PDA

View Full Version : Tracking an IP address?

6ballsisall
03-10-2006, 07:58 AM
I recently had someone hack into my email and mess around with alot of stuff. I was able to track down an IP address for the culprit who did this. Does anyone know how to track down an IP address to a physical address?

amber 6
03-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Zone alarm pro allows you to trace ip address details but not to an exact phsical address only the country and location within the country.

6ballsisall
03-10-2006, 08:13 AM
I may be willing to "pay" for accurate information as to a direct address for this IP address ;)

beef
03-10-2006, 08:15 AM
That sucks. You may be able to find out who their isp is by using a windows utility called "tracert". Online versions are on the web at places like THIS (http://network-tools.com/). Google for "trace route" for other options. Hope this helps.

bcampbe7
03-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Sent ya a PM Jeff.

6ballsisall
03-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Message back at you BC :cool:

Any more advice would great guys. I am not giving up until this individual is caught. This was a serious offense, I am going for a full court press.

Leroy
03-10-2006, 09:29 AM
I believe you will have to get to that person's provider in order to link an IP address to a person (assuming they are residential and have a provider). Would be better if you had an email or some other knowledge (maybe you do). They could have done the dirty work from an internet cafe or from someone else's work PC, lots of ways to send out an unrelated IP address. Could be someone from India or China or Eastern block.

and NO I didn't hack ya!

JimN
03-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Since it's illegal to do what they did, why not get the cops involved? They can get the address, name, etc of the dirtbag(s) and prosecute them. I recently got the bloodhound virus and told some of my friends that if I ever meet someone who creates and distributes computer viruses, they probably won't be seeing me for awhile, unless they go to where I am.

milkmania
03-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Sam Spade can track ip addresses also

Neo Trace Express 3.25 will track ip addresses....it also comes in pro version

east tx skier
03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Message back at you BC :cool:

Any more advice would great guys. I am not giving up until this individual is caught. This was a serious offense, I am going for a full court press.

You ought to post the IP in your sig along with the Chrysler stuff. ;)

I was going to suggest you shoot BC a PM. Since that's been done, got nuthin'.

PendO
03-10-2006, 12:19 PM
post the IP on a hacker website and offer a bounty

pilot02
03-10-2006, 03:15 PM
post the IP on a hacker website and offer a bounty

As much as personally really like this idea, there's always the possibility the ip address was spoofed and you'd get the wrong person.

milkmania
03-10-2006, 03:17 PM
As much as personally really like this idea, there's always the possibility the ip address was spoofed and you'd get the wrong person.

and being as you're dealing with a spammer, it's probably "more than likely" spoofed:(

Doug G
03-10-2006, 09:27 PM
and being as you're dealing with a spammer, it's probably "more than likely" spoofed:(

Agreed. If the perpetrator has any skills the address is spoofed. That being said there are various tools you can use to track the address. If you want something done legal contact the local PD.

PendO
03-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Agreed. If the perpetrator has any skills the address is spoofed. That being said there are various tools you can use to track the address. If you want something done legal contact the local PD.

You guys must have local cops with nothing but time on their hands ... if you showed up at the local pd here you would get a blank resonse and a finger pointing you to a stack full of forms.

milkmania
03-10-2006, 10:40 PM
You guys must have local cops with nothing but time on their hands ... if you showed up at the local pd here you would get a blank resonse and a finger pointing you to a stack full of forms.

man, I had to take a surveillance VHS tape and break it down frame by frame to make screen shots of a burglary..... our PD didn't have a time lapse recorder to even watch the video in the first place.
Video Capture Card & the convenience store's time lapse recorder and we were in business:woohoo:

that guy now has charges against him:D

And the PD has requested a couple other screen captures since then, but the video was so degraded, it was unusable.....the store owner had set the frame captures so far out....like 1200 hours....that is was a PITA to get a good shot

bigmac
03-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Agreed. If the perpetrator has any skills the address is spoofed. That being said there are various tools you can use to track the address. If you want something done legal contact the local PD.You can't really spoof an IP address, however you can use a remote computer as a zombie and get it to send such email. This is pretty common.

There are many ways to resolve a domain name from an IP address using a variety of reverse DNS methods. Google "reverse DNS lookup". Then, once you find out the domain and therefore the ISP, you put it in their hands. Domain IP ranges are assigned to ISPs, but usually they are dynamic (DHCP) so an individual user may have a different IP address from time to time. You won't be able to resolve an individual user, but his ISP might if they're provided with the right stimulus. Unfortunately, this often means law enforcement agencies.