PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Restoration

insocova
03-05-2006, 09:22 PM
www.geocities.com/insocova Let me know what yall think so far...

erkoehler
03-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Looks good!!!! Lots of great pictures.....it was definetly in ROUGH shape in the beginning.

erkoehler
03-05-2006, 09:29 PM
No bumpers, fenders, protection for the hull against the dock :eek:

I hope that isn't new gelcoat???

ski_king
03-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Looks great.

And mooring with rubrail against carpeted posts is one of the best ways out there.

Cloaked
03-05-2006, 09:55 PM
You have done an excellent job in restoring this boat. What patience and diligence that I would not have had to see that project through. Again, a great job.

Nice cap.

Nice chick...she's got the best seat in the boat.

6ballsisall
03-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Exceptionally wonderful job!! You and Jeremy79 deserve your own BLOG on here about your restoration of the 79 model

Cloaked
03-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Exceptionally wonderful job!! You and Jeremy79 deserve your own BLOG on here about your restoration of the 79 model
Don't cut in on Phil-Phil's blog... LOL...

88 PS190
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Was the boom with the boat? or just its mount?

additionally, how did you determine the curvature on the bottom of the new stringers?

insocova
03-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Yea, The guy is supposed to look for the boom, said he will call if he finds it. The stringer contour was pretty tough. My dad's neighbor replaced the stringers in his old boat (78 s&s) and his input and experience helped tremendously. He and my dad have owned Mastercrafts since before I was born in 1980, so I sure have it made in the suggestion area. So we laid out the old stringers, took lots of measurements and angles and transferred them to the new boards. They fit really good, but weren't perfect. Once we braced them in, we mixed resin-jelly (which dries rock solid), and smeared it in the voids. once it hardened, step one was complete.

Farmer Ted
03-06-2006, 07:44 AM
That's amazing! Good job on the restoration and the documentation.

Farmer Ted
03-06-2006, 07:45 AM
No bumpers, fenders, protection for the hull against the dock :eek:

I hope that isn't new gelcoat???

You ride the short bus to the forum today?

kjohnson
03-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I really enjoyed looking at the pics. Do you know how many hours of labor you put in? What kind of wake does it have - good for skiing?

jayderwin1
03-06-2006, 07:49 AM
very nice!

insocova
03-06-2006, 09:10 AM
No. New RED metalflake and gelcoat will come soon. as soon as I get home from business. new decals too

X-45
03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
www.geocities.com/insocova Let me know what yall think so far...

I think this should be the benchmark of documentation for all restorations. Excellent! :toast:

X-45
03-06-2006, 06:26 PM
"The boat sat in this field for twelve years uncovered, unwinterized."

"Changed the oil, cleaned the fuel tank, new lines, belts, hoses, and filters"

Did you not have to pull the head's, freeze plugs still intact? After 12 years I'd think there would be some internal rust. :confused:

insocova
03-07-2006, 04:00 AM
i plan on updating the site as time goes on. Yes, twelve years in currituck, nc. I expected the worst, but the engine ran. Freeze plugs are still original, great compression, no rust, no water in the oil. Trans fluid was a little milky though. I paid 500 dollars for the boat and 800 est. dollars later, She ran. I was out of town when the boat went into the water for the first time since I bought it. Mom and Dad tried it out. They both slalomed behind it many times that day and said the wake was better than thier 2003 prostar 197. My dad's neighbor Wayne barefooted behind it that day. All of this happened before the complete teardown. When I got back off a business trip, I skied behind it many times for about two months before we took it out for the last time. Oh yea, I did have the prop redone and the shaft straightened to get rid of some wicked vibration. When she came out, we put her on my dads trailer so I could redo the original.

insocova
03-07-2006, 04:05 AM
No, I don't plan on going into the motor at this time. The boat has 703 orig hrs and I don't think it needs it. The guy across the street still has my dads 81 s&s and it has 1800 hrs on the original motor. I might kick myself for not going into the motor, but it runs too damn good. Everyone that has heard it run says it's the smoothest running motor they have ever heard. So what if I have to pull it in a year or two. Like I said, I only paid 500 bucks for the whole boat. If I had to buy a brand new chev 350 efi, to replace it with, I would do it in a hot minute. It's worth it. But for now, I'm just gonna ride with what I got.

Cloaked
03-07-2006, 06:44 AM
No, I don't plan on going into the motor at this time. The boat has 703 orig hrs and I don't think it needs it. The guy across the street still has my dads 81 s&s and it has 1800 hrs on the original motor. I might kick myself for not going into the motor, but it runs too damn good. Everyone that has heard it run says it's the smoothest running motor they have ever heard. So what if I have to pull it in a year or two. Like I said, I only paid 500 bucks for the whole boat. If I had to buy a brand new chev 350 efi, to replace it with, I would do it in a hot minute. It's worth it. But for now, I'm just gonna ride with what I got.Most excellent idea. If it isn't broke....then why fix it, right? Again, good job on the restoration.

X-45
03-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Like I said, I only paid 500 bucks for the whole boat.

500 DOLLARS. How did you find it. This is like the cars in barns thread.

ski_king
03-07-2006, 07:03 AM
.............. Yes, twelve years in currituck, nc. I expected the worst, but the engine ran. Freeze plugs are still original, great compression, no rust, no water in the oil. Trans fluid was a little milky though. I paid 500 dollars for the boat and 800 est. dollars later, She ran. ..............

Currituk, NC as in the outer banks?

Great restoration!

H20skeefreek
03-07-2006, 08:09 AM
I really enjoyed looking at the pics. Do you know how many hours of labor you put in? What kind of wake does it have - good for skiing?
Kjohnson,
In my opinion, and I think many one here would agree that the old stars and stripes boats have some of the best wakes. The problem is when you get short-line, the spray from the hull is bad, but I wouldn't know anything about that. You are welcome to come out and ski behind my boat sometime.

Kevin 89MC
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
I was wondering what the price was. $500? Dude, that's stealing! ;)
Sweet resto job! If I had the time & space, I'd get into that in a heartbeat! I agree, no need to dig into the engine if it tested out good.
Those old boats are so cool! Congrats, and keep the pics coming.