PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Puckett leaves us

sully
03-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I can't believe he has passed away.
Very sad day here in Minnesota
Kirby Puckett (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1694091)

I will never forget his catch or his home run in game six of the 91 World Series.
Truly amazing.

erkoehler
03-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Sad day for baseball.....

Maristar210
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
.318 lifetime average. Nothing more to say except he was a class act all the way.

He takes the special ones early, sometimes.

RIP GB KP

Steve

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-06-2006, 11:07 PM
My parents used to take me to see the Tigers play the Twins at the Metrodome. I was in little league at the time I started going there. it was about 1985 to 1988. I will never forget the way the announcer said his name over the PA system

"playing center field, Kiiiiiirrrrrbbbbbyyyyyyyyy Puckett!!!!" and the crowd would go absolutley bonkers, everytime he said it. Being from MI, we were Tiger fans, but we would even cheer for Kirby, just becuase it seemed like the thing to do I guess. The fans in MN just adored him. He had more crowd reaction than ANY other player on the field. They just loved him. The thing that impressed me most, was he had fans practically hanging over the railings trying to get an autograph, and he would go up and sign every one of them. He never turned anybody away that I saw. He was a fine baseball player.

RIP :(

Bongo
03-06-2006, 11:08 PM
This sucks. By all accounts, he played the game as it was meant to be played -- with lots of youthful enthusiasm.

As a long-time fan of the Twinkies, I've never enjoyed a game more than Game 6 of the '91 Series. "Hop on my back, boys, I'll carry you." (paraphrased) And he did it in that game and the Series. (With deference to Jack Morris, who pitched a 10-inning shut-out in Game 7 for the win.)

While he withdrew from public view over the past couple years, he still represents the heart and soul of the Twins.

Bad day for baseball...

Bongo

LakePirate
03-06-2006, 11:12 PM
I will never forget his catch or his home run in game six of the 91 World Series.
Truly amazing.

Either will I.....for completely different reasons

Kirby played the game it was supposed to be played, he will be missed.

milkmania
03-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Either will I.....for completely different reasons

Kirby played the game it was supposed to be played, he will be missed.

Truly amazing.

wow, I can't believe it:(

when I think of Kirby, that catch is the first thing I think of

vegashomeexpert
03-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Just about named my firstborn son Kirby for the man he was and how he played. Ended up naming him Craig, for Roger Craig (niners) and Roger Craig (manager of the Giants). Both great men in the bay area where my son was born. Funny how you remember things like that. Kirby was the epitimy of sport! Miss ya KP!