PDA

View Full Version : thunder storms and wakeboard towers....

warren
03-07-2006, 04:00 PM
I know your supposed to get off the lake in bad weather, however if you cant or if your in the process of getting off the water, is are the wakeboard towers grounded?

Maristar210
03-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Warren,

Hard to do while your on the water. On the trailer they would be but no way on the water, more like a lightning rod :eek:

Steve

warren
03-07-2006, 04:04 PM
so basically wear your rubbers and put on a wet suite

X-45
03-07-2006, 04:09 PM
so basically wear your rubbers and put on a wet suite

Sould be quit a light show. :cool:

OhioProstar
03-07-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't think they are, but like whip antennas a tower could offer some protection if grounded properly. What laws effect a vessel suspended in water without contact to a ground?

Hoff1
03-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Iíve been caught is some major lightning with my extended pylon up. :eek: Not cool.

AirJunky
03-07-2006, 04:14 PM
If the tower is bolted to fiberglass & there is no wires to the boat's chassis, and the boat is out on the water, no, it's not grounded.
Even if the boat is sitting on the trailer (wood bunks), it wouldn't be grounded.
But it probably doesn't matter at all. I've never heard of a board or ski boat being hit by lightning, but sure as he11 wouldn't want to be in board when it happens!

bepresto
03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
had a friend get caught in lightning storm in Oklahoma in his 04 X-Star. They put all the kids in a friends 35 ft fountain with cuddy. He got hit by lightning and found on the tower were it struck. He also found a burn mark on a cooler were it hit also. He does not remember much, but he remembers waking up in the fetus position with the boat still idling in circles and the electrical system fried. I told him he was one lucky cat, and has eight lives left.

X-45
03-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Lighting hit the I/O boat next to me once. Never knew a person could turn blue that fast. Couple of cardic thumps and some cpr and he was back. The lighting came out his toe and melted his ring.

bucky
03-07-2006, 04:37 PM
My tower has backing plates in fiberglass, but does have a ground through the speaker wires to the engine and through the prop shaft to water.

But it doesn't really matter. Lightning, several hundred thousand volts of it, has just traveled through half a mile of nothing but air. Your quarter inch of wetsuit won't make too much of a difference.

88 PS190
03-07-2006, 04:53 PM
You have the advantage on freshwater as water itself doesn't conduct just its mineral content. If it were distilled it'd be better yet. But its still better than to be hanging onto a similar tower in your yard.

michael freeman
03-07-2006, 05:51 PM
My tower has backing plates in fiberglass, but does have a ground through the speaker wires to the engine and through the prop shaft to water.

But it doesn't really matter. Lightning, several hundred thousand volts of it, has just traveled through half a mile of nothing but air. Your quarter inch of wetsuit won't make too much of a difference.

I always laugh at the people who think the tires of a car is what protects them from lightning. It is actually the steel cage of the car that protects them.

Leroy
03-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Typically the tower is not substantially grounded, Now the engine, etc are via a drive shaft sticking into the water when you are on the water.

I guess if it were grounded good it would act somewhat as a lightening rod and direct current through it to the ground.

NOTE; if lightening is that close you are dead or very lucky.

G-man
03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Tower or no tower if it strikes that close to you on the lake it's not going to be pretty.

BrianM
03-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Two words.

Bzzzzzzbzzzzzzzzbt BOOM! :eek3:

I was on a sailboat that got hit in a storm once. Not fun.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-07-2006, 06:31 PM
I watched a show on lightning once and it said that tall objects and conductive objects really didnt have anything to do with it. They said that the spark will jump to the point where there is greatest elctrical potential or opposite charge. Sometimes it means trees, sometimes it means other things. I have a cousing whos truck was hit by lightning, melted all the interior, melted every wiring harness, basically it totalled it. yes, it had rubber tires of course. There were plenty of tall objects around it, trees, telephone poles, etc... why did it hit his truck? no idea. Anyway, it was impressive. That show said lightning is compeltely unpredictable and can strike virtually anywhere.

remeber, these arent MY theories on it, just what I have seen and experienced. :twocents:

bucky
03-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Look at it this way. If you hear the thunder, congratulation! you survived.

warren
03-07-2006, 06:39 PM
I was actually thinking it would be kind of cool to somehow harness the electrical current to run my boat this year since the price of gas keeps on rising.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I know your supposed to get off the lake in bad weather, however if you cant or if your in the process of getting off the water, is are the wakeboard towers grounded?
With this theory in mind, is this the reason we shouldn't use stainless steel braided ropes???;)

SKI*MC
03-07-2006, 11:16 PM
i have been caught in the middle of a lightning storm, in the middle of the lake, with the highpole up. SCARY!