PDA

View Full Version : Back Seat issues

herringtech
03-09-2006, 08:38 PM
I realized today that the back seat on my 98 MC PS205 is damaged. I looks like the fiberglass is cracked where the seat slides into the slot. It is making the seat "squishy" and when a heavy (me) person steps on it it slips out of the track and falls to the floor.

Any suggestions on how to replace/repair that? :confused:

SKI*MC
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Buy some fiberglass, and some resin, get to work i guess.... :(

herringtech
03-09-2006, 09:36 PM
I was afraid of that...

SKI*MC
03-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, if its a fiberglass issue, then there really is no other option.

herringtech
03-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Can you buy a new form and re-staple the skin?

SKI*MC
03-09-2006, 09:52 PM
I suppose you can make a new one out of wood, or if you are lucky enough to find a peice od sheep plastic, or plywood i guess. Just to make sure here, you are talking about the seat in the back, or the custion?

herringtech
03-09-2006, 10:17 PM
The bottom seat/cushion. The one that is removable to make a sun deck on the back. If it wasnt raining i would go take a picture of it ;0

erkoehler
03-09-2006, 10:26 PM
The bottom seat/cushion. The one that is removable to make a sun deck on the back. If it wasnt raining i would go take a picture of it ;0

Mine broke too....someone stepped on it HARD at a public dock while we were at a restaurant.

SKI*MC
03-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm guessing you could just repair it with treated wood then, if you wanted to keep it strong and keep it form swelling, wrap it in fiber glass.

herringtech
03-09-2006, 10:30 PM
That is what I was thinking about doing. Just screwing some wood to "shim" up the broken part. I thought also about making a block to wedge under the seat. Not as pretty, but would be a temporary fix.

east tx skier
03-09-2006, 10:32 PM
From the last time this came up, I remember the answer being that wood was going to be your best bet. When I replaced some flooring on an older boat, I was advised to coat the wood with marine epoxy to seal it up good. I'm sure someone will chime in on that. I don't remember if that seat base is plastic, glass, or aluminum, but whatever it is, too much weight tends to bust it as has been demonstrated before.

Someone on here built some extra support into their replacement. Pictures are probably gone now though.

Good luck.

SKI*MC
03-09-2006, 10:33 PM
That would work for the time being. But when its time to work on it, take measurements of the entire peice that broke, recut it, and encase in fiberglass. If your not going to encase it in fiberglass, cut it a little bit smaller, because the wood will swell, and it can ruin your skins.

AirJunky
03-09-2006, 10:58 PM
A quick n dirty fix would be to use some pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6s to build a box under the seat. Then carpet it & bolt it to the seat bottom so that it'll never touch the skin at all. Only the carpet on the floor & maybe not even that.

east tx skier
03-09-2006, 11:23 PM
A quick n dirty fix would be to use some pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6s to build a box under the seat. Then carpet it & bolt it to the seat bottom so that it'll never touch the skin at all. Only the carpet on the floor & maybe not even that.

If you don't use the sundeck much, just carpet that box and call it a day. It'll look like the older back seat.

erkoehler
03-09-2006, 11:55 PM
If you don't use the sundeck much, just carpet that box and call it a day. It'll look like the older back seat.

I might just do this....I usually don't even have the back seat in. :confused:

east tx skier
03-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Are you having back seat issues? You could also just get some large pieces of styrofoam insulation and stack/sandwich them. Then cut the shape with a fine-toothed hack saw. Wrap it in duck tape, then carpet over it. You might want to use a couple of 2x4s as piers in the center where the support problem is, but the ducked styrofoam atached to it would even out the presure and finish off nicely with carpet.

This is how I put the contoured piece on my jump seat. The OEM seats in the early 90s models are styrofoam for ease of removal. You could cut storage (or cooler) pockets in them and put some non skid on the middle to use as a step. Will be plenty strong, light, and cheap.