PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Impeller on 2005 X-Star L-18

bsimpson
03-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I have read most of the recent threads for replacing the impeller... anybody have any tips specific for a 2005 X-Star with the L-18. It's a big engine so there isn't a lot of space to work around and thought I would try for some tips before I attempt it for the first time.

Will I need to remove any belts or hoses to accomplish the task with my specific engine? :confused:

east tx skier
03-10-2006, 05:23 PM
From the picture on indmar's website, it would appear to me that it's just a matter of removing the 4 screws on the access plate, removing the old impeller, replacing it, and replacing the seal.

prostar205
03-10-2006, 07:00 PM
The picture shown above is the LQ9 engine. However, ETS is correct, it is just a matter of removing the screws that hold the cover plate and remove the old impeller and replace it with a new one. I have the L-18 in my '02 X30. I think there is even less room in that engine compartment than in an X-Star. I will be doing this soon and will be using some type of petroleum problem to help the impeller into place.

east tx skier
03-10-2006, 07:51 PM
The picture shown above is the LQ9 engine. However, ETS is correct, it is just a matter of removing the screws that hold the cover plate and remove the old impeller and replace it with a new one. I have the L-18 in my '02 X30. I think there is even less room in that engine compartment than in an X-Star. I will be doing this soon and will be using some type of petroleum problem to help the impeller into place.

Whoops. I don't know why I read "LQ9" earlier. :o

Diesel
03-13-2006, 04:39 PM
On the few V-Drives I have serviced I removed the raw water pump cover, unplugged the fuel pump, and cranked the engine until the impeller fell out (only took a few revs). Lubed the new one up, put it back in, and tightened everything up. Not much room back there to get to the impeller. Let the engine do the work for you.

east tx skier
03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
That move, thanks to you, made my life easier this year.