PDA

View Full Version : You tightened that fuel line, RIGHT?

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 12:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/NewberryMichigan026.jpg

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/NewberryMichigan029.jpg

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 12:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/NewberryMichigan028.jpg

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 12:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/NewberryMichigan031.jpg

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 12:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/NewberryMichigan031.jpg

mrcrowson
03-10-2006, 01:22 PM
That has got to hurt.

ski_king
03-10-2006, 01:42 PM
That sucks big time.

maybe I should add a fire extinguisher to my snowmobile tool kit.

NORTHERN LIGHTS
03-10-2006, 01:42 PM
well the insurance co won't give him a hard time!
sometimes they want to inspect the wreck.
he could scoop up the ashes i a coffe jar. :D

milkmania
03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
somebody's gonna be walking home:(

Datdude
03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
You notice he kinda has a smile on his face? If that was a 2005 Fusion 900 he is probably really happy that it started on fire. They have been having a lot of problems with those sleds and they are selling for less than half of what people paid for them last year.....if you could actually get someone to buy it..

I would be more upset about the 10' section of thrail he just melted :)

TMCNo1
03-10-2006, 03:10 PM
I see you'all take along your own fuel for a real big hotdog roast! Talk about a heated seat!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM

TRU DAT!!!!!!!!!!

milkmania
03-10-2006, 03:55 PM
just noticed in the first pic....

looks like the guy is smoking a cigarette, and the second guy is lighting one....

hmmmmm...........
don't know if I'd want my picture of a burning snowmobile with a lighter in my hand!:purplaugh

edit: really difficult to see what the second guy is doing.... filming possibly?

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 03:55 PM
You notice he kinda has a smile on his face? If that was a 2005 Fusion 900 he is probably really happy that it started on fire. They have been having a lot of problems with those sleds and they are selling for less than half of what people paid for them last year.....if you could actually get someone to buy it..

While I do not know this person I have heard that others in my area do. The speculation is that he cut the line and let it burn to get out of the funancial obligation because its a "pile". I have heard the largest dealer in the state tell me he has to represent Polaris but he would not recommend buying one to a friend. This was an $8500 sled you can now pick up for less than $5500 OTD. That has to speak to something. :firejump:

Steve

And yes I think he IS smiling.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-10-2006, 04:03 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here. I would think "if" it was done intentionally, there is no way he would be posing for pictures in front of it. Would he?

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 04:47 PM
WFT,

That limb you went out on involves that inbred looking dude in the picture, you know. :firejump:

Steve

Leroy
03-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Steve;

Those pictures look very guilty....I wouldn't want the insurance agent to see those!

Ever think of throwing snow on it?

bcampbe7
03-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Steve;

Those pictures look very guilty....I wouldn't want the insurance agent to see those!

Ever think of throwing snow on it?

I was thinking the same thing Leroy. My helmut would become a snow bucket!

Leroy
03-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Agree Beau;

I don't even need a poll to know what to think in post 1 and 3!

ski_king
03-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I agree also.

SKI*MC
03-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Man, i wouldnt be smiling! If it were mine i would be crying. :noface: If it were my baby (my boat) i would "go down with my ship" :(

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 06:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/NewberryMichigan030.jpg

Maristar210
03-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Lots of people standing around with their arms folded. All those folks could have thrown enuogh snow on this sled to put it out. Or a coat thrown over the sled at the start of this fire might have worked. I always carry water with me as well, so do the guys I have ridden with. :firejump:

Steve

jmyers
03-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Lots of people standing around with their arms folded. All thos folks could have thrown enouogh snow on this sled to put it out. Or a coat thrown over the sled at the start of this fir might have worked. I always carry water with me as well, so do the guys I have ridden with. :firejump:

Steve
I was thinking the same thing! Snow would have to smolder it out I would think! :rolleyes:

milkmania
03-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Agree Beau;

I don't even need a poll to know what to think in post 1 and 3!

Pic #3
it almost looks like he's making a statement with that photo???

pure speculation, though:rolleyes:

bcampbe7
03-10-2006, 07:36 PM
He must have had a full tank of gas also. :rolleyes: But then I have to think that they are way too close to be worried about the tank exploding.
That thing had some sort of accelerant on/in it.

PendO
03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Thing probably lit on fire when he was driving it ... if it were my sled I would have let it burn for fear of it exploding while I was dumping snow on it ... plus I'll bet they guy has a few beers in him:)

Doug G
03-10-2006, 10:24 PM
I have seen a lot of fires and I can assure you that is not what you would classify as a "typical" reaction. If I responded to that and saw those reactions a lot of questions would be asked.

erkoehler
03-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I have read alot of stories where people try to put out the fire with snow and always seem to fail.

Never heard of anyone being able to put the fire out.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-11-2006, 12:41 AM
He must have had a full tank of gas also. :rolleyes: But then I have to think that they are way too close to be worried about the tank exploding.
That thing had some sort of accelerant on/in it.

I am not explosives expert, not even close, but I don't think gasoline explodes.

I would think that fire had to consume the sled in seconds if it were a gas fire. I have to wonder how many Fusion "fires" there have been and if Polaris is even looking into it.....:rolleyes: Perhaps population control...;) keeps the warranty claims down.

bcampbe7
03-11-2006, 12:50 AM
I am not explosives expert, not even close, but I don't think gasoline explodes.

I would think that fire had to consume the sled in seconds if it were a gas fire. I have to wonder how many Fusion "fires" there have been and if Polaris is even looking into it.....:rolleyes: Perhaps population control...;) keeps the warranty claims down.

Me neither, just what I see in the movies! :D

The fumes of gasoline are what is flammable, right? So if the tank had any sort of fumes i would imagine when the fire got to the tank, it would explode. ICBW.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Supposedly this is an '03 A/C F5...

JimN
03-11-2006, 01:46 AM
The gas/air fumes in the tank would build up a lot of pressure, then the tank would rupture and that's what "explodes". It's like any other explosion- the expanding gasses make things go out from the center in the direction of least resistance.

Right, Brieod?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-11-2006, 02:05 AM
I am not disputing facts nor arguing anything here.

I do not think those tanks could have a positive pressure. And they are vented.

And I agree, they could potentially explode if the fumes were pressurized. But I don't see how that could happen on a snowmobile.
I am prepared to be schooled with these comments.

bigmac
03-11-2006, 08:29 AM
I am not disputing facts nor arguing anything here.

I do not think those tanks could have a positive pressure. And they are vented.

And I agree, they could potentially explode if the fumes were pressurized. But I don't see how that could happen on a snowmobile.
I am prepared to be schooled with these comments.

IIRC this was an entire Mythbusters episode - they tried to get a car to explode like in the movies, and couldn't do it. I'm with WFT, if the tank ruptures from the fire, the gasoline would leak out and burn, but there'd be no explosion.

And, judging from the photos, that sucker did burn to the ground...but it didn't explode.

NORTHERN LIGHTS
03-11-2006, 08:57 AM
explode my *ss. he's posing for a pic. not to worried weather that thing is going to explode or not.
I'm sure insurance only saw pic 1& 4or 5. dumb sh*t just stood there. They torched that sled!!!

ski_king
03-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I can feel the cost of insurance (http://www.insurancefraud.org/) going up a bit more.

JimN
03-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Workin'- good point about the vent. I hadn't thought of that. I wouldn't be surprised if people covered or blocked theirs off, though. It could increase their fuel pressure a bit. Cars have sealed tanks- anyone noticed the whooshing sound when removing the gas cap?

bigmac
03-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Workin'- good point about the vent. I hadn't thought of that. I wouldn't be surprised if people covered or blocked theirs off, though. It could increase their fuel pressure a bit. Cars have sealed tanks- anyone noticed the whooshing sound when removing the gas cap?So, if I plug the fuel tank vent on my MasterCraft, I can increase my fuel pressure? And that will improve performance?

erkoehler
03-11-2006, 12:10 PM
A couple years back, I rented a snowmobile, and the dealership had placed a golf tee in the gas tank vent line. He forgot to remove the tee when I rented it, and I ran out of gas. The pressure built up and was so great that it broke the gas cap, and sucked in the tank a couple inches on both sides.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-11-2006, 01:33 PM
explode my *ss. he's posing for a pic. not to worried weather that thing is going to explode or not.
I'm sure insurance only saw pic 1& 4or 5. dumb sh*t just stood there. They torched that sled!!!
It was more for conversation that trying to prove anything. I think it was said that the person may not have put the fire out in fear of explosion. And I doubt the Insurance adjuster saw any of the pics. Maybe he was handed some parts after the ride was over.
Now that I think of it, I wonder if they picked up the junk that was left?

PendO
03-11-2006, 01:44 PM

I wish we could have gotten a picture of him lighting a cigarette with the fire ... c'mon, not like I am going to shed a tear for an insurance company!

check this out http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/11848576p-12561573c.html

Leroy
03-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Of course this is all speculation, but we all get to own a piece of that sled! Stuff like this all the time I guess.

I wish we could have gotten a picture of him lighting a cigarette with the fire ... c'mon, not like I am going to shed a tear for an insurance company!

check this out http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/11848576p-12561573c.html

JimN
03-11-2006, 02:05 PM
bigmac- no, you won't increase the fuel pressure on a newer boat but the risk of problems goes up. Besides, the in-tank pump pressure is part of the boat design, so it won't help anything. It's there so the tank won't need to contain any pressure as the gas and air expand due to temperature increases. Cars and trucks have a vapor recovery system and the pressure in the tank is part of the design.

bigmac
03-11-2006, 03:42 PM
bigmac- no, you won't increase the fuel pressure on a newer boat but the risk of problems goes up. Besides, the in-tank pump pressure is part of the boat design, so it won't help anything. It's there so the tank won't need to contain any pressure as the gas and air expand due to temperature increases.

In fact, if my MasterCraft's vent is plugged, it will eventually stop feeding fuel as negative pressure builds up in the tank and exceeds the in-tank pump's pumping capability, won't it?

Same with snowmobiles. You can't plug the vent on the fuel system or it won't feed.

bigmac
03-11-2006, 05:03 PM
While I do not know this person I have heard that others in my area do. The speculation is that he cut the line and let it burn to get out of the funancial obligation because its a "pile". I have heard the largest dealer in the state tell me he has to represent Polaris but he would not recommend buying one to a friend. This was an $8500 sled you can now pick up for less than $5500 OTD. That has to speak to something. :firejump:

Steve

And yes I think he IS smiling.

Do you know if his name happens to be Todd?

Maristar210
03-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Do you know if his name happens to be Todd?

Mac

I do not know his name, sorry.

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Sounds right, except when there is a "bypass" when the excess fuel is dumped back into the tank as "pressure". I think there would have to be a serious amount of negative pressure for it to stop pumping. By that time, the motor would probably be running in the lean and show other tell tale signs such bogging or a mis-diagnosed "miss".

Maristar210
03-15-2006, 12:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/NewberryMichigan027.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
03-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes, and at that point there was also a liquid on the ground burning too. Something strange there. And who is in the woods taking the picture? Something strange there too.....