads off the tires and make whistles for the neighborhood kids out of the valve stems. Did a DIY paving project by laying down the old wheels in the driveway. You otta see the carport we built out of old engine blocks, it's tornado proof! I gotta take care of our 4 door '73 Camero pickup truck with the swamp motor out of a old school bus, that me and my garbageman buddy built out of a old burned out funeral parlor family car! :headbang: :headbang: