PDA

View Full Version : is color marked on the vin.

78skier
03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
So might 78 Stars and Strips is blue now how ever I think it might of been red at one time because thet are a cuple of spot where I can see
some what looks to be pinkis red. is there a way to know for shure the true color on the vin. or any other way. :confused:

TMCNo1
03-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Not according to how my owners manual tells how to read the Hull ID number! Sorry!
The only thing I can think of is the resin behind the gelcoat for the first layer of fiberglass and additional layers of glass and resin may develop a redish/pinkish tint to it, due to the chemical reaction that is created when the additional layers of resin and glasss are layed up! It definately won't be clear or white!

TonyB
03-15-2006, 10:08 AM
This site looks interesting.

Per the website:
"Not sure of your boat color?
Can't find your color on this page? Click here to send us an e-mail with your Hull Identification Number (H.I.N.) and we will e-mail you the correct color and part number."

Give it a try.

Clicky on the linky! (http://www.minicraft.com/Retail/Mastercraft.htm)

Ric
03-15-2006, 10:27 AM
The VIN won't tell you the gelcoat scheme or color, but I bet someone in Vonore has records by VIN of what the original color of that boat was??

JimN
03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
The Hill ID does indicate the color. If, as I assume, you need a gelcoat repair kit, you can call MC and ask them to tell you the color name and the color code, so a kit can be bought from them directly or from Spectrum (usually from Spectrum).

There have also been discussions in TT regarding gelcoat color and Hull ID indications.

TMCNo1
03-15-2006, 12:15 PM
The Hill ID does indicate the color. If, as I assume, you need a gelcoat repair kit, you can call MC and ask them to tell you the color name and the color code, so a kit can be bought from them directly or from Spectrum (usually from Spectrum).

There have also been discussions in TT regarding gelcoat color and Hull ID indications.

I just got my original '89 owners manual out and shows this under Boat Identification?

MBC-12-345-67-89

MBC= Master Craft Boat
12= Model Type
345= Serial No.
67= Date Of Manufacture
89= Model Year

I am comfused! I am assuming giving the Hull ID to a dealer or MC will reveal the color in MC's files and there isn't a Code in the Hull ID to indicate the color. I know on cars, trucks, etc there is a seperate plate/sticker giving a code as to the color of that particular vehicle.

JimN
03-15-2006, 12:33 PM
You're right, I just dug my info out and the color isn't in the VIN. However, calling MC and telling them what the VIN is will get it for anyone who needs to know.

Ric
03-15-2006, 12:39 PM
You're right, I just dug my info out and the color isn't in the VIN. However, calling MC and telling them what the VIN is will get it for anyone who needs to know.
That is what I think 78's gonna have to do..... That or get a grinder out and find out what's under that topcoat :eek:

east tx skier
03-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I've added this to the FAQ (now with handy table of contents).

From MYMC

Here is a simple guide to reading your hull ID. There are some exceptions to this due to last minute order changes so PLEASE view this as a GUIDELINE. Example: MBCAXAA1K304 The MBC (first three positions) stands for... you guessed it MasterCraft Boat Company. Position 4 = Engine type A= 5.7 TBI 1:1, C= 5.7 TBI PowerSlot, T= 8.1, H= 8.1 VRS, M= MCX 1:1, N= MCX 1.56 or VRS, U= 6.0 1:1, Z= 6.0 VRS Position 5 = Boat type A= PS190, B= PS190TT, C=PS197TT, X=PS197, T=PS209, V=MS230, U=MS210, L=X-Star, H=MS280, 2=PS205V Positions 6,7 and 8 Sequential serial number (never repeated in a model year) Position 9 = Month made A=JAN, B=FEB, C=MAR, D=APR, E=MAY, F=JUN, G=JUL, H=AUG, I=SEP, J=OCT, K=NOV, L=DEC Position 10 = Year made Use the last digit of the year made. In the example above the year made would be 2003 but the boat is a 2004 model. Positions 11 & 12 = Model Year The last two digits of the model year go here. The above example is a 2004.

Ric
03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
what's this "faq" you speak of?

TMCNo1
03-15-2006, 01:42 PM
what's this "faq" you speak of?

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm having some problems with some of the abbreviations too!
There are a couple I know, but others are too far out there for this old coot!

Eastie, are those abbreviations listed anywhere on the site?

TMCNo1
03-15-2006, 01:47 PM
That is what I think 78's gonna have to do..... That or get a grinder out and find out what's under that topcoat :eek:

Might want to find a place where you can cut out a small piece, under the dash, behind a seat and sand or scrape to the different layers under the gel coat and see what is underneath.

TMCNo1
03-15-2006, 01:53 PM
This site looks interesting.

Per the website:
"Not sure of your boat color?
Can't find your color on this page? Click here to send us an e-mail with your Hull Identification Number (H.I.N.) and we will e-mail you the correct color and part number."

Give it a try.

Clicky on the linky! (http://www.minicraft.com/Retail/Mastercraft.htm)

Thanks for the link, wow!, this is great!

Anyone have a site for "Natural Male Enhancement"? That stuff "Bob" uses is worthless!

east tx skier
03-15-2006, 02:16 PM
I still can't figure out which "red" was the right one for my 93.

TonyB
03-15-2006, 07:40 PM
I've added this to the FAQ (now with handy table of contents).
There are some exceptions to this due to last minute order changes so PLEASE view this as a GUIDELINE. ...

Position 4 = Engine type A= 5.7 TBI 1:1, C= 5.7 TBI PowerSlot, T= 8.1, H= 8.1 VRS, M= MCX 1:1, N= MCX 1.56 or VRS, U= 6.0 1:1, Z= 6.0 VRS.

My VIN is MBCPA###G091. The fourth letter doesn't translate.

So I guess there are exceptions.

east tx skier
03-15-2006, 08:03 PM
P is 351 and whatever gear ratio you have. ;)

TMCNo1
03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
P is 351 and whatever gear ratio you have. ;)

Doug, my '89 is MBCSA, What the heck is "S". My engine is a 351, must be P=351 1:1.5 and S=351 1:1. I called someone right after I bought the boat and was given the nomenclature, but only to my boat and not a complete breakdown?

grease
03-16-2006, 08:08 AM
You will find that no ones records go back to 78 to tell you the color or a part number for a gel coat color you are trying to match. I tried to find the part number for the red gel coat on my 84 S&S and not even MasterCraft, Spectrum Colors, or Mini-Craft of FL could tell me. Their records go back to 87. I matched my color by sampling the red. Behind the curved front seat was the orginial red that was not oxidized. I buff it and used a 1" hole saw to get the sample. So if anyone needs the red part number I have it. It cost $60 to match the color. Regarding gel coat suppliers, I have found that Mini craft has been far more helpful than Spectrum. I recived my gallon of red yesterday and patched all my dock diings last night and will paint all the red this weekend. I have really gotten in deep. I started only to wet sand with 1200 and buff, but their was too many dings and the red would not come back. So I am in the process of redoing the entire boat. I have painted a few trucks but working with gel coat has been a learning experience. l

TonyB
03-16-2006, 09:25 AM
I recived my gallon of red yesterday and patched all my dock diings last night and will paint all the red this weekend. I have really gotten in deep. I started only to wet sand with 1200 and buff, but their was too many dings and the red would not come back. So I am in the process of redoing the entire boat. I have painted a few trucks but working with gel coat has been a learning experience. l
Wow.

If you could take lots of pictures and post them here, I would enjoy watching your progress.

east tx skier
03-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Doug, my '89 is MBCSA, What the heck is "S". My engine is a 351, must be P=351 1:1.5 and S=351 1:1. I called someone right after I bought the boat and was given the nomenclature, but only to my boat and not a complete breakdown?

... and, in my case, "U" = 351 HO w/ 1:1.

I've added these to the FAQ as well.

DemolitionMan
06-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I Have A 1978 Stars And Stripes And The Color Never Changedwhen I Was Sanding It Down. So The Color May Have Been Changed Or It Could Have Been Damaged And The Person May Have Use A Different Color Resean When Patching The Hole.

Cloaked
06-19-2006, 05:37 PM
I Have A 1978 Stars And Stripes And The Color Never Changedwhen I Was Sanding It Down. So The Color May Have Been Changed Or It Could Have Been Damaged And The Person May Have Use A Different Color Resean When Patching The Hole.The color code is not in the Hull ID.

As for sanding (and showing my limited knowledge here..aka ignorance) the gel may have a base of one color and a top coat of another if I am not mistaken.

A picture is worth a lot, if you have that option, please.

erkoehler
06-19-2006, 05:46 PM
I wonder if Jeremy might know? I'm sure he did alot of sanding, etc. to his gelcoat?????