PDA

View Full Version : Mounting to the Windshield Frame

east tx skier
03-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Okay, so I picked up that rearview mirror bracket like they have on the late 90s prostars on ebay last week. I'm going to mount it on the passenger side above the o-seat. It has two inserts with thumb screws to attach the bracket to the windshield (like the things you use to mount a bimini top to the windshield). But the screws that came with it are way too long.

So what's the trick for mounting something (screwing it in) to the windshield frame. I recall a cautionary tale from last year about a guy who went too low and cracked his side glass while doing bimini.

How long should the screws be? Any specific type of screw? Do I drill first?

Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

erkoehler
03-05-2006, 10:50 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3985&page=1&pp=10&highlight=bimini+install

That is what not to do......

east tx skier
03-06-2006, 11:08 AM
B.U.M.P. C'm'on, I know someone has put on a bimini top before.

Footin
03-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Doug, you should be safe to drill into the round part on the top. DO NOT drill into the flat part, this is how I broke mine.

jimmer2880
03-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Slight threadjack here...

While looking at the back of my stereo yesterday, I noticed that I couldn't see any windshield bolts that had their nuts still attached. I went around. Out of all the bolts sticking down from the windshield, only 2 had nuts on them. I have no idea how I still have a windshield.

After installing the nuts, I then put a piece of electrical shrink wrap on the nut & strank it to keep it from happening again. I know that I could have just loc-tite, but I didn't want to spill any in the boat (like I know I would have). Worked well.

east tx skier
03-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Jimmer, I went and checked that last week and had one missing. Windshield feels much more snug now.

Boat is at the dealership getting the mirror bracket put on for $20. Cheap insurance on a $500 piece of glass.

redmike
03-06-2006, 04:27 PM
well, if everyone took that approach, this board would be boring.....just messin with you ets.....you probly made the right choice....

AirJunky
03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
HEhe, how about just remove the frame & drill the hole while it's off the glass?

east tx skier
03-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, they took it off to look and when they did, the glass slid up with the top of the frame. They spent the rest of the afternoon removing the entire windshield to get it to go back in right. All for the $20 they quoted me. What's more, it was a no go on drilling. No room to do it.

Anyone want to buy a mirror bracket for a late 90s prostar. They're nice, but they won't work on my boat.

André
03-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Isn'it a clip-on style bracket?Pix?

erkoehler
03-06-2006, 08:22 PM
ETS,

How about a picture?

east tx skier
03-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Once the mounts are in place, it comes on and off with the thumb screws. My father in law has one on his 98 and it works well. Just not meant for my windshield.

Should work with the CIPA comp mirror available at DIM (without a bracket) for $35.

AirJunky
03-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Weird. Never seen one like that. So the flat part of the bracket screws into the flat part of the windshield?

Seems like the brackets like the newer MC or 'bu would work better. They screw into the rounded part of the frame. Here is an example of one. (http://images.traderonline.com/img/dealer/bay_watersports/baywatersports252342_2.jpg)
And here is another one. (http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/1551813/82119138_3.jpg)

Rather than drill holes in the windshield, the brackets I used go around 3 sides of the frame & clamp down using the thumbscrews in your pic. They come stock on Calabrias & Nautiques & were like $25 each, plus the mirror. I replaced the thumbscrews with ss torx heads. Look great & stay put.

When I installed my heater vents, I removed the windshield on the passenger side. Wasn't very tough, like 6 nuts & lifted it up, frame, glass & all. Reinstalling was about the same.

BTW, what happened to the long 5 panel mirror you installed a while back?

east tx skier
03-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Bill, I was waiting for you to ask about the Rawley Vision. ;)

I've still got it and use it from time to time. No plans to sell it, but as you know, the twin mirrors on the open bow are easier to deal with.

This mount is identical to what my Father-in-law has on his 98 205. The little bimini mount doohickies mount to the underside of the windshield frame and the flat piece screws on to them. I suppose I could weld them on, but probably more trouble than it's worth.

Do you have a link for the calabria/sn mount? Will it work with a standard CIPA comp mirror?

AirJunky
03-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry, I never did find a link to the Calabria/Nautique brackets listed for sale. I had to order them from my local dealer.
Here is the pic of mine again. These are standard Cipa 7"x14" comp mirrors on factory Calabria brackets. There is a small piece of rubber backed aluminum between the set screw & the windshield frame.
http://airjunky.com/temp/dual_mirrors.jpg

As I'm sure your aware now, the 98 windshield frame is a bit different than the 93/94. As I recall it's a bit bigger, which would make for some more room inside for screws before they hit the glass. I have a buddy with a 97 & it's a lot different than my own boat.

Another option would be to mount the bracket you have on a piece of aluminum angle that would go around 3 sides of the windshield frame similar to how most of the aftermarket Cipa brackets do. Thread one side of the bracket & use a pair of set screws & it should work fine.

east tx skier
03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, I've got to run by my local dealer, who has informed me he has a bracket like the one on your boat. I may just grab that and be done with it. The bracket above did not cost me much, so I may just sell it or give it to a family member.