PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Options

squawfish
09-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Just picked up a 1982 Stars and Stripes. The boat is in fair condition, but needs a little lovin'. We basicaly turned the key and used it the last two months of the summer. The boat ran great and never left us dead. Now winter is fast approaching and I'm ready to dig into it a little. I would like to redo the the front bow bunk. One question I had was about the metal piece that come up and the winch hook goes through when you pull it in. Is that necessary, or is it just found on older trailers. I definitly want something that works and will not hurt the boat when trailered. Anybody got any ideas ?
Pics are included. I removed the bunks on the bow stop, thats the M shaped piece on the pic.
http://webpages.charter.net/pakim/pic1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/pakim/pic2.jpg
Is this M shaped bow stop (Bunks removed) enough to keep the boat steady for trailering ?

Farmer Ted
09-19-2004, 11:26 PM
wait for BriOED to chime in, I know he modified his trailer to get rid of the metal bar.

H20skeefreek
09-20-2004, 07:04 AM
wait for BriOED to chime in, I know he modified his trailer to get rid of the metal bar.

come on Bri, tell him how it's done, then you can come up and get rid of my bar!!

east tx skier
09-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Brian posted pictures of his trailer mod on the old board. You are planning to reattach the v-blocks on the front, right?

Ric
09-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Uhhhh Is that blood on the floor?

Mag_Red
09-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Here's how the newer trailers look up front. Maybe you could have some one fabricate this piece for you. There is a slot in the V so your bow eye doesn't get caught at this point when you load your boat. I hear that was a problem with previous designs.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=537

east tx skier
09-21-2004, 12:44 PM
I think the bow eye catching was a problem on more recent trailers. Not a problem on my 93, even after I redid the V-bunks and forgot to leave room. You have to have my trailer pretty deep in the water before the bow eye will hit the v-block.

Ric
09-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Mag is that a 209? I did look at an 03 197 that had the bunks which were a problem. They were close together and supposedly caused alot of drag which forced the carpet on the bunks to fail. The carpet was definitely torn on the 03 trailer I looked at.
Squaw I'm thinking you fab you a post like the new ones in mag's link and mount a boat buddy to it and you will love it!

Mag_Red
09-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Mag is that a 209? I did look at an 03 197 that had the bunks which were a problem. They were close together and supposedly caused alot of drag which forced the carpet on the bunks to fail. The carpet was definitely torn on the 03 trailer I looked at.
Squaw I'm thinking you fab you a post like the new ones in mag's link and mount a boat buddy to it and you will love it!Good eye Ric! It's 2004 209

ktn_cmu
09-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Uhhhh Is that blood on the floor?

I saw that too...so, is it...

squawfish
09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks Guys...

p.s That's not blood...red paint. Last time I use my garage to build a little league float !!!!

Red paint, green paint, yellow paint.....It's all on my shop floor.

:uglyhamme

Squawfish