PDA

View Full Version : Dry suite frustrations...

warren
03-09-2006, 02:30 PM
My wife purchased a Gladiator dry suite from Overtons on December 29th 2004. I started to notice dry rotting on the wrist and ankle seals late season 2005. When I took the suite to a professional dive shop this past week to have the seals replaced the repair tech said that the seals should not have gone bad this soon and she thinks it is defective. She suggested to call Overton's and see what they suggest because it probably has a warranty. Sure enough it did, a one year warranty.

Here's my problem. Overton's "The Biggest Watersport Dealer" will not do anything to help me out other than offer free shipping on $90.00 (out of my pocket) of replacement seals. Talk about customer service!

Any suggestions?

jbfootin
03-09-2006, 03:31 PM
The seals are sensitive. I think that 303 Aerospace protectant would help them last longer. I just got turned on to the stuff and it seams to work great. :twocents:

baedriver
03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I just got my drysuit and the seals looked a little gray and I put that 303 on it and they look great. I put it in a trash bag and keep it away from the sun. The only reason I do all this is that I have a friend that has the same suit and the original seals for five years. That sucks about overtons good luck.

warren
03-09-2006, 05:34 PM
The tech at the dive shop told me not to use any protectant on them, which I haven't been anyhow.

Cary K.
03-09-2006, 05:45 PM
You definitely need to protect them, with either SealSaver or 303. Not only will it help them from drying out, it makes it easier and less likely to tear getting the suit on and off.

baedriver
03-09-2006, 05:46 PM
The drysuit instructions on mine said to use a treatment and keep it away from the sun. It said that 303 was ok to use and by the looks of the seals it looks like it does the job.

rodltg2
03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
do you keep it in the garage near any gas tanks? the vapros will dry them out fast.

warren
03-09-2006, 06:16 PM
do you keep it in the garage near any gas tanks? the vapros will dry them out fast.

I do keep it in the garage in the boat.

Rockman
03-09-2006, 07:06 PM
The tech at the dive shop told me not to use any protectant on them, which I haven't been anyhow.

That is bad advice. Not putting on a sealer might work for scuba suits but not for waterski suits. You must keep the seals moist and / or protected.

I do keep it in the garage in the boat.

This is not a good place to keep them. When we are not using them, we put the protectant on the seals, roll the drysuits up like you would roll a bath towel and then put in a clean plastic garbage bag and kept in our basement off the floor.

We have had ours since 1996 and only had to replace a seal due to someone putting "her" finger nail through it (not to mention any names :D ). That was ok though, it was only 21 degrees outside when it happened.

There is a place down in Florida that doe awesome work on replacing the seals. It is well worth it to have it done rather than do it yourself.

Ocean Tech
Attention: Repair Department
4390 West Road Drive
Bay #2
West Palm Beach, Florida 33407

Phone: 1-561-845-0030

Cary K.
03-09-2006, 08:17 PM
I've sent my suit to Ocean Tech a few times. First due to not treating the seals and they dried out, then from loaning it out and having it come back busted. They are a great company with fast turnaround and fair pricing. Plus they repair BFI seals where many other comapnies won't. The dealer I bought my suit from gave me there name, so they may even mfg BFI or other suits there.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-09-2006, 09:55 PM

I have never heard of a gas vapro Rod.....?? Is that some new kind of thing? :confused:

AirJunky
03-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Wiley's & Adrenaline Watersports are recommending no treatment on the seals since about 2002. This is new info & would also effect seals on USIA, OS, & Bare to name a few since their all made in the same factory. In the past we used food grade silicone on the seals but thats changed.

And the advice to keep the suit in a bag out of sunlight & petroleum vapors is good too. Otherwise you'll get exactly what you've got.

tex
03-09-2006, 11:03 PM
i have never put anything on my seals. suit was bought in 1991 and still doen't leak. i just have 2 rules 1)know how to put it on and take it off. 2)Nobody wears it but me!

03-09-2006, 11:12 PM
your guys suits must last cuz you dont let any vapros get near them. ;)

erkoehler
03-09-2006, 11:13 PM
ump, u better get some 303 for yours....

bigmac
03-09-2006, 11:32 PM
I spray my seals with 303 each time, but I don't have long enough experience with these dry suits to know if it keeps the seals healthy. I know it doesn't hurt them though, and it certainly does make it easer to get in the things, especially my BFI suit with wrist and ankle seals that are about as thick as an old innertube.

03-09-2006, 11:50 PM
ump, u better get some 303 for yours....

NO I have some of the stuff from BFI. that spray.

and besides I am gonna keep it away from all vapros. ;)

CoFooter
03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Where do you guys get your 303? I've looked at Home Depot and other hardware stores and can't find it.

Thanks

jkski
03-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Other than my seals getting ripped from allowing someone else to wear it that didn't know how to take it off properly, my seals have lasted for years. The secret is what most everyone has already stated here... 303 and keep them out of the sunlight and dry environment. I always spray 303 on mine after each use, inside and outside of all 5 seals, then, as long as the rest of the suit is dry, it goes into a plastic bag.

rodltg2
03-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Where do you guys get your 303? I've looked at Home Depot and other hardware stores and can't find it.

Thanks

west marine, overtons ...

rodltg2
03-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I have never heard of a gas vapro Rod.....?? Is that some new kind of thing? :confused:

youve never hears of vapros, beware its nasty stuff

erkoehler
03-10-2006, 11:04 PM
I got mine at the MC dealer in N. WI.

03-11-2006, 12:48 PM
youve never hears of vapros, beware its nasty stuff

Now that you mention vapors....... :confused:
so on the serious side, here is a question for you. Is it bad to have a dry suit in the basement where the furnace is? I mean everyone know that NO furnace is 100% effiecient meaning that when it kicks on, you probably get just a small poof of unburned natural gas that seeps out from under the furnace. will that minute amount harm your seals? or should we file this under UMP's paranoia file? I would think that if there was enough vapors to harm your seals, you would have other problems to worry about like fire, breathing fumes, etc....

BFI told me just to hang the suit in my basement. anyway, I dont know if I should move it. Its about 5 feet from the furnace hanging up from the ceiling.

beef
03-11-2006, 01:08 PM
I keep mine submerged in a huge vat of 303. This seems to keep the seals conditioned nicely! :D

On a more serious note - I have always heard to keep it rolled up and sealed in a bag after drying the suit and treating the seals and zipper. I haven't had mine long enough to comment on whether this pays off, but I just use one of those Ziploc Big Bags for storage. Had a friend that kept his in the boat, and after a few years the neck seal just disintegrated. Must be something to the evil vapor theories.

erkoehler
03-12-2006, 02:44 AM
What do you treat the zipper with?

beef
03-12-2006, 10:45 AM
I've heard various do's and do-not's, including just using paraffin wax or silicone. I picked up a tube of zipper-tech from BFI. Looks like a giant chap stick & makes the zipper work a lot easier.

erkoehler
03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
I've heard various do's and do-not's, including just using paraffin wax or silicone. I picked up a tube of zipper-tech from BFI. Looks like a giant chap stick & makes the zipper work a lot easier.

I'll have to look into that "wax" for the zipper...haven't seen any or heard anything about that before.

03-12-2006, 01:09 PM
I got that stuff for mine too Erk. Its just like he said, Like a big tube of chap stick for your zipper. except its NOT chap stick. I got it right from BFI along with some spray for the seals.

erkoehler
03-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I got that stuff for mine too Erk. Its just like he said, Like a big tube of chap stick for your zipper. except its NOT chap stick. I got it right from BFI along with some spray for the seals.

Found it on the web site....have to order some when I dig the suit out.

DanC
03-13-2006, 12:39 PM
read this

http://www.ossystems.com/repair/congr.htm

point one = use silicone on your seals after you clean them.
point two = store your suit (after drying) in a bag to minimize air flow around it.

Do at least these two things and your seals will last many years.
Don't do at least these two things and they will probably not last 2 years.

tex
03-13-2006, 02:05 PM
The only problem with my suit is that year after year, it keeps getting smaller?