PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Coolant in block / changing fuel filter

sfitzgerald351
09-21-2004, 12:30 AM
3 questions, now that it's time to start thinking about putting the boat away.

I swear (though I couldn't find the references in my searches tonight) that I recall seeing that the newer boats recommend just draining the block and not refilling with any type of coolant. The manual for my 1984 I think tells me to refill with coolant. Typically, I've just drained the water from the block and manifolds, replaced the plugs, and then run 5 gallons of RV antifreeze into the block and spraying the fogging oil in for the last 1-2 gallons. I then drain the coolant from the tranny cooler and intake hose, but leave it in the block, the rational that the insides of the block will rust otherwise. Is this the correct procedure or should I redrain everything? :confused:

Also I have a rather large looking fuel filter that I think acts as a water separator as well. It's mounted beside my tank and is about 10" tall. There is a screw-off canister with a small plug at the bottom. If I unscrew the canister to remove the fuel filter will the whole thing be filled with gas? Am I correct to assume that taking out the small plug from the bottom will drain any water that has been separated? (nothing comes out from that hole). Anything else to know about this? :confused:

Finally, my manual recommends 10W40 oil which I've been using. But there have been lots of improvements in oil since 1984 and I'm wondering if a different weight might be warranted. This is for the northeast, May through October. 40s at night, 90's during the day at the extremes and normally 60s-80s under most conditions.

Thanks!

Bert
09-23-2004, 12:27 AM
3 questions, now that it's time to start thinking about putting the boat away.

I swear (though I couldn't find the references in my searches tonight) that I recall seeing that the newer boats recommend just draining the block and not refilling with any type of coolant. The manual for my 1984 I think tells me to refill with coolant. Typically, I've just drained the water from the block and manifolds, replaced the plugs, and then run 5 gallons of RV antifreeze into the block and spraying the fogging oil in for the last 1-2 gallons. I then drain the coolant from the tranny cooler and intake hose, but leave it in the block, the rational that the insides of the block will rust otherwise. Is this the correct procedure or should I redrain everything? :confused:
I have left RV antrifeeze in some winters and just drained the block others. I don't think it matters one way or the other. RV antrifeeze doesn't have any rust inhibitors in it. I usually run the engine once a month and than winterize it again.