PDA

View Full Version : 86 Powerslot Tranny

6ballsisall
09-20-2004, 06:32 PM
I am looking at an 86 MC with the Powerslot tranny. It looks like the tranny may be toast in it. Anybody have any ideas where and how much one of these trannys will cost? How easy are these for an "ok" shade tree mechanic to put in or is this something to leave up the professional?

Jeff

Thrall
09-20-2004, 06:37 PM
I don't know what it costs to rebuild one, but they are not too difficult to replace. Kinda like pulling the tranny out of your car, except you don't have to work upside down.

André
09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
If i remember correctly,a place call "Fantastic finish" is specializing in skiboat tranny rebuilt and sales.Do a search on the old site.

ski_king
09-20-2004, 09:31 PM
I believe Discount Inboard Marine had them listed on their website earlier this year somewhere around $1800 if I remember right. But they are not listed there now.

I wonder if the old Borg Warner's 1.5:1 are getting hard to find?

Here is the website for the place Andre mentioned. Looks like they are in the Cleveland Area.
http://www.fantasticfinishmarine.com/skiboattrans.html

I saw one up for sale on ebay earlier this summer also.

6ballsisall
09-20-2004, 10:13 PM
So what are the real difference between the Velvet Drive and the Powerslot. Are the 2 easily interchangeable? How much added holeshot do you really gain from the Powerslot?

ski_king
09-21-2004, 07:32 AM
So what are the real difference between the Velvet Drive and the Powerslot. Are the 2 easily interchangeable? How much added holeshot do you really gain from the Powerslot?

Mastercraft used 2 different Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmissions, the 1:1 and the 1.5:1 (Powerslot).
The power slot is a longer than the 1:1. It also uses a 1 1/8 in. shaft where the 1:1 uses a 1 in. shaft. I believe in 85 the powerslot came with a 14 x 18 prop and the 1:1 came with a 13 x 13 prop.
You would have to change the transmission, prop shaft, strut, prop, shaft seal….
I believe it will be much less expensive to have the existing transmission serviced.

The power slot does add extra power on start. I know this can be debated. I drove and skied behind both before I bought mine, you can tell the difference. Top sped is about the same, powerslot has more turbulence from the bigger prop in the center.

Tom Wortham
09-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Mastercraft used 2 different Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmissions, the 1:1 and the 1.5:1 (Powerslot).
The power slot is a longer than the 1:1. It also uses a 1 1/8 in. shaft where the 1:1 uses a 1 in. shaft. I believe in 85 the powerslot came with a 14 x 18 prop and the 1:1 came with a 13 x 13 prop.
You would have to change the transmission, prop shaft, strut, prop, shaft seal….
I believe it will be much less expensive to have the existing transmission serviced.

The power slot does add extra power on start. I know this can be debated. I drove and skied behind both before I bought mine, you can tell the difference. Top sped is about the same, powerslot has more turbulence from the bigger prop in the center.

Can't speak to the Powerslot. However, my '86 has the 1:1 with the 13x13 OJ prop. I'm 6'4" 225 and if the driver stands on it... I come flying out of the water (slalom). Plenty of pull for me and another skier (smaller size or on two skies). When pulling two slalom skiers my size... You could use a little more power. Sounds like per the tread above to keep the 1:5:1. :twocents:

G-man
09-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Power Slot has a couple of advantages, as stated better hole shot, also it has a stronger pull around the bouys or worded another way it holds speed better. Combine this with Perfect Pass and your times through a course are incredibly accurate.

lakes Rick
09-21-2004, 06:07 PM
I know there are some places that rebuild these on an "exchange " basis, or will rebuild yours... SOMEONE on here has the info... Make your life easy and have your extra MONEY OPTION powerslot rebuilt....

6ballsisall
09-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Andre and powerslot82, thanks for the lead on Fantastic Finish. I talked with the guy there today. He seemed very knowledgable about these boats. Pricing seemed very competitive and 1 year warranty I thought was good too. 4 day turnaround on trannys sent in, not bad!! Well if the deal works out on this boat I think I will be giving this vendor a try. I will keep everyone informed!!

ski_king
09-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Andre and powerslot82, thanks for the lead on Fantastic Finish. I talked with the guy there today. He seemed very knowledgable about these boats. Pricing seemed very competitive and 1 year warranty I thought was good too. 4 day turnaround on trannys sent in, not bad!! Well if the deal works out on this boat I think I will be giving this vendor a try. I will keep everyone informed!!

If you don't mind, what was his price? I may need someday.

6ballsisall
09-23-2004, 08:30 AM
I don't have my notes in front of me but I seem to remember $850 for a complete rebuild with warranty and spin test.