PDA

View Full Version : Bare Foot boom advice please

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I have decided I want to pick up a used bare foot boom for my boat. Mainly for teaching people to ski. But I also have a couple friends that would like to barefoot. What I need to know is what style do I need to fit a 1991 Prostar? I have seen different styles: straight, contoured, etc.... I imagine someone here must have the same boat as me with a boom or some knowledge about this. What can you tell me about it? I have been looking on ebay and ski-it-again. Can you buy one of these for $200 to $250 used? :confused: Are there any other things I need to be aware of?

I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!!! :) :wavey:

erkoehler
03-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Ump,

Either a contoured or straight boom will work for your boat. I would recommend the straight for your boat, as that will keep you as far forward as possible, thus keeping you out of the spray.

Straight booms are CHEAPER as well, and you can definetly find one used for $200.

Make sure that you inspect all the connections and cables prior to use if you are buying used.

jkski
03-04-2006, 12:14 PM
If you have the option, make sure to get one with 2 cables, the extra safety is nice and they seem to be more sturdy. Barefoot Intl. makes what I feel to be the best one on the market.

03-04-2006, 12:37 PM
2 cables. OK. So 2 cables hook on the front hull ring on the bow, and go to 2 different spots on the boom? any other ideas of where I can find a used boom?

:confused:

Leroy
03-04-2006, 01:09 PM
The obvious http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Barefoot-International-Straight-Boom-2878_W0QQitemZ7223048333QQcategoryZ47363QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

erkoehler
03-04-2006, 01:19 PM
2 cables. OK. So 2 cables hook on the front hull ring on the bow, and go to 2 different spots on the boom? any other ideas of where I can find a used boom?

:confused:

That is how the cable system works, and also make sure that the foam covers that go by the clip for the bow are in place, otherwise it will leave marks on your hull.

I also put a chaomis between the boom and gunnel for extra protection.

JohnnyB
03-04-2006, 01:21 PM
I believe I've got a contour boom on my 92PS190.....I can't picture a straight boom working on the 91-94 because of the position of the windshield relative to the pylon. Two reasons i'd go contour....I think you'd have better height adhustment/range to accommodate smaller skiers and you can also add a height adjuster to allow you to have both your boom and skylon on at the same time while maintaining full/quick height adjustability.

My :twocents:

You may try to call Barefoot International (get the # off their website) and see if they have a demo unit they'd sell you.

Jerseydave
03-04-2006, 02:57 PM
I had a contour boom on my 94 prostar, worked great!
I agree on 2 cables, and we would put a towel between the boom and the gunnel of the boat.
Also the contour boom mounts lower on the pylon where it's thicker.

We used it for barefoot 99% of the time, but it's a great teaching aid for anything. (I even have one now for my 230VRS)

whitedog
03-04-2006, 03:22 PM
UMP you have mail

03-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Got your PM. :) Thanks.

SO it sounds like you need to put something on the gunnel to keep the boom from scuffing up the finish? towel is good? any other ideas? any other concerns?

jkski
03-04-2006, 03:49 PM
You can try a piece of foam pipe wrap that can be found at any home depot/lowes, etc. It fits great but you may want to double it up for extra padding.
As far as where to get a deal, I have heard of others that have contacted Barefoot International directly and got a great deal on a blem or a demo unit. Might give it a try and see what you come up with.

Footin
03-04-2006, 06:55 PM
I agree with Jksi about calling BI direct for a blem, I did this a few years ago for a BFsuit and got "last years colors" for 125.00. (I should have bought two)

03-05-2006, 04:25 PM
OK, I just looked at my boat. The pylon is right in line with the end of the windshield frame. I think it needs to be a contoured type boom to fit on it from what I can tell. The gunnel swoops up to meet the windshield and I think a straight one would rub on something..... at least thats how it looks to me. :confused:

peason
03-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I would agree. I also like the fact with a contour boom, you can easily step over it to get to anything you need.

JohnnyB
03-05-2006, 07:00 PM
UMP....our boats are near identical....per my prior post, I don't know how you'd even use a straight boom.

Spend a few extra $$$ for the contour, you'll be happy you did. :dance:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-05-2006, 07:21 PM
I've got a '91 that came with a BI straight boom when I bought it. The boom did work although as you mention, has to be angled slightly back to miss the slope of the gunnel up to the the windshield. I custom bent the first section of my boom to match the coutour version with a hydraulic pipe bender and like that set up much better.

There was a site that UW Stout's water ski team ran where you could order factory blems/seconds from BI. I ordered a height adjuster a couple months ago but the site doesn't work now.....as suggested, give BI a call directly to find out what is available.

tex
03-05-2006, 07:33 PM
i did the lowes pipe insulation thing. works like a charm.

whitedog
03-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Here is the email for the guy that handles BI's blems and used equipment. Bought a boom handle from him last month. Very reaswon able.

Daniel_Lundt@cargill.com

milkmania
03-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Here is the email for the guy that handles BI's blems and used equipment. Bought a boom handle from him last month. Very reaswon able.

Daniel_Lundt@cargill.com

just spoke with a young man by the last name of Parker at Barefoot International and he said that they do get returns/blems/ and other stuff in occasion, but he didn't have anything come in as of Friday. He also mentioned that Dan Lundt would be a great source to start with for Reconditioned boom poles.

*edit:
sent a message to Dan Lundt inviting him to team talk:headbang:

SkiDog
03-06-2006, 11:29 AM
I had an 88 Prostar that had a boom. I've still got the boom, and it has a double cable, so if anybody knows if it will work, I will let it go CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its also a straight boom.
Eddie

03-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I would snap that up in a heartbeat, but after I looked at the boat, I really think I need a contoured style boom. I am sure someone else can use it though!!!! :)

jbfootin
03-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Some times they have booms on barfootcentral.com. I just checked and there are none right now, but they do have them. Also, go with the curved! :twocents:

Barefoot57
03-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Fellow TMC'ers!

Wow! I have missed this post! I posted a message a while back, but didn't get much interest and lost track of the thread. I'm sorry to see that I had left a lot of people "hanging." I apologize.

The Barefoot International / Fly High Used/Refurbished and Blemished Equipment Outlet Store is run by the UW-Stout Water Ski Team. In order to purchase products from Barefoot International / Fly High that are either used, refurbished, blemished or factory seconds, you need to visit www.uwstoutwaterski.com (http://www.uwstoutwaterski.com) and click on the Outlet Store logo. The website is back up and running.

Simply, fill out the form and click submit. I will get back to you as soon as I can (usually 1 business day) to let you know if the product is available in the Outlet stock, and what the price is.

THIS IS YOUR ONLY SOURCE TO THESE TYPE OF ITEMS AND SAVINGS!

We handle this exclusively for Barefoot International / Fly High. If you are looking for an item at a good price, stop by the website! We can't guarantee that all the products are available all the time, but it is worth checking.

Email BIFHoutletstore@yahoo.com if you have any questions!

Thank you!

Barefoot57
03-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Barefoot International / Fly High items priced to sell in like-new condition at closeout prices! First come, first serve! www.uwstoutwaterski.com (http://www.uwstoutwaterski.com)

W206 - BI Tower Boom - $575.00 (2 available)
B205 - BI Deluxe Gunnerl Mount Boom - $325.00 (3 available)
B204-V - BI Deluxe Quad V-Drive Boom - $350.00 (4 available)
B300 - Split Flotation Iron Endurance Wetsuit - $115.00 (Many available)
W291 - The Cage by Fly High - $800.00 (3 available)
W2923 - Pro X Crossbar Tower by Fly High - $1100.00
W2922 - Pro X Rolled Cage by Fly High - $700.00

Email me now at BIFHoutletstore@yahoo.com, or check out www.uwstoutwaterski.com (http://www.uwstoutwaterski.com), and click the Outlet Store logo!

These will not last long at this time of the season!

Barefoot57
03-25-2006, 05:52 PM
TMCOwners,

Here is EVERYTHING that is left in the Barefoot International/ Fly High Used/Refurbished and Blemished stock! It NEEDS to go to make room for the new equipment. Check out www.uwstoutwaterski.com (http://www.uwstoutwaterski.com), and click on the Outlet Store logo to inquire about Barefoot International / Fly High Used/Refurbished and Blemished Equipment, or email us at BIFHoutletstore@yahoo.com if you see something you need on the list below! Equipment is being added to this list frequently, so check in if you need something at a DISCOUNTED price! All sales are first come, first serve!

www.uwstoutwaterski.com (http://www.uwstoutwaterski.com), or BIFHoutletstore@yahoo.com

Barefoot International Booms
W206 Tower Boom – 2
W207 Tower Boom – 1
B205 Gunnel Mount Boom – 3
B202 Universal Contour Boom – 1
B204V Quad V-Drive Boom – 3

Barefoot International Ropes & Handles
B228 Easy Footer w/Instructional Video – 2
B219 Front Toe Handle – 1 (WORN)
B220 Jr. Front Toe Handle – 1
B223 Front Wakes Handle – 1
B227 Barefoot Tak Line – 5 (w/o 10’ extensions)

Barefoot International Wetsuits
B290 BLU Sleeveless– 2 XL, 2 XXXL
B291 BLK Sleeveless – 2 XXL, 2 XXXL
B295 RED Short Sleeve – 1 XL, 1 MD
B300 Endurance – 4 XS, 8 SM, 1 MD, 2 L, 6 XXL
B455 Iron Shorts – 3 XL, 1 XS (XS is WORN)
B505 Drysuit – 1 XS, 1 SM
Other Miscellaneous suits and sizes available!

Fly High Wakeboard Equipment and Pylons
W901V V-Drive Pylon – 4
W401 Delron Swivel – 3

Fly High Fat Sac Ballast Systems
W410 Convertible Fat Seat – 3
W409 Fat Seat – 5
W406 Fat Sac Air Pump – 7
W701 Pro X V-Drive Sac Set – 1 Single Sac
W703 Pro X Side Sac Set – 1 set BLK, 1 set GRY
W706 Pro X Open Bow Triangle – 1 YLW/WHT, 1 GRY
W708 Pro X Nautique Wedge Sac Set – 1 single BLU, 1 single GRY
ALL FITTINGS SOLD SEPERATLEY from the BI/FH Used/Refurbished and Blemished Equipment Outlet Store

Fly High Wakeboard Handles
Pro V Wakeboard Handle – 3

Footin
03-25-2006, 06:06 PM
How much for the barefoot suits? Are they ripped or anything or just last years stock?

I am interested in the blue xl.

Barefoot57
03-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Please email us at BIFHoutletstore@yahoo.com for more information and prices on each item!

Thank you!

Barefoot57
04-02-2006, 06:53 PM
TMCOwners!

An update from the Barefoot International / Fly High Used/Refurbished and Blemished Equipment Outlet Store (http://www.uwstoutwaterski.com/bifh/BI_FH_Outlet_Store.htm)....

Barefoot International Iron westuit PRICES HAVE BEEN SLASHED on used/refurbished and blemished inventory. There are a lot of suits available and they need to go! Prices have been cut to get them out the door and on you!

Many styles, colors and sizes available. Please visit the Barefoot International / Fly High Used/Refurbished and Blemished Equipment Outlet Store (http://www.uwstoutwaterski.com/bifh/BI_FH_Outlet_Store.htm) to inquire about Iron wetsuits and other BI/FH equipment at discounted prices!

A full list of wetsuits available will be posted tomorrow! Email us at BIFHoutletstore@yahoo.com with any questions!