PDA

View Full Version : Jeweling Dash Panels 101

dichdoc
03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I've almost got my aluminum dash panels on my 84 finished and have learned much. After removing all the switches and guages you need to sandblast or somehow remove the annodizing on the panel. From this to...

erkoehler
03-07-2006, 10:03 PM
The suspense is killing me.....

dichdoc
03-07-2006, 10:03 PM
....This, you need to start with a polished piece of metal, the smoother the better. I wish I had spent more time on this step. To polish I used a buffing wheel on an electric drill and emory buffing compound around twenty bucks.

dichdoc
03-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I ordered a one inch engine turning tool from Eastwood auto for around twenty five bucks(they also have a 1/2" size). It's basically an abrasive cylinder which chucks into your drill press it came with good directions. You need to decide on your turning pattern I went with a 9/16" spacing which gave a good overlap. I marked a piece of plywood every 9/16" and drew lines across the entire board to line up the fence. The first board gets clamped to the drill press table. The fence was a long thin piece of plywood with marks every 9/16". The fence gets clamped to the first board and moved after every row. The dash panels are screwed to another piece of plywood and I indexed the Right edge with the ticks on the fence.

dichdoc
03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I would recomend getting a comfortable stool as it took almost two hours to complete just the guage pod. Use a slow speed on your drill press (around 900 rpm) and the same down pressure and contact time, I used a ten count.

Footin
03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Looks great, reminds me of my old Trans am dash.

dichdoc
03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
This is possibly more mind numbing then sanding and oiling Teak! What do you think, is this the first jeweled dash on a MasterCraft? Now if I can find a source for a big fire bird decal for the bow....

WTRSK1R
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
WOW ! That Looks Awesome ! :banana:

TonyB
03-07-2006, 10:49 PM
This is possibly more mind numbing then sanding and oiling Teak! What do you think, is this the first jeweled dash on a MasterCraft? Now if I can find a source for a big fire bird decal for the bow....
Now that would be sweeeeeet!

michael freeman
03-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Looks great, reminds me of my old Trans am dash.

That's what I was thinking. (I had a 76 Trans Am)

I think it will look good

88 PS190
03-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Think the one inch spacing was definately the way to go. Have pictures of your transition into the sides of the panel? did you make a border? or did you try to do the corners?

TMCNo1
03-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Congratulations, you did a beautiful job and you should be proud. I've tried doing that in the past with moderate success but it didn't look that good but you mastered it!

erkoehler
03-07-2006, 11:51 PM
How long did you practice for?

Mag_Red
03-08-2006, 12:29 AM
NIce job! I thinkI just found a new use for my drill press :D

dichdoc
03-08-2006, 10:32 AM
I have not done the sides of the lower dash piece yet the guage pod and the main part was all my small brain could handle yesterday without thoughts of stripping down and running naked into the Montana wilderness! My plan is to use some black pinstripe down the curve to give a clean brake. The instructions did advise to use a flat, square piece without holes drilled in it. I'' post some finished pics when installed. As for practice after screwing around with different methods and tools for half a day I did three test swirls with the new tool and went for it!

Sodar
03-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Looks Awesome! I do not know how you sat there for two hours, I would have ran for the woods!! ;)

dichdoc
03-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Here's the finished product. For the side of the lower panel I just got close to the bend and was going to cover the bend with pinstripe but the wife liked it the way it is. Notice the all new switches and fuse holders as well as the new guage on the lower panel left side, for depth and air and water temp. I also painted all the plastic and screws with Krylon fusion gloss black.

X-45
03-10-2006, 10:33 PM
You need to start doing that on the side. Excellent job.

:headbang:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-11-2006, 02:13 AM
Looks great, reminds me of my old Trans am dash.I was thinking the exact same thing. My '78 T/A had similar. I love it.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-11-2006, 02:19 AM
is this the first jeweled dash on a MasterCraft?
This was the first picture I took of my MC when I bought it......Love it....:D

michael freeman
03-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Here's the finished product. For the side of the lower panel I just got close to the bend and was going to cover the bend with pinstripe but the wife liked it the way it is. Notice the all new switches and fuse holders as well as the new guage on the lower panel left side, for depth and air and water temp. I also painted all the plastic and screws with Krylon fusion gloss black.

Did you put a clear coat over the jeweled alum. it to keep it shinny?

André
03-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Very nice work dichdoc!Congrats :cool:

ski_king
03-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Very nice dichdoc!

You may want to consider coating it with satin clear. YOu may have a problem with the sun reflecting back into your face.

erkoehler
03-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Never thought about the reflection, but that could be BAD!!!!

Looks awesome, especially all put together. Can't wait to see it in the boat this summer

Workin' 4 Toys
03-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Did you put a clear coat over the jeweled alum. it to keep it shinny?
I'd recommend a nice coat of clear powder coating to keep it from oxidizing.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Never thought about the reflection, but that could be BAD!!!!
It would only be a problem if it was a horizontal surface or if it will be at a 45. An aluminum dash is no problem. Never had a problem with mine. I have more glare from the windshield than the dash.

dichdoc
03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I did clear coat it, should have powder coated but have a hard time springing for it when I don't meet the minimum. I am very disapointed I was not the first! Was that a stock item? I wonder if anyone has done a snowmobile tunnel! If you need me I'll be at the drill press... for the next ten years!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2006, 11:02 PM
I did clear coat it, should have powder coated but have a hard time springing for it when I don't meet the minimum. I am very disapointed I was not the first! Was that a stock item? I wonder if anyone has done a snowmobile tunnel! If you need me I'll be at the drill press... for the next ten years!
Doing a sled tunnel would be sweet.
My powdercoaters don't ask me to meet a minimum, so I guess I take it for granted. I usually tell them to toss my stuff in the oven with other's items when its fired up. It takes longer to get the stuff back, but saves me some $.

dichdoc
03-13-2006, 11:18 PM
My local powder coater charges by the square foot, my price is around 1.82 a ft for a one coat. They charge a minimum of fifty dollars. The dash panels wouldn't come close but in a few years when I'm taking it apart to have it powder coated I'll kick myself!

OSUspenc99
10-15-2007, 11:09 AM
I was looking at doing the same thing with my dash. Quick question for you. what brand of gauges are those? If you dont mind me asking to you remember how much all the gauges ran you? Lastly are they the standard size of gauges. 3" speedo and such.

Thanks

O2BESOHUGE
10-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Dude, If Your Going Away From The Sun - Your Gonna Blind Yourself!! Its Going To Be A Big Mirror!

O2

88 PS190
10-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Dude, If Your Going Away From The Sun - Your Gonna Blind Yourself!! Its Going To Be A Big Mirror!

O2

Yes and no, atleast he broke the polish off it by engine turning.

He could of course get it painted in a tinted clear or other transparent to reduce glare.

dichdoc
10-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Sorry I haven't been looking lately as I've moved into firewood cutting and getting plow truck ready for winter! The guages are the original ones never looked for a brand I can if you need that. I've got two seasons on the dash with a clear laquer rattle can finish and am waaaay happy. Only thing I have yet to do is label the switches can't bring myself to cover anything up. TB