PDA

View Full Version : Props: NiBrAl vs. Stainless

TonyB
03-08-2006, 11:28 AM
What are the advantages of each? Which is best?

(i.e. stainless has less flex.)

I know that OJ dropped their stainless line due to the high cost of steel.

Otherwise?

Thank you for your support.

BrianM
03-08-2006, 11:37 AM
With the CNCd nibral props that are on the market I do not see any advantage to a stainless prop.

Leroy
03-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I believe cost may be the only advantage of stainless? (and a pretty shiny look)

Leec
03-14-2006, 06:29 PM
I have a 3 blade 14x18 1 1/8 shaft Nibral prop for sale. It is the OEM that came with my MC which I no longer have. First $200 gets it, plus postage. email me at home at LCromwell@satx.rr.com or tomorrow at work at:
Cromwell.Lee@aaa-Texas.com (Cromwell.Lee@aaa-Texas.com)

I also have speedometer tubing new in the package. I also have for anyone who has a boat dock 3 or 4 packages of white bumper rail,Hull Guard or Dock Edging. I think they are in 6 ft sections but you can cut them smaller and space them out. Made by Taylor.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Ah, yes shiny. I like it....

PendO
03-14-2006, 09:23 PM
I believe cost may be the only advantage of stainless? (and a pretty shiny look)

more top end with the SS, however, if you hit something with the SS prop you will be spending a S-load of money as it damage will go all of the way up the shaft (i.e. SS does not bend like Nibral or Brass) ... when you impact with the SS the damage will go to the softest part first, rather than just tearing up the prop.

PendO
03-14-2006, 09:24 PM
What are the advantages of each? Which is best?

(i.e. stainless has less flex.)

I know that OJ dropped their stainless line due to the high cost of steel.

Otherwise?

Thank you for your support.

the OJ 4 blade on our 04 X star cracked after/during the first season (not from impact, just a defect) ... replaced with no SS (worked fine) and when my dad got shallow he only had to replace the prop:)

east tx skier
03-14-2006, 09:42 PM
more top end with the SS, however, if you hit something with the SS prop you will be spending a S-load of money as it damage will go all of the way up the shaft (i.e. SS does not bend like Nibral or Brass) ... when you impact with the SS the damage will go to the softest part first, rather than just tearing up the prop.

If you hit something hard enough with nibral, it'll bend the shaft pretty good, too.

PendO
03-14-2006, 09:43 PM
If you hit something hard enough with nibral, it'll bend the shaft pretty good, too.

father in law? is the strut cracked too? (I guess everything is bigger in Texas:))

east tx skier
03-14-2006, 09:51 PM
His boat. I was driving unfortunately. Happened 07/04/2004. Hit part of a channel marker that had broken off years before. Prop was fixed by OJ. Shaft was replaced. Gelcoat was fixed Strut was, amazingly enough, undamaged.

Kevin 89MC
03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Wish I had a pic of our "incident" 8 years ago. Nailed a rock hard. Looked similar to Eastie's pic, except the prop was worse. Bent the shaft and strut, surprisingly no fiberglass/gelcoat cracking at all. Tough boats! No trans issues either, which I'm sure we would have had with a SS prop. Nibral won't prevent shaft/boat damage in all cases, but I believe it will definitely transmit less damage to the trans/engine/boat than a SS prop.

east tx skier
03-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Kevin, here's a better picture of the prop damage.

rodltg2
03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
i had stainless on my TT , and gfor pirvate lake use only it's great. i was always scared to take the boat out on public water and hit something. at least it can take a minor hits and remain perfect , one good hit and ... well you know

Kevin 89MC
03-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Heck Eastie, that's nuthin' - Fire it up and GO! :steering: Mine was curled worse than that, but not much.
The 2nd pic does make it look worse (or the 1st pic made it look not so bad! :D )

Did your F-I-L get that prop reconditoned? I got mine fixed by a local "prop guru" and I still use it as a spare. It's perfectly balanced and looks great, for being 17 years old. :banana:

flipper
03-15-2006, 09:17 PM
The SS does look nice, but I would rather tear up the prop than risk destroying all the more expensive stuff behind it.

rodltg2
03-15-2006, 09:19 PM
eastie , was that able to be fixed?

TonyB
03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I originally posed this question because, at the time, there was a Cutter, four blade, stainless, brand new prop, in a 14X18 1 1/8" LH configuration on ebay with a $130 "Buy it Now".

But you guys talked me out of it.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2006, 12:12 AM
I originally posed this question because, at the time, there was a Cutter, four blade, stainless, brand new prop, in a 14X18 1 1/8" LH configuration on ebay with a $130 "Buy it Now".

But you guys talked me out of it.
That's what we were hoping thanks.... I like my new $130.00 prop alot.....

J/K..;)

Leroy
03-16-2006, 12:20 AM
What do you think I would pick up with my top end being 44-45MPH?

PendO
03-16-2006, 12:28 AM
What do you think I would pick up with my top end being 44-45MPH?

Leroy - I PM'd Jim@baws with the same question a while back on my 197 (at least I think it was Jim, but it may have been MYMC) regardless, 2-3 mph rings a bell for the MCX on the 197 (w/ or w/o slot - doesn't matter for top end) ... might get more with a different hull, but I bet one of those guys might know for sure.

Leroy
03-16-2006, 12:36 AM
I would believe that as a trade off between stainless and nibral.