PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever taken your MasterCraft thru locks?

ski_king
03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Have you ever taken your MasterCraft thru locks?

I am curious how many of us use locks to travel on the river or between lakes.

pq2
03-09-2006, 01:52 PM
whats a thrue lock?

Rockman
03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
We took our MasterCraft thru the lock east of Navy Pier in Downtown Chicago. The guy controlling the lock was pi$$ed off because we were the only boat there at the time. Oh well, he had to do his job.

Rockman
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
whats a thrue lock?

Basically a section of a waterway that leads into another waterway but the two are not on equal heights. The lock is the controlled area between the two.

Example-Chicago River and Lake Michigan.

The front gate is opened for boats to enter while the back gate is closed. Once all the boats are in, the front gate closes and the operator will slowly open the back gate. This will cause the water in the lock to either go up or down. Once the water has entirely entered or left the lock, the boats may then proceed into the next waterway.

ski_king
03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/nav/images/l2a250.jpg whats a thrue lock?

Rockman
03-09-2006, 02:04 PM
http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/nav/images/l2a250.jpg

Damn, that's big (no pun intended). :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Not yet... I may this year..:D

Andyg
03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
I have used the lock between Lake Mendota and Lake Monona in Madison. The lock there only holds about six boats so it is pretty small.

ski_king
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
The last time I went thru I had a little problem.

You are required to have a 100 ft. rope. I didn't have the right rope with me, but I did have my old 90 ft. kevlar barefoot line with me.

I tied one end to the front lifting eye and the lockmaster dropped a hook down to me to loop my line over. He pulled it up and put it over a cleat at the top. I then sat at the stern of my boat holding the other end of the line and let out line as the water went down holding the boat up against the wall.

All went fine for about 10 feet ot the 15 ft. drop until one of the takeoff loops on my barefoot line snagged the cleat up on top of the lock wall.
The lock master was at the other end of the lock attending to other boats and my line was getting tight to the point the front of the boat was starting to lift out of the water. The line was too tight for me to untie it and my knife was in a tool box under the seat that had 3 people sitting on it.

Luckly the lock master got there in time and cut the rope for me.

Lesson learned, always have a lock line that does not have loops in it of any kind.

X-45
03-09-2006, 03:13 PM
The lock master was at the other end of the lock attending to other boats and my line was getting tight to the point the front of the boat was starting to lift out of the water. The line was too tight for me to untie it and my knife was in a tool box under the seat that had 3 people sitting on it.

Hope you had your brown swimsuit on. :eek3:

My lock is only maned a few times a year. Bad news I can't get out. Good news nobody can get in. :cool:

pq2
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
thanks for the thrue block class, in spa˝ish we call that a "presa".

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Ski king, you RULE!!!!! :worthy: :headbang:

:purplaugh Awesome poll!!! You have my compliments, my young apprentice.

UMP

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Here are the soo locks. I have been there many times. went thru them once, but not on my boat. pretty spooky experience.

http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/images/resized/soo.locks.picf2.gif

shepherd
03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Here are the soo locks. I have been there many times. went thru them once, but not on my boat. pretty spooky experience.

Hey UMP, cool pic! I been there!

... what is the UMP option in the poll? :confused:

AirJunky
03-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Been thru the Lake Washington Ship Canal (http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm?sitename=lwsc&pagename=mainpage) on boats ranging from a 17' SeaRay to a 300' cruise ship, but never in the MC.

TMCNo1
03-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes, went to Buffalo, NY, launched at the marina where Lake Erie dumps into the Niagara River, went down river through the Rock Canal Lock, down the Niagara River by Strawberry Island to as close to the falls as allowed, ventured a short way in the infamous Erie Canal, then up river around Strawberry Island on the Canadian side up the river and back into the marina and it was a a full 7 hour cruise. Where Lake Erie goes into the Niagara River under the Peace Bridge the river current is about 12mph. If you go down river and are running 30 mph you are actually traveling 42mph, then going up river if you are running 30 mph you are actually traveling 18mph.That is a strange sensation! Had plenty rope, fenders and a boat hook and the boat NEVER touched the canal wall, didn't want to leave any of it in the walls.
2 days later towed the boat to Toronto, went to the top of the CN Tower and took a small afternoon cruise.

ntidsl
03-10-2006, 07:26 AM
I've been through locks big and small. Ohio River up river from Cincy--Meldahl and down river from Cincy--Markland. I've been through at least 5 in one day down on the Kentucky river through the Frankfort area. Dude, these locks are so old and they leak...the doors are old wood and they turn a crank handle to open and close the gates...they guys wroking the locks are always looking for handouts---beer---and arent ashamed to ask...Didnt see another boat for days on that trip...Talk about glass water...I'll have to learn how to scan some of those pics someday since it was before the days of digital cameras...you could almost hear the banjo playing in the background...yeah kept the 357 with us, the wife and I!

Tips for locks...have beer...lots of ropes and lots of wrags to wipe everything down after leaving the locks...2 or 3 terry clothe wrags and 3-4 absorbers!

jlf
03-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Lock thru all the time with our MasterCraft. The last run of the season was just a booze cruise in late October, the fall colors were beautiful. We locked thru three locks going up river and drove up to the fourth, we didn't lock thru that one though had already burned about half a tank of gas and most of the marina stops had been closed for the season so we headed home. In fact none of the ropes were down so we had to just float in all the locks. Even had to show off a bit, at every lock we had an audience so we had to crank the stereo, even had a few ask what the tower was for.

ntidsl
03-10-2006, 09:31 AM
hey jlf which river?

jbfootin
03-10-2006, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=ski_king]The last time I went thru I had a little problem.

QUOTE]
I saw this happen to a boat on the lock once. They dropped down ropes for the boats to hold on to. On a boat across from us they threw the rope to a girl, who tied it off to the boat so she could get back to drinking, instead of just holding on to is as she was supposed to. Needless to say, as the water started to lower, the boat started to lift out of the water. The guy in the boat had a hatchet that he started wacking at the rope with, until he finally cut thru and the boat droped. Pretty cool to watch... as long as it isn't my boat!

whitedog
03-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Sounds like Jlf was on the Mississippi.

We use the locks on the Miss many times a summer. :)
Have locked thru in everything from a jet ski to a 40' cruiser.
Yes the MC has seen its share of locks. :steering:

erkoehler
03-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Never been in, on, or near a lock w/ the MC.